Hurley suggests the season shouldn't start on time. Clearly, he should retire! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley suggests the season shouldn't start on time. Clearly, he should retire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
88279FBD-60F0-4E7A-A432-EF13A022DEED.jpeg

Reaction Score

U Washington frats Covid outbreak
How about these idiots in Alabama? Seriously?

Students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 have been attending parties in the city and surrounding area as part of a disturbing contest to see who can catch the virus first, a city council member told ABC News on Wednesday.

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students have been organizing "COVID parties" as a game to intentionally infect each other with the contagion that has killed more than 127,000 people in the United States. She said she recently learned of the behavior and informed the city council of the parties occurring in the city.

She said the organizers of the parties are purposely inviting guests who have COVID-19.

"They put money in a pot and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense," McKinstry said. "They're intentionally doing it."

Reaction Score

Students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 have been attending parties in the city and surrounding area as part of a disturbing contest to see who can catch the virus first, a city council member told ABC News on Wednesday.

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students have been organizing "COVID parties" as a game to intentionally infect each other with the contagion that has killed more than 127,000 people in the United States. She said she recently learned of the behavior and informed the city council of the parties occurring in the city.

She said the organizers of the parties are purposely inviting guests who have COVID-19.

"They put money in a pot and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense," McKinstry said. "They're intentionally doing it."

Alabama gonna Alabama.

Reaction Score
SJ you are correct about the outdoor spread. There was a good study out of Korea contact tracing some 1700 cases and I think the numbers showed only 1 or 2 were from outdoor contact. Early on Florida was embarrassed nationally by wide open beaches. Well ultimately those beach crowds weren't the problem. We were doing fine in April and May then opened the bars and restaurants without any mandate to wear masks.
Seems to me indoor is the issue.

Reaction Score
I can't say any of this at all is surprising. That universities and businesses don't operate with the expectation that this will happen is a big ruse. This is why adults need to adult.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Holy duck***

Reaction Score

trouble crossing the border?

From the article in the Register, seems to an issue with online classes:

The Toronto product needs to be registered in a course that is not completely online before obtaining his I-20 form to get to America. That means finding a course and a professor at UConn that would fit that need. Brown-Fergson would only need to have one in-person session with the professor, and the rest could be done online.

Reaction Score
No you got the timing wrong. It was never the beaches in Florida, its the bars. The spike is timed perfectly 2 to 3 weeks after bars were opened up. Due to the Saharan dust we've been very hot down here for the last few weeks so everyone has been staying indoors to cool off. They drink, drank drunk themselves silly. Early in the rise in cases DeSantis tried to pawn it off on increased testing. He also tried to say it was because of a spike in cases in migrant workers who live together in tight quarters. When someone pointed out to him the the migrant workers left the state in May he backed off on that but continued to say it was due to increased testing. The data however doesn't lie, liars lie. The median age dropped from 65 to 35 from April to now, coinciding with the average age of the bar crowd. The percent positive went from a nice 2 to 4 % to almost 18%. I do think we will see a spike in cases due to the BLM protests, how big remains to be seen. It will likely blend in the the increase in cases we are already seeing. My concern now is lagging indicators. Hospitalizations are starting to rise, and DeSantis somehow has taken this indicator off the State's dashboard (like I said liars lie!) and fired the dashboard's creator. So far we have been told we have enough hospital beds, but some states like Arizona and Texas are struggling. The next lagging indicator is ICU utilization followed by deaths. With our significant seniors population I fully expect to eventually see a rise in these as well, maybe by the end of July.
Still can’t wrap my head around the people who Still refuse to wear masks. Why? It’s not thier right to infect other people. I could see if it was like the seatbelt law where it only affects the person wearing it - but when you’re not wearing a mask you can give something to me and I could pass it on to my newborn or my parents. - people really that insane about this mask wearing ? Dummies.

Reaction Score

The Toronto product needs to be registered in a course that is not completely online before obtaining his I-20 form to get to America. That means finding a course and a professor at UConn that would fit that need. Brown-Fergson would only need to have one in-person session with the professor, and the rest could be done online.

This should be easy in the fall, harder over the summer, if that's what's required

Reaction Score
This should be easy in the fall, harder over the summer, if that's what's required
I didn't think of that needing to happen for the summer but it's probably true. Could be why they gave the August 1 date once summer sessions end

Reaction Score
I originally thought there would be a major spike from the protests but I no longer think so. I went to a bunch of protests in Chicago, there were thousands of people and I never saw anyone without a mask on except for the cops. My friend in LA said the same thing in his city. All the mask wearing and everything being outside should leave us in an okay spot. I haven't even seen any evidence there's any significant transmission outside. These protests were about a month ago, we should be seeing a major spike by now if it was going to happen and we haven't even with the increased testing and phase 4 starting a week ago. I do think we'll probably see a little spike with phase 4 but it will be manageable. It's as clear as day that masks are everything.

Let's put this protest issue to bed. ~1.5% of protesters tested in Massachusetts were positive. Anecdotally, the vast majority wore masks.

Mask wearing is a ticket to the possibility of fans in the stands at sporting events at some point this coming year.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Just saw Dr. Gottlieb said this virus will only pass with either a vaccine or built up immunity...I don’t think either is happening by November.
The rest of the world who got the virus outbreak a couple weeks before us have been able to largely crush it.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think that with the roster we have right now, the practices are more meaningful than the Nov games and most of the Dec games. The depth of this team means both squads are better than the teams we'd be playing through a lot of that schedule. Keep people safe, and if we can have a 20 game Big East season, I'll totally take it.
Good points here to offset the loss of live games and most importantly safer.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
You have morons who couldn't pull off a 3 month sacrifice, meanwhile all of Europe is doing just fine.
All the people who want the economy open while at the same time proudly saying they'll never wear a mask.
Yep that’s it, I could’ve explained that better, I was trying not to make this thread Cesspoolish.
If we did a better job protecting the elderly.....alas.
The behavior shown by so many Floridians is bizarre to say the least. A political divide over mask wearing? Really. The problem now is too many states let the genie out of the bottle and cannot now stuff him back in. I am personally very concerned about vaccine availability. There has been and will be plenty of time for the virus to mutate (some say it already has) between initiating trials and vaccine approval. FDA is expecting 50% coverage which is a tough target. I was happy when I saw 60% with the flu vaccine and in 2019 it mutated a month or so after the vaccine was released and coverage went to less than 10%. I think the priority should be getting the students in some form of classroom/online situation with strict guidelines starting as soon as possible and see how it works. Universities need to go year round to accommodate reduced class sizes, online learning dorm occupancy restrictions etc. If it works then maybe bring sports back in January. But what do I know - we are trying to figure out how we see our kids and grandkids
You can't get a weekend in in Florida, you need to quarantine for 2 weeks. We are headed to upstate NY to stay with our daughter. Once we get there we are quarantining for 2 weeks per NY requirements.

LOL - “A basketball thread - numnuts” @Samoo

Reaction Score
The rest of the world who got the virus outbreak a couple weeks before us have been able to largely crush it.

To be fair, the US is testing at 2x per capita of Europe. That's not an excuse for our outbreak, just a simple fact. I think our extremely high number of deaths compared to the rest of the world is a blatant combination of refusal to wear masks and states requiring nursing homes to take covid patients. Lots of people are making fun of FL and TX due to their explosion of new cases but NY still has over 10x the deaths per 1mil as them. If everyone wore a mask and the vulnerable remain isolated, this would be over before we knew it. Unfortunately not everyone is willing to cooperate.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
To be fair, the US is testing at 2x per capita of Europe. That's not an excuse for our outbreak, just a simple fact. I think our extremely high number of deaths compared to the rest of the world is a blatant combination of refusal to wear masks and states requiring nursing homes to take covid patients. Lots of people are making fun of FL and TX due to their explosion of new cases but NY still has over 10x the deaths per 1mil as them. If everyone wore a mask and the vulnerable remain isolated, this would be over before we knew it. Unfortunately not everyone is willing to cooperate.
I am in Florida and in April we were already testing quite a bit more than other states and merrily rolling along at 2-4% positive tests. We are now at 16% positive tests with like you said a lot more testing. That is going to be a problem eventually when it sets into our aged population. 10,109 positive tests today, only a couple thousand more than the highest single day number of cases in the world.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
What does this mean?
To me it means we are approaching daily positive case numbers of New York State without a New York City. Our Governor refuses to give out daily information on current hospital bed utilization but I fear it is very high. My wife and I are 69, and we are very careful, but everyday see continued examples of stupidity, not observing social distancing walking into stores without a mask and championing the gotta die of something crowd that still smokes cigarettes. Once this settles into my age bracket, and it will, deaths will go up. My only hope is we know more about treatment now than we did in New York. To keep this in perspective about sports, I see no way teams from Florida, Arizona and Texas can travel this fall. My wife and I are headed to NY tomorrow we will have to quarantine for 2 weeks. If we have to then athletes should too, the virus doesn't know the difference.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To me it means we are approaching daily positive case numbers of New York State without a New York City. Our Governor refuses to give out daily information on current hospital bed utilization but I fear it is very high. My wife and I are 69, and we are very careful, but everyday see continued examples of stupidity, not observing social distancing walking into stores without a mask and championing the gotta die of something crowd that still smokes cigarettes. Once this settles into my age bracket, and it will, deaths will go up. My only hope is we know more about treatment now than we did in New York. To keep this in perspective about sports, I see no way teams from Florida, Arizona and Texas can travel this fall. My wife and I are headed to NY tomorrow we will have to quarantine for 2 weeks. If we have to then athletes should too, the virus doesn't know the difference.

Curious as to where you live. I get hospital bed numbers every day where I live. Three different hospital systems and each day they give updates. I wouldn't ever trust a statewide bed count because of the number of people who get moved in an out of ICU's for whatever reason throughout the day. By the time the state got reports from all the hospitals, assimilated it and put out a press release, the numbers would have already changed. I'm perfectly fine knowing a regional number of 2-3 surrounding counties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom