Hurley's first 3 seasons | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley's first 3 seasons

Reaction Score
Certainly Hurley would agree with you; and I likewise think it makes him appear smaller when he does.

We get the point. We all lived through it. We don't need to hear the same drumbeat now three-plus years removed from it. To my ear, it hurts the argument more than it helps at this point, because it sounds like trying to excuse somewhat middling results on paper so far.

I wanted Ollie gone at the end and I am glad we have Hurley. There is no question in my mind that he has made progress, including this past season. There is also no question that we all expected a little more by way of results, but the future looks very bright and that is in very large part because of Hurley's efforts.
But that's the thing, we're not talking about year 4 in this thread when the excuses come up. The discussion is about years 1-3 and that's the #1 factor for why those first 2 years were "disappointing". Bringing up the state of the program is always going to be relevant when discussing the results of Hurley's first year whether that discussion is happening at the time or 20 years later

Maybe I'm in the minority but I certainly didn't expect more results so far, if I'm being honest I'm surprised it's even turned around this quick. I honestly don't even know how anyone can look at the results and call them middling. But it's been pretty universally said by both sides that in year 4 Hurley needs to start winning now regardless of past circumstances

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Certainly Hurley would agree with you; and I likewise think it makes him appear smaller when he does.

We get the point. We all lived through it. We don't need to hear the same drumbeat now three-plus years removed from it. To my ear, it hurts the argument more than it helps at this point, because it sounds like trying to excuse somewhat middling results on paper so far.

I wanted Ollie gone at the end and I am glad we have Hurley. There is no question in my mind that he has made progress, including this past season. There is also no question that we all expected a little more by way of results, but the future looks very bright and that is in very large part because of Hurley's efforts.
Disagree. Circumstances matter. Washington beat the Hessians at Trenton. That's an accomplishment but understanding the circumstances of that he was leading glorified militia of citizen soldiers, the bulk of who's enlistment was poised to lapse in a matter of days, and who were coming off of a series of military defeats helps you to understand the magnitude of the victory.

Same is true of Hurley. You cannot judge progress without first knowing the starting point.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But that's the thing, we're not talking about year 4 in this thread when the excuses come up. The discussion is about years 1-3 and that's the #1 factor for why those first 2 years were "disappointing". Bringing up the state of the program is always going to be relevant when discussing the results of Hurley's first year whether that discussion is happening at the time or 20 years later

Maybe I'm in the minority but I certainly didn't expect more results so far, if I'm being honest I'm surprised it's even turned around this quick. I honestly don't even know how anyone can look at the results and call them middling. But it's been pretty universally said by both sides that in year 4 Hurley needs to start winning now regardless of past circumstances

Disagree. Circumstances matter. Washington beat the Hessians at Trenton. That's an accomplishment but understanding the circumstances of that he was leading glorified militia of citizen soldiers, the bulk of who's enlistment was poised to lapse in a matter of days, and who were coming off of a series of military defeats helps you to understand the magnitude of the victory.

Same is true of Hurley. You cannot judge progress without first knowing the starting point.
Fair enough. I guess not everyone expected a little more so far. Maybe not even most. I didn't realize how many people were happy with the way last season ended.

I guess all I can fairly say, which I have said several times, is that I believe Hurley has been successful and has made progress, but yeah I was expecting a little better showing in the post-season last season. That's all. But maybe that's just me. So be it.

My initial point in this thread was to note, in response to the post stating that Ollie did nothing but crash and burn the program to the ground, that he did manage to win a National Championship in his second season. In my mind that's a lot more than a footnote, and is also important for perspective.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Fair enough. I guess not everyone expected a little more so far. Maybe not even most. I didn't realize how many people were happy with the way last season ended.

I guess all I can fairly say, which I have said several times, is that I believe Hurley has been successful and has made progress, but yeah I was expecting a little better showing in the post-season last season. That's all. But maybe that's just me. So be it.

My initial point in this thread was to note, in response to the post stating that Ollie did nothing but crash and burn the program to the ground, that he did manage to win a National Championship in his second season. In my mind that's a lot more than a footnote, and is also important for perspective.

I think we would have done a little better if Bouk wasn't injured, which cost us seeding and also affected his and the team's play.

Of course every team has injuries, but he was our #1, #2 and #3 offensive options when healthy.

If you had told me when we hired him that we'd be exactly where we are on August 12, 2021, I would have happily accepted that. And I think that says it all.

Reaction Score

The results aren't middling overall, he's turned around the program. From the staff he put together to building it the right way where there will be sustained success to his recruiting it might be even a little more than I expected and I wanted Hurley to be our coach since before we hired Ollie. With that being said you are in the minority if you didn't expect us to have a tournament win by the start of year 4.

He's done an amazing job loading the roster with talent, that has to translate to some sort of tournament success. He's said it and the fanbase expects it, now it's time to do it.

Reaction Score
I'm a diehard URI fan, but I will always follow Hurley to whatever team he goes to. A fan on our message board posted this comment about Dan.... "I am a Hurley fan...but he hasn't done much at UConn in 3 years now. No tourney wins, and they only danced last year because the Big East was way down. And they missed a golden opportunity to win the BE tourney. Lost to a reeling Creighton team in semis who then got embarrassed by a decent G-town team...Just the facts."

I think if Bouk stayed healthy, you would have won a game or two in the tournament. Unfortunately, he didn't look the same when he came back. I expect you to be a sweet 16 team this year, and with the way Dan is recruiting the potential to go even deeper the next few seasons..

I would love to hear what you think about his first three years and if you're happy with where the program is right now?

without reading a long long thread of posts ... my fresh look:

We at UCONN judge on a Curve. No other place has a Calhoun. Maybe the older guys and hoop historians recognize this: Calhoun took this State University from a sick low hole to Championship competitive. I don't care what URI fans say ... they are gnatss. We judge our - OUR - program now against the Blue Bloods; and perhaps the IU and Kentucky and UCLA spectre hurts a program with so many NCs and Elite eights etc. We sometimes cannot recognize true progress in increments.

Hurley is doing a super job. Always starts with recruiting. The BE - for us in our first year - was a far more competitive test. That Creighton team YOU poohpooh'd was far better than you portray In Matchups sometimes they didn't play to top form; however, they proved to me to ultra competitive with 6 real solid players at this level. No shame in that loss.

As Hurley has focused: we did not play our best in either Creighton or Maryland. I cannot think of a Calhoun analogy. A competitive coach uses that. Our loss of Bouknight (a Bouknight - by the way - that was clearly diminished post- injury) excites us: there has got to be a integrated Team game to win. And that is what this year sets up: Hurley has the horses. A Sanoga - a SamsonJohnson - a developing Andre - a new role for Tyrese - stable advancing leadership in Cole + Gaffney + Polley + Whaley - and a Justin Hawkins that we don't know what is gonna come. I would rather be Hurley and UCONN today than 350 other programs. I think we are gonna compete with 20 to advance to Elite Eight - and that is a wonderful boost from the last of Ollie.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
without reading a long long thread of posts ... my fresh look:

We at UCONN judge on a Curve. No other place has a Calhoun. Maybe the older guys and hoop historians recognize this: Calhoun took this State University from a sick low hole to Championship competitive. I don't care what URI fans say ... they are gnatss We judge our - OUR - program now against the Blue Bloods; and perhaps the IU and Kentucky and UCLA spectre hurts a program with so many NCs and Elite eights etc. We sometimes cannot recognize true progress in increments.

Hurley is doing a super job. Always starts with recruiting. The BE - for us in our first year - was a far more competitive test. That Creighton team YOU poohpooh'd was far better than you portray In Matchups sometimes they didnt play to top form; however, they proved to me to ultra competitive with 6 real solid players at this level. No shame in that loss.

As Hurley has focused: we did not play our best in either Creighton or Maryland. I cannot think of a Calhoun analogy. A competitive coach uses that. Our loss of Bouknight (a Bouknight - by the way - that was clearly diminished post- injury) exciites us: there has got to be a integrated Team game to win. And that is what this year sets up: Hurley has the horses. A Sanoga - a SamsonJohnson - a developing Andre - a new role for Tyrese - stable advancing leadership in Cole + Gaffney + Polley + Whaley - and a Justin Hawkins that we don't know what is gonna come. I would rather be Hurley and UCONN today than 350 other programs. I think we are gonna compete with 20 to advance to Elite Eight - and that is a wonderful boost from the last of Ollie.

I would say the limping through the 2006 tourney.

Similar concept but obviously a much more loaded roster.

That team should’ve destroyed teams and shred through them like 2011-12 Kentucky

Reaction Score
PLEASE! Let's not turn this into another Ollie thread. This poster who is a URI fan is trolling. We all know the past history and where we have been and where we are now. Let's just blast him with all the positives of Hurley's first 3 years and let them/him be envious of UConn and coach Hurley.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The results aren't middling overall, he's turned around the program. From the staff he put together to building it the right way where there will be sustained success to his recruiting it might be even a little more than I expected and I wanted Hurley to be our coach since before we hired Ollie. With that being said you are in the minority if you didn't expect us to have a tournament win by the start of year 4.

He's done an amazing job loading the roster with talent, that has to translate to some sort of tournament success. He's said it and the fanbase expects it, now it's time to do it.
I expected to make the tournament by year 3 and be making a run by year 4, and I feel like we're in the perfect situation to do just that. Was I disappointed right after the Maryland game and felt we should have won, of course. But I would have signed up for that result before the season

And I just looked back, you and @8893 both set the expectation at making the tournament year 3 after he was hired in 2018. So I think we're all on the same page that we would have signed up for that at the onset, but it was disappointing after losing to Maryland

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
By all reasonable standards Hurley has exceeded expectations. Only a spoiled fanbase would think otherwise.

He is an outstanding coach and we are lucky to have him. Hopefully he retires at UCONN.

I think he's done a great job and I wouldn't want anyone else. With that said, exceeded expectations is too much.

I think we're right where we thought we'd be.

Reaction Score
I think he's done a great job and I wouldn't want anyone else. With that said, exceeded expectations is too much.

I think we're right where we t

It's the eye for talent, the ability to get them to commit to the school and player development that have stood out for me as beyond expectations. He's done a phenomenal job in those categories.

You have to grade on a curve as far as the win/loss record because his two best recruits have been injured the last two years. Obviously that matters a lot. You need a little luck to go on a tournament run and we have not been lucky the last two years.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's the eye for talent, the ability to get them to commit to the school and player development that have stood out for me as beyond expectations. He's done a phenomenal job in those categories.

You have to grade on a curve as far as the win/loss record because his two best recruits have been injured the last two years. Obviously that matters a lot. You need a little luck to go on a tournament run and we have not been lucky the last two years.

I guess I was thinking strictly within the context of on court results. The recruiting has exceeded my expectations that part is definitely true.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The discussion is about years 1-3 and that's the #1 factor for why those first 2 years were "disappointing".

The #1 factor for why those first 2 years were "disappointing" for some was because the two guys with the ball in their hands the most of the time were not team oriented. Since he inherited them and was trying to build a culture of inclusion, Hurley handled them with kid gloves when he could have just "my way or the highwayed" them. His approach worked. It might have cost him a few wins along the way, but the old guys ended up buying in and the team was firing on all cylinders at the end when COVID struck. How was that season disappointing?

Last year, everyone was cautiously optimistic about making the dance. And we made the dance in his 3rd year, how was that disappointing? Even without factoring in the key injuries. Hurley's been great. It took JC four years to make the dance at UConn and another 9 to make a FF. DH is ahead of schedule.

Reaction Score

I think it's fair to say Hurley's "macro" results have been excellent (turning around culture, big recruiting successes, etc.), while his "micro" results have been OK.

We should have won more games last year -- 0-for-Creighton, the St. John's loss, Maryland were pretty bad -- and the nuances of playing time management and offensive schemes haven't been stellar at times.

But he also seems to be learning from it, based on the type of player he's bringing in. And he's having no trouble bringing in the guys he really wants.

Reaction Score
What is Hurley's record without Bouk? I don't know what it is, but I don't see the point. I value both of their contributions.

My point wasn't to shortchange Bazz, Hurley, Calhoun or anyone else. I just hate to see the Ollie Derangement Syndrome blind people to the job he did those first two seasons. Do you think managing Bazz was easy? How about the Bazz and Boat dynamic? The suspension season? Of course he had help, but he wasn't beating a path to buck-a-shuck night then like many here suggest.

Hurley's accomplishments should stand or fall on their own. Those who can't measure them without reference to Ollie pee on their shoes while trying to make their point imo.

You have to view the big picture when looking at this. Ollie won a National Championship in his second season as Head Coach. He did so with a very stacked veteran team AND 3 very experienced Assistant Coaches in Blaney, Hobbs, and Miller. He also had Calhoun in his camp as an advisor or consultant. Ollie did a great job in those two seasons.

As time passed, those Assistants left or were fired and Calhoun was no longer part of the staff so to speak. Once "Calhoun's guys" (for lack of a better term) had cycled through the program, the results began to fall off. After two pretty mediocre seasons, the program suffered 2 losing seasons in a row capped off by the 2018-18 season where UConn lost a school record eight games by 20 or more points. The roster was full of guys with huge holes in their games, some chronic injuries, and in some seasons unfilled scholarships. When Ollie was let go, the program was in a pretty sad state.

So yes, Ollie did a great job those first two seasons. Unfortunately, the broad responsibilities of a Head Coach include talent evaluation, recruiting, roster management, player development, etc. Ollie clearly was not up to the task in several of those areas and the results in 2016-17 and 2017-18 strongly demonstrated that.

Moving on to the Hurley era... I think any reasonable fan gives Hurley a pass in year one as he was in the process of building a new foundation. Years 2 and 3 were both heavily impacted by Covid, and Bouk's injury and the choppy schedule both likely contributed to a bit less success than many of us would have liked to see. But there's no denying that the culture of the program, level of talent, and enthusiasm regarding the program are vastly higher than when Hurley took over.

So yes, Ollie gets credit for leading the team to a National Championship. However, the decline of the program after that is also largely on Ollie as discussed above.

I guess that's a long winded way of saying that I am very happy with the state of the program today given what Hurley stepped into when he took over.

Reaction Score
To have any coach come into UConn and not win a national championship would be seen as a failure with our success over the past 20 years. We've been blessed with the fortune of 4 national championships.

That run that Calhoun/UConn went on with 4 championships in 20 years is absolutely unbelievable. Extremely rare and unlikely to be replicated. Simple as that. In addition to being talented and well-coached teams, there is a tremendous amount of luck that goes into any National Championship run.

How many games were down to the wire in 2011? 2014? One shot here, one shot there and we could be look at 2 or 3 championships.

What is reasonable to ask of Hurley is to continue to get better everyday as a coach and as a leader as his team progresses. Focusing on the process > the product.

Reaction Score
I love the recruiting classes, and that is a great sign for us to get to where we want to be. I'm happy about them, but that's not indicative or predictive of on court success. It absolutely gives you better odds of getting there, but at the end of of the day you still have to win games. We haven't done that yet. Even last season, we had no real good wins. The people above us in league ate our lunch. Creighton 3 times Nova once. You have to start beating teams at the top to be the top. Our best win? Would have to be USC at Mohegan, I guess. A good win no doubt, what was our second best? It's good that we are beating who we are supposed to now (mostly) , let's take it further.

I just don't like to hang our hat or brag about recruiting success until that success yields on court results. It sounds like something a Cuse fan would say. ;)
Aren't better odds predictive of positive outcomes...

Reaction Score
Analyzing Hurly (or any coach) is a fools game. For the love of god; the landscape of college basketball is a devastated wasteland. No one, not even the mighty Duke will be able to predict what their next season, let alone the next few seasons will look like, Transfer portals, guys leaving for the NBA, NIL, it will make the Pitino & Calmari "one & done" years look like a cakewalk.

Take every season like you've just awoken from a coma and watch every game on the edge of your seat. You might actually like it.

Reaction Score
You have to view the big picture when looking at this. Ollie won a National Championship in his second season as Head Coach. He did so with a very stacked veteran team AND 3 very experienced Assistant Coaches in Blaney, Hobbs, and Miller. He also had Calhoun in his camp as an advisor or consultant. Ollie did a great job in those two seasons.

As time passed, those Assistants left or were fired and Calhoun was no longer part of the staff so to speak. Once "Calhoun's guys" (for lack of a better term) had cycled through the program, the results began to fall off. After two pretty mediocre seasons, the program suffered 2 losing seasons in a row capped off by the 2018-18 season where UConn lost a school record eight games by 20 or more points. The roster was full of guys with huge holes in their games, some chronic injuries, and in some seasons unfilled scholarships. When Ollie was let go, the program was in a pretty sad state.

So yes, Ollie did a great job those first two seasons. Unfortunately, the broad responsibilities of a Head Coach include talent evaluation, recruiting, roster management, player development, etc. Ollie clearly was not up to the task in several of those areas and the results in 2016-17 and 2017-18 strongly demonstrated that.

Moving on to the Hurley era... I think any reasonable fan gives Hurley a pass in year one as he was in the process of building a new foundation. Years 2 and 3 were both heavily impacted by Covid, and Bouk's injury and the choppy schedule both likely contributed to a bit less success than many of us would have liked to see. But there's no denying that the culture of the program, level of talent, and enthusiasm regarding the program are vastly higher than when Hurley took over.

So yes, Ollie gets credit for leading the team to a National Championship. However, the decline of the program after that is also largely on Ollie as discussed above.

I guess that's a long winded way of saying that I am very happy with the state of the program today given what Hurley stepped into when he took over.
Damn! I had to read all that just to get to your last paragraph on how you really felt about Hurley. ;)

Reaction Score
In fairness to Ollie though I just want to say that he did have marital issues during our darker days in hoops at UConn and that in it self can drag anyone down. Some people can handle it and some can not. Not sure if this was part of his issues in coaching in his last few years but he definitely did seem like he was not enjoying his job at that point in time.

Reaction Score
Analyzing Hurly (or any coach) is a fools game. For the love of god; the landscape of college basketball is a devastated wasteland. No one, not even the mighty Duke will be able to predict what their next season, let alone the next few seasons will look like, Transfer portals, guys leaving for the NBA, NIL, it will make the Pitino & Calmari "one & done" years look like a cakewalk.

Take every season like you've just awoken from a coma and watch every game on the edge of your seat. You might actually like it.
I like it now and I didn't have to go in a coma to like it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

With 5:07 remaining in the Big East semi-final game, something like RJ's ill-advised circus shot in a clogged lane needed to have been excised from the play book and replaced with a pass out to someone open on the outside for a good shot...but the team didn't get to play enough games with Bouknight back in the lineup to take care of this essential remaining hurdle. That spelled the season's outcome.

Instead, RJ suffered an injury, and things did not come together in a way that many of us thought & hoped would happen. It resulted in a lowered seed and a poorly played game against Maryland, which became a disappointing end to the season.

Injuries & COVID-19.

We were one of many teams whose final disposition could be summed up that way.

I enter this season without the impatience some have signaled. I do not want, and do not think it's inevitable that the team won't get to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tournament, but I have room for expectations akin to an historical 3rd year. Doing so aligns with seeing a 'lost year' in many dimensions of my life and that of others, and ascribing that to the close of the 2019-20 season and last year in its entirety.

Others have pointed out obvious successes and areas for improvement within the program. I've done so elsewhere. I regard DH's 3rd season as superior to that of his predecessor, and I believe that this year's season performance will exceed that of his predecessor's 4th season, which could still result in an NCAA Round 2 exit, but from a higher seed, rather than having come from winning an 8/9 matchup.

My larger expectation is that the program will continue to ascend in the following season, where the previous season 5 did not do that, and I anticipate seeing a continued positive trajectory that will include many challenges that come with such growth and stature.

Because thid thread was begun by a URI partisan, I'll submit that Dan Hurley has been game-coaching against better coaches, having his teams face more skilled players, competing against more elite programs in his recruiting battles, needing to learn how to utilize a caliber (and even size) of players that were previously beyond his reach, and navigating a number of new realities that govern roster construction.

The worldwide pandemic has been a wild card above and beyond all of that, though it is fully applicable to all coaches and programs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With 5:07 remaining in the Big East semi-final game, something like RJ's ill-advised circus shot in a clogged lane needed to have been excised from the play book and replaced with a pass out to someone open on the outside for a good shot...but the team didn't get to play enough games with Bouknight back in the lineup to take care of this essential remaining hurdle. That spelled the season's outcome.

Instead, RJ suffered an injury, and things did not come together in a way that many of us thought & hoped would happen. It resulted in a lowered seed and a poorly played game against Maryland, which became a disappointing end to the season.

Injuries & COVID-19.

We were one of many teams whose final disposition could be summed up that way.

I enter this season without the impatience some have signaled. I do not want, and do not think it's inevitable that the team won't get to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tournament, but I have room for expectations akin to an historical 3rd year. Doing so aligns with seeing a 'lost year' in many dimensions of my life and that of others, and ascribing that to the close of the 2019-20 season and last year in its entirety.

Others have pointed out obvious successes and areas for improvement within the program. I've done so elsewhere. I regard DH's 3rd season as superior to that of his predecessor, and I believe that this year's season performance will exceed that of his predecessor's 4th season, which could still result in an NCAA Round 2 exit, but from a higher seed, rather than having come from winning an 8/9 matchup.

My larger expectation is that the program will continue to ascend in the following season, where the previous season 5 did not do that, and I anticipate seeing a continued positive trajectory that will include many challenges that come with such growth and stature.

Because thid thread was begun by a URI partisan, I'll submit that Dan Hurley has been game-coaching against better coaches, having his teams face more skilled players, competing against more elite programs in his recruiting battles, needing to learn how to utilize a caliber (and even size) of players that were previously beyond his reach, and navigating a number of new realities that govern roster construction.

The worldwide pandemic has been a wild card above and beyond all of that, though it is fully applicable to all coaches and programs.
What can I say but well done @Hans Sprungfeld. What resonates with me is this "Doing so aligns with seeing a 'lost year' in many dimensions of my life and that of others,"
Nothing is more true in Hurley's 1st year as coach. We were more competitive that year than the preceding year with basically the same players as the previous coach and no one headed for greener pastures when he became coach. Let's just hope that the pandemic does not sabotage another year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What can I say but well done @Hans Sprungfeld. What resonates with me is this "Doing so aligns with seeing a 'lost year' in many dimensions of my life and that of others,"
Nothing is more true in Hurley's 1st year as coach. We were more competitive that year than the preceding year with basically the same players as the previous coach and no one headed for greener pastures when he became coach. Let's just hope that the pandemic does not sabotage another year.
Your final sentence cannot be ruled out, which is one of those, "I don't want to say this but..." situations

Reaction Score
Perhaps the greatest accolade DH has received, and potentially the most impactful for recruiting and future game results, is JB's recognition and appreciation for how DH (and KY and TM) helped him mature and taught him life lessons as well as how to be a better player.

If you're a recruit and you heard what James Bouknight said about DH when he was interviewed after his second Summer League game, where would you sign?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom