Husky’s Team Roster Poll | The Boneyard

Husky’s Team Roster Poll

Given the current roster and signed recruits for both ‘21 & ‘22 should Geno add Kamila Cardoso?

• Yes, 6’7” talent is unique and makes the team better

Votes: 124 63.6%
  • No, while talented, the team has bigs and team chemistry is great, why risk it

Votes: 71 36.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While I put my reasons for “YES” or for “NO”, next to the only 2 options, feel free to add your reasoning after the vote in the thread but the choices are YES add more or NO don’t add.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I voted yes as it's not Geno's job to be nice, it's his job to win and she definitely has talent and is a huge prexence on the court, I did only see her once - the tourney game, but was not impressed with Cardosa's conditioning or play which could be due to her present coach or supporting cast.

Right now I don't see her as a starter and she's good enogh that she should start and play a lot somewhere, just don't see that happening at UConn given our athletic forwards and adding DJ and DeBerry. On the other hand she has talent, conditioning can be imporved and she would be unstoppable in the right environment - maybe a Kara Wolters down the road, so why not take a shot!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think next year Geno has the talent and depth to play an up tempo 3/4 court pressure game for 40 minutes. The more quality players we add, the merrier. Cardoso is too nice a piece to pass on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
it's a difficult one...Cardoso could become Griner like and for 3 years could solve any bigs issues UConn had...on the other hand, all kind of dominos will fall if she comes to UConn and chemistry could be an issue....i voted yes as if you have a chance to get such a promising talent you need to take it. You have to double her down low and all the UConn 3 point shooters will have a field day...

Reaction Score
Yes, you get the best talent you can when you can. I’m sure there were times Geno wished he could add a player with this level of talent. Now he has a shot at one and he needs to take that shot. We are fine without her. But better with her. I want a lock on #12.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I voted no. Could be turning down a difference maker. Now if she calls Geno and says, “ I think I’ll play for Dawn if I can’t play for you.” Then I’ll change my mind.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Both DeBerry and Liv have goals to enter the WNBA but they need to practice and compete against the very best if they really can cut it at the highest level. If Liv has what it takes, she will hold off Cardoso as a starter as Amari goes up against WNBA level talent right away

We also owe it to Paige and Azzi to surround them with as much talent as we can if we hope to enter another Multiple NC golden age.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UCONN would be lucky to land a player like that. Look at what a problem Boston is at SC for opposing teams. There are bigs over the past several years who are total game changers for their teams and opponents need a special game plan to slow them down.

She's a player unlike anything we have. IMHO she has the potential to be one of the best college centers ever. 6'7", strong, mobile, long, smart. We would be so lucky to land her. She has 1st team AA potential, maybe even NPOY. IMHO that's how good she can be.

Geno has potentially the greatest guard combo to ever play together in college. He would be negligent if he didn't do everything he could to surround them with as much great talent as possible.

Reaction Score
"What do I ( really ) know? " Montaigne
So, I would leave it up to GENO. But , if it did not
" upset" the team chemistry I would be persuaded to vote: " YES". Z

Reaction Score
I voted No, but I did so serene in the belief the most would vote yes! My No is premised on the potential impact on current and committed front court players.
My rationale as well. Also, I have not been impressed with Cardoso. Basketball is a game controlled by guards, not bigs - much to the boneyard’s chagrin. Brink is a nice player but Jones won the title for them. Where would Arizona have been without the smallest player on their team ? I believe we are a much better team with one or two posts and wings like AE, Ice, Patterson, Ducharme, Saylor and guards like Paige and Azzi. Cardoso would clog the lane and slow down any up-tempo offense. But the impact on current and committed recruits weighs heavily on me as it does with RockyMT.

Reaction Score
Both DeBerry and Liv have goals to enter the WNBA but they need to practice and compete against the very best if they really can cut it at the highest level. If Liv has what it takes, she will hold off Cardoso as a starter as Amari goes up against WNBA level talent right away

We also owe it to Paige and Azzi to surround them with as much talent as we can if we hope to enter another Multiple NC golden age.
I think you are correct, practicing against top talent is an underrated factor when appearing to have too many bigs. Playing time for several players could be reduced, but instead of facing a WNBA potential big a few times a year you can do it every day in practice. Maybe Liv can get more confidence developing an offensive game against top bigs going against Dorka, Amari and Piath in practice so she is better prepared for Stanford, South Carolina, Baylor etc. Same for the others, they have to try to score against Liv which could be a challenge for them.

Some players with WNBA dreams may be ok with that, knowing on a top team they will be seen and evaluated despite their playing time, and others won't, they think their prospects are better putting up big numbers with starter minutes against weaker opposition. I think the greater competition in practice route, probably prepares a big better for the WNBA because top competition is hard to find, but for other positions, maybe it would be the opposite.

Reaction Score
I posted "yes" but Geno will say "no". He wants to win, but not at all costs.

Reaction Score
I voted yes. I don't see any chemistry problems. If some one has a problem they either work it out or leave. Sure David wins many games but Goliath was unbeaten for a long time!

Reaction Score
At some point, as a head coach, you have to realize that bringing in players could be a negative force for the team...players can tell if their minutes are going to be dropped and they will feel less important to the team and start to question if the school wants them to stay.

Reaction Score
Her announcement was a week ago and we are still waiting to see if that tweet was actually true or a rumor. I would think that if it was true (about UConn) then something official would have been announced by now, most likely by Cardoso. Remember, the original tweet was not by Cardoso but by someone else AND it also stated that her choice would be made quickly. I am sensing some molasses on Twitter :rolleyes: .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does the announcement need to be made by May 1? The announcements don’t always seem to come quickly. I hope she makes the right decision ( UConn ).

Reaction Score
UCONN would be lucky to land a player like that. Look at what a problem Boston is at SC for opposing teams. There are bigs over the past several years who are total game changers for their teams and opponents need a special game plan to slow them down.

She's a player unlike anything we have. IMHO she has the potential to be one of the best college centers ever. 6'7", strong, mobile, long, smart. We would be so lucky to land her. She has 1st team AA potential, maybe even NPOY. IMHO that's how good she can be.

Geno has potentially the greatest guard combo to ever play together in college. He would be negligent if he didn't do everything he could to surround them with as much great talent as possible.
OK, you've sold me. Cardoso come on down to Storrs please!

Reaction Score
I voted no.
Already plenty of talent.
Already a big front line.
Why starve existing bigs of playing time and thus development?
Why change the equation for existing players and those on the way?
UCONN is special for reasons beyond wins.
The process.
“Oh, Oh, Oh...better hope South Carolina doesn’t get her..”.
Pleeeeze
I don’t think that 2 Xtra inches means a darn thing.
I’d rather see her go to SC and THEN beat the sauce out of them.
As always, JMHO.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
After watching a few of her games this past season I would vote no. It's not based on chemistry it's based on attitude. I was able to record the game against her this season. If you have a chance to watch it I urge you do so. What I saw was a player without emotion a player who seemed not to care about the game, when on the bench she wasn't even watching the game half the time showing little to no emotion. Watch the game and let me know if you think I'm wrong, I welcome other opinions.
Chemistry, I don't get it, any team playing well appears to have good chemistry, Any team playing poorly appears to have bad chemistry. The same team can have both bad and good chemistry... our team, we think has good chemistry however put Liv, AE, AG, Mir and EW on the floor together suddenly a team with good chemistry looks like a team that can't find the ball. Put Paige, Nika, Liv, CW and EW on the floor together and most of the time it looks like good chemistry, if they were going through a bad stretch they could look like they have no chemistry. What does it mean? Wish I knew cause in my mind not a darn thing. Chemistry an overrated term that is only relevant for a moment in time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger