Hurley Post Game Quotes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley Post Game Quotes

Reaction Score
Vital taking early shot clock shots trying to be a hero has killed so much momentum the last 2 years it’s insane.

CV and AG think leading the team is taking shots and stupid drives. I am pretty sure that’s not DH’s plan.. severl times Polly was WIDE open late and they drive into the trees or CV takes a contested NBA 3.

Akok, Polly and Carlton need touches. THEN maybe AG can get some room inside with the floor a little more open

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Obviously Hurley could have made some better adjustments throughout the game but I don't know what people expected from him with the start. Tell players to play defense? Don't let a 6 foot guy get a rebound in the middle of 3 UConn players? At a certain point players have to perform

What Hurley screwed up was 1. sticking his preferred lineup on the bench too early to let SJU dictate how the game was going to be played and 2. going away from what fueled the comeback towards the end.

But timeouts and 'ready to play' are so far down the list to be almost worthless.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
st. Joseph’s was ridiculously hot in the first half and some of their players made some shots throughout the game that they may never make again in their life. That happens with underdogs sometimes.

While not wrong, we really do 'allow' guys to get hot. We don't defend the three for crap. Gave up so many wide open threes last night to be embarrassing.

And once guys get hot, they start hitting those circus shots too.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm a big Hurley fan, but some of this debacle is on him. Pregame, coach was talking about the match up nightmare that they faced with St. Joe's. Instead of playing to our comparative advantage, speed and depth, we tried to play their game. They did not have a bunch of great ball handlers...the press should have been employed right from the start

We have better players. But we don't have a speed advantage. Our team is cement block slow. But we absolutely did let them dictate. That was a poor in-game decision by Hurley.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
st. Joseph’s was ridiculously hot in the first half and some of their players made some shots throughout the game that they may never make again in their life. That happens with underdogs sometimes.

But the amount of stupid plays we made is just unacceptable. We had Gilbert, Vital, Polley taking contested long two’s without any ball movement. Josh airballed his first shot and the airballed a free throw later. He didn’t come ready to play.. Then we come back Vital and Gilbert decide to just dribble into the other team and give them the ball.

However, we should ban the “ollie’s Guys” argument. These kids have been Hurley guys for 2 years now and have all bought in to his program. A good coach can get the best out of players even if he didn’t sit on the mother’s couch when the kid was 17.
This^

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Almost all of those reasons have to do with the inherent shortcomings of players that the coach did not recruit
Are lack of intensity, lack of game plan and lack of defense inherent shortcomings of players?

I think the guy who built this program would disagree strongly with that notion.

Reaction Score
However, we should ban the “ollie’s Guys” argument. These kids have been Hurley guys for 2 years now and have all bought in to his program. A good coach can get the best out of players even if he didn’t sit on the mother’s couch when the kid was 17.

Just because they've bought into his program doesn't mean they can execute what he asks of them.

And this is their best. I really do believe that. Why? Because this is exactly what these guys have gives us over two different coaching staffs for 3-4 years. I mean how many times do you have to see the same script acted out over and over with the same guys before you just realize that this is what they are?

You really think if Coach K or Jim Calhoun walked in the door that things would miraculously change for Christian Vital? Or that Tyler Polley would all of a sudden become an athlete or something? Or that Alterique Gilbert could create, finish around the rim and kick the ball out? Or that Josh Carlton wouldn't be totally afraid of his own shadow?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Are lack of intensity, lack of game plan and lack of defense inherent shortcomings of players?

I think the guy who built this program would disagree strongly with that notion.

Lack of intensity is inherent with a lot of these guys. Borges tweeted about how Hurley was concerned about Alterique's lack of fire/urgency in general.

Lack of defense is largely a result of our players being slow . But Hurley needs to accommodate to change that this year -- he probably won't tho.

Reaction Score

I don't.

At Northeastern, it took him six years before they started to win.

At UConn, he was 9-19 in year-1 and then we won the NIT in year two, but we were 20-14. Then 18-13 the following year before the dream season. Right about where we'll end up this year.

So no, Hurley being big mad and slamming chairs isn't going to turn Tyler Polley into a college athlete.

Reaction Score
And they don't 'lack intensity'. They lack foot speed, the ability to finish, general athleticism and were raised in a college basketball culture where as soon as you were down by double digits, you waived the white flag, didn't have to go to the weight room, where summer workouts were totally optional and they weren't taught how to run offenses, defensive schemes or anything relative to being a successful college basketball program.

At least they were told to go to class, so there's that.

Reaction Score
Almost all of those reasons have to do with the inherent shortcomings of players that the coach did not recruit

Players the coach did not recruit: Vital, Gilbert, Wilson, Polley, Carlton, Whaley. St. Joseph's would kill to have these guys on their roster and most coaches in our current conference would love to have these guys (besides Whaley). Sure, some may not be perfect for Hurley's system, but he has enough talent to work with and have a good season. The "losing culture" thing is mostly a myth. You can't use that excuse 2 years in a row.

Reaction Score
Players the coach did not recruit: Vital, Gilbert, Wilson, Polley, Carlton, Whaley. St. Joseph's would kill to have these guys on their roster and most coaches in our current conference would love to have these guys (besides Whaley). Sure, some may not be perfect for Hurley's system, but he has enough talent to work with and have a good season. The "losing culture" thing is mostly a myth. You can't use that excuse 2 years in a row.

A myth? It's literally been rubbing it's nuts all over your face for four years now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And they don't 'lack intensity'. They lack foot speed, the ability to finish, general athleticism and were raised in a college basketball culture where as soon as you were down by double digits, you waived the white flag, didn't have to go to the weight room, where summer workouts were totally optional and they weren't taught how to run offenses, defensive schemes or anything relative to being a successful college basketball program.

I don't know, Borges mentioned Hurley commenting on Alterique. And he often calls them too nice.

But we are obv in agreement on the rest.

Reaction Score

A lot of these guys are soft, we know that. I don't know what people expect Hurley to do to change their personalities, other than bringing in new personnel.

Hurley did the karmically-correct thing by bringing everyone back last year, but you can guarantee he's wishing he could accelerate the roster turnover without having to be a ____ and kick guys out.

Reaction Score
A myth? It's literally been rubbing it's nuts all over your face for four years now.

So players have never gone through a bad season, had a coaching change and then had some success? Or are they permanently ruined from what they went through?

Reaction Score
So players have never gone through a bad season, had a coaching change and then had some success? Or are they permanently ruined from what they went through?

Or the previous coach had no idea what he was looking for in terms of the personalities and talent of his recruits.

Reaction Score
I don't know, Borges mentioned Hurley commenting on Alterique. And he often calls them too nice.

But we are obv in agreement on the rest.

I think it's fair to say with a few of them. It's part of what makes them not good basketball players.

I wouldn't say that about say... Vital. He tries. Too much, really; but he tries. He's just not very good.

In fact, he might be the most incarnate Ollie guy we have. Say some inspirational stuff in interviews. Dive for balls. And use those two things as an excuse to literally work on not a single, solitary other thing that needs working on in his game. As long as the smoke screen is up, all is good!

But yeah.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Hurley did the karmically-correct thing by bringing everyone back last year, but you can guarantee he's wishing he could accelerate the roster turnover without having to be a ____ and kick guys out.

Def wants diff players, but it wasn't just karma. It was setting a tone for the type of culture he wanted to have -- ie loyalty and family. Couldn't preach that and kick guys out the door. Would have lost everybody day 1.

Latest 2 recruits have commented on family atmosphere, so it's working.

Reaction Score

I think part of it is them being ruined. A lot of bad habbits don't get broken over night - if you can even break them, period. Drug addicts die all the time - and do so knowing none of their actions make rational change AND even WANTING to stop doing drugs.

The other part of it is them just not being very good - and their mental blocks being a contributor to their limitations as players. I mean outside of Gilbert who came in as a McDonalds All American - none of these guys came in with any sort of pedigree other than us trying to relentlessly talk ourselves into them being good or having upside somehow.

Reaction Score
Or the previous coach had no idea what he was looking for in terms of the personalities and talent of his recruits.

Ok and you are mostly right. But that isn't what Hurley said...He says that they are too accustomed to losing and accept losing because they are used to it. I don't buy that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think it's fair to say with a few of them. It's part of what makes them not good basketball players.

I wouldn't say that about say... Vital. He tries. Too much, really; but he tries. He's just not very good.

In fact, he might be the most incarnate Ollie guy we have. Say some inspirational stuff in interviews. Dive for balls. And use those two things as an excuse to literally work on not a single, solitary other thing that needs working on in his game. As long as the smoke screen is up, all is good!

But yeah.

Definitely not a 100% of players thing. But even Bouknight, who hasn't played, acknowledges he need he needs to work on his motor.

I personally love Vital because he managed to give max effort through the Ollie years, when it made a whole lot more sense to just be depressed. I recognize he's just very limited as a player. From both a physical and mental perspective.

Reaction Score

My hope generally for this year is progress and improvement from the guys who are going to be here another 2-3 years. That's the benchmark. Whatever we get out of the older guys is what we get.

But what I think you'll see - and to your point - is their BS isn't going to hold up this year. If Gilbert wants to keep playing terribly - Bouknight or Gaffney WILL get more and more of his minutes. And in a few cases, there will be guys who will never see the court. And that'll be them getting the message. And then looking for spots in other programs.

Last year Hurley had what he had. At this moment in time, that hasn't changed, but as the year progresses -he will. And playing time won't be gifted. And they'll have to compete.

Reaction Score
And when you look forward to next year:

-Andre Jackson is going to take a ton of playing time away from people.
-Javonte Brown Ferguson and Richie Springs probably make it so Carlton's time is diminished - and Whalley's might be completely wiped off the map.
-RJ Cole will start at guard. Maybe that helps make Gilbert better because he doesn't have to play point. Maybe Bouknight takes a big step forward. Gaffney steps forward...

Next year the roster squeeze for these guys is going to be really, really real.

Reaction Score

With respect to the lack of intensity and lack of defense, after 2+ seasons, yes.

I don't much care for calling them Ollie's guys and I've tried to avoid saying that directly, but you can't avoid the fact that these players have proven themselves to be what they are, and other than Akok (the only guy who had energy from the tip last night) and Adams (who was never going to be anything but a complementary player), the current coach didn't recruit any of them.

As for the game plan, I'm sure it was for us to keep our hands down on defense and not pressure the ball.

When you look at the roster (the guys who played last night), how many guys are high major players, either from an athletic or skill standpoint? Do we have anybody that has high major skill and athleticism?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom