Hurley's first 3 seasons | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley's first 3 seasons

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What ifs are lame, but I will always wonder what Bouk woulda looked like in the Tournaments without the injury. He was arguably the best player in college basketball before that.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Perhaps the greatest accolade DH has received, and potentially the most impactful for recruiting and future game results, is JB's recognition and appreciation for how DH (and KY and TM) helped him mature and taught him life lessons as well as how to be a better player.

If you're a recruit and you heard what James Bouknight said about DH when he was interviewed after his second Summer League game, where would you sign?

Nearest I can figure you have Jim Boeheim, KY Jelly, and Trademark all in one post. Please, at least attempt to type the full name.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The #1 factor for why those first 2 years were "disappointing" for some was because the two guys with the ball in their hands the most of the time were not team oriented. Since he inherited them and was trying to build a culture of inclusion, Hurley handled them with kid gloves when he could have just "my way or the highwayed" them. His approach worked. It might have cost him a few wins along the way, but the old guys ended up buying in and the team was firing on all cylinders at the end when COVID struck. How was that season disappointing?

Last year, everyone was cautiously optimistic about making the dance. And we made the dance in his 3rd year, how was that disappointing? Even without factoring in the key injuries. Hurley's been great. It took JC four years to make the dance at UConn and another 9 to make a FF. DH is ahead of schedule.
Lol. You’re joking of course. If you think there is any comparison at all between the program Jim Calhoun took over and what Hurley took over just look at the banners that hung in Gampel when each arrived. Oh wait, there was not Gampel when Calhoun came. And UConn was the only Big East program not to have made the Tournament as a big East member. And it was already the top league in the country. Not a watered down faux power league.

Hurley has been fine. His teams have largely spit the bit in big games so that needs to change going forward. He recruited really well so now he needs to start producing.

Reaction Score
I think he's done a great job and I wouldn't want anyone else. With that said, exceeded expectations is too much.

I think we're right where we thought we'd be.
In an abstract, my guess would have been a better Year 3 overall, a slight step back Year 4, and then the sort of near-permanent success from Year 5 on. This is based on the state of the roster at the time he took over, what it takes to recruit a roster that is excellent top to bottom and given players leaving early.

I did think we might have had a better Year 1 because of Adams returning, and injuries essentially derailed that year. Adams missed 7 games. Gilbert 8. It screwed up any chance they had getting rhythm. But you could see the improvement.

Year 2 was actually better than I thought it would be, and without Covid the team would have had 20 wins (only Tulane stood i the way) and may have found its way into the tournament.

The overall results of Year 3 are weaker than I'd like, but Covid and injuries to Akok, Bouknight, and Jackson obviously played major roles.

I'm not as high on some on Year 4. The roster is the most talented it's been in a very long time, but our most talented players are still Freshmen and Sophomores (or, in the case of Akok, coming off a major injury). There are a few things that can happen that could make this team a S16 team, but I'm expecting a more bubbly team than most.

Still, I'm happy with Hurley and where we are. The growth in essentially every player has been truly remarkable. For god's sake, Whaley didn't know where how to operate in an organized game at all—he was all over the place even two years ago—and now he's a very good role player.

The future is bright.

Reaction Score
The elite coaching era from the past 25+ years is finally coming to an end (Calhoun, Pitino, Coach K, Roy, Boeheim, Izzo, Cal, etc.)

When all is said and done, I truly believe we secured a guy who will be considered an all-time great for this next era. (Hurley, Jay Wright, Chris Beard, Nate Oats, Juwan Howard, Scott Drew, Musselman, etc.)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lol. You’re joking of course. If you think there is any comparison at all between the program Jim Calhoun took over and what Hurley took over just look at the banners that hung in Gampel when each arrived...Hurley has been fine. His teams have largely spit the bit in big games so that needs to change going forward. He recruited really well so now he needs to start producing.
Calhoun was a massive disappointment in his third year. That team underachieved so badly it hurt Cliff in the draft. If there was a Boneyard back then it would have buried him.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
In an abstract, my guess would have been a better Year 3 overall, a slight step back Year 4, and then the sort of near-permanent success from Year 5 on. This is based on the state of the roster at the time he took over, what it takes to recruit a roster that is excellent top to bottom and given players leaving early.

I did think we might have had a better Year 1 because of Adams returning, and injuries essentially derailed that year. Adams missed 7 games. Gilbert 8. It screwed up any chance they had getting rhythm. But you could see the improvement.

Year 2 was actually better than I thought it would be, and without Covid the team would have had 20 wins (only Tulane stood i the way) and may have found its way into the tournament.

The overall results of Year 3 are weaker than I'd like, but Covid and injuries to Akok, Bouknight, and Jackson obviously played major roles.

I'm not as high on some on Year 4. The roster is the most talented it's been in a very long time, but our most talented players are still Freshmen and Sophomores (or, in the case of Akok, coming off a major injury). There are a few things that can happen that could make this team a S16 team, but I'm expecting a more bubbly team than most.

