Hurley vs. Memphis Crowd? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley vs. Memphis Crowd?

Reaction Score
I don’t know the facts but I would think something was said that was inappropriate or offensive to one of his players. More so than just razzing. If that’s the case then I applaud him for taking their back in this matter. The last think he needs is one of his players to get involved with a fan or fans. Like in real life away from the court a good boss backs up his workers and team members. You show them how much you need them then they will take notice and work hard for you. I think it’s just another way Hurley is molding the team and changing the culture.
It all looked pretty harmless as it was.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hurley is 6'2, Cronin is a 5'3 leprechaun who dresses like a low rent pimp from Dayton.
That’s my point. He seems to make himself smaller with the way he comports himself. I like his passion and his approach and I understand fully that you have to take the bad with the good. He just needs to pick his spots a little better imo.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That’s my point. He seems to make himself smaller with the way he comports himself. I like his passion and his approach and I understand fully that you have to take the bad with the good. He just needs to pick his spots a little better imo.

I’m enjoying the narrative that he must be defending a player when almost certainly fans were killing him.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Bunch of marshmallows in this thread.

Hurley at times has acted like a child this season. He should drop the tough guy act when it comes to opposing fans, players and coaches. Time and a place for everything, but it's a becoming pattern.

You really want our head coach to be able to be 'triggered' by some nimwit in the stands?

Seriously. Apparently no one ever sat within earshot of Calhoun.

Odd. I don't recall many instances of Calhoun leaving the sidelines and going across the court and arguing with some fat slobs in the stands during a timeout.

Reaction Score
Hurley can do whatever he wants if he wins games. He's not so this behavior looks ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Hurley at times has acted like a child this season. He should drop the tough guy act when it comes to opposing fans, players and coaches. Time and a place for everything, but it's a becoming pattern.

You really want our head coach to be able to be 'triggered' by some nimwit in the stands?

Odd. I don't recall many instances of Calhoun leaving the sidelines and going across the court and arguing with some fat slobs in the stands during a timeout.
A lot of people had a problem with Calhoum coming out on the court and yanking players around by the jersey and screaming at them, a lot of people had a problem with Ollie not doing anything and looking like he would cry, you seem to have a major problem with how Hurley comports himself. As long as the team wins I could care less about any of it, most people tend to hate on winning coaches.

Reaction Score
Love hurley. Hurley’s been in tons of opposing gyms his whole life. This guy must ve been saying some extra things beyond the usual. Hurley letting a dumb fan have it. Players notice that and like it. Give us till middle of next year and we re really going to start make noise

Reaction Score

He's an emotional guy. I love it. Much preferred in comparison to Ollie's Eeyore act the past few seasons. So no, I'm not going to clutch my pearls because Hurley gets into it with a fan.

Reaction Score
He definitely rubs opposing fan bases the wrong way because of how energetic and animated he is on the sidelines. I was @ UCF and it was very similar. I sat directly across from our bench and the crowd taunts him constantly for his coaching style and interactions with the officials. I will say that he does stand up for his players and team, almost to a fault, which is something I can appreciate. He definitely had moments @ UCF when he would stare into the crowd at opposing fans heckling him. Almost welcoming it, haha. It’s gonna get that much worse when we really start winning. Hopefully in the years to come, with more of his own recruits, the team takes on that same mentality and we play with a chip on our shoulder.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He's an emotional guy. I love it. Much preferred in comparison to Ollie's Eeyore act the past few seasons. So no, I'm not going to clutch my pearls because Hurley gets into it with a fan.

There's a major difference between being a high energy and emotional guy on the sidelines and letting nobodies in the crowd affect you so much that you feel the need to address them during the game.

Reaction Score
Was I drunk or did I see a post where Bill Walton ate a cupcake with a lit candle?
I saw it on live TV. Lit candle and didn't even blink ... just kept free form talking. Looked as if he does it all the time or maybe swallowed the roach more than once.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
tempest---teapot. this guy is more like JC than I imagined

Reaction Score
We have no idea as to why Hurley went across the court to address the fan, but I’m going to assume it was because something was said or done to one of our players. If that’s the case, Hurley has every right to stand up for himself and his team. Obviously, if it was over nothing, then yes, Hurley needs to check himself before getting confrontational.

I just think a grown man who’s been a D1 coach for three different programs and has experience coaching elite HS ranks would know when to respond and when not too. The fact that he went across the court makes me believe it was probably warranted in someway.

I like the emotion, toughness and grit Hurley brings. A lot of people don’t respond well to that type of personality, which is why I think people say he needs to tone it down. If he has a reason for confronting fans (such as defending his players) I’m all for it. Sometimes people in this world think they can get away with anything, and someone needs to step to those people once in a while.

Reaction Score
@Kathy I think you are letting your affinity for Kevin Ollie affect your stance on his replacement. You should treat Coach Hurley more fairly in the future.
Has nothing to do with Ollie - get over it and move on. Hurley needs to tone down his interactions with opposing fans and players. When he walks to the opposite side of the court during a timeout to interact with a fan he is going too far. If fans are bothering him or his players use the officials /security. JC was fiery and I loved every minute - don't recall him having this many issues with fans.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with Ollie - get over it and move on. Hurley needs to tone down his interactions with opposing fans and players. When he walks to the opposite side of the court during a timeout to interact with a fan he is going too far. If fans are bothering him or his players use the officials /security. JC was fiery and I loved every minute - don't recall him having this many issues with fans.

I still maintain that you are holding him to a standard that is too high, because you wish he weren’t here in the first place.

Reaction Score
UConn has done well with coaches that can be balloon knots at times. It isn't always right or productive but it seems to work, long term. I prefer that to nice guys that lose but have recognition events for super fans.

Reaction Score
Gawd....play in front of the Cameron Crazies !

Coach could spend all night jawing with them...

When Bobby Sura was playing on their court, they chanted.."You Sura ugly".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom