OT: - Hurricane Ida hitting Gulf on Katrina's 16th anniversary | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Ida hitting Gulf on Katrina's 16th anniversary

Reaction Score
On August 29th 2005 Katrina hit New Orleans as a Cat 3 (was 5 at sea).

Ida is now a Cat 4 expected to make landfall in New Orleans area Sunday.

Those in its path stay safe, it looks scary!

1630107392243.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have friends and family in the city. The latest track is concerning. One is in the city proper, the others on the north side of the lake. It looks bad.

A fellow Northeastern U parent lives in NOLA, her son has move in day today like my daughter. They got on a plane to Charlotte then Boston an hour before the airport closed yesterday. Her husband drove their daughter to Texas to evacuate, took ten hours instead of the usual five.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Last night it was 105mph. It's 150 mph right now less than 12 hours later.

Reaction Score
I'm 285 miles North East of New Orleans and the wind is picking up a little bit already. I hope that the ones foolishly staying behind make it through the storm.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
On the Alabama/Florida line. Had a nasty squall last night around 11-12 pm. Otherwise 20-25 mph winds and off and on rain, sometimes heavy. Tons of cars with Mississippi and Louisiana tags heading east yesterday on I-10 and all the hotels along the interstate are filled up with evacuees.

Everyone we know with kids in college in Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama had their kids come home Friday afternoon.

The bayous of Louisiana are going to get destroyed. New Orleans, Slidell, Covington and Baton Rouge better watch out too. Once it gets north of Louisiana the winds should get below 110 which most stuff built in past 20 years can handle. As more and more people are learning it's the rain, flooding and tidal surges which are the primary killers and cause the majority of property damage.

Most of coastal Louisiana is 10-20 inches of rain above normal for the year. While the ground is porous, there still isn't much room for runoff.

Reaction Score
On the Alabama/Florida line. Had a nasty squall last night around 11-12 pm. Otherwise 20-25 mph winds and off and on rain, sometimes heavy. Tons of cars with Mississippi and Louisiana tags heading east yesterday on I-10 and all the hotels along the interstate are filled up with evacuees.

Everyone we know with kids in college in Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama had their kids come home Friday afternoon.

The bayous of Louisiana are going to get destroyed. New Orleans, Slidell, Covington and Baton Rouge better watch out too. Once it gets north of Louisiana the winds should get below 110 which most stuff built in past 20 years can handle. As more and more people are learning it's the rain, flooding and tidal surges which are the primary killers and cause the majority of property damage.

Most of coastal Louisiana is 10-20 inches of rain above normal for the year. While the ground is porous, there still isn't much room for runoff.
I know that you are closer to the storm than I am...be safe

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
LOCATION...28.9N 90.1W
ABOUT 25 MI...40 KM SSW OF GRAND ISLE LOUISIANA
ABOUT 60 MI...95 KM SE OF HOUMA LOUISIANA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...150 MPH...240 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 320 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...933 MB...27.55 INCHES

Hurricane Ida Update Statement (noaa.gov)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
u get into the 920s, and were talking top 5 alltime for US low pressure events.
Factbox-The most intense hurricanes to hit the United States (msn.com)
looks like reuters read the same thing we did (above post). imagine that.

'Gasoline is the largest single volume refined product sold in the United States accounting for almost half of national oil consumption. US gasoline futures jumped more than 5% to near $2.3 a gallon, approaching levels not seen since October 2014...'
and that was last week. you know what they do really well down in the gulf for us? make gasoline.
hey warshington! ur planning ability really, really, rots. thanks fer nuthin.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
We shall overcome. We always do.

on another note...why are prisoners being relocated? They're in jail to suffer for their crimes, no?
No they're in prison to be reformed so they can re-enter society

Reaction Score
We shall overcome. We always do.

on another note...why are prisoners being relocated? They're in jail to suffer for their crimes, no?
Not all prisoners are criminals, or rightfully convicted.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'The force of the storm was so strong that the Mississippi River was flowing in reverse, according to the Army Corps of Engineers. Some 22 barges docked on the river in Destrehan, a town in St. Bernard Parish, have broken loose, according to officials, posing a threat to the water intake and refinery infrastructure.'
'Louisiana utility officials said that ‘catastrophic transmission damage’ caused power to go out for all of New Orleans and Orleans Parish.'

the cat 4 winds lasted hours after landfall.
no emergency personnel will be sent out until daybreak.
10 to 20 inches of rain.

it's going to be a very long night for them folks. :(

Reaction Score
I hope everyone is safe in that area. Boneyarders and all alike!!

Reaction Score
Grand Isle is uninhabitable and may take 3-5 years to rebuild. Hard to imagine being stuck out there with no roads or people for that matter.

I'm headed to the Outer Banks in a week or so with similar land structure. It always amazes me how people are willing live so precariously.

Expecting a torrent of rain here tonight. I may complain about CT but if its not one of the safest states in the Country then I don't know what other state is.

In other news: Alligator kills man wading in Hurricane Ida floodwaters.

1630534365996.png

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Grand Isle is uninhabitable and may take 3-5 years to rebuild. Hard to imagine being stuck out there with no roads or people for that matter.

I'm headed to the Outer Banks in a week or so with similar land structure. It always amazes me how people are willing live so precariously.

Expecting a torrent of rain here tonight. I may complain about CT but if its not one of the safest states in the Country then I don't know what other state is.

In other news: Alligator kills man wading in Hurricane Ida floodwaters.

View attachment 69570
We really need to reconsider living in hurricane/shoreline, desert, forest fire, and earthquake areas.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, Ida isn’t done yet. Unusually strong (for the east coast) tornado activity today from Annapolis thru Philly, Trenton up to the Brunswicks in NJ. Gonna be a rough night in CT.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, Ida isn’t done yet. Unusually strong (for the east coast) tornado activity today from Annapolis thru Philly, Trenton up to the Brunswicks in NJ. Gonna be a rough night in CT.
Was through here (Pittsburgh) from late morning yesterday to mid-afternoon today. No wind to speak of, thankfully, as ground is absolutely soaked at this point. Tons of flooding here, 3"-4" in many areas. Ohio and Monogahela rivers expected to swell, likely covering Point State Park (at the confluence of the three rivers). Low areas around creeks less than mile from me were evacuated.

I'd imagine if you guys in CT get any sustained wind with this, it's going to take down tons of trees. Hopefully it's just rain. Be safe!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We really need to reconsider living in hurricane/shoreline, desert, forest fire, and earthquake areas.
So no east coast or west coast. Dubuque is going get awfully crowded, I guess.

(Oh wait Dubuque had an earthquake in 1967, is there some kind of statute of limitations?)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom