Hurley vs. Memphis Crowd? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley vs. Memphis Crowd?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I still maintain that you are holding him to a standard that is too high, because you wish he weren’t here in the first place.

buddy - he acts like a complete tool. seemed like he had scaled it back for a few games after the idiocy that got him tossed but it didnt last long.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We have no idea as to why Hurley went across the court to address the fan, but I’m going to assume it was because something was said or done to one of our players. If that’s the case, Hurley has every right to stand up for himself and his team. Obviously, if it was over nothing, then yes, Hurley needs to check himself before getting confrontational.
From the news reports, the fans were yelling at him to sit down; I haven't seen anything to suggest that they said or did anything to one of our players.

Reaction Score
I still maintain that you are holding him to a standard that is too high, because you wish he weren’t here in the first place.
Wrong - I maintain that you who are avid Hurley supporters interpret any criticism of him a meaning we don't support him or the program. I loved JC but there were times when I questioned the way he went after his players - sometimes over the top. Hurley also goes over the top Sometimes we talk about refs with rabbit ears- why is he even paying attention to what fans on the other side of the court are saying.

Reaction Score
The Memphis writer for The Athletic was amused and has an article on Hurley's performance from the game yesterday. He kept a running log of comments/actions and described the fan incident as follows:

"3:43 — Davenport is fouled on a drive, initiating the under-four media timeout. Hurley is incensed at the call. “No, no, no, no,” he says, as he walks to the opposite side of the court. A Memphis fan stands and engages Hurley; Hurley suggests to the fan that he sit back down."

So I think it was just that Hurley was mad about a call and stormed out toward the other side of the court, a Memphis fan stood up and yelled at him, and Hurley told him to sit his arse back down.

Reaction Score
The press seem to think that Hurley's antics were a good thing.....for rivalry building.

A good villain has a lot of value.

The press thought that if both programs get back to where they want to be...a little added gasoline will fan the flames into a full blown rivalry...and Hurley is flammable.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The press seem to think that Hurley's antics were a good thing.....for rivalry building.

A good villain has a lot of value.

The press thought that if both programs get back to where they want to be...a little added gasoline will fan the flames into a full blown rivalry...and Hurley is flammable.

you mean one twitter account that makes up coaching change rumors in between accusing head coaches of being racist towards assistants?

sure. the press.

Reaction Score
you mean one twitter account that makes up coaching change rumors in between accusing head coaches of being racist towards assistants?

sure. the press.

If Memphis and UConn are finally ready to be rivals, Dan Hurley makes the perfect villain

If Memphis and UConn are finally ready to be rivals, Dan Hurley makes the perfect villain

It didn't take long for the fiery personality of Danny Hurley to emerge, and a rivalry renewed at FedExForum Sunday afternoon. Luckily Memphis held on after taking a 14-point lead with 4:04 remaining. Final: Memphis 78 UCONN 71

Memphis' New Nemesis Emerged: Danny Hurley and UCONN Fall at FedExForum Sunday

Reaction Score

sure. the press.
Your buddy is gone. The new coach is better. Move on. If that means rooting for KO's new team, if he ever gets a new team, so be it.

P.S. You and Bilas can cry over a beer together when your buddy gets squadoosh from UConn.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It didn't take long for the fiery personality of Danny Hurley to emerge, and a rivalry renewed at FedExForum Sunday afternoon. Luckily Memphis held on after taking a 14-point lead with 4:04 remaining. Final: Memphis 78 UCONN 71

Memphis' New Nemesis Emerged: Danny Hurley and UCONN Fall at FedExForum Sunday

oh memphis state trying to latch onto a rivalry.

thanks for the reminder

Reaction Score
Hurley seems to be reaching fot rivalry as well...

"And Hurley sees the teams eventually having a nice rivalry. “I said to Penny in the handshake that I expect with what we’ve got coming in and what we’re going to build, with what he’s going to build. I don’t expect to come into these matchups with a 13-10 record very often in the future.”

Curiouser
Reaction Score
buddy - he acts like a complete tool. seemed like he had scaled it back for a few games after the idiocy that got him tossed but it didnt last long.
This was my point with the Cronin comparison; i.e., he becomes more caricature than character when he lets it boil over like that. Of course it makes for great theater and opposing fans love casting him as the villain, just like we love to do with Cronin. And if you're winning, it becomes more endearing and less jerky.

Reaction Score
Okay I love his fire. I love the fact his kids don't quit and even without our 2 best players there will be no 35 point disasters with him manning the sidelines. He's showing some nice defensive plans in games as of late on WSU and ECU's scorers. But there's hardly a play that he doesn't have a beef with the stripes in some way, it's a bit embarrassing. If his team doesn't score and he's calling out the defense while clapping to get them pumped for defense he spends an awkward amount of time worrying about calls he can't change. I agree KO did less than he should have but I don't condone more than you should either. There may be a reason we get less calls than we should during a game, and he may be part of it.

Not at all a post to say he's not our guy he is. Just need to coach more and worry about them getting better especially during a point in the season where the main thing is the growth of Wilson, BAdams, Polley, Carlton and in this situation even CV who needed to take better care of the ball. Not worried about the awful refereeing, and he's right it's putrid. JC picked his moments but he also didn't miss a chance to let a player know what he did wrong. Need more of that, but all in all this team lives off of him and that's a god thing because his passion is amazing.

Reaction Score
While its fine our Coach is fiesty and who knows what happened on the sideline, but if there is a fan beef I would like to see Dan sick one of his assistants on the offending fan. I don't ever want fans to know they can push our Head Coach's button. Like I said the vids show nothing really happening, but still Coach send your assistant into battle, reserve any fan wrath for when its truly necessary. But then again our assistants aren't much bigger than Hurley.

Just saying Coach 'please' don't let fans distract you, especially ones on the other side of the floor.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Your buddy is gone. The new coach is better. Move on. If that means rooting for KO's new team, if he ever gets a new team, so be it.

P.S. You and Bilas can cry over a beer together when you buddy gets squadoosh from UConn.

lol my buddy. i wanted ollie gone long before you jokers.

i just find cheering on a rat to be embarrassing for yall.

none of which has anything to do with hurley acting like a clown on the sidelines.

plenty of coaches have passion without making fools of themselves

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Free Hurley!' 'LHBH! (let hurley be hurley!)' 'All we are saying, is give Dan a chance!'
…. all together now, Free Hurley! (u comin to the quad for the rally? muffy and raheem will be giving out headbands--leave ur shirt untucked, fight the power!)

Reaction Score
Need more of that, but all in all this team lives off of him and that's a god thing because his passion is amazing.

The thing about Hurley is, he has a plan, and he tells you what the plan is. He's stated numerous times that in the early phase of his rebuilds he acts like a maniac for the purpose of instilling a will and a fire into groups of players that had none.

He's also stated that the Dan Hurley on the sidelines in years 3, 4 and 5 is a lot different from the Dan Hurley in year 1. While I'm sure year 5 Dan Hurley is still a quasi-maniac, I have to believe that some of the antics this year are very intentional. It's like he's trying to drag the team to a new level of toughness, passion and intensity by being completely over the top himself. When you're trying to teach a team not to play soft and scared on the road, there is some logic behind ostentatiously acting like you'd fight everyone in the arena if you had to. A junkyard dog doesn't turn it on and off.

People can debate the merits of the strategy, but I think it's clear what he's doing.

I also think it's working to some degree. One of the unremarked moments from yesterday's game was the passion Carlton showed when he picked up his 4th foul. Never seen anything remotely close to that emotion from him. He had a tough whistle and I'm sure he was frustrated with the refs, but mostly I think he was frustrated with himself and that he wasn't having the kind of game he thought he should. He expected more from himself. That's because of Hurley. That's what he's building.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Okay I love his fire. I love the fact his kids don't quit and even without our 2 best players there will be no 35 point disasters with him manning the sidelines. He's showing some nice defensive plans in games as of late on WSU and ECU's scorers. But there's hardly a play that he doesn't have a beef with the stripes in some way, it's a bit embarrassing. If his team doesn't score and he's calling out the defense while clapping to get them pumped for defense he spends an awkward amount of time worrying about calls he can't change. I agree KO did less than he should have but I don't condone more than you should either. There may be a reason we get less calls than we should during a game, and he may be part of it.

Not at all a post to say he's not our guy he is. Just need to coach more and worry about them getting better especially during a point in the season where the main thing is the growth of Wilson, BAdams, Polley, Carlton and in this situation even CV who needed to take better care of the ball. Not worried about the awful refereeing, and he's right it's putrid. JC picked his moments but he also didn't miss a chance to let a player know what he did wrong. Need more of that, but all in all this team lives off of him and that's a god thing because his passion is amazing.

He's not wrong. The refs really are pretty awful. They swing back and forth between calling nonsense ticky tack contact and letting egregious fouls go. Yesterday there was a rather violent foul where Vital was shoved to the floor (no flop). They did call that, on Vital. Some of that awfulness goes in our favor too.

Is it deciding games? Sometimes. The OT loss to Cinci was a gift to them from the refs. Other games it's more about players adapting to a crew that calls everything, or nothing or everything on the perimeter and nothing inside, or vice versa. We've seen all four of those this year. Maybe 20% of our games were well officiated. That's being kind.

I have to imagine that the wild inconsistency, sometimes even within a single game, makes it hard for him to teach these young players how to play under the shifting rules.

Reaction Score
The Memphis writer for The Athletic was amused and has an article on Hurley's performance from the game yesterday. He kept a running log of comments/actions and described the fan incident as follows:

"3:43 — Davenport is fouled on a drive, initiating the under-four media timeout. Hurley is incensed at the call. “No, no, no, no,” he says, as he walks to the opposite side of the court. A Memphis fan stands and engages Hurley; Hurley suggests to the fan that he sit back down."

So I think it was just that Hurley was mad about a call and stormed out toward the other side of the court, a Memphis fan stood up and yelled at him, and Hurley told him to sit his arse back down.

So, it's basically meaningless. Coach yelling at ref, hollers at a fan, goes back to his bench.

What's to see here again?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He's not wrong. The refs really are pretty awful. They swing back and forth between calling nonsense ticky tack contact and letting egregious fouls go. Yesterday there was a rather violent foul where Vital was shoved to the floor (no flop). They did call that, on Vital. Some of that awfulness goes in our favor too.

Is it deciding games? Sometimes. The OT loss to Cinci was a gift to them from the refs. Other games it's more about players adapting to a crew that calls everything, or nothing or everything on the perimeter and nothing inside, or vice versa. We've seen all four of those this year. Maybe 20% of our games were well officiated. That's being kind.

I have to imagine that the wild inconsistency, sometimes even within a single game, makes it hard for him to teach these young players how to play under the shifting rules.
The inconsistency is what I can not tolerate. At times, they call every handcheck, every moving screen, every over the back, every 2.5 steps is a travel. At other times, players get away with murder.

The one consistent thing is it always seems to favor teams and players who have a reputation as “physical players.” Cincy clobbering people every time down the court is fine because “Cincy plays physical.” Tyler Polley can’t breathe in the direction of an opponent because he’s not “physical.”

Reaction Score

I was about to post the same thing...with the refs we have put up with this year, it's downright awful to be a coach. BUT I believe (if only because it's what I do) - Hurley gets into it with the refs so his players don't. My biggest challenge to instilling a winning culture is getting players to understand they cannot do anything productive while complaining to the refs. Leave that to me, you just play and play hard. You hardly see any player talk to the refs about bad calls, the most you have seen was Carlton's "little" frustration move yesterday, but he controlled it. If this is indeed the case, I have no issue with Coach getting feisty at the refs.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a very good coach. He is also human, which means he will have some imperfections. If he is fiery and that becomes part of the culture of the program, I am all for it. While Hurley is coaching for the long term good of the program, I am sure there us some current frustration with the results/record of the team.

I fully expect the results to be much better in the coming seasons. That alone should work to diminish the instances that some here are being critical of. The man loves basketball and is passionate about his profession. I can think of lots of worse things.

Reaction Score
The thing about Hurley is, he has a plan, and he tells you what the plan is. He's stated numerous times that in the early phase of his rebuilds he acts like a maniac for the purpose of instilling a will and a fire into groups of players that had none.

He's also stated that the Dan Hurley on the sidelines in years 3, 4 and 5 is a lot different from the Dan Hurley in year 1. While I'm sure year 5 Dan Hurley is still a quasi-maniac, I have to believe that some of the antics this year are very intentional. It's like he's trying to drag the team to a new level of toughness, passion and intensity by being completely over the top himself. When you're trying to teach a team not to play soft and scared on the road, there is some logic behind ostentatiously acting like you'd fight everyone in the arena if you had to. A junkyard dog doesn't turn it on and off.

People can debate the merits of the strategy, but I think it's clear what he's doing.

I also think it's working to some degree. One of the unremarked moments from yesterday's game was the passion Carlton showed when he picked up his 4th foul. Never seen anything remotely close to that emotion from him. He had a tough whistle and I'm sure he was frustrated with the refs, but mostly I think he was frustrated with himself and that he wasn't having the kind of game he thought he should. He expected more from himself. That's because of Hurley. That's what he's building.
Bingo. Is there a method to his madness when Whaler has these little hissy fits?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom