I can't help myself (Tenn, merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I can't help myself (Tenn, merged thread)

Reaction Score
Tennessee gets great recruits every year and they never fail to under perform. Now Warlick is saying that "next year" she is going to teach fundamentals!!!
Can not wait to see what that effort will reap. Their is no doubt she has the horses but can they handle the training?

Reaction Score
I guess it will go something like this:

View attachment 41276
Ladies, THIS is a basketball
I see where you got the inspiration for the photoshop, but will Holly get the same reaction Lombardi got from the Packers players (well Max McGee, anyway) when she holds up the ball? According to one teammate at McGee's funeral, at the first players meeting Coach Lombardi held up the ball and said, "Gentlemen, this is a football." To which McGee replied, "Slow down, coach, you're going too fast."

Reaction Score
Holly has been blaming the players for what, 8 years is it? Bill Parcells once said : “If I'm going to be asked to cook the meal, I'd like to be able to pick the groceries.'' Well it's a college coaches job to pick the groceries, so how is it the players fault the meal tastes like swamp boots? I've said it multiple times before, but Holly has proven time and again that she has a connoisseur palette for ingredients, but her meal always ends up being an ugly casserole.
DITTO!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There was a scene a few weeks ago
(can't remember the details)
that involved Evina's mom.
At the time it was suggested by UTenn watchers that her tenure (Evina's) was, perhaps nearing its end.
Her strange pre-game quotes and her post-game comments do little to alter that feeling.

Reaction Score
I gotta admit I really enjoy watching Holly and the Lady Vols blow another first round game that they had in their hands. The lack of a coordinated O and D attack and use of time outs is mind boggling. THey have sooooo much talent but seemingly no direction when the game is in crunch time. Holly did not call a time out till 100 seconds left and UT down by 8 or 10 points. WTH.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That is proof Tennessee shouldn't have made the NCAA, but the Committee put them in because of the late Coach Pat Summit. I don't think Evina Westbrook should have commented about the Coaching Staff.
Tennessee was in a game well into the fourth quarter as the 11th seed against a 6th seed. So the loss seems to be right in line with the committee seeding. Hard to find fault with it based on the result. If anything UCLA should have been a bit more dominant.

Interesting that TN really lost this by shooting 50% from the foul line. If they shot 80% they would have been up by 5 mid fourth quarter instead of tied.

As for a player dumping on a coach - not really a good look.

And I feel no sympathy for any of the players - TN has had a dumpster fire in terms of coaching for 8 years. These players only had to watch a few TN games during their recruiting to see how bad the play and coaching has been. Instead they bought into the hype instead of looking under the hood.

Reaction Score
Can not wait to see what that effort will reap. Their is no doubt she has the horses but can they handle the training?
Sure TENN has the horses but perhaps the Volunteers have been stressing the wrong fundamentals. Everyone knows the old saw. You know the one I mean.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it put on its bathing suit.
How much time do you think Holly has the team practicing in the changing rooms at Macy's?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Tennessee was in a game well into the fourth quarter as the 11th seed against a 6th seed. So the loss seems to be right in line with the committee seeding. Hard to find fault with it based on the result. If anything UCLA should have been a bit more dominant.

Interesting that TN really lost this by shooting 50% from the foul line. If they shot 80% they would have been up by 5 mid fourth quarter instead of tied.

As for a player dumping on a coach - not really a good look.

And I feel no sympathy for any of the players - TN has had a dumpster fire in terms of coaching for 8 years. These players only had to watch a few TN games during their recruiting to see how bad the play and coaching has been. Instead they bought into the hype instead of looking under the hood.
Yes, those 16-17 year olds should have known better

Reaction Score
I gotta admit I really enjoy watching Holly and the Lady Vols blow another first round game that they had in their hands. The lack of a coordinated O and D attack and use of time outs is mind boggling. THey have sooooo much talent but seemingly no direction when the game is in crunch time. Holly did not call a time out till 100 seconds left and UT down by 8 or 10 points. WTH.
Have not seen Tenn play much this year but amazed at the talent and amazed at the lack of coaching.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes, those 16-17 year olds should have known better
Well - these high recruit kids seem to eat and breath basketball and unlike 10 years ago, you can watch your favorite team's games on-line or on TV pretty consistently. They spend a lot of time on the recruiting process and have lots of advisers and trainers in their corner. They should have a pretty good idea about how the game should be played and when it looks 'right' and when it looks wrong. You watch ND or MsSt or Louisville play and it looks right almost every time, watch TN over the last decade and it hasn't.

So yeah, I think these 16 and 17 year olds should be able to see a little more than just the sign "Tennessee Invented the Game of Women's Basketball".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There has been a lot of drama surrounding Westbrook at TN. LV fans have been critical of her for her play at pg due to TO’s, inconsistency, etc. IMO, the problem is, quite simply, Westbrook is out of position as a pg. Chalk it up to bad coaching.

A few weeks ago Westbrook was suspended for a game supposedly for missing a class and then had to issue a public apology for that transgression. Subsequently, her mother responded on social media, attacking her daughter’s critics and suggesting she would leave TN.

Finally, today Westbrook suggests there needs to be a coaching change at TN. While it might not have been prudent for Westbrook to make the comment publicly, I have to believe she is not the only player on the team that’s frustrated with the coaching staff.

Whether Westbrook goes, or HW goes remains to be seen. If HW goes do several players also leave, and does a certain top recruit out of OH withdraw her commitment?

Stay tuned...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Obviously Jordan Horston likes where Tennessee is going!! Good luck in Knoxville!!!
If HW resigns/is fired and/or Westbrook leaves TN, don’t be surprised if Ms Horston withdraws her commitment to the LV’s.

Reaction Score
I don’t know where I stand on this statement. I don’t think players should badmouth their coaching staff or schools, but I also don’t think they should be expected to give cookie cutter answers or lie when asked a serious question. Something is clearly wrong and Evina Westbrook was upset. She shouldn’t be talking about the staff because it’s generally just not a good idea to blame a group of people that recruited you and you agreed to play for. That said, I don’t see how this is much different than asking a coach about why a player transferred or about the attitude/behavior of some players and the coach giving a candid response. Especially when coaches constantly say things like, “the players need to figure it out” or “it’s about the players being tough” (something that Holly Warlick has done on multiple occasions), I don’t see why it’s okay for a coach to say those things without repercussions, but a player can express displeasure with coaching staff without being made into a villain. Again, I don’t know exactly where I stand, but I can’t imagine that these were appropriate questions to ask a player.

I've read somewhere in the past that the losing team would get a cooling off period before the press could question them in the locker room. This tough loss seems to be like that where it's not surprising that a player could say something in the heat of the moment and could use a cooling off period

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I don't think Evina Westbrook should have commented about the Coaching Staff.

I 100% agree with you on this one, and if I’m in the mix for this job, I’m going to look at a player making these comments as a huge red flag.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
]
Well - these high recruit kids seem to eat and breath basketball and unlike 10 years ago, you can watch your favorite team's games on-line or on TV pretty consistently. They spend a lot of time on the recruiting process and have lots of advisers and trainers in their corner. They should have a pretty good idea about how the game should be played and when it looks 'right' and when it looks wrong. You watch ND or MsSt or Louisville play and it looks right almost every time, watch TN over the last decade and it hasn't. So yeah, I think these 16 and 17 year olds should be able to see a little more than just the sign "Tennessee Invented the Game of Women's Basketball".
That's just it @UcMiami most of them have no idea what good basketball looks like. Even worse, many of them believe that it maybe wrong for everyone else but THEY will make it right because THEY are so supremely talented. The programs you mention UCONN, ND, MsSt and a few others are the exceptions. For the vast majority of the other programs fundamentals, knowledge of the game & effort are negotiable items.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom