I can't help myself (Tenn, merged thread) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

I can't help myself (Tenn, merged thread)

Reaction Score
Husky Fans...

Since LV nation is up to our butt in alligators, there is not a lot of LV fans, at least intelligent LV fans, that want to relive the "He said, She said days, of yesteryear."...It's close to a thousand days since coach Summitt died....Time to move on.

There is a rumor going around that Holly will be let go Monday....Is it true? I have no idea....As far as a replacement coach, very few logical thinking fans, think any coach will come running if called...Those are wishes by uninformed fans...

Whomever replaces her, as long as she, or he, understands the fundamentals of modern day basketball, like Geno does, it'll be an improvement.......A big improvement.

Good luck Husky fans.......

Reaction Score
I know that many UConn fans will never forgive Pat and TN for accusing UConn of recruiting violations. I’m not one of them. Pat wrote up her infamous 40 pg memo to the NCAA shortly before she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, a disease that would take her life soon thereafter.

Take some time to read up on early symptoms of Alzheimer’s: irritability, difficulty reasoning, impatience, etc. There is considerable evidence that Pat was battling early onset Alzheimer’s when she wrote her memo. I for one forgive her.

When Pat made her announcement that she'd been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers my animosity towards her went right out the window. I was second to no one in my dislike of her & UT but that announcement put things in perspective for me. What happened to her was tragic and in a way so is what is happening to the program she built from nothing. I'll never like Tennessee but for the sake of the women's game I'd love to see them return to the ranks of truly outstanding programs, there are never enough of those to go around.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
ESPN just ran the clips of both Westbrook & Holly pertaining to Holly’s future at TN, with the studio crew all generally expressing negative views towards Westbrook. Rebecca came about as close as anyone to criticism of Holly, by suggesting that “something is not right” in Knoxville, an indirect criticism at best. Clearly, the ESPN staff will not directly criticize Holly.

The AD really needs to get to the bottom of Westbrook’s comments by speaking in private with members of the team, Assistant Coaches and HW. If he determines there is widespread disillusionment with HW amongst the players then it may be incumbent on the AD to take immediate action.

Reaction Score
I was perusing VolNation and saw postings about the high probability of E. Westbrook transferring. One poster wrote something to the effect of "I don't care were she goes, as long as she doesn't ruin WCBB by going to UConn." Responses were mostly that Evina is not intense enough to play for Geno... and that she would not be a good fit. But a few said Geno could teach her intensity. What do you think? Would you like to see Westbrook at UConn?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was perusing VolNation and saw postings about the high probability of E. Westbrook transferring. One poster wrote something to the effect of "I don't care were she goes, as long as she doesn't ruin WCBB by going to UConn." Responses were mostly that Evina is not intense enough to play for Geno... and that she would not be a good fit. But a few said Geno could teach her intensity. What do you think? Would you like to see Westbrook at UConn?
Hard to say. Clearly, there are players at TN that accept mediocrity. I don’t believe Westbrook is one of them. The times I’ve seen her play, she plays hard, but makes a lot of mistakes. I also believe Westbrook is playing out of position as a pg. I think she would be much better at the 2-guard.

If Westbrook is willing to be coached and work hard, she would be a significantly better player at UConn. If Westbrook is just another talented but selfish ball player, she should stay in Knoxville.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If I were the Tennessee AD and I had decided that Holly needs to go, I would not look to hire a "name" head coach. A successful mid-major coach, such as those at Buffalo, Quinnipiac, or Marquette, might make sense. Another possibility is a top assistant in his/her thirties or early forties who has the ability and ambition to be the Alex Cora of WCBB. I can think of one such person on the UConn bench who even has a geographic and cultural connection to the SEC region.

I also took note of Rebecca's and Andy Landers's comments today on ESPN. Rebecca did make an implied criticism of the Tennessee coaching, but both she and Landers were emphatically critical of Evina Westbrook's comments, basically saying that as a college sophomore she had no right to make them. They may be right, but one thing that a player certainly does have a right to do is transfer when and if she loses confidence in the coaching staff. I think that might well happen.

Of course, one could ask why she chose Tennessee over Notre Dame when she was a senior in high school.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the video clip ESPN showed, Holly did say something to the effect...it's out of my control. I don't believe that statement is quite true. Holly can do something about it, it would mean for her to leave/resign.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the video clip ESPN showed, Holly did say something to the effect...it's out of my control. I don't believe that statement is quite true. Holly can do something about it, it would mean for her to leave/resign.
She’s not going to voluntarily walk away from an $800 k annual salary. The AD has to fire HW or reassign her to be entitled to a buyout or the remaining years of her salary.

Reaction Score
She’s not going to voluntarily walk away from an $800 k annual salary. The AD has to fire HW or reassign her to be entitled to a buyout or the remaining years of her salary.

If that's the case, then it's not about the legacy of Pat and the Tenn women's basketball program.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If that's the case, then it's not about the legacy of Pat and the Tenn women's basketball program.
If you listen to HW’s postgame comments, she doesn’t believe she’s the problem. HW never, ever takes responsibility for a LV loss. That may be delusional on her part, but under those circumstances I wouldn’t walk away from $800 k a year either, no matter how strongly I felt about Pat Summitt and the legacy of TN WBB.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ESPN just ran the clips of both Westbrook & Holly pertaining to Holly’s future at TN, with the studio crew all generally expressing negative views towards Westbrook. Rebecca came about as close as anyone to criticism of Holly, by suggesting that “something is not right” in Knoxville, an indirect criticism at best. Clearly, the ESPN staff will not directly criticize Holly.

The AD really needs to get to the bottom of Westbrook’s comments by speaking in private with members of the team, Assistant Coaches and HW. If he determines there is widespread disillusionment with HW amongst the players then it may be incumbent on the AD to take immediate action.

Fulmer has a real big problem. Westbrook dropped it right in his lap. Now we'll see if Fulmer has the chops of a real AD.

The way I see it, from Westbrook's comments and her mother's comments earlier, Westbrook is gone. I'm not sure she is a good fit for UConn and Geno. Can't deny her talent but talent only goes so far. She's been playing the point which is not her strength. I do wonder about her intensity to give 110% effort 100% of the time.

As to ESPN, don't deviate from the company line.

Reaction Score
I have believed that for years. There was a deeply entrenched old girls club at Tennessee and Pat Summitt was the chairman. Incensed at perceived negative recruiting of Maya Moore by Auriemma, they issued the really stupid list of silly "violations" because they didn't have the balls to come out with the real reason behind the "he cheated" accusation.
I think many of you have clouded memories re the animosity with Tenn. How about the continued accusations that UCONN got free rides in the ratings because of the Weak Big East. How about the continued accusations in recruiting that minorities were not welcome in Storrs. How many of you went to Final Fours where the Vols fans traveled in packs cursing UCONN fans ( that happened in Tampa and New Orleans. I don’t blame Pat , but their fans were disciples of the rants of a moderator of a Vols blog.
pat had the top stage in women’s BB to herself for many years until the upstart from Storrs took it away from her. I don’t believe what I read here, that the administration filed complaints without her support. If you really believe that, I believe our governor has a bridge or two to sell you.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I take exception with the crew saying Westbrook shouldn't be bringing up the coaches. She didn't. The press brought up the coaches, repeatedly. She tried to duck the question, then gave them something vague. But ESPN can't do 2 things: criticize the media, or criticize a coach. So that leaves a 19 or 20 year old kid as their target.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Pat Summitt did not write the accusations against UConn. Did she allow them to go forward to the SEC. That she is responsible for. The accusations were written a Moderator on the Tenn Fan Board, "The Summitt". This person along with a couple of her friends has a hatred for everything Geno and UConn. They were willing to do anything to take down Geno and UConn and the Women's AD Department went along with them. Tenn had separate Men's and Women's AD's at that time.
I know that many UConn fans will never forgive Pat and TN for accusing UConn of recruiting violations. I’m not one of them. Pat wrote up her infamous 40 pg memo to the NCAA shortly before she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, a disease that would take her life soon thereafter.

Take some time to read up on early symptoms of Alzheimer’s: irritability, difficulty reasoning, impatience, etc. There is considerable evidence that Pat was battling early onset Alzheimer’s when she wrote her memo. I for one forgive her.
A big chunk of the 40 pages were screen shots of some UConn fans bragging on the Boneyard about speaking with Ernie Della Donne at games. These screen shots were taken by a Summitteer who was outraged by some elderly men, one in a wheelchair, who had the temerity to compliment Elena to her dad. Several Summiteers picked up the drumbeat and becaome absolutely bananas, developing a paranoia about all of UConn’s perceived transgressions all the medication in the world couldn’t tame.

I know about the pages in the complaint because I got invited up to UConn to have a chat with Compliance and some lawyers to discuss the matter.

Reaction Score
They could always re-assign her to he cafeteria as either a cook or server.

Reaction Score
I take exception with the crew saying Westbrook shouldn't be bringing up the coaches. She didn't. The press brought up the coaches, repeatedly. She tried to duck the question, then gave them something vague. But ESPN can't do 2 things: criticize the media, or criticize a coach. So that leaves a 19 or 20 year old kid as their target.
I totally agree! If ESPN commentators don’t have the guts to criticize a coach, they should not criticize a legit complain from a player! It’s not a army/war situation where it is a no no for a soldier to question his(her) leader. ESPN being cowardly is out of their commercial interests... pure and simple

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If you listen to HW’s postgame comments, she doesn’t believe she’s the problem. HW never, ever takes responsibility for a LV loss. That may be delusional on her part, but under those circumstances I wouldn’t walk away from $800 k a year either, no matter how strongly I felt about Pat Summitt and the legacy of TN WBB.

My favorite is "they don't do what I tell them to do." And you're supposed to be the coach? If you can't fix that then maybe you should be looking for a different profession.

Reaction Score
I grew up, and spent most of my life, deep in SEC territory. For my friends here who speculate about the “major dilemma” facing AD Fullmer, I think you’re mistaken. For any SEC AD, the job is, was, and will always be a football job. Women’s basketball, even at a once legendary program like UT, is almost an afterthought, way down the list of concerns. I wish it were otherwise, but this is all about where the $ is!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hard to say. Clearly, there are players at TN that accept mediocrity. I don’t believe Westbrook is one of them. The times I’ve seen her play, she plays hard, but makes a lot of mistakes. I also believe Westbrook is playing out of position as a pg. I think she would be much better at the 2-guard.

If Westbrook is willing to be coached and work hard, she would be a significantly better player at UConn. If Westbrook is just another talented but selfish ball player, she should stay in Knoxville.

I see zero chance of Geno taking anyone as a transfer out of Tennessee.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I think many of you have clouded memories re the animosity with Tenn. How about the continued accusations that UCONN got free rides in the ratings because of the Weak Big East. How about the continued accusations in recruiting that minorities were not welcome in Storrs. How many of you went to Final Fours where the Vols fans traveled in packs cursing UCONN fans ( that happened in Tampa and New Orleans. I don’t blame Pat , but their fans were disciples of the rants of a moderator of a Vols blog.
pat had the top stage in women’s BB to herself for many years until the upstart from Storrs took it away from her. I don’t believe what I read here, that the administration filed complaints without her support. If you really believe that, I believe our governor has a bridge or two to sell you.
Been there and had that reaction from UT fans. Didn't really notice when PS was the HC. Have experienced it since UT demise. It's not subtle either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom