I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser | Page 6 | The Boneyard

I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser

Reaction Score
Absolutely disagree with that. We get PLENTY of makeable shots.

The offense and spacing is so poorly designed that good looks are not very common. Bad shooters taking even worse shots is the norm under KO. You absolutely cannot deny that.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I know.

Damned KO didnt make sure that RP recovered from the death of his friend (who he referred to as a brother) before the season started.

Yeah Rodney was a mess to start the season. And it made no sense (other than the death of his "brother") because the way he closed his Junior year was really really good. I actually expected him to contend for AAC player of the year last year. I expected that final step for him. In retrospect it is one of the more laughable predictions in a litany of horrible ones I have made.

But when turning over a new team like we did last year, you expected the seniors to lead the way, especially early. Rodney was so bad in the opening game that Alterique in his first game (and wasnt even a starter) ever was forced to 37 minutes while Rodney played 26.

Reaction Score
Never said fire him now. But saying he's been snakebit is also completely incorrect. With both Gilbert and Larrier, we lost to Wagner and Northeastern and were down 15 eight minutes into the game against Okla St when we lost Larrier. The team was awful fully intact, too. Those injuries, of course, are not KOs fault, but saying it was bad luck is implying that we were rolling and then we got screwed. And that's absolutely not true. We don't know if they would have gelled over time or not.

If we replace KO, it is likely that someone might leave. But it's up to the powers that be to bring in a coach who CAN bring in players. We already know that KOs name and UConn's for that matter in this regime are not exactly lighting it up in the recruiting world. Recruits know that all is not right here. If we make the right hire, we should be able to sell to a prospective recruit that the ship has been righted. Will it take a year or two of lumps? Quite probably. But I'd rather know that we are looking to change then continue to try the same thing that has not worked.

As far as the players coming in, they are solid. But I'm not sure if any of them are day-one impact players except out of necessity. Akinjo looks like he can play but small guards often take some time to figure out how to play against bigger and better competition and he's still just a borderline top 100 player. Matthews looks like he is talented and may be underrated, but he's rated (I know imperfect science) lower than Polley, and the big man looks like a garbage type guy. Useful, yes. Impact player? Not likely.

Again, an in-season fire is asinine on all accounts and simply will not happen unless they think Chill, Kill, or Ricky Moore is the next head coach and I think there is zero chance of that happening. But, I'm growing weary of just riding it out with KO because we are worried about what change may come. We need change or we are going to be completely irrelevant.
If you are worried about being irrelevant... firing Ollie and hiring another coach that fails would put us in a much worse place than what Ollie could do just on his own. We are irrelevant this year and in my opinion will be irrelevant the next couple of years(unless Ollie is coach and can turn things around and be good) new coach even a good one will be irrelevant for at least 2 years. SO if you understand that our history as one of 4 teams with 4 or more NC will always be our history. We will always have the ability to be relevant in basketball again. No matter how bad we are now and how bad we get. Firing a coach imo would have a very negative mark on our program and would make any future coach and his recruits worry that they might be next. I am not scared of change. I think Ollie has certainly not earned his next contract. The anger that I hear on this board for Ollie should really be placed on the people that signed him to that contract. We are snake bit as a program imo because of it. I will route for Ollie and hope he can prove all the haters wrong and be a hungry husky himself. I am sad because I am doubtful that he can do it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think there is very, very little chance Ollie gets fired this year.

I also think ‘leaving it up to’ whatever kid is involved in whatever situation is something of an Ollie-ism. Alterique’s injury was up to Alterique, etc.

There’s zero reason to burn a season of eligibility now if Wilson somehow magically become eligible.

Exactly. And what coach would tell a kid who didn't want to use up the eligibility that they absolutely had to play anyway? Never going to happen.

I think he's back unless he decides or can be convinced to take another job somewhere. I don't think we can pay his buyout.

Reaction Score
If you are worried about being irrelevant... firing Ollie and hiring another coach that fails would put us in a much worse place than what Ollie could do just on his own. We are irrelevant this year and in my opinion will be irrelevant the next couple of years(unless Ollie is coach and can turn things around and be good) new coach even a good one will be irrelevant for at least 2 years. SO if you understand that our history as one of 4 teams with 4 or more NC will always be our history. We will always have the ability to be relevant in basketball again. No matter how bad we are now and how bad we get. Firing a coach imo would have a very negative mark on our program and would make any future coach and his recruits worry that they might be next. I am not scared of change. I think Ollie has certainly not earned his next contract. The anger that I hear on this board for Ollie should really be placed on the people that signed him to that contract. We are snake bit as a program imo because of it. I will route for Ollie and hope he can prove all the haters wrong and be a hungry husky himself. I am sad because I am doubtful that he can do it.
I agree that most of our frustration should be towards the people who gave KO this awful extension. He coached his butt off those first two years and earned that 5 year extension. Since then he’s done nothing to warrant an additional extension, and that’s why we’re in this awful mess. The five year deal was justified and fair, the additional 3 were not.

August_West

Reaction Score
The offense and spacing is so poorly designed that good looks are not very common. Bad shooters taking even worse shots is the norm under KO. You absolutely cannot deny that.

I can actually kind of deny it. I see many good looks especially early in games. I see us as a bunch of brick layers. If we dont make shots off good looks early in games that is kind of the snake that feeds its own tail (ouroboros) because we then get desperate and flustered about not making shots which leads to bad decisions and shots. The bad shots I see? Most of them are due to Vital. He's a chucker at heart. I dont see Larrier taking many bad shots. Once in a great while. His decision making shortfall is not in shot selection, it is in his terrible awareness of his own handling abilities. Once everybody has gone around the world clanking through the first 15 minutes of a game, we then default to the Jalen show. And then the offense can look stagnant because we have now conceded to play 1 on 5.

Reaction Score
If you are worried about being irrelevant... firing Ollie and hiring another coach that fails would put us in a much worse place than what Ollie could do just on his own.

And that's a chance that I think many are willing to take. We have seen such little growth from players and coaches the last four years that I have little faith that KO is going to re-establish us into relevancy. I'm not talking being a Natty contender, I mean being a team that can win 20-22 games and get to the 1st weekend of the tournament. If we were 10-9 but I saw development, I'd be all for KO staying. But aside from fleeting moments, we are the same team that got waxed by Arkansas.

KO has many very likable qualities as a person, in his UConn connection, and obviously his forever role in guiding us to #4. But holy crap, how can you look at the product and results and think, "well another coach would be just as bad, if not worse?" Scouts have said we are the easiest scout in their careers. Meaning what we do is so rudimentary, so incredibly simplistic, that we are a joke. An opposing player said they knew exactly what we would do every time down the court. That's embarrassing.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You don't see development? Are you looking for it? There has been absolute development this season. Showing especially lately.

There are a bunch of folks on the board (and elsewhere) whose minds are already made up. There's not going to be any convincing them otherwise. Even though Carlton is coming along, Whaley is coming along, hell even DO gave us a good game a week ago. Polley has a sweet stroke and he's finally seen one go down, so maybe it comes together for him too. Vital is starting to feel it again, dropping 15 on Nova and playing a little more efficiently.

They're developing. But folks here want Ollie gone yesterday, and they actually don't care if the product improves if the same guy is in charge unfortunately...

Reaction Score
You don't see development? Are you looking for it? There has been absolute development this season. Showing especially lately.

There is some... Whaley and Carlton have certainly shown some growth and have the potential to be very solid four-year players. But we are still a bad basketball team that has been down 30 back to back games. Obviously, Nova is much, much better than us. There are still issues with x's and o's, coaching decisions, poor decision making, preparedness, and even the most ardent supporters questioning what we are doing. I'd like to see the same problems that reared their head four years ago begin to dissipate. All we heard in the off-season is that KO and staff are working harder than ever to recapture the program and fix the problems. Other then some raw freshmen getting their sea legs, where are you seeing us get appreciably better?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've never seen the Wagner, Northeastern, Columbia, or Monmouth games. They get talked about with some regularity.
Which should I see, and in what order, and/or order of preference?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I've never seen the Wagner, Northeastern, Columbia, or Monmouth games. They get talked about with some regularity.
Which should I see, and in what order, and/or order of preference?
Watch Wagner, and see a team with overwhelming talent get taken to the woodshed on effort and guts.

August_West

Reaction Score
Watch Wagner, and see a team with overwhelming talent get taken to the woodshed on effort and guts.

And also see why Enoch didnt warrant any minutes. Purvis playing like a High school sophmore and Alterique Gilbert bailing us out.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
@WingU-Conn - Because I don't want him fired? Yeah...that makes sense. I'm critical of him, but trying to look at the bigger picture.

@JMick - Again - im looking bigger picture. I don't get why you hate this guy so much.

@boog204 - the turnaround time is not enough. If Ollie is fired after the season, my guess is most of the team would leave, or at the very least seriously consider it. You think less than a year is enough to fill up to 8ish spots? I don't at all. I understand the losses last yr early were really bad. I'm with @August_West thinking that it takes teams with so many new players a lot of time to mesh. That team would have gotten better as the season went on.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
He won a NC and he ruined the program because of 2 injury filled seasons? My god. I hope you don't have kids...because Id feel sorry for them.

Seriously? You think injuries are the only issue? I don't know what you are watching. I haven't seen any D1 basketball team that is as poorly coached as this one. Many with less talent, much less, but none who look like they have never practiced as this one does.

Reaction Score
I disagree on potentially being irrelevant for years to come with a new coach. A lot would depend on what players the new coach could retain, and recruiting. But look at Ohio St. They didn't make the tournament for 2 years, got rid of their coach, and now are a top 15 team this year. I wouldn't expect that for UCONN, but I do think a new coach can turn this around in 2 years or less. Which is worth it.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Seriously? You think injuries are the only issue? I don't know what you are watching. I haven't seen any D1 basketball team that is as poorly coached as this one. Many with less talent, much less, but none who look like they have never practiced as this one does.
You watch a lot of college basketball? Who else do you watch? What makes you think they're poorly coached?

Look im not giving Ollie a pass on not getting any shooters. It's his fault 100%. No debate there. I just don't think that is a fireable offense. I think he's recognized that oversight and will look to rectify it. As it is right now, the roster is flawed. The offense is tailored to having 2-3 guys who can score on the roster. No one else is a threat to opposing defenses. Carlton looks like he might get there sooner rather than later, but for now, he's not much to worry about.

Reaction Score
@WingU-Conn - Because I don't want him fired? Yeah...that makes sense. I'm critical of him, but trying to look at the bigger picture.

@JMick - Again - im looking bigger picture. I don't get why you hate this guy so much.

@boog204 - the turnaround time is not enough. If Ollie is fired after the season, my guess is most of the team would leave, or at the very least seriously consider it. You think less than a year is enough to fill up to 8ish spots? I don't at all. I understand the losses last yr early were really bad. I'm with @August_West thinking that it takes teams with so many new players a lot of time to mesh. That team would have gotten better as the season went on.
How about when he stays and some players leave?

Reaction Score

No, because you think fans ruin programs rather than the people actually running them.

That's like saying the customers of Enron ruined the company, rather than the crooks running the company into the ground while directing those underneath them to falsify the accounting.

People thinking we can find a better coach =/= they suspect Ollie banged their wives.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I see Carlton improving. I see Whaley showing us more, but still being mistake prone. I see Diarra being woefully underutilized. I see Anderson playing way too many minutes. I saw a coach who insisted on starting his two worst players game after game after game, and finally played the guys we fans knew were better players from casual observation. I see an archaic offense that is not in tune with modern basketball principles and which produces really ugly basketball. I see a defense that at times looks good, but which struggles to adapt and adjust to teams that can shoot and focuses on taking away shots they aren't even trying to take.

I have given up on him, because I think he's too set in his ways to make the changes to his approach that need to be made. Remember Moneyball? Remember when advanced metrics came in and there were still some old school guys out there who refused to use them? Those teams got steamrolled. That's exactly where we are right now. And Jay Wright is Billy Beane. Kevin Ollie is like Barry Switzer trying to run a wishbone in 2018.

Reaction Score
How was 2 yrs ago disappointing? They won the conference tournament and won an NCAA game. This is what im talking about. Spoiled fans.
That team massively underachieved. That’s a fact, not being spoiled.

I understand your concern that letting Ollie go could possibly empty the cupboards but this man has had talent and struggled to win games. Even last years team, despite being injury riddled, should have won more than 16 games. So, while talent is on the way (IMO no one who’s really a game changer), nothing will change and our program will continue its spiral into mediocrity and our brand will be further tarnished.

The time has come. Even if they don’t land Hurley (they will), there are other options out there better than Ollie. Sure, attendance may stay stagnant for a bit because it may be an unknown. But if DB makes a solid hire, the proof will be in the pudding. Finally we will begin to see players develop, strategic in game adjustments, consistent subbing patterns, and Offensive sets...like actual college basketball offensive sets. Fans will see this and will show up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom