Hurley Post Game Quotes | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley Post Game Quotes

Reaction Score
I wish they did an open practice today. Would be more entertaining I’m sure than the game

Reaction Score
The point is the talent is clearly there to not get run out of the building by a terrible St. Joe's team, we weren't playing the Boston Celtics last night.

Obviously. Thus the point about runs magnifying shortcomings.

Reaction Score
Some of these guys have been losing for so long and so badly that they just expect it.

The other team puts a little pressure on and all of a sudden they’re taking threes they can’t make early in the shot clock, jumping out at shooters with their arms down and just generally surrendering.

Half the team was just looking to go back to their apartments ten minutes in.

They’re good kids, but they’ve got a glass jaw and you just hope they don’t teach that to the younger kids.

your last sentence was big for me. I’m praying none of this rubs off on the new guys. The elders need to go. Also no one has really pointed out that the other team was just on fire.

Reaction Score
your last sentence was big for me. I’m praying none of this rubs off on the new guys. The elders need to go. Also no one has really pointed out that the other team was just on fire.

That's my biggest worry right now.

Reaction Score
Vital taking early shot clock shots trying to be a hero has killed so much momentum the last 2 years it’s insane.

CV and AG think leading the team is taking shots and stupid drives. I am pretty sure that’s not DH’s plan.. severl times Polly was WIDE open late and they drive into the trees or CV takes a contested NBA 3.

Akok, Polly and Carlton need touches. THEN maybe AG can get some room inside with the floor a little more open

This is true. But would Calhoun just sit there and continue to watch this. This is why I blame Hurley also because there are no consequences.

Reaction Score
Also my biggest worry, Hurley would have been better running most of these guys off.

Yes an no. Results wouldn't have been much better if not worse.

But I also think he's going to - just not in the 'your scholarship is toast' way. Especially with Javonte Brown Ferguson, Jackson, Springs and Cole in the fold -guys like Whalley- there just won't be a place for them. Sounds like Gilbert is gone anyway. That's two spots immediately.

Polley, Carlton.. who knows there.

Difference being last year Hurley didn't have options. This year he has some, but probably not enough. Next year? Those guys could find themselves in oblivion at the end of the bench. And they're not stupid. They'll catch on. And then it's a matter of the conversation being 'hey, you're a good kid and a good player, but these are the guys who are playing now. If you want to leave and play like I think you deserve to somewhere else, we'll do everything we can do to help. If you plan on staying though - this is what it's going to be.'

Reaction Score
Well it's worth noting we haven't had a really good point guard in forever - which is crazy to say at UConn. And even the more I watch of Gilbert - the more I think he's a 2-guard. Or would be better suited to be there.

I can’t see Al at the 2. He is not a good shooter and he would have guard the other teams 2, so he will give up a lot of height. I can see keeping him on the floor and giving him breaks by using another ball handler.

Reaction Score
I can’t see Al at the 2. He is not a good shooter and he would have guard the other teams 2, so he will give up a lot of height. I can see keeping him on the floor and giving him breaks by using another ball handler.

Fair enough. I said 'more of a 2' probably from a place of 'well he's a crappy PG and can't create.' Logic bombing myself with "BUT I BET HE WILL BE FREE AT THE 2"

Reaction Score
At least we're in great physical shape after all those workouts. Could use another instagram of that about now.

Reaction Score
What happened last night is not acceptable. But people need to realize the players on this team are simply not good enough to be vintage UConn. That’s what it keeps coming back to for me. Hurley can coach the hell out of these guys and have them prepared for every game, but if the talent isn’t there it doesn’t matter. I’m aware he got out-coached last night, but let’s be honest with ourselves and admit we aren’t talented enough to be a contender yet. Help is on the way in the name of RJ Cole, Bouknight, Andre Jackson, Richie Springs, and Javonte Brown Ferguson.

Reaction Score
Sounds a little like blaming the players alone. Not quite ten to..... in. Anyway. Walk carefully coach. Alosi is the only one bringing evident positive improvement right now. Don’t get into the squid and picker role.
Ironic.....they bash the crap out of Edsall, and KO for saying similar things.

Reaction Score
For all of the god-awful play in the first half, we probably win the game if that stretch turns out differently, and it was all on Vital. He put his hands down on D and gave up a 3. Then he walks down and jacks up a bad 3. Then he commits a silly foul on the other end (1-2 FT). Now we're down seven and in panic mode.

Reaction Score
Ironic.....they bash the crap out of Edsall, and KO for saying similar things.
Ollie had no coaching experience, tried to run our program, and decimated it.
Hurley has a track record of winning at multiple programs.
Look to the common denominator.
He deserves time to get ride of what is left over from the Ollie era.
Blaming Hurley in year two when still relying on Ollie’s players is insane

Reaction Score
Now after last nite the coach knows how fast a game can get out of hand for this team. When I was coaching and saw a team that I knew was in a funk I would be prepared to call 2 or more time outs in the first minute. The team knew this. Maybe sub the whole team out no exceptions. Calhoun did this and it was one of the things I liked most about him-that's why I related to him and his kick-ass style of winning.
The loss is on everybody both CV and Coach agree on this. Much of what has been said on this thread is right on. You BYs really care as I do. I am 82 and have witnessed too much winning in person to be satisfied with this. I feel that the coach and team must have had enough by now. I expect to see some big differences on Sunday and for the rest of this season.

Reaction Score
Hurley antics on the sideline is the same thing ppl were saying about Ollie but at least Ollie got us a championship with players he recruited just being real the bazz n boats of the world

Reaction Score
Hurley antics on the sideline is the same thing ppl were saying about Ollie but at least Ollie got us a championship with players he recruited just being real the bazz n boats of the world

Great. Now we're pining to bring back Ollie . . .

Reaction Score
It’s clear Gilbert is able to get inside almost any time but has trouble finishing. Once he does everyone stops moving ( if they had been moving at all) and watches him get swallowed up by the defense rather than moving to an area he can pass to. The cement shoes need to disappear. You would expect college players on any level could figure that out without needing it drilled into their heads to present themselves. Of course that alone won’t help on the forced shots and stupid turnovers by trying to drive into 2 or 3 defenders.

Reaction Score
Great. Now we're pining to bring back Ollie . . .
Of course that’s not going to happen ... I’m just a fan of uconn basketball and hopefully Hurley is the right guy but if he isn’t in years to come then we have find another guy

Reaction Score
The way you start a game is probably 70% to 30% on the staff
Would have to disagree. If you heard Hurley in the pre game, he knew exactly what the team was getting into against St Joes. You don’t think the staff prepared? The players came out flat, slow and lazy on defense. I think the only thing Hurley did wrong was call a timeout sooner to clear the bench.

Reaction Score
You can’t teach basketball IQ. It’s blatantly obvious that this team is lacking in that department. I’ve seen the same dumb shots, the same dumb dribbling to nowhere, the same driving into the trees in the lane for the last several years and have seen no improvement.

Reaction Score
st. Joseph’s was ridiculously hot in the first half and some of their players made some shots throughout the game that they may never make again in their life. That happens with underdogs sometimes.

But the amount of stupid plays we made is just unacceptable. We had Gilbert, Vital, Polley taking contested long two’s without any ball movement. Josh airballed his first shot and the airballed a free throw later. He didn’t come ready to play.. Then we come back Vital and Gilbert decide to just dribble into the other team and give them the ball.

However, we should ban the “ollie’s Guys” argument. These kids have been Hurley guys for 2 years now and have all bought in to his program. A good coach can get the best out of players even if he didn’t sit on the mother’s couch when the kid was 17.
Polley hit 4/5 shots 4/4 from 3
I’ll take that shot selection anyday

Reaction Score
Ollie had no coaching experience, tried to run our program, and decimated it.
Hurley has a track record of winning at multiple programs.
Look to the common denominator.
He deserves time to get ride of what is left over from the Ollie era.
Blaming Hurley in year two when still relying on Ollie’s players is insane
I am cool with that. He did not have the team ready last night. But KO had no track record and won it all.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom