I couldn’t find my last post about using clingan 5 Adama 4 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I couldn’t find my last post about using clingan 5 Adama 4

Reaction Score
Here is the flaw in your analysis. The other team isn't going to move out with Adama and the middle will be completely clogged for Clingan or anyone who wants to drive the ball. Adama isn't enough of a threat as a shooter to warrant someone within 10 feet of him on the perimeter.
That’s not a given , since it’s never been tried . Hurley has had opportunities to try it a should get more. It’s worth to have that ace in the hole unless Sampson is the man.

Reaction Score
That’s not a given , since it’s never been tried . Hurley has had opportunities to try it a should get more. It’s worth to have that ace in the hole unless Sampson is the man.

We already know exactly how other teams choose to defend Adama on the 3 point line.

Reaction Score
Adama is having trouble getting the ball inside even with 4 out. To me you play your best players and work it out. Clingan is one of our best players as is Sanogo. Sanogo isnt going to win nba points being surrounded inside all year without continuing to show in/out skill. Im not asking to start and run this team like this for 25 min--im talking 3 min per half. Lets get Clingan minutes up to 15-20
So your solution to Adama having trouble getting the ball in the paint is putting Clingan in and clogging up the paint even more?

Reaction Score
So your solution to Adama having trouble getting the ball in the paint is putting Clingan in and clogging up the paint even more?

Good lord, this narrative really gets old. Why putting Clingan and Adama together means clogging up the paint more? Xavier played 2 of Nunge, Freemantle and Hunter pretty much the entire game, the result? They out rebounded and outscored us handily.

This argument sounds even weaker when our guards are not exactly dribbling drive and getting in the lanes.

I say, clog the paint and get more rebounds and second chance points or blocks, and open up our perimeter shooting game.

Reaction Score
Good lord, this narrative really gets old. Why putting Clingan and Adama together means clogging up the paint more? Xavier played 2 of Nunge, Freemantle and Hunter pretty much the entire game, the result? They out rebounded and outscored us handily.

This argument sounds even weaker when our guards are not exactly dribbling drive and getting in the lanes.

I say, clog the paint and get more rebounds or clocks, and open up our perimeter shooting game.
Because Xavier was already playing off all our non-shooters without having 2 bigs on the floor. And Xavier did not outrebound us, it was 38-31 in favor of UConn and we had 13 offensive rebounds

Reaction Score
One loss has em’ reaching for the antidepressants but I want, no I need more DC out there, and I say that even if it hurts in the short term or leads to losses. Floor time he gets even better.

Reaction Score
How many times are we going to do this? After the last game especially this is a ridiculous questions.

Neither AS nor DC have the lateral speed to stay in front of any fours. Shoot, they both struggle against mobile 5’s 1v1 on defense. Any team that sees us go big is going to go five out like Nova and go right to the rim. Offensively, when we have a size advantage our offense stagnates trying to force the ball inside and we go through huge droughts.

This is just such an absurd take covered ad nauseam. I don’t disagree that the rotation between the two of them should get a hard look and probably needs changing, but anyone who watches this team and thinks “ya or problem is not enough size” is watching something else.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This lineup may actually be able to work offensively if Sanogo was a better passer. Teams would not be able to double him with Clingan as a lob threat on the other side. He’s also pretty good working on the perimeter driving to the rim. But yeah if teams double him and we can’t make them pay because he struggles passing then it’s a no go.

Reaction Score
We can’t lose sight of the fact that next year’s class is one of the country’s best and we’ll be oozing with talent. I’m thinking Sanogo and Hawkins are gone and Clingan ( I’m licking my chops) is playing big minutes. Not to mention key transfers that he will snag. Danny is doing just fine.

Reaction Score
Is there any factual information as to the current status of S Johnson?
Is he participating in any of practices? If so, to what extent?
Information emanating from UConn concerning this player is non existent,
From what we viewed in last couple of games, his on floor presence would have been a plus.
Ciao

Reaction Score
this is not some knee jerk reaction after tough road loss against a very good Xavier team on a hot streak:

I’d love DH to make some adjustments on the line-up:

Play DC at 5 for starter minutes simply because he is just too good to play behind AS. He play both ends better than AS, provides rim protection, rebounding and lob threat, this is +

Equally importantly move AS to 4, with his skills around basketball and newly developed 3 point shot, this is +

move AK to spell Ajax at 3, so he won’t be abused and outmuscled at 4, but with AJax /AK combo, this makes our 3 position the best in the country.

Samson, RS are backing up at 4/5.
It’s fair to say that there may be a few minutes a game where Donovan and Adama should play together, depending on the opponent. But it shouldn’t be more than that. I think the key is making sure Donovan can get at least 15 minutes per game. He’s simply too good to only pay 7 minutes against Xavier.

But IMO your proposal of using Donovan, Adama and Karoban together as starters would drastically reduce our athleticism. We’re 14-1 for a reason. I think there are tweaks that need to be made after the Xavier game but we don’t need drastic changes.

Reaction Score
He's a difference maker and should get more minutes. Even at the expense of Adama. Why? Because you can't teach 7'0 ft, great hands, great passer, shotblocking, etc. Free Donovan!
This is where people’s exuberance for the backup QB kills all the arguments. As an example he might become a good passer, but he has 7 assists all year. That includes many games where he played double digit minutes and against inferior opponents. There is no factual evidence that he is a GREAT passer yet. I’m a fan and agree he is better than most people who complained that he never played any competition by staying at BCHS.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You aren't going to sit the NBE POY but DC needs to play more minutes. If AS had worked on his handle and hitting mid-range shooting during the off season UConn could have the luxury of playing both big men at the same time regularly. It appears he didn't so it won't happen and will most likely force him to return another year. He is not NBA ready. Jeff Adrien enjoyed some NBA success due to that mid-range capability.

Yeah, because what Hurley’s done so far this year is just “subpar”.
If anyone thought this year we’d be undefeated champs, you’re dreaming.
We’ve got a national title contender. They are few and far in between. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Nobody claimed that DH has been subpar but he hasnt been in a position where it was close to losing in the final minutes this season. We have seen him there in the past and some of those ghosts reappeared yesterday.
AS has to play D. He cant fear fouling out.

Being a NC contender is what UConn should be every year. Winning 4 in less than 25 years is not few and far between and every other program in all of MCBB would kill for that success

Reaction Score
You aren't going to sit the NBE POY but DC needs to play more minutes. If AS had worked on his handle and hitting mid-range shooting during the off season UConn could have the luxury of playing both big men at the same time regularly. It appears he didn't so it won't happen and will most likely force him to return another year. He is not NBA ready. Jeff Adrien enjoyed some NBA success due to that mid-range capability.

Yeah, because what Hurley’s done so far this year is just “subpar”.
If anyone thought this year we’d be undefeated champs, you’re dreaming.
We’ve got a national title contender. They are few and far in between. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Nobody claimed that DH has been subpar but he hasnt been in a position where it was close to losing in the final minutes this season. We have seen him there in the past and some of those ghosts reappeared yesterday.
AS has to play D. He cant fear fouling out.

Being a NC contender is what UConn should be every year. Winning 4 in less than 25 years is not few and far between and every other program in all of MCBB would kill for that success

If Sanogo does return next year as you suggest might happen, the same dilemma as to Clingan's minutes remains, unless they evenly split time, or Sanogo plays the 4 with DC at the 5, at the same time.

Clingan in an interview did say he thought Sanogo would leave, making room for his getting substantial minutes as the starter and heir-apparent at the 5.

Will be interesting to see how things wash out. The other unknown in Samson's role when he returns. What if he has a decent touch around the basket and develops into a 4 with offensive capability?

Let the games move on and we will see!

Reaction Score
How many times are we going to do this? After the last game especially this is a ridiculous questions.

Neither AS nor DC have the lateral speed to stay in front of any fours. Shoot, they both struggle against mobile 5’s 1v1 on defense. Any team that sees us go big is going to go five out like Nova and go right to the rim. Offensively, when we have a size advantage our offense stagnates trying to force the ball inside and we go through huge droughts.

This is just such an absurd take covered ad nauseam. I don’t disagree that the rotation between the two of them should get a hard look and probably needs changing, but anyone who watches this team and thinks “ya or problem is not enough size” is watching something else.

You want absurd read your take especially pointing to the last game versus X as to why this is ridiculous then you’re blind. No one is pointing to “size” in particular they are talking match ups on both ends of the court. And please “go 5 out and come to the rim” with those 2 playing in a zone see how that works for you. And good luck guarding them both and rebounding without putting in some size.

Fremantle and Nunge had their way and you kept your maybe 4th best (maybe better) on the bench for 33 minutes of the game because you love Sanogo, who’s getting torched defensively? Well then play them together make teams adjust, imagine that. That would be something he didn’t do the last 10 minutes of the game himself. People miss shots bad when they have that 7’2 kid with his hands straight up just because of that. Did you see Dixon for Nova, missed rim on 2 bunnies just happy to get shots over him. Fremantle started backing him down but knew that wasn’t going to work but heck I can fade away and take a jumper over him lol shoved it down his throat. But let’s sit this impact player 33 minutes of a game right? That’s the only absurd thing in this whole thought process. Don’t care if it’s together or if he sits Sanogo DC needs more minutes especially in certain matchups and especially when we can’t shoot it well, change the dynamic let them adjust for once.

Reaction Score
Is there any factual information as to the current status of S Johnson?
Is he participating in any of practices? If so, to what extent?
Information emanating from UConn concerning this player is non existent,
From what we viewed in last couple of games, his on floor presence would have been a plus.
Ciao

Reaction Score

LMAO, we haven't done it yet. The definition of insanity is to keep this lineup and keep letting 2 bigs feast on us. Wahab and Akok, Nunge and Freemantle, even Dixon and Slater. Ajax, Karaban and Newton are not good enough offensively for 4 out. Nova is probably the only team that can go 5 out. Let em drive and Clingan will clean them up. Our offense may stagnate when forcing it inside because Sanogo is double and triple teamed because they don't need to defend Ajax hanging out at the perimeter and Sanogo doesn't pass out. Size at the 4 is a huge issue because Karaban is so easily bullied.

A team like Arizona who plays two really good bigs will obliterate us. Its not sustainable if we want to go all the way.

Why not try it?

Reaction Score
It’s needed. Adama is really a 4 anyways. They both operate well in traffic. Clingan is a great passer and Adama can toss lobs to him if the opposing big men double. Adama would feast on 4’s. Clingan is too good to be on the bench. Would hate to see him transfer.
It’s needed. Adama is really a 4 anyways. They both operate well in traffic. Clingan is a great passer and Adama can toss lobs to him if the opposing big men double. Adama would feast on 4’s. Clingan is too good to be on the bench. Would hate to see him transfer.
Adama is not a 4.

Reaction Score
Why not try it?
If you're going to lose, you might as well do it experimenting different lineups. Maybe thats why we feel this loss was worse than it is, because we didn't learn anything except what not to keep doing. No one is saying this is full time, just throw a wrench at the other team. Make them panic and change their style. make them shoot it. Xavier only had 12 out of 83!!! perimeter points. That's nuts.

Reaction Score
To me it’s simple
Clingan and Adama are both top 5 players on this team. I think in basketball u want to get your best players on the floor as much as u can.
If it were “simple” then Purdue’s Matt Painter would have played both Edey and Williams on the floor together. They were clearly two of the three best Boilmakers last year. Along with Edey.

You just don’t see teams playing two non-shooting bigs on the court at the same time anymore.

Reaction Score
If it were “simple” then Purdue’s Matt Painter would have played both Edey and Williams on the floor together. They were clearly two of the three best Boilmakers last year. Along with Edey.

You just don’t see teams playing two non-shooting bigs on the court at the same time anymore.
I always questioned that. Not sure why it has to be so bipolar. And of course Purdue underwhelmed. They were my favorite and fizzled out early.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom