I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser | Page 5 | The Boneyard

I’d probably cancel the Hurley presser

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I gave you the incremental cost this year vs next year. If you are choosing to be a nitwit then be a nitwit.

They have to pay the entire buyout when they fire him.

So other than a lump 9.5 million - you nailed it. Nitwit.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
There's a whole lot more than bad luck going on here...
No kidding. Look. I get it. Ollie has made some mistakes. He hasn't landed a shooter, etc. But don't try to tell me Terry's ACL and Gilberts shoulder are his fault. I don't want to hear it. If KO leaves and the whole team leaves is a new coach going to bring in an entire roster of players better than we have now? No way. Firing Ollie right now would be a huge mistake. They've got talent coming in. Lets play it out and see what happens.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why don't we just sell a bunch of OOC games to get money the way Texas Southern does? Instead of one-for-ones with P5 schools we could do a season or two of one and dones for cash. It's not like we have any pride left after giving BCU one of our home FB games.

Reaction Score
Just picture March 2019, when we finish our third straight losing season in a row. That’s what we’re headed for with Ollie. Getting 1000 people in the civic center will be a chore.
Aren't they giving away free tickets to the Tulsa game to people who hold season tickets for football?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
No kidding. Look. I get it. Ollie has made some mistakes. He hasn't landed a shooter, etc. But don't try to tell me Terry's ACL and Gilberts shoulder are his fault. I don't want to hear it. If KO leaves and the whole team leaves is a new coach going to bring in an entire roster of players better than we have now? No way. Firing Ollie right now would be a huge mistake. They've got talent coming in. Lets play it out and see what happens.

Im no insider or guru like Chief00 but I would put the probability of that exact thinking by the decision makers at 95%

Which will make the April melts by people like this ... dot dot dot

No he just destroyed our basketball program

dot dot dot ... endless.

#poorJmick

Reaction Score

Never said fire him now. But saying he's been snakebit is also completely incorrect. With both Gilbert and Larrier, we lost to Wagner and Northeastern and were down 15 eight minutes into the game against Okla St when we lost Larrier. The team was awful fully intact, too. Those injuries, of course, are not KOs fault, but saying it was bad luck is implying that we were rolling and then we got screwed. And that's absolutely not true. We don't know if they would have gelled over time or not.

If we replace KO, it is likely that someone might leave. But it's up to the powers that be to bring in a coach who CAN bring in players. We already know that KOs name and UConn's for that matter in this regime are not exactly lighting it up in the recruiting world. Recruits know that all is not right here. If we make the right hire, we should be able to sell to a prospective recruit that the ship has been righted. Will it take a year or two of lumps? Quite probably. But I'd rather know that we are looking to change then continue to try the same thing that has not worked.

As far as the players coming in, they are solid. But I'm not sure if any of them are day-one impact players except out of necessity. Akinjo looks like he can play but small guards often take some time to figure out how to play against bigger and better competition and he's still just a borderline top 100 player. Matthews looks like he is talented and may be underrated, but he's rated (I know imperfect science) lower than Polley, and the big man looks like a garbage type guy. Useful, yes. Impact player? Not likely.

Again, an in-season fire is asinine on all accounts and simply will not happen unless they think Chill, Kill, or Ricky Moore is the next head coach and I think there is zero chance of that happening. But, I'm growing weary of just riding it out with KO because we are worried about what change may come. We need change or we are going to be completely irrelevant.

August_West

Reaction Score
But saying he's been snakebit is also completely incorrect. With both Gilbert and Larrier, we lost to Wagner and Northeastern and were down 15 eight minutes into the game against Okla St when we lost Larrier. The team was awful fully intact, too.

Wagner and Northeastern we had a full squad, true. And should not have lost those games but we incorporated a ton of new people. It would have been interesting to see if that team couldve gotten better over the course of the year intact.

Gilbert was already gone by OK state.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Wagner and Northeastern we had a full squad, true. And should not have lost those games but we incorporated a ton of new people. It would have been interesting to see if that team couldve gotten better over the course of the year intact.

Not that it's any excuse but Rodney was in a daze the first half dozen or so games last year.

Reaction Score

I am pretty sure we all know what happens if we play it out. I will be exactly like the past 4 disappointing seasons.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yes it's me, not the head coach. You are delusional

Fans were bailing before Ollie went to sh t for garbage reasons like not getting jazzed up by who we play in conference. Do people go to games to watch UConn or their opponents?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Not that it's any excuse but Rodney was in a daze the first half dozen or so games last year.
If only we had someone responsible for having his players ready last year.

Can we please get a filter that removes any excuses related to Larrier and AG injuries? Both risks were known to KO and he failed to secure any insurance against them going down, all the while running a solid recruiting class out of town and snoozing through the recruiting season.

Reaction Score
Fans were bailing before Ollie went to sh t for garbage reasons like not getting jazzed up by who we play in conference. Do people go to games to watch UConn or their opponents?

Even when we were in the Big East, it was tougher to get tickets for BC, Syracuse, Nova and Georgetown than it was St. Johns, Providence, Rutgers and Seton Hall. We had a shared history of meaningful/competitive games with those teams. You can pretend like the opponent shouldn't matter, but it does to more people than not. And we need those people to show up whether you like it or not.

Reaction Score

I obviously think we are better than 16-17 w/ Gilbert and Larrier. But we suffered two of our most embarrassing losses of all-time while the team was intact and struggled to beat a .500 Loyola Marymount team for our first win. While it does take time for the parts to come together, that team got thoroughly outplayed by a 16-14 Wagner team and was putrid against a 15-16 Northeastern team. If those were legit mid-majors, I could give some leeway with it being a new team, etc. Similar to how we've lost to Ohio or St Bon in the past when our team was coming together.

More than anything though, it's the way that we play. It's bad basketball. Even if you do not have the talent, you can still execute an offense, come out with effort, and not make the same mistakes over and over (player and coach). It's not that we do not have guys to hit shots (a talent issue), it's that we are not even able to get guys in position to take shots (a coaching issue.) I'm fine (well not really) if AA misses a good look from 3. But we rarely get a good look. Every shot is contested, every shot is rushedThat's the overriding issue that we ignore far too often. When you watch us run a "set" and the players are running to their spots at 70% and guys are olaying their screens, and getting beat up and down the court. That's as much on the coach as it is the players. When timeouts are continually not taken, rotations are maddeningly perplexing, we have players explaining that they were not ready to play every game, and the coach compares the program to a sinking ship with rats aboard... I mean my god what the hell happened.

I think back to JCs first year (obviously KO does not equal JC). We were 9-19 playing a soccer player Greg Economou at the 2G. There was a dearth of talent on that team. But they played freaking hard. We've looked two steps slow for four years. And that's not just because of S&C issues.

August_West

Reaction Score
It's not that we do not have guys to hit shots (a talent issue), it's that we are not even able to get guys in position to take shots (a coaching issue.)

Absolutely disagree with that. We get PLENTY of makeable shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom