Hurley suggests the season shouldn't start on time. Clearly, he should retire! | The Boneyard

Hurley suggests the season shouldn't start on time. Clearly, he should retire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I agree with Danny. The way things are looking, I feel like there will be no college football or hoops this season. And if there is, we will not be in attendance. I'll be rolling over my season tickets into the next season. This sucks.

Reaction Score
I agree with Danny. The way things are looking, I feel like there will be no college football or hoops this season. And if there is, we will not be in attendance. I'll be rolling over my season tickets into the next season. This sucks.
Thats why I like the idea of holding off until January and just playing your conference games. Obviously there is no guarantee that would 100% work out, but at least that gives this thing a few more months to calm down, and if schools are just playing teams in their conference, at least it will be somewhat local and cut down on cross country travel. For example, I just can't see this season starting on time in November, and tournaments like Atlantis or Maui being allowed to take place. I would rather play it conservatively instead of going hard right out of the gate and risking the entire season being shut down again.

Reaction Score
Thats why I like the idea of holding off until January and just playing your conference games. Obviously there is no guarantee that would 100% work out, but at least that gives this thing a few more months to calm down, and if schools are just playing teams in their conference, at least it will be somewhat local and cut down on cross country travel. For example, I just can't see this season starting on time in November, and tournaments like Atlantis or Maui being allowed to take place. I would rather play it conservatively instead of going hard right out of the gate and risking the entire season being shut down again.
That's what makes the most sense.

Reaction Score
If we all did our part as individuals today we'd all get what we want.
January appears to be the most realistic solution at this point.
If we all just wore masks in February/March the deaths would be a tiny fraction of what they are today. It's frustrating but this is with us and it should be manageable.

Reaction Score
The thing with only playing conference games is teams in weak conferences (AAC) will be much worse off come tournament time for at large bids. Not that that's our problem any more, so sign me up

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I think that with the roster we have right now, the practices are more meaningful than the Nov games and most of the Dec games. The depth of this team means both squads are better than the teams we'd be playing through a lot of that schedule. Keep people safe, and if we can have a 20 game Big East season, I'll totally take it.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
All the people who want the economy open while at the same time proudly saying they'll never wear a mask.
Thanks. If that's his point, I get it, and totally agree.

Reaction Score
All the people who want the economy open while at the same time proudly saying they'll never wear a mask.

Yep that’s it, I could’ve explained that better, I was trying not to make this thread Cesspoolish.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You have morons who couldn't pull off a 3 month sacrifice, meanwhile all of Europe is doing just fine.
kettle calling the pot copper
Europe isn't playing politics with it-for the most part

Reaction Score
I work in insurance data, and the higher ups at my company (in MA) keep saying the winters gonna be bad simply because flu season will come around again. I don’t really agree with that, I think we’ll see our cases spike up again slightly when things open up more, it just has to since our cases are so low now.

I really want to watch UConn basketball this season, but ultimately this is complicated due to every state having teams and the situation being different in each, so it’s gonna be tough for a season to be played. But please......

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
This will continue to be a problem until we can find a way to keep it from being lethal to some degree. That alone will buy us all the time the economy needs until a proper vaccine is mass produced at an affordable cost for all. If not free.

Reaction Score
I work in insurance data, and the higher ups at my company (in MA) keep saying the winters gonna be bad simply because flu season will come around again. I don’t really agree with that, I think we’ll see our cases spike up again slightly when things open up more, it just has to since our cases are so low now.

I really want to watch UConn basketball this season, but ultimately this is complicated due to every state having teams and the situation being different in each, so it’s gonna be tough for a season to be played. But please......
I agree, and that goes for any sport really. If anybody involved with the team whether its a player, coach, team manager, trainer, etc, tests positive, the entire team would have to quarantine. If this happens during the season, how does that work?

Reaction Score
For now, Hurley is focused on what he can control, and that's running his basketball program and preparing for his first Big East season.

He's remaining optimistic about the future.

"I've got my mind wrapped around getting ready for November with the way the staff is functioning and the communication with the team," Hurley said. "Obviously, if things change, we'll be prepared for a later start (to the season). Just keep our fingers crossed and stay positive."

And that's what I'm going to do also.

For those without Register access: Dan Hurley is ecstatic to be back in the Big East, but wary of the upcoming season being played at all

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Full context, Hurley made the comment about November in reference to the NCAA extending the no recruiting period through the end of August. It wasn't an unqualified ZOMG HOW CAN WE PLAY IN NOVEMBER DID YOU READ TWITTER??????

Reaction Score
Jay Wright's comments are pretty clear. Unless the virus changes somehow, he is reluctant to go ahead.

Reaction Score
Jay Wright's comments are pretty clear. Unless the virus changes somehow, he is reluctant to go ahead.

That is where it gets tricky. The virus isn’t going away. When we reopen, community spread will occur to at least some extent. It comes down to weighing the benefits and risks but I’ll leave that to the experts. We have done a great job on this thread of keeping it away from the cesspool!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom