Hurley Post Game Quotes | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley Post Game Quotes

Reaction Score
The problem I have is Danny knows what he has with these guys. Why is our defense so pourous and our offense lacking a plan? By now we should be able to at least run plays. We don't attack on offense. Really disappointing. Not looking forward to Florida at all!
That's the most disappointing part of this loss for me, it really puts a damper on Florida. Fans that were willing to give the boys the benefit of the doubt and have Gampel rocking for Florida will now look at this team and see the losing program from the past few years staring back at them. Embarrassing result, plain and simple.

Reaction Score
Polley was 4 of 5 from the field, 4 of 4 from 3. Including him with the other two culprits is inaccurate.

And he did absolutely nothing while SJU was running away in the first half. That's part of my point about talent. There is nobody out there who you can rely on to get a basket to stop the run.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it given the problems he’s had, but AG is the big issue here. He just isn’t very good and when your PG is the weak link, you have serious problems. Your “star” player throwing up one 25% shooting night after another is going to lead to a lot of losing. It sucks the energy out of everyone to have the leader and guy with the ball in his hands suck so bad. All you can do out there as a player is hope he starts playing better or hope he passes the ball so someone else can make a shot. Polley taking so few shots given he made 80% is a travesty. It is on the coach as well, because he allowed it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Players the coach did not recruit: Vital, Gilbert, Wilson, Polley, Carlton, Whaley. St. Joseph's would kill to have these guys on their roster and most coaches in our current conference would love to have these guys (besides Whaley). Sure, some may not be perfect for Hurley's system, but he has enough talent to work with and have a good season. The "losing culture" thing is mostly a myth. You can't use that excuse 2 years in a row.

You can have 1 of those guys and do something with him. But put them all together and you get a turd burger of apathy.

Reaction Score
We are down by 3 and they hit a three. ST. Joes is in foul trouble and they can’t stop our dribble penetration. Vital comes back down court and jacks up a quick three. Hilarity ensues and we spend the last four minutes of the game turning the ball over, and throwing up quick jump shots.

For all of the god-awful play in the first half, we probably win the game if that stretch turns out differently, and it was all on Vital. He put his hands down on D and gave up a 3. Then he walks down and jacks up a bad 3. Then he commits a silly foul on the other end (1-2 FT). Now we're down seven and in panic mode.

Reaction Score
Polley was 4 of 5 from the field, 4 of 4 from 3. Including him with the other two culprits is inaccurate.
Polley May have had a couple big threes late but he barely grabbed any boards , was pretty much an enigma throughout the game and did not box out a st joes guy in final three minutes which led to a huge offensive rebound He wasn’t as bad but he definitely was part of the problem

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Polley May have had a couple big threes late but he barely grabbed any boards , was pretty much an enigma throughout the game and did not box out a st joes guy in final three minutes which led to a huge offensive rebound He wasn’t as bad but he definitely was part of the problem

Polley's only rebounds randomly bounced into his hands.

Reaction Score
I like this. When upperclassmen embarrass themselves and the team sit their a__ down and keep doing to embarrass them. He has to send the message that HE WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS. PERIOD. I think it is time that HE look in the mirror and ask himself if HE is being "a nice guy" by not yanking them out of the game and keeping a short leash on non hustlers. Also agree with the commentary above on the lack of timeouts and other adjustments which he waited far too long to make in the first half.
He did bench Carlton for almost 10 mins in first half tho

Reaction Score
I hate to say it given the problems he’s had, but AG is the big issue here. He just isn’t very good and when your PG is the weak link, you have serious problems. Your “star” player throwing up one 25% shooting night after another is going to lead to a lot of losing. It sucks the energy out of everyone to have the leader and guy with the ball in his hands suck so bad. All you can do out there as a player is hope he starts playing better or hope he passes the ball so someone else can make a shot. Polley taking so few shots given he made 80% is a travesty. It is on the coach as well, because he allowed it.

Well it's worth noting we haven't had a really good point guard in forever - which is crazy to say at UConn. And even the more I watch of Gilbert - the more I think he's a 2-guard. Or would be better suited to be there.

Reaction Score
And when you look forward to next year:

-Andre Jackson is going to take a ton of playing time away from people.
-Javonte Brown Ferguson and Richie Springs probably make it so Carlton's time is diminished - and Whalley's might be completely wiped off the map.
-RJ Cole will start at guard. Maybe that helps make Gilbert better because he doesn't have to play point. Maybe Bouknight takes a big step forward. Gaffney steps forward...

Next year the roster squeeze for these guys is going to be really, really real.
Exactly exactly exactly. And once bouknight and akok get going , Polley and sid are going to be in fir a reality check this year.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
With respect to the lack of intensity and lack of defense, after 2+ seasons, yes.

I don't much care for calling them Ollie's guys and I've tried to avoid saying that directly, but you can't avoid the fact that these players have proven themselves to be what they are, and other than Akok (the only guy who had energy from the tip last night) and Adams (who was never going to be anything but a complementary player), the current coach didn't recruit any of them.

As for the game plan, I'm sure it was for us to keep our hands down on defense and not pressure the ball.

When you look at the roster (the guys who played last night), how many guys are high major players, either from an athletic or skill standpoint? Do we have anybody that has high major skill and athleticism?
Fair points, but as with most things I think the truth is somewhere in between. No, the cupboard was not full nor is it now, but at a minimum Alterique, Akok and Wilson were billed as having that potential from either a skill or athletic standpoint. And for the most part, the rough start to this season aside, I like how Josh has developed under Hurley.

Bottom line is that it's time for Hurley to own the culture of this team now imo. I'm not asking for miracles, just an effort that makes me not want to sell my Florida ticket, which is what I am doing now. The effort I seen from this team so far this season doesn't merit taking up that much of my Sunday. It's up to Hurley to change that, no matter who's on the floor.

Reaction Score
And when you look forward to next year:

-Andre Jackson is going to take a ton of playing time away from people.
-Javonte Brown Ferguson and Richie Springs probably make it so Carlton's time is diminished - and Whalley's might be completely wiped off the map.
-RJ Cole will start at guard. Maybe that helps make Gilbert better because he doesn't have to play point. Maybe Bouknight takes a big step forward. Gaffney steps forward...

Next year the roster squeeze for these guys is going to be really, really real.
Agreed but Gilbert isn't going to be here next year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well it's worth noting we haven't had a really good point guard in forever - which is crazy to say at UConn. And even the more I watch of Gilbert - the more I think he's a 2-guard. Or would be better suited to be there.

He's sort of like Boat that way. Minus the dawg.

Reaction Score
Can try and dispute the losing culture comments all you want but we got down by 15 early and they folded and let the lead balloon up to 27. That's the difference in the game.

That's the point of the game where your senior guards need to step up and settle everyone down, but instead they're jacking up contested shots with 25 seconds on the shot clock. That's the losing mentality from previous years

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agreed but Gilbert isn't going to be here next year.
Can he transfer and play immediately if he graduates and still has another year of eligibility?

I love the kid and hate how his college career has turned out, but I'd love to see him get a fresh start somewhere else for a season without the heavy weight of expectations and the baggage with which he'd be saddled if he stayed here next season.

Reaction Score
Fair points, but as with most things I think the truth is somewhere in between. No, the cupboard was not full nor is it now, but at a minimum Alterique, Akok and Wilson were billed as having that potential from either a skill or athletic standpoint. And for the most part, the rough start to this season aside, I like how Josh has developed under Hurley.

Bottom line is that it's time for Hurley to own the culture of this team now imo. I'm not asking for miracles, just an effort that makes me not want to sell my Florida ticket, which is what I am doing now. The effort I seen from this team so far this season doesn't merit taking up that much of my Sunday. It's up to Hurley to change that, no matter who's on the floor.

All fair, and I don't want to absolve Hurley of all responsibility here. If you can't get the players to respond you have to try a different approach, and there were definitely some tactical errors made when the game was getting away from us. But the talent is clearly not there, and when an opponent goes on a crazy run those shortcomings are magnified.

I think that Carlton has developed enough from a skill standpoint, but he's not a high-level athlete. Gilbert was billed as having the potential but I don't think he's as quick as he was billed as being and he's clearly undersized. Wilson is a high level athlete but hasn't demonstrated any one skill that he brings to the table. Akok could be a guy that checks both boxes, but he's in his second game and a bit raw from a skill standpoint.

Reaction Score
All fair, and I don't want to absolve Hurley of all responsibility here. If you can't get the players to respond you have to try a different approach, and there were definitely some tactical errors made when the game was getting away from us. But the talent is clearly not there, and when an opponent goes on a crazy run those shortcomings are magnified.

I think that Carlton has developed enough from a skill standpoint, but he's not a high-level athlete. Gilbert was billed as having the potential but I don't think he's as quick as he was billed as being and he's clearly undersized. Wilson is a high level athlete but hasn't demonstrated any one skill that he brings to the table. Akok could be a guy that checks both boxes, but he's in his second game and a bit raw from a skill standpoint.
The point is the talent is clearly there to not get run out of the building by a terrible St. Joe's team, we weren't playing the Boston Celtics last night.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hopefully this lights a fire under them, but I'm not sure. We've had way too many of these L's over the years. The upperclassmen are just really good at finding ways to lose.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The point is the talent is clearly there to not get run out of the building by a terrible St. Joe's team, we weren't playing the Boston Celtics last night.

There's talent, and then there's mentality. Many of these guys lack the latter.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Unless he transfers there isn't a pro team in North America that would sign him. He's not good.

There's a league somewhere out there he can get run. ducking guys like Mandeldove found teams

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
How does Polley end up with only 2 rebounds in a high possession back and forth game like this? You can get 2 rebounds by accident. He is easily the worst rebounding forward I have ever seen at Uconn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom