OT: - Hurricane Ida hitting Gulf on Katrina's 16th anniversary | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Ida hitting Gulf on Katrina's 16th anniversary

Reaction Score
I already knew the answers to those questions? I was asking you. You don’t know what you’re talking about so you google something and quote someone who could be very wrong. Experts can have differing opinions, doesn’t mean they’re wrong or right. As for my credentials, I have worked with Joe Furey, Scott Haney, and knew Dr Mel Goldstein many years ago, though never worked with him. I attended Lyndon State College majoring in Meteorology with a Physics minor. I also am a UConn Husky fan so I had to run into a pompous knowitall like you on a fan board. Have a nice day!!!
I believe that you have pompous in spades. Does the Weather Channel have a forum that you can hang out on? Sometimes showing people what you know is kinda equivalent to showing your arse...just an fyi.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I already knew the answers to those questions? I was asking you. You don’t know what you’re talking about so you google something and quote someone who could be very wrong. Experts can have differing opinions, doesn’t mean they’re wrong or right. As for my credentials, I have worked with Joe Furey, Scott Haney, and knew Dr Mel Goldstein many years ago, though never worked with him. I attended Lyndon State College majoring in Meteorology with a Physics minor. I also am a UConn Husky fan so I had to run into a pompous knowitall like you on a fan board. Have a nice day!!!
Have you noticed that the storm surge is always higher on the right side of the hurricane? The pressure isn't lower there - the winds are higher & directional pushing more water. It's a combination of pressure, tides, wind and momentum of the storm that work together - it's not just the pressure.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Have you noticed that the storm surge is always higher on the right side of the hurricane? The pressure isn't lower there - the winds are higher & directional pushing more water. It's a combination of pressure, tides, wind and momentum of the storm that work together - it's not just the pressure.

Do you know what a hurricane’s surge actually is??? A hurricane storm surge is a bubble of water at sea that moves with the storms forward motion. The top of that bubble sits right underneath the hurricanes eye. The bubble is a function of the hurricane’s barometric pressure, the lower the barometric pressure the bigger or higher it gets. As the hurricane moves onshore the bubble moves along with it, and that is what causes the surge and all the flooding. The steepness of the pressure gradient, or how fast the pressure falls as you go toward the eye also determines the steepness of the surge or bubble. Remember that a hurricane is a circular area of low pressure or a depression in the atmosphere (troposphere) with winds spiraling in toward it, it’s like water flowing down a circular depression in the ground, the steeper the gradient, the faster it will flow in toward the center. With the steepness of the circular depression in the ground analogous to the pressure gradient in a depression in the atmosphere. Hope that makes sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom