I believe Fishy has been right all along | The Boneyard

I believe Fishy has been right all along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have been an optimist to this point, but It pains me to say we are stuck in the AAC for a while. I think Fishy is right. Can you imagine BYU and Cinn to the B12? What if they take UCF and /or USF? I cannot f 'in believe how screwed we are. We f' in own college basketball and we are relegated to the trash heap. Doomed and it sucks.

Reaction Score
I have been an optimist to this point, but It pains me to say we are stuck in the AAC for a while. I think Fishy is right. Can you imagine BYU and Cinn to the B12? What if they take UCF and /or USF? I cannot f 'in believe how screwed we are. We f' in own college basketball and we are relegated to the trash heap. Doomed and it sucks.

Doooooooooomed!

Reaction Score
Im holding out for the 60 days. What does a major announcement for a conference actually consist of? Where their tournament is? Where their headquarters and satellite offices are? More TV money than they already have? Really? It better consist of adding a team otherwise Dienhardt is wiped off my "have to listen to list" just like McMurphy and Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Year 2 of the 3-5 year B1G plan. Once 5 years are over, and if we are chin deep in AAC, I will subscribe to this.

Reaction Score
We didn't play the CR game to win but we've played the game of higher ed. perfectly. Rather than tweak numbers and perception with lies, filler and creative accounting, Herbst did things the right way. While that has left us in a crappy conference for now, UConn is a much better university because of it. Ultimately, that will put us in a better place and when it all shakes out, we'll be glad it happened this way. There is more than one way to approach this problem and our administration has chosen to do it in a slower but more admirable way. I truly believe we'll get there but it certainly is a torturous trip.

Reaction Score
We didn't play the CR game to win but we've played the game of higher ed. perfectly. Rather than tweak numbers and perception with lies, filler and creative accounting, Herbst did things the right way. While that has left us in a crappy conference for now, UConn is a much better university because of it. Ultimately, that will put us in a better place and when it all shakes out, we'll be glad it happened this way. There is more than one way to approach this problem and our administration has chosen to do it in a slower but more admirable way. I truly believe we'll get there but it certainly is a torturous trip.
Doing things in a slow and admirable way has certainly paid off for UConn. Just like Louisville and Rutgers. It may be good for you if you are young, but for UConn alumni and fans who are old and want to see UConn play at the highest level, this is terrible news. Anger has turned to despair. Despair leads to lack of donations by those older folks who have spare cash to support a great university. That what happens when one feels betrayed. All of this talk to support the university, make donations, buy tickets, win games....all baloney.

Reaction Score
buddy said:
Doing things in a slow and admirable way has certainly paid off for UConn. Just like Louisville and Rutgers. It may be good for you if you are young, but for UConn alumni and fans who are old and want to see UConn play at the highest level, this is terrible news. Anger has turned to despair. Despair leads to lack of donations by those older folks who have spare cash to support a great university. That what happens when one feels betrayed. All of this talk to support the university, make donations, buy tickets, win games....all baloney.

That's an overreaction. It is a university foremost and it is the best and most respected it has ever been. The only way we could have avoided this problem was to have expanded the stadium, hired a win at all costs football coach and made amends with BC. None of those things were in the cards. We just aren't going to be a crappy school that only cares about sports. That model won't work in Connecticut. Too many people will shun the university if it sells out academically and ethically. We have to do it this way to keep state support and funding high.

President Herbst knows what she's doing. She may or may not get us into a P5 conference but there is zero question that she's made a major upgrade to the school. Without her efforts, the Big Ten wouldn't even be considered a possibility. At least now we are worthy of both the ACC and B1G. I'm not sure we were getting in the ACC no matter what due to personal vendettas so I see her making us B1G viable as a huge stroke of genius.

Reaction Score

I agree. I think we are all fooling ourselves. There was a lot of attention on UConn after the two basketball championships, but now, nothing. Like Buddy, I am old. I may not see it in my lifetime. I thought I was in the acceptance stage, but I think I am still in the anger stage. I keep telling myself that life isn't fair.

Reaction Score

You have no clue. UConn's conference situation has only increased my support and enthusiasm for UConn. For Pete's sake, we just won both NCAA basketball championships! And, did you see the support at MSG during the Sweet 16 and Final 8? Seemed like an energized fan base to me. And, UConn has probably the best statewide and legislative support of any university in the Northeast.

The Herbst tenure at UConn has been terrific for the academic side of the university as well. UConn continues to improve as a university and isn't that what universities are all about?

I'm optimistic about the future even though our current conference situation is not ideal.

Reaction Score

Cheer up bro. Fishy knows exactly what you know. You know exactly what I know. I know exactly jack .

Reaction Score
I'm still cautiously optimistic something shakes out comes August. It may not lead to an invite right away, but the NCAA will be forced to put something down on paper. I still believe that it will ultimately prove "easier" (and more fruitful) long term to include UConn than exclude UConn. Regardless, UConn will continue to surpass self-styled "Power" schools in academics, athletics and research. Very few schools have achieved the trajectory that UConn has over the past 25 years. Very few schools enjoy the same level support from government and the local population. That might lead to greater frustration, but at the end of the day UConn will continue to become a better university.

Reaction Score
Year 2 of the 3-5 year B1G plan. Once 5 years are over, and if we are chin deep in AAC, I will subscribe to this.
I agree as usual with you...when/if we accept the unacceptable all is lost! Won't happen here IMO!! I still believe(hope) somethings already in the work's!

Reaction Score
If Rutgers can get into the freaking Big Ten, then so can UConn. Pretty simple. We have much more to offer, athletically.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's like waiting for an overdue train. You sit, you wait, you stare down the platform at the empty track.

Hoping to see the lights, hear the rumble of the approach, you wait, until it appears from around the bend.

You stay because you know that eventually it will come.

Those who lose their belief will leave, which is why despite any pains of anticipation, everyone here still believes.

Reaction Score
If Rutgers can get into the freaking Big Ten, then so can UConn. Pretty simple. We have much more to offer, athletically.

It's really not that simple though.

I'm hopeful, but the cavalier attitude some people have here assuming we'll get an invite somewhere amazes me. Maybe it's denial.

Reaction Score
Its a bit of chicken/egg. UConn has improved greatly over the past 20 years -- some due to govt vision, and some certainly due to basketball success. The administration and the UConn Foundation will tell you just how important sports is for the university. It is the welcome mat for the university and success in sports is one of the best marketing tools -- this is what drives applications and donations.

Dooley

Reaction Score
It's really not that simple though.

I'm hopeful, but the cavalier attitude some people have here assuming we'll get an invite somewhere amazes me. Maybe it's denial.

More like cautious optimism. Of course it's painful and frustrating seeing our northeast rivals in P5 conferences while we are not after we've achieved more success, but I have faith in my school and, most importantly, our school's leadership. I've said this a thousand times before: I really wish we had our current leadership many more years ago. If that happened, we might be in a P5 conference today. If our school's leaders believe in UCONN, why shouldn't the fans?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Buy tickets. Buy merchandise. Watch games on TV/online. Make donations. Wear your UCONN gear around the world with pride. It's really that simple. If fans bail now because they're frustrated with being in the AAC, then we will never leave the AAC.

Being left out (for now) should energize our fanbase. It truly is us vs. the world now and it's up to us to continue to show support for State U. MSG was a great start, but we need more. We need that same kind of support for football this season and regular season basketball games next year (good numbers in NJ for the game against Duke, for example). The home football schedule for 2014 is really good. BYU, Boise, UCF and Cincinnati are all very good teams. The games should all be competitive and fun. I can't speak that highly of our 2015 schedule yet but hopefully by then we will have a bowl game program and fans will want to buy tickets to watch UCONN, regardless of the competition level.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uconn has a shot at the BIG ( better chance than with the ACC,im0) but it must get 8 of the following schools votes:

Minnesota
Nebraska
Maryland
Ohio State
Michigan
Rutgers
Penn State
Purdue
Northwestern
Michigan State
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Wisconsin

The key will be for the Uconn Admin. to develop outreach communications and their contacts within these predominently midwestern schools to secure the neccessary 8 votes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22