Still, I'm happy with Hurley and where we are. The growth in essentially every player has been truly remarkable. For god's sake, Whaley didn't know where how to operate in an organized game at all—he was all over the place even two years ago—and now he's a very good role player.

The future is bright.

Based on your first sentence, it does sound like they are right on track for what you said.

Getting Floyd acclimated this year for 2022-23 is only going to speed that process up as well.

Reaction Score
Totally right Waq. They won the NIT in 1988 and they had their nucleus back in 1989 and everyone was expecting and predicting an NCAA tournament bid. It didn’t happen and if Twitter or the Boneyard existed JC would have gotten torched. It’s also why 1990 was so out of the blue having lost Robinson and Gamble and thinking we would be a lower tier Big East team.

Reaction Score
Based on your first sentence, it does sound like they are right on track for what you said.

Getting Floyd acclimated this year for 2022-23 is only going to speed that process up as well.
Yup. I feel like we're where we're supposed to be. Injuries hurt all three years so far, so hopefully we avoid the injury bug for a little while—what, was 2016 the last year where the team wasn't severely impacted by injuries?

I do have a lower bar here than most for this year, though. The upperclassmen aren't the players with the most talent (except Akok) and shooting seems to be a problem. I'll be very happy to be wrong.

Reaction Score
Calhoun was a massive disappointment in his third year. That team underachieved so badly it hurt Cliff in the draft. If there was a Boneyard back then it would have buried him.
Did you see Cliff play as a freshman? I mean seriously. Nobody had him as a future NBA star. Yes Year 3 was a step back. First NIT Champ in many years to not get an NCAA bid the following year, but if you don’t get the difference between what Jim Calhoun inherited and what Hurley inherited I honestly don’t know what to tell you. Think DePaul today without the history Of DePaul. UConn considered it a successful season if we didn’t have to play in the 8-9 game in the Big East Tournament. If you asked every single UConn basketball fan if we would ever win a title, I doubt you would have found 1 who would say yes. We had people last season predicting it, with a very flawed team.

Reaction Score
Hurley is ahead of JC after 3 years. And JC inherited better players.

Better “potential” players or better players? Hate to say Perno was much worst than Ollie and while Cliff and Phil were obviously good players they became the players they were only because of JC. Same would go for Jeff King and the incoming frosh like Tate. Besselink got better finished his career very well under JC. And the 2 of his best having academic issues and him needing to play Economou and others way too much didn’t leave him with 3 great years. Add to that it was all up to JC to create the atmosphere for recruits to want to come to UConn, no history whatsoever. While Danny’s been solid and recruiting has been really trending upwards he was left some decent players and also the banners, facilities are a ton better than the Field House. There’s no comparison to me.

Having said all that many others have hit on the same things I think. I’m extremely happy we have DH. He’s a breath of fresh air in his passion for the program and he has a great focus for the players to be sure they continue to strive to keep getting better. The program is coming back but he also needs to improve some of his ways in the offense and some substitution patterns at times. But overall you can’t be anything but excited for the future of the Huskies.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Lol. You’re joking of course.
^ Roll the projector, please...

Regrettably, you're a prisoner of your brand management strategy here, and it cripples several legitimate points that you made in the full post from which I've excerpted above, as well as in its 'doubledown' follow-up.

Fastened to an 'either/or' mindset, you completely ignore an apparent & available 'both/and' scenario in which the inarguable facts that compare history & circumstances between when JC arrived and when Hurley arrived are used by you to create a narrative that ignores and/or twists what's otherwise clear & appropriate throughout most of the discussion that's being pursued here.

That's perfectly fine enough if you want to be no more than a contrarian or gadfly a, but in doing so, you make it too easy & tempting for you to be ignored, dismissed, or the object of ridicule. At this juncture, you're aiming too low, and all I can responsibly do is point that out while conceding that you have potential to contribute far more valuably.

Maybe in time I'll just click dislike, but for now I'll keep trying to coach you up.

Reaction Score
guy (Huskybass) writes a solid cogent few paragraph essay on why Ollie success devolved into a nice few years of Hurley ... and you type - you don't like to read?

what are you doing around the Boneyard. There's a whole bunch of guys that don't write as well as that ... go find some twitter thread. Probably less words.

Reaction Score

I don't agree with this. He was playing Greg Economou. Ollie gave Hurley a depth chart

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Better “potential” players or better players?
Better players. Real time Cliff, Phil and Tate were light-years ahead of Vital, Gilbert and whoever you want to put 3rd. And Hurley finally got through to Vital, the best yet most difficult inherited player. I don't think Calhoun ever really got through to Cliff until after his draft snub. If he had, they would have made the dance.

And yeah I did see Cliff as a freshman, I went to all the games. At the time we were saying Perno was so stupid he didn't start his best player until late in the year. The idea that Cliff was a nobody who Calhoun miraculously turned into a star is a myth. Everyone knew he was good then.

Look, I agree that Hurley has to keep the progression going but to date the man has nothing on him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't agree with this. He was playing Greg Economou. Ollie gave Hurley a depth chart
Except Greg had graduated the year before the season in question.

Reaction Score
If you asked every single UConn basketball fan if we would ever win a title, I doubt you would have found 1 who would say yes. We had people last season predicting it, with a very flawed team.

based on this sentence Hurley inherited a more difficult situation than Calhoun. You are right, expectations now are outrageous, fans complaining about last years results when the two best players on the team were injured is nuts. The season would have been completely different with a heathy AKOK and a healthy JB.

and BTW having fans complain about Hurley's offense is another thing Hurley has in common with JC as JC always had fans complaining about his offense. Always.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kenpom:

YearRkTeamConfW-LAdjEMAdjOAdjDAdjTLuckAdjEMOppOOppDAdjEM
2018​
179​
ConnecticutAmer14-18
-0.43​
105/171105.4/17867/2360.075/265.89/69107.7/74101.8/614.87/40
2019​
98​
ConnecticutAmer16-17
6.78​
109/85102.2/12968.6/122-0.07/3233.79/79105.6/98101.8/67-5.7/318
2020​
52​
ConnecticutAmer19-12
13​
108.6/6495.6/5968.5/167-0.077/3254.52/86103.1/12498.6/54-1.69/233
2021​
21​
Connecticut 7BE15-8
20.6​
113.1/2792.5/2965.5/309-0.068/31012.99/57108.2/6995.2/33-1.27/240

247 recruiting rankings(with Floyd's reclass '21 will rise):

YearRankTeamTotal Commits5 Star4 Star3 StarAvgTotal Points
2018​
122​
Connecticut
1​
1​
91.05​
21.05​
2019​
18​
Connecticut
4​
3​
1​
95.38​
62.13​
2020​
25​
Connecticut
3​
2​
1​
95.43​
58.41​
2021​
15​
Connecticut
3​
3​
97.91​
61.8​

II don't know how the luck stat is calculated but Hurley has been very unlucky.

Despite that, the results speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
Hurley is ahead of JC after 3 years. And JC
Except Greg had graduated the year before the season in question.

There’s 3 seasons in question actually and not one year has Hurley had anyone close to the likes of Greg Economou playing significant minutes. And Tate George was good as a freshman only because it was JC coaching him so let’s not play the card he was a great player when he arrived he was just another Perno recruit. And the year you guys question I would agree to a point it was a bit disappointing but the Big East was strong and they weren’t yet better than GTown, Pitt, Cuse, Johnnies, the Hall and check out PC 88-89 they were very good too. They lost some close games in the league versus the top teams it was still heading in the right direction. For me much more impressive 3 years from JC and we knew he could coach in game. Certainly we knew it the next year for sure!

Again like our guy now couldn’t be happier but no way we can go there yet!

Reaction Score
contrasting Jim Calhoun 1-3 and Danny Hurley 1-3 ... is just as frustrating a conversation as URI fans looking at UCONN.

Different world. And 1988 is far different than 2021. Pandemic and all.

Reaction Score
contrasting Jim Calhoun 1-3 and Danny Hurley 1-3 ... is just as frustrating a conversation as URI fans looking at UCONN.

^^^THIS^^^

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Exactly, why are we contrasting similar results?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Better players. Real time Cliff, Phil and Tate were light-years ahead of Vital, Gilbert and whoever you want to put 3rd. And Hurley finally got through to Vital, the best yet most difficult inherited player. I don't think Calhoun ever really got through to Cliff until after his draft snub. If he had, they would have made the dance.

And yeah I did see Cliff as a freshman, I went to all the games. At the time we were saying Perno was so stupid he didn't start his best player until late in the year. The idea that Cliff was a nobody who Calhoun miraculously turned into a star is a myth. Everyone knew he was good then.

Look, I agree that Hurley has to keep the progression going but to date the man has nothing on him.

You omitted the most talented guy DH inherited: Adams

An underachiever, one of our program’s biggest, but I’d say more talented than Gamble and Tate. I bet if Jalen had made that shot against Cincy in the Elite 8 of his final season (a la Tate) he would’ve gotten drafted!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You omitted the most talented guy DH inherited: Adams

An underachiever, one of our program’s biggest, but I’d say more talented than Gamble and Tate.
True, I forgot about him. But he only played one year and went undrafted. Phil and the 1st round pick were a pre-formed back court for 3 years. In the context of inherited players, hardly a comparison.

Reaction Score
True, I forgot about him. But he only played one year and went undrafted. Phil and the 1st round pick were a pre-formed back court for 3 years. In the context of inherited players, hardly a comparison.
uconn.jpg
True, I forgot about him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom