Hurley suggests the season shouldn't start on time. Clearly, he should retire! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley suggests the season shouldn't start on time. Clearly, he should retire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we all did our part as individuals today we'd all get what we want.
Unfortunately it appears the exact opposite is happening. I was pretty positive about there being a season but I'm starting to believe its not going to happen. Cases are exploding around the country and its not even flu season. Im starting to think we haven't seen the worst of what this pandemic can do and we're about to find out.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The behavior shown by so many Floridians is bizarre to say the least. A political divide over mask wearing? Really. The problem now is too many states let the genie out of the bottle and cannot now stuff him back in. I am personally very concerned about vaccine availability. There has been and will be plenty of time for the virus to mutate (some say it already has) between initiating trials and vaccine approval. FDA is expecting 50% coverage which is a tough target. I was happy when I saw 60% with the flu vaccine and in 2019 it mutated a month or so after the vaccine was released and coverage went to less than 10%. I think the priority should be getting the students in some form of classroom/online situation with strict guidelines starting as soon as possible and see how it works. Universities need to go year round to accommodate reduced class sizes, online learning dorm occupancy restrictions etc. If it works then maybe bring sports back in January. But what do I know - we are trying to figure out how we see our kids and grandkids

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

trouble crossing the border?

Curious about that also. I’m right next to the border and I’ve been dying to get in a weekend in Canada in some form.

But much like the dead period, the dates keep getting extended.

With the way our entire country is trending, I’m not sure I see Trudeau being super willing to let us into Canada or vice versa.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Curious about that also. I’m right next to the border and I’ve been dying to get in a weekend in Canada in some form.

But much like the dead period, the dates keep getting extended.

With the way our entire country is trending, I’m not sure I see Trudeau being super willing to let us into Canada or vice versa.
You can't get a weekend in in Florida, you need to quarantine for 2 weeks. We are headed to upstate NY to stay with our daughter. Once we get there we are quarantining for 2 weeks per NY requirements.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
rioters protest in droves without masks and burn down parts of our country ~10 days before the numbers started to spike again, but the spikes are because people won’t wear masks on beaches in Florida.

@calluke smells like a LL

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
You can't get a weekend in in Florida, you need to quarantine for 2 weeks. We are headed to upstate NY to stay with our daughter. Once we get there we are quarantining for 2 weeks per NY requirements.

Thank you, not sure how close you’ll be to me but you being responsible and following the rules goes a long way.

We have family in Miami that normally we’d possibly visit in this scenario...but I’d do almost anything right now before I traveled to FL.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Thank you, not sure how close you’ll be to me but you being responsible and following the rules goes a long way.

We have family in Miami that normally we’d possibly visit in this scenario...but I’d do almost anything right now before I traveled to FL.
We will be in Kingston. We have a small apartment and our daughter is planning on bringing in groceries. We are taking the autotrain so we don't need to stop in any hotels on the way up. We have food in the car along with two boxes of cleaning supplies, N95 masks, neck gaiters, hand sanitizer etc., I wrote the handwashing guidelines for emergency responders 10 years ago for the American Red Cross and have several book chapters on use of PPE in workplaces and I am very very nervous about this trip.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Sigh.
No you got the timing wrong. It was never the beaches in Florida, its the bars. The spike is timed perfectly 2 to 3 weeks after bars were opened up. Due to the Saharan dust we've been very hot down here for the last few weeks so everyone has been staying indoors to cool off. They drink, drank drunk themselves silly. Early in the rise in cases DeSantis tried to pawn it off on increased testing. He also tried to say it was because of a spike in cases in migrant workers who live together in tight quarters. When someone pointed out to him the the migrant workers left the state in May he backed off on that but continued to say it was due to increased testing. The data however doesn't lie, liars lie. The median age dropped from 65 to 35 from April to now, coinciding with the average age of the bar crowd. The percent positive went from a nice 2 to 4 % to almost 18%. I do think we will see a spike in cases due to the BLM protests, how big remains to be seen. It will likely blend in the the increase in cases we are already seeing. My concern now is lagging indicators. Hospitalizations are starting to rise, and DeSantis somehow has taken this indicator off the State's dashboard (like I said liars lie!) and fired the dashboard's creator. So far we have been told we have enough hospital beds, but some states like Arizona and Texas are struggling. The next lagging indicator is ICU utilization followed by deaths. With our significant seniors population I fully expect to eventually see a rise in these as well, maybe by the end of July.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
No you got the timing wrong. It was never the beaches in Florida, its the bars. The spike is timed perfectly 2 to 3 weeks after bars were opened up. Due to the Saharan dust we've been very hot down here for the last few weeks so everyone has been staying indoors to cool off. They drink, drank drunk themselves silly. Early in the rise in cases DeSantis tried to pawn it off on increased testing. He also tried to say it was because of a spike in cases in migrant workers who live together in tight quarters. When someone pointed out to him the the migrant workers left the state in May he backed off on that but continued to say it was due to increased testing. The data however doesn't lie, liars lie. The median age dropped from 65 to 35 from April to now, coinciding with the average age of the bar crowd. The percent positive went from a nice 2 to 4 % to almost 18%. I do think we will see a spike in cases due to the BLM protests, how big remains to be seen. It will likely blend in the the increase in cases we are already seeing. My concern now is lagging indicators. Hospitalizations are starting to rise, and DeSantis somehow has taken this indicator off the State's dashboard (like I said liars lie!) and fired the dashboard's creator. So far we have been told we have enough hospital beds, but some states like Arizona and Texas are struggling. The next lagging indicator is ICU utilization followed by deaths. With our significant seniors population I fully expect to eventually see a rise in these as well, maybe by the end of July.

I like this post, but you quoted my response rather than his original post.

Reaction Score
I originally thought there would be a major spike from the protests but I no longer think so. I went to a bunch of protests in Chicago, there were thousands of people and I never saw anyone without a mask on except for the cops. My friend in LA said the same thing in his city. All the mask wearing and everything being outside should leave us in an okay spot. I haven't even seen any evidence there's any significant transmission outside. These protests were about a month ago, we should be seeing a major spike by now if it was going to happen and we haven't even with the increased testing and phase 4 starting a week ago. I do think we'll probably see a little spike with phase 4 but it will be manageable. It's as clear as day that masks are everything.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I originally thought there would be a major spike from the protests but I no longer think so. I went to a bunch of protests in Chicago, there were thousands of people and I never saw anyone without a mask on except for the cops. My friend in LA said the same thing in his city. All the mask wearing and everything being outside should leave us in an okay spot. I haven't even seen any evidence there's any significant transmission outside. These protests were about a month ago, we should be seeing a major spike by now if it was going to happen and we haven't even with the increased testing and phase 4 starting a week ago. I do think we'll probably see a little spike with phase 4 but it will be manageable. It's as clear as day that masks are everything.
SJ you are correct about the outdoor spread. There was a good study out of Korea contact tracing some 1700 cases and I think the numbers showed only 1 or 2 were from outdoor contact. Early on Florida was embarrassed nationally by wide open beaches. Well ultimately those beach crowds weren't the problem. We were doing fine in April and May then opened the bars and restaurants without any mandate to wear masks.

Reaction Score
SJ you are correct about the outdoor spread. There was a good study out of Korea contact tracing some 1700 cases and I think the numbers showed only 1 or 2 were from outdoor contact. Early on Florida was embarrassed nationally by wide open beaches. Well ultimately those beach crowds weren't the problem. We were doing fine in April and May then opened the bars and restaurants without any mandate to wear masks.

Air conditioning perhaps

Reaction Score
I know people dismiss the ethics of it all but Jay Wright thinks like a faculty member. He's making millions. Is this going to endanger the very people he guides? So he can continue to earn? There's an ethical question. I very much realize life goes on but...

The chief epidemiologist at Mt.Sinai has said that there are downstream effects for 5-15% of those who contract Covid. This is not insignificant. If an entire basketball team contracts it, it could mean that one of those players will face debilitating issues for an extended period of time.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
CT has handled this phenomenally. Let's just set up a league with every D1 team in CT and play it at XL. They can all live across the street in the Hilton and also take classes from there. We would have to be giving points every game though (like a point spread), in order to ensure fairness.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm also actually surprised that this thread only partially devolved into cesspool status.

Reaction Score
rioters protest in droves without masks and burn down parts of our country ~10 days before the numbers started to spike again, but the spikes are because people won’t wear masks on beaches in Florida.

@calluke smells like a LL
Hey numbnuts, come back to the cesspool. These guys don't want you spoiling a basketball thread.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Air conditioning perhaps
I think so. Air handling systems weren't created for protecting health and safety of patrons, just to keep them cool. If the airhandler is blowing the air across the breathing zone of a superspreader yikes!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
CT has handled this phenomenally. Let's just set up a league with every D1 team in CT and play it at XL. They can all live across the street in the Hilton and also take classes from there. We would have to be giving points every game though (like a point spread), in order to ensure fairness.
NY, NJ and MA also have done a good job with their openings.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I am very happy with the way Danny has handled this from both a COVID and BLM perspective. He is a leader and a teacher. I am also confident that our team has the intelligence, maturity and patience to get this right for them, the school and the fans.

Reaction Score
I am very happy with the way Danny has handled this from both a COVID and BLM perspective. He is a leader and a teacher. I am also confident that our team has the intelligence, maturity and patience to get this right for them, the school and the fans.

U Washington frats Covid outbreak
What, shared beer bongs and speaking over loud music from 6" distance caused a spike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom