I couldn’t find my last post about using clingan 5 Adama 4 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I couldn’t find my last post about using clingan 5 Adama 4

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Since day 1, I've been saying not only should #32 and #11 play together, they should start. When Adama goes pro, he'll be a 4. Clingan, by next year at this pace, or by February if we played him more, will be a household name as a big. Both of these guys are outstanding. Play them!

One holdover from last year's team is us sitting with 5-6 points at the 15:00 mark of the 1st half. Don't start anyone that can't score. Like everyone else I'm in awe of Jackson's skills but here's my offensive starting five is Hawkins/Diarra/Karraban/Sanogo/Clingan. All of them are scorers.

Diarra has that driving mentality we need and he'd sure have plenty of options to dish.
Right now, Sanogo is a victim of his success and hard work. See a commercial for UCONN? Everyone we play keys in on him, and rightfully so. That's why he can barely move down there now. Line up young Mr. Clingan with him. Boom.

Reaction Score
If it were “simple” then Purdue’s Matt Painter would have played both Edey and Williams on the floor together. They were clearly two of the three best Boilmakers last year. Along with Edey.

You just don’t see teams playing two non-shooting bigs on the court at the same time anymore.
Tubelis averages 0.5 made 3's per game and Ballo 0. How come Arizona can do successfully what no one else supposedly can? Serious question.

Reaction Score
If it were “simple” then Purdue’s Matt Painter would have played both Edey and Williams on the floor together. They were clearly two of the three best Boilmakers last year. Along with Edey.

You just don’t see teams playing two non-shooting bigs on the court at the same time anymore.

First off, love your scouting reports!

A couple questions:

1. JC played Boone and Emeka in 2014 champ team, he played Boone as starter early in the season, and got rewarded and in fact, Boone got so good with his rebounding, blocks and passing it showed in tight game vs Duke. He was put in the line up to perfectly complement Emeka. Boone is not known for his offense. I’m going to go out on a limb that DC is more advanced than Boone at the same stage.

2. Are you saying that Adama is not a threat for mid range shot? If he is decent with 3 point shot, he should try pop those mid range jumpers and is capable of making them.

3. Our team is deep and it showed in the early season games but we did not really get exposed until now we have a bulls eye on our back. Every other team in the nation is going after us, scouting us and game plan to beat us. Now the secret is out after Xavier game, what’s our counter move? Our depth is our advantage and why not experiment and perfect it for the post season? Inertia is regression.

Reaction Score
Since day 1, I've been saying not only should #32 and #11 play together, they should start. When Adama goes pro, he'll be a 4. Clingan, by next year at this pace, or by February if we played him more, will be a household name as a big. Both of these guys are outstanding. Play them!

One holdover from last year's team is us sitting with 5-6 points at the 15:00 mark of the 1st half. Don't start anyone that can't score. Like everyone else I'm in awe of Jackson's skills but here's my offensive starting five is Hawkins/Diarra/Karraban/Sanogo/Clingan. All of them are scorers.

Diarra has that driving mentality we need and he'd sure have plenty of options to dish.
Right now, Sanogo is a victim of his success and hard work. See a commercial for UCONN? Everyone we play keys in on him, and rightfully so. That's why he can barely move down there now. Line up young Mr. Clingan with him. Boom.
The Boneyard really needs to be shutdown for a few days after a loss. How do these suggestions keep getting worse?

Reaction Score
The Boneyard really needs to be shutdown for a few days after a loss. How do these suggestions keep getting worse?
What is your suggestion for not allowing 71 non perimeter points? Or being one Calcaterra Christmas miracle away from losing to an awful Georgetown team at home?

Or just stay off the yard for a few days if you don't want to discuss a loss. Let the rest of us talk basketball.

Reaction Score
What is your suggestion for not allowing 71 non perimeter points? Or being one Calcaterra Christmas miracle away from losing to an awful Georgetown team at home?

Or just stay off the yard for a few days if you don't want to discuss a loss. Let the rest of us talk basketball.
I'm fine discussing the loss with posters who aren't suggesting ridiculous ideas like benching Andre Jackson in favor of Hassan Diarra

And as for cutting down on the non perimeter points, we should be improving our perimeter defense, not throwing Adama at the 4 like you keep suggesting and letting everyone blow by him. You're also just throwing out non-sense stats like "71 non-perimeter points" because 31 of those came in the mid-range

Reaction Score
I'm fine discussing the loss with posters who aren't suggesting ridiculous ideas like benching Andre Jackson in favor of Hassan Diarra

And as for cutting down on the non perimeter points, we should be improving our perimeter defense, not throwing Adama at the 4 like you keep suggesting and letting everyone blow by him. You're also just throwing out non-sense stats like "71 non-perimeter points" because 31 of those came in the mid-range
So cut down on non-perimeter pts by improving perimeter defense which is already really good, got it.

Reaction Score

Adama will never play the 4 at pro level. He is supposed to guard Tatum and Durant? He will be a small ball 5 who can shoot 3s, set picks and be a rim runner.

Reaction Score
So cut down on non-perimeter pts by improving perimeter defense which is already really good, got it.
I mean, yeah basically. We've been really good on defense all year so there's no need to overreact and make the huge lineup changes you're suggesting over 1 game where it was bad. You're making my point for me

1999GoodSon

Reaction Score

@navery12 No one is suggesting benching Jackson. The young man is a defensive highlight reel. I don't criticize players, they're all developing and deserve our support. In case you missed it, in basketball you need to score quickly and consistently. Having a lightning quick driving guard start the game to dictate pace and dish to the paint and the wings can fix some of that. If we had scored our team average it was a W.

Reaction Score
Because Xavier was already playing off all our non-shooters without having 2 bigs on the floor. And Xavier did not outrebound us, it was 38-31 in favor of UConn and we had 13 offensive rebounds
We only out rebounded them because we had 39 misses and 13 offensive rebounds. They had had 24 misses and 4 offensive rebounds.
Chucking up desperation 3's in the last two minutes didn't help.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
I’ve been up north snowboarding since Saturday after the game. Haven’t been on since until now. I knew this place would be a meltdown after a tough loss to a good team. Lol

Reaction Score
We only out rebounded them because we had 39 misses and 13 offensive rebounds. They had had 24 misses and 4 offensive rebounds.
Chucking up desperation 3's in the last two minutes didn't help.
Exactly, UConn got 33% of the available offensive rebounds and Xavier got 17% of theirs, we outrebounded them on both ends of the court

Reaction Score
@navery12 No one is suggesting benching Jackson. The young man is a defensive highlight reel. I don't criticize players, they're all developing and deserve our support. In case you missed it, in basketball you need to score quickly and consistently. Having a lightning quick driving guard start the game to dictate pace and dish to the paint and the wings can fix some of that. If we had scored our team average it was a W.
You suggested we have a starting lineup of Hawkins, Diarra, Karaban, Sanogo, Clingan. In case you missed it, that's 5 players and none of them are Jackson. That's never going to happen, and spending a single second debating it is stupid

1999GoodSon

Reaction Score
You suggested we have a starting lineup of Hawkins, Diarra, Karaban, Sanogo, Clingan. In case you missed it, that's 5 players and none of them are Jackson. That's never going to happen, and spending a single second debating it is stupid
You seem to have really dug in on this. Not starting someone isn't benching them. In your view, he's benching Clingan then right? That young man has the highest ceiling on the team. At his age and size, he already has great hands and a natural feel for the game. I'm not a Johnny come lately to this topic. He dominated against Iowa State. His 74% FG percentage says he should be on the floor. But of course this being the internet, you'll probably think this is also ridiculous

Reaction Score
You seem to have really dug in on this. Not starting someone isn't benching them. In your view, he's benching Clingan then right? That young man has the highest ceiling on the team. At his age and size, he already has great hands and a natural feel for the game. I'm not a Johnny come lately to this topic. He dominated against Iowa State. His 74% FG percentage says he should be on the floor. But of course this being the internet, you'll probably think this is also ridiculous
No because Clingan isn't in the starting lineup. But for your sake I'll stop using the term bench and just say not starting. Not starting Andre Jackson is a stupid idea, and spending a single second dreaming up scenarios for it to happen is a waste of everyone's time. It's never going to happen.

And yes, I do think starting Clingan is ridiculous. We definitely need to find more minutes for him and get him back to his 15 a game, but not by starting him next to Sanogo

Reaction Score
I mean, yeah basically. We've been really good on defense all year so there's no need to overreact and make the huge lineup changes you're suggesting over 1 game where it was bad. You're making my point for me

Something has changed dramatically in the last three games. Maybe it's the quality of the opponents (Georgetown?) but none of our nine P6 opponents shot better than 46.9% on 2's until Georgetown went for 50%, Villanova 58.6% and Xavier 61.5%.

Maybe I'm reading the comments differently, but I don't think people are saying you need to play two bigs together in all games, and even for long periods of time, just when the game situation calls for it or to make the other team change IT'S strategy instead of us always adjusting to theirs. Make them uncomfortable and have to deal with a 7'2" shot blocker more than 7 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
LMAO, we haven't done it yet. The definition of insanity is to keep this lineup and keep letting 2 bigs feast on us. Wahab and Akok, Nunge and Freemantle, even Dixon and Slater. Ajax, Karaban and Newton are not good enough offensively for 4 out. Nova is probably the only team that can go 5 out. Let em drive and Clingan will clean them up. Our offense may stagnate when forcing it inside because Sanogo is double and triple teamed because they don't need to defend Ajax hanging out at the perimeter and Sanogo doesn't pass out. Size at the 4 is a huge issue because Karaban is so easily bullied.

A team like Arizona who plays two really good bigs will obliterate us. Its not sustainable if we want to go all the way.

Why not try it?
Every pair of bigs you mentioned has the foot speed and shooting range to play as a 4. Neither DC nor AS right now can guard mobile 4’s. Our offense is awful forcing the ball into one guy with a size advantage in the post, how is it getting better with two? The spacing that’s so much better this year isn’t just because our shooters are better, it’s also because we’re playing 3 guys who can shoot instead of two on the floor now (AJax being a unicorn and AS). Putting them on the floor together weakens us defensively, makes us too predictable and crowded on offense and would slow down our transition game, which is great. What is the point?

Reaction Score
Who are these fleet footed 4’s? If they exist then perhaps that is not when you use it. Ok to trust AS to chase guards and small forwards 30 feet from the hoop but can’t trust him to move his feet on a power forward 10 feet from the hoop? How many times is acceptable to get beat off the dribble like X did. AS not a rim protector. On Offense it has possibilities like discouraging the AS double team with DC lurking and doing his thing. We have not been driving to the rim with one big in so what are we clogging with two if we are not using the space now? Obviously (I think) Danny would deploy if it was ready but no doubt they are working on it and it will come out eventually. 40 minutes split not enough. Figure it out as an option.

Reaction Score
Every pair of bigs you mentioned has the foot speed and shooting range to play as a 4. Neither DC nor AS right now can guard mobile 4’s. Our offense is awful forcing the ball into one guy with a size advantage in the post, how is it getting better with two? The spacing that’s so much better this year isn’t just because our shooters are better, it’s also because we’re playing 3 guys who can shoot instead of two on the floor now (AJax being a unicorn and AS). Putting them on the floor together weakens us defensively, makes us too predictable and crowded on offense and would slow down our transition game, which is great. What is the point?
Weakens us defensively? Don't have the footspeed? Nunge had the circus layup where he got around Clingan but Nunge is slow as hell, Freemantle is pretty slow footed, Wahab is slow, and Akok is a statue on the perimeter.

Xavier was getting rim runs all day, 41 points off of layups.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity. If we play them at the same time, who is at the high post? Cause Clingan isn’t a threat more than 2 feet from the hoop, and Sanogo isn’t as effective when he’s taking 12 foot contested hooks, and we know his limitations as a playmaker. Both players are at their best when they catch the ball on the low block, and they can’t share it at the same time.

And then defensively, who’s guarding on the perimeter? Most teams play 4 out, which means Sanogo is gonna be jumping into shooters even more often. Sanogo doesn’t have the slowest feet, but do we want him constantly getting switched onto guards more often?

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity. If we play them at the same time, who is at the high post? Cause Clingan isn’t a threat more than 2 feet from the hoop, and Sanogo isn’t as effective when he’s taking 12 foot contested hooks, and we know his limitations as a playmaker. Both players are at their best when they catch the ball on the low block, and they can’t share it at the same time.

And then defensively, who’s guarding on the perimeter? Most teams play 4 out, which means Sanogo is gonna be jumping into shooters even more often. Sanogo doesn’t have the slowest feet, but do we want him constantly getting switched onto guards more often?
Sanogo is already guarding on the perimeter. In 120 minutes of Big East play Sanogo has 0 blocks and he doesn't even seem to be altering shots. Karaban doesn't alter and block shots either. I hate to keep harping on it but we have a 7'2 guy that people are scared to shoot over. We're great when we turn teams over and get to running. Clingan altering everything at the rim and blocking shots are as good as turnovers (he always keeps it inbounds.) They get the team going the other way in transition where they are pretty deadly.

Reaction Score
Obviously Clingan should’ve played more on Saturday but I’ll give Danny a pass considering we were undefeated and he wanted to stick with their normal rotations , but next time we are down in second half please put big man in for more than 7 mins. I’ll give him a pass on this one , just don’t do it again

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sanogo is already guarding on the perimeter. In 120 minutes of Big East play Sanogo has 0 blocks and he doesn't even seem to be altering shots. Karaban doesn't alter and block shots either. I hate to keep harping on it but we have a 7'2 guy that people are scared to shoot over. We're great when we turn teams over and get to running. Clingan altering everything at the rim and blocking shots are as good as turnovers (he always keeps it inbounds.) They get the team going the other way in transition where they are pretty deadly.
I’m not arguing that Sanogo is a better rim protecter than Clingan, but there’s more to defense than blocking shots. Is the defense better if instead of a modern 4 at PF(Karaban/Jackson), we play a traditional 5? The defense with Sanogo playing more minutes at center is number 4 on Kenpom, why does one bad game justify removing him for someone you think might be better?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom