OT: - Hurricane Ida hitting Gulf on Katrina's 16th anniversary | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Ida hitting Gulf on Katrina's 16th anniversary

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
So no east coast or west coast. Dubuque is going get awfully crowded, I guess.

(Oh wait Dubuque had an earthquake in 1967, is there some kind of statute of limitations?)
I think you missed my point

Reaction Score
9" of rain in NYC, Staten Island got 1 inch in 15 minutes. Could be an interesting night for us lowlanders. Rain's been steady with stronger bands but nothing torrential yet in Elmwood

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We really need to reconsider living in hurricane/shoreline, desert, forest fire, and earthquake areas.
Was through here (Pittsburgh) from late morning yesterday to mid-afternoon today. No wind to speak of, thankfully, as ground is absolutely soaked at this point. Tons of flooding here, 3"-4" in many areas. Ohio and Monogahela rivers expected to swell, likely covering Point State Park (at the confluence of the three rivers). Low areas around creeks less than mile from me were evacuated.

I'd imagine if you guys in CT get any sustained wind with this, it's going to take down tons of trees. Hopefully it's just rain. Be safe!

That didn't age well.

Although I agree humans thinking building roads, bridges and buildings on barrier islands is stupid.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
went for a walk before dinner. kinda eery vibe with scattered drops. just plain odd. i look over aboot fifty or so yards and see a coyote (wolf) youth, aboot 30-40 lbs, wandering out from the treeline. he looks my way and i bark ('take a hike, jack. im in no mood') at him. he wanders back into the forest.
now (one power outage already) it's nonstop raining buckets with lightning popping up se, s, and sw, with distant long low thunder rumbles.
very unusual.
GOES-East CONUS - Geostationary Lightning Mapper - NOAA / NESDIS / STAR

yeppers, weirdorama. wind blowing like a tropical storm. not good. that sw fairdale county/westchester area looks like ground zero for big water. keep a flashlight handy, regardless if ur generator is instant on.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I wish we would get some rain in Cali.

You already have people in Cali wanting to build a pipeline from the Mississippi River to Cali. Maybe Cali can contract out east coasters to bucket water and transport them to California. No flooding on the east coast and water on the west coast.

Reaction Score
My area of Norwalk got rocked with rain. Four inches in four hours.

Our nearby rivers and streams are OK, just a lot of loose ground, gravel and dirt all over the main streets.

Pissed at our neighbors: instead of repaving their driveway, they covered it with loose gravel. With the heavy rain and water flow, all of that gravel that was sitting on the asphalt washed onto our driveway and yard.

I haven't seen rain like this since I witnessed the monsoon rains of the Philippines.

Reaction Score
Oh, and our city garbage can is missing and we found a fish on our yard!
Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 8.51.59 AM.jpg

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Tons of debris from the small stream in my backyard washed into a corner of my yard. As I talked about in a different thread, my neighbor is all bent out of shape because with all the heavy rain we’ve been having the storm drain in my yard has been becoming overwhelmed and backed up mud has run into his yard from ours under the fence.

Town dropped off absorbent “sandbags”for me to use to line the fence and divert water. Well the neighbors pool was brown again this morning. Wife and I are eagerly awaiting the lawsuit. Instead of coming after us because we’ve had 3 tropical storms come through in a week and half, come after the pool company who let you put an inground pool in a low lying swamp.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Got about 5" here in MA. Seems those of you south of us saw a bit more. Weirdly, it's cold.

Reaction Score
If I see videos of NYC rats like building rafts or doing the 200m freestyle in the sewers I might consider fleeing the northeast lol

Reaction Score
Neighbors apartment in Queens flooded, we had water up to our door, the drain wasn't draining fast enough but never seen it rain that hard that fast. Think it was rained 3 inches in an hour at one point. All the businesses and apartments with basements below ground all got flooded. Wild

Reaction Score
Very high water table in my town (and my area in particular). So happy we put a French drain in when we renovated our basement. Pump was going every couple minutes all night, but everything is dry.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'went for a walk before dinner. kinda eery vibe with scattered drops. just plain odd. i look over aboot fifty or so yards and see a coyote (wolf) youth, aboot 30-40 lbs, wandering out from the treeline.'
nature don't lie.
the jig was up days ago. hangin out with some pals tuesday eve, i hear the usual 'what r u lookin at so intensely?' i sez 'the sky.' i don't recall seeing a cloud pattern so messed up before. i don't know what it means, but it is beyond weird...'
good call, tv 'weather forecasters.' they should look up every now and then. might learn something. i mean, it's not like twisters weren't tearing up the mid atlantic earlier, or were they?
props to karstenkibbe fer having a brain. and posting the truth.

Reaction Score
'went for a walk before dinner. kinda eery vibe with scattered drops. just plain odd. i look over aboot fifty or so yards and see a coyote (wolf) youth, aboot 30-40 lbs, wandering out from the treeline.'
nature don't lie.
the jig was up days ago. hangin out with some pals tuesday eve, i hear the usual 'what r u lookin at so intensely?' i sez 'the sky.' i don't recall seeing a cloud pattern so messed up before. i don't know what it means, but it is beyond weird...'
good call, tv 'weather forecasters.' they should look up every now and then. might learn something. i mean, it's not like twisters weren't tearing up the mid atlantic earlier, or were they?
props to karstenkibbe fer having a brain. and posting the truth.
Thanks dude. The writing was on the wall in our area for days about the potential damage that a sub tropical Ida, combined with the front off the coast, could cause. By the way, for those of you in CT and throughout southern New England, @Eweather13 is a great follow on Twitter if you get geeked out on weather.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom