I believe Fishy has been right all along | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I believe Fishy has been right all along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Connecticut's value in the scheme of all things is phenomenal.

Reaction Score
Connecticut's value in the scheme of all things is phenomenal.

Then how do you explain our current position. A perfect storm? We are very close to being shut out. I can see the B12 taking BYU and cincy.

Reaction Score
The value we have is in our ability to capture NY and New England. We can definitely bring a lot of viewers in fairly wealthy markets to the table. The potential for our fan base to expand playing a B1G schedule is unlimited and we add plenty of trophies and prestige to the basketball side of any conference. We also come in with great facilities, great academics and an overall upward trajectory that no other school offers.

We REALLY shouldn't be in this position. It is a travesty. I'd like to think that someone will save us simply because we should be saved.

Reaction Score
The value we have is in our ability to capture NY and New England. We can definitely bring a lot of viewers in fairly wealthy markets to the table. The potential for our fan base to expand playing a B1G schedule is unlimited and we add plenty of trophies and prestige to the basketball side of any conference. We also come in with great facilities, great academics and an overall upward trajectory that no other school offers.

We REALLY shouldn't be in this position. It is a travesty. I'd like to think that someone will save us simply because we should be saved.

Syracuse and BC are just waiting for UConn to collapse athletically. That's what this is about. If that were to happen, then there is no value.

Reaction Score
Syracuse and BC are just waiting for UConn to collapse athletically. That's what this is about. If that were to happen, then there is no value.
There is academically. SU and BC are both fine institutions but neither has seen as much growth as UCONN. Being the state flagship university offers much more upside, in my opinioin, than either SU or BC. It seems every other day UCONN is announcing some advancement in research and facilities.
I'll also add that the B1G values academics and the ACC apparently does not, anymore.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Then how do you explain our current position. A perfect storm? We are very close to being shut out. I can see the B12 taking BYU and cincy.

While Butch's comments sometimes are funny, perfect storm does describe it well.

Reaction Score
Let me add: I'm not worried about the B12 adding Cincy and BYU.

Reaction Score
I'm very aware of the $ gap and its implications. Having said that, UConn's not going to stop competing anytime soon. TV revenue has always been a small percentage of UConn's substantial budget and we've found ways to win. In fact, Michigan (and others) has always had more than double UConn's revenue, but look who's captured more NC's over the past 20 years. If UConn continues to compete and fans respond it will be fine, at least for the next several years. UConn has always had to out work other schools to get ahead. So, what's new?

Being shut out of top tier competition is a greater concern and has revenue implications as well. But, with 2 Big Ten football games recently signed, compelling basketball match ups, and men's hockey opening their Hockey East season at B1G's Penn State, I'm still cautiously optimistic on this front. If we are shut out 10 years down the road the headwinds will be formidable, but for now collapse is not imminent. BC and Syracuse might be a waiting quite some time for that to transpire.

Reaction Score
I'm very aware of the $ gap and its implications. Having said that, UConn's not going to stop competing anytime soon. TV revenue has always been a small percentage of UConn's substantial budget and we've found ways to win. In fact, Michigan (and others) has always had more than double UConn's revenue, but look who's captured more NC's over the past 20 years. If UConn continues to compete and fans respond it will be fine, at least for the next several years. UConn has always had to out work other schools to get ahead. So, what's new?

Being shut out of top tier competition is a greater concern and has revenue implications as well. But, with 2 Big Ten football games recently signed, compelling basketball match ups, and men's hockey opening their Hockey East season at B1G's Penn State, I'm still cautiously optimistic on this front. If we are shut out 10 years down the road the headwinds will be formidable, but for now collapse is not imminent. BC and Syracuse might be a waiting quite some time for that to transpire.

More than double though was $18m to UConn's $7m, a deficit of $11m. Now we're talking $30m. And the ACC was at $13m last year, just a $6m advantage over UConn.

Reaction Score
More than double though was $18m to UConn's $7m, a deficit of $11m. Now we're talking $30m. And the ACC was at $13m last year, just a $6m advantage over UConn.

I was referring to Michigan's $140M budget vs. our $65 (or $67M) budget.

BTW UConn is currently vying for another national championship on CBSSports (paintball).

Reaction Score
I was referring to Michigan's $140M budget vs. our $65 (or $67M) budget.

BTW UConn is currently vying for another national championship on CBSSports (paintball).

5 years ago, UM was ahead of UConn by $36m.
Now UM is ahead of UConn by $77m.

UM's gap over UConn doubled in 5 years.

Reaction Score
Perfect storm it may be, but trends favor large public universities and UConn is one in an excellent position for the future. The past 15 years speak volumes.

Anyone with basic knowledge on demographics understands we have an upside superior to Syracuse and Boston College.

Reaction Score

Because he knows that his winning lottery ticket is next week

Reaction Score
Perfect storm it may be, but trends favor large public universities and UConn is one in an excellent position for the future. The past 15 years speak volumes.

Anyone with basic knowledge on demographics understands we have an upside superior to Syracuse and Boston College.
Apparently that has no value compared to past success (like pre-1990). Sad, but somewhat predictable. The ones on top by luck or history don't leave quietly. They shouldn't be planning on my paying to watch Rutgers, Syracuse, or BC, just because they are my "local" P5 teams.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think you are right and it scares the crap out of me. (Both agreeing with you, and knowing how well the lawsuit approach worked the last time we tried it)
Mike, the notion that the lawsuit hurt us significantly is a fallacy in my opinion. Name the votes that would have changed if we hadn't sued. BCU wants us out of the ACC because they can't compete against us. It is that simple.

Keep in mind that lawsuit earned us a much needed 7 figure settlement and kept the 'cuse from leaving earlier thus buying us a few more years to build the football program. It was the right decision to litigate and it paid off for us. I would have preferred to avoid most of Blummy's attention seeking behavior.

Litigation should be avoided if at all possible. It may not be possible if we are left on the outside looking in.

Reaction Score
Apparently that has no value compared to past success (like pre-1990). Sad, but somewhat predictable. The ones on top by luck or history don't leave quietly. They shouldn't be planning on my paying to watch Rutgers, Syracuse, or BC, just because they are my "local" P5 teams.
Cincinnati is still around. Louisville was in C-USA for a while. For the time being, looks as if the NFL is even supporting the AAC. Saints are backing up Tulane.

Freaking Rutgers. C'mon. Didn't former SEC commish Roy Kramer say UConn has SEC-like fanbase potential after a feasibility study for football? Hello, B1G.

Reaction Score
As bad as we all make out CR to be, it has pretty much helped every school in the country except UConn. All the original BE football schools are in a better position than they were when the conference first started.

Reaction Score
Mike, the notion that the lawsuit hurt us significantly is a fallacy in my opinion. Name the votes that would have changed if we hadn't sued. .

For starters, John Swofford, Commish of the ACC. If we recall, the Blumenthal lawsuit named him personally as a defendant in the lawsuit. It can be assumed that if you are sued personally, ( whether the naming of you personally was warranted or not ) then later the person who sued you personally wants your support on something, the natural inclination for you is to not do so. Thats how I see the aftereffects on Blumenthal's lawsuit anyway. Now, having said this, if there was no lawsuit launnched ,do I believe that BC without the lawsuit would have had enormous power and influence to prevail upon all the other ACC Schools to keep Uconn out of the ACC ? No , I don't see BC with the power and influence within the ACC to have kept Uconn out of the ACC... lawsuit or no lawsuit. BC does not have the power and influence in the ACC that from reading this board that many Uconn football fans apparently think that they do. The ACC just added Louisville, and whether BC wanted them in or not, was of no influence one way or the other, imo. Each school has one vote only, and the network executives have input, and a school needs at least 50% of the current league member school votes to get at invite. Thats true with all the p5 Conferences.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As bad as we all make out CR to be, it has pretty much helped every school in the country except UConn. All the original BE football schools are in a better position than they were when the conference first started.

Temple was a 13 year football member of the BE football league ( accepted into the BE in 1991). The BE football schools however voted to kick Temple to the curb in 2004, and so they were booted out of the BE. Temple ( also a school with a rich basketball history and tradition ) is also struggling to find their football position enhanced by all the conference realignments now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For starters, John Swofford, Commish of the ACC. If we recall, the Blumenthal lawsuit named him personally as a defendant in the lawsuit. It can be assumed that if you are sued personally, ( whether the naming of you personally was warranted or not ) then later the person who sued you personally wants your support on something, the natural inclination for you is to not do so. Thats how I see the aftereffects on Blumenthal's lawsuit anyway. Now, having said this, if there was no lawsuit launnched ,do I believe that BC without the lawsuit would have had enormous power and influence to prevail upon all the other ACC Schools to keep Uconn out of the ACC ? No , I don't see BC with the power and influence within the ACC to have kept Uconn out of the ACC... lawsuit or no lawsuit. BC does not have the power and influence in the ACC that from reading this board that many Uconn football fans apparently think that they do. The ACC just added Louisville, and whether BC wanted them in or not, was of no influence one way or the other, imo. Each school has one vote only, and the network executives have input, and a school needs at least 50% of the current league member school votes to get at invite. Thats true with all the p5 Conferences.

We've been over this 1000 times. Pitt was even more vociferous in the media. Syracuse had BOT members insulting BC's people at academic events.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Temple was a 13 year football member of the BE football league ( accepted into the BE in 1991). The BE football schools however voted to kick Temple to the curb in 2004, and so they were booted out of the BE. Temple ( also a school with a rich basketball history and tradition ) is also struggling to find their football position enhanced by all the conference realignments now.

Why are you here?

Reaction Score
Why are you here?
I 've explained this question 4 times previously now ( has been asked 4 times ) and thats sufficient times to explain it by now it seems to me. So I have no interest in explaining myself a 5th time now to you. That said, if you are interested in " why posters come here ", coincidentally, there was a thread started within 48 hours here, and if these reasons interest you, that thread has lots of posters explaining their myriad of reasons for " being on here ". Lots of different reasons given too..... including one poster who said he is interested in hearing of the thoughts of other posters not aligned directly with Uconn ( and he mentions BC, Rutgers, etc fans as one of those ). So thats my reply anyway on your question for me. By the way, why are you here ? I'm a bit nosy too re. this from you now.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I 've explained this question 4 times ( has been asked 4 times ) and thats sufficient times to explain it ny now. So I have no interest in explaining myself a 5th time now to you. That said, if you are interested in " why posters come here ", coincidentally, there was a thread started within 48 hours here, and ifthose reasons interest you, that thread has lots of posters explaining their reasons for " being on here ". Lots of different reasons given too..... including one poster who said he is interested in hearing of the thoughts of other posters not aligned directly with Uconn ( and he mentions BC fans as one of those ). So thats my reply anyway on your question to me.

It was rhetorical, you are a BC fan who is here to kick UConn fans while they are down in conference realignment.

It's funny that Donald Sterling is the face of racism these days yet we have to endure someone invoking the name Yawkey bashing us.

I will let you in on a secret. I can't believe you haven't realized this yet.. no one anywhere cares about what the handful of BC fans think. You should read up, ACC fans figure if they ignore BC long enough you'll just disappear.

Reaction Score
We've been over this 1000 times. Pitt was even more vociferous in the media. Syracuse had BOT members insulting BC's people at academic events.

Reps from schools say stuff all the time that are not complimentary about one another.The Syracuse BOD and Admin acted like Rip Van Winkle when the dominos fell after Miami announced it was leaving the BE. That stupidity and warning was apparently from reports told to them 1,000 times at the time by BC ( and Miami ) officials. It eventually cost Syracuse money, and almost cost them a spot in the ACC. Meanwhile, Syracuse was also wondering what in heavens name was Uconn thinking hiring a canned over the hill coach that wasn't good enough anymore for Syracuse, and said so publically over a 1,000 times as well. But so what ? Schools, coaches, AD's say uncomplimentary things all the time to one another on occasion. This is no revelation it seems to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was rhetorical, you are a BC fan who is here to kick UConn fans while they are down in conference realignment.

It is regrettable that you have interpreted ANY of my remarks on here since I've signed on to this site as " kicking Uconn fans while they are down in conference realighnment ". I genuinely have not come here to do this, and do not believe that a single one of my posts on here has been insulting, nor should be viewed in any manner as an attempt to kick you when you are down ". That said, if you believe I have been insulting, or attempting to kick you or Uconn when you are down, then my suggestion is for you to simply ignore my future occasional posts on here. This should satisfy your quest not to be insulted by me, and likewise allow me not have to try and defend something that is neither my intent, nor can be found in any of my postings on here, imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22