Hurley Planning on an 8 man rotation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley Planning on an 8 man rotation

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And match-ups. Everyone needs to be ready, even those not in the current 8.

That's why I suggested earlier each game may see a core group of 8 get most of the minutes but it may not be the same eight. Could be match ups, could be hot hand, foul trouble,etc.

Reaction Score
The issue with Polley is that he’s so dreadful on the defensive end and doesn’t really contribute all that much in any other aspect of the game. If he’s not hitting his shots, he’s such an anchor on the floor

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I know, grain of salt and everything with what Hurley says, but if we're analyzing Hurley's comments about 8 guys getting starters minutes we can't just ignore this

That when is an "if" and it's a big if.

The issue with Polley is that he’s so dreadful on the defensive end and doesn’t really contribute all that much in any other aspect of the game. If he’s not hitting his shots, he’s such an anchor on the floor
And maybe, just maybe, this a coach's way of motivating a player to pay harder on defense in order to keep himself on the floor for more minutes.

Reaction Score
That when is an "if" and it's a big if.
His defense hasn't even been that bad the past few years. It's not good, but it's certainly not bad enough to keep him off the floor when he has the 1 skill that's needed most with next year's team makeup

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I assume spots 7 and 8 will be on a rotating basis.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
His defense hasn't even been that bad the past few years. It's not good, but it's certainly not bad enough to keep him off the floor when he has the 1 skill that's needed most with next year's team makeup
People have a selective memory of Polleys defense. When it comes to contesting on the perimeter, you could argue he's one of our best. We just can't have him matched up on traditional 4s, he really struggles with physicality. Also considering we're playing many 2 big lineups this year, his footspeed should be less of an issue with the type of elite help he'll have at the rim.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I'm less concerned about how the minutes are spread. Guys are going to get hurt, and I'd be willing to bet a player or two tests positive for COVID at some point throughout the season.

We know Sanogo, Whaley, Cole and Martin will get big minutes, and Hawkins, Gaffney and Jackson will play a lot. But we will need the depth of Akok, Johnson, Polley and others at some point. There were multiple points in the 2016-2018 era when half our starters were hurt and we had absolutely no depth. This is a good problem to have if Hurley can manage it right.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The issue with Polley is that he’s so dreadful on the defensive end...
Sounds like it's still an issue. When Hurley said "...when Tyler Polley is engaged defensively..."; that was coachspeak for "Tyler Polley isn't engaged defensively."

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I know, grain of salt and everything with what Hurley says, but if we're analyzing Hurley's comments about 8 guys getting starters minutes we can't just ignore this

Problem is Polley has been dealing with an Ankle injury during preseason. So I dont know what to think heading to season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the big question is who will be those 8 guys right now. Seems fairl

Likely sitting:
  • Springs
  • Diggins
  • Floyd

Definitely in the 8 (IMO or from reports...):
  • Cole
  • Sanogo
  • Whaley
  • Hawkins
  • Akok

... one of these guys isn't going to get starter-type minutes... your guess is as good as mine. Maybe Gaffney if we use him purely as a backup PG.
  • Polley
  • Gaffney
  • Rese
  • Jackson
if Hawkins is good enough to be one of our top five players, that’s a good sign. I definitely know he’s a quality player, but I was surprised to see him as one of the top five.

I may be “mis-remembering“ this, but I felt as if you were a little soft on AAs chances this year. Did I get that wrong or have you heard something?

Reaction Score
Sounds like it's still an issue. When Hurley said "...when Tyler Polley is engaged defensively..."; that was coachspeak for "Tyler Polley isn't engaged defensively."

I honestly don’t know if it’s an engagement issue, he’s a super senior for God’s sake. I think it’s a talent issue.

He is just is too slow and is bereft of defensive instincts.

He is capable of doing one (important) thing well. When that isn’t happening on a given night, he should be nailed to the bench

Reaction Score
I think I cracked the code.

1 guy 30, 2 guys 25, 5 guys 20, 2 guys 10

Cole -- Sanogo, Whaley -- Hawkins, Martin, Jackson, Gaffney ... and then 1 of Polley or Akok is the last 20 minute spot and the other with Johsnon in the 10 minute blocks. The rotation is smoother with Polley getting 20, since he can play minutes at the 3.

PG - Cole (30), Gaffney (10)
W1 - Hawkins (20), Jackson (10), Gaffney (10)
W2 - Martin (20), Jackson (10), Polley (10)
F - Whaley (10), Akok (10), Johnson (10), Polley (10)
C - Sanogo (25), Whaley (15)

Floyd, Diggins, Springs with spot minutes/red shrting.

Reaction Score
if Hawkins is good enough to be one of our top five players, that’s a good sign. I definitely know he’s a quality player, but I was surprised to see him as one of the top five.

I may be “mis-remembering“ this, but I felt as if you were a little soft on AAs chances this year. Did I get that wrong or have you heard something?

Most recent interview Hurley said he'll get starter minutes. If he's with it mentally, he could have a great season

August_West

Reaction Score

Cole -- Sanogo, Whaley -- Hawkins, Martin, Jackson, Gaffney ... and then 1 of Polley or Akok is the last 20 minute spot and the other with Johsnon in the 10 minute blocks. The rotation is smoother with Polley getting 20, since he can play minutes at the 3.

Thats honestly not bad. Pretty great breakdown.

I think Martin will average more than 20.
He can play 2,3,4.
I think that will cut Gaffney a bit under 20 and Johnson a bit under 10 . In fact I could see Johnson riding pine , not for talent reasons, but Freshman ones.

Obviously its going to be fluid, but your take is a good start.

What's glaring there is its sad that Akok is only getting 10 a game. I hope he makes us all eat a prediction like that. But I cant argue with it at this juncture.

Reaction Score

give samson's mins to akok and i'm happy. 9 guys should get starters mins ie 20 mpg+

F - Whaley (10), Akok (20), Polley (10)

30- cole
25- whaley, sanogo
20- gaff, hawk, aj, martin, polley, akok
B- digg, samson, springs
RS- floyd

Last edited:
Reaction Score

That's pretty much exactly what I had in my notes, just had Gaffney with some extra minutes at PG and Martin/Akok with 5 more each from Johnson's minutes. I did it a few months ago so think Johnson will definitely earn some minutes now

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Which is why several in this thread see him getting inconsistent minutes throughout this season.

Reaction Score
People have a selective memory of Polleys defense. When it comes to contesting on the perimeter, you could argue he's one of our best. We just can't have him matched up on traditional 4s, he really struggles with physicality. Also considering we're playing many 2 big lineups this year, his footspeed should be less of an issue with the type of elite help he'll have at the rim.
Polley’s problem has always been strength or lack of it.
He was a kid ( he and Akok were born the same year ) , when he got here and got injured his sophomore
year It tough for a guy his size to be quick enough to guard on the perimeter but he was never strong enough to guard a big so Hurley’s had him guarding 6’5” 3’s.
At 22 and two years removed from the ACL I suspect he can handle most 4’s in the Big East with a combination of size , quickness, and mature physical strength.
At lest I hope so. He actually moves his feet well for a 6’9” guy but lacks that shot blocking skill the board loves.
Frankly I rather see a guy forcing his man into no or bad shots for 25 minutes than blocking 2-3 .

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yes, and I when I look like Ryan Reynolds, I get quality time with Blake Lively. Hurley also mentioned rebounding in that series of quotes. In four years, I've seen one good rebounding effort. I saw a good defensive effort against McDuffie, because, like Polley, he's slow, tall and plays outside. He can't stay with quick guards or wings outside, and he can't handle real forwards inside. So he's going to be a defensive liability against most of our opponents. Our hard hedge makes it worse. I think we could handle people blowing by him if we had say, Thabeet manning the paint. Instead, often last year teams waited until the 5 went outside, reversed the ball to Polley's man and took it to the basket.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Dear Lord...if Polley plays even 1 minute at the 4 on a team with Whaley, Akok, Johnson and Springs, things have gone badly wrong. Even Martin and Jackson are better able to defend the position. Give those 10 minutes to Akok and this is about right.

August_West

Reaction Score
Polley’s problem has always been strength or lack of it.
He was a kid ( he and Akok were born the same year ) , when he got here and got injured his sophomore
year It tough for a guy his size to be quick enough to guard on the perimeter but he was never strong enough to guard a big so Hurley’s had him guarding 6’5” 3’s.
At 22 and two years removed from the ACL I suspect he can handle most 4’s in the Big East with a combination of size , quickness, and mature physical strength.
At lest I hope so. He actually moves his feet well for a 6’9” guy but lacks that shot blocking skill the board loves.
Frankly I rather see a guy forcing his man into no or bad shots for 25 minutes than blocking 2-3 .

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Polley is actually an excellent "team scheme" defender. Seldom out of position, helps properly, recovers properly. He get's it. He doesn't hurt our team defense at all, say, the way Enoch did. His glaring weakness is one on one defense in isolation. He lets guys (and they can be 3's, they can be 4's, they can be whatever's, as long as they have a decent handle and a semi quick step) turn the corner on him on the bounce. Tyler's definitely long enough, and semi-athletic enough to be better at preventing that, but that's why people think he doesn't defend. Because that's an easy call when you see a guy abuse him in iso. Watch the rest of his D game and one would be pleasantly surprised.

He definitely doesn't need to block shots, but if he can 1) keep guys in front of him better in iso 2) be a little more ferocious on boards (and I think we saw hints of that at end of last year) then I think he seems some decent floor time this year. (as long as no more nagging injuries)

Reaction Score
Yes, and I when I look like Ryan Reynolds, I get quality time with Blake Lively. Hurley also mentioned rebounding in that series of quotes. In four years, I've seen one good rebounding effort. I saw a good defensive effort against McDuffie, because, like Polley, he's slow, tall and plays outside. He can't stay with quick guards or wings outside, and he can't handle real forwards inside. So he's going to be a defensive liability against most of our opponents. Our hard hedge makes it worse. I think we could handle people blowing by him if we had say, Thabeet manning the paint. Instead, often last year teams waited until the 5 went outside, reversed the ball to Polley's man and took it to the basket.
It's barely even worth the engagement with you on Polley, but I'll just direct you to @August_West 's post for an accurate description of his defense. He's going to play big minutes this year whether you like it or not, you can fight it all you want but the people who matter realize his value to the team

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thats honestly not bad. Pretty great breakdown.

I think Martin will average more than 20.
He can play 2,3,4.
I think that will cut Gaffney a bit under 20 and Johnson a bit under 10 . In fact I could see Johnson riding pine , not for talent reasons, but Freshman ones.

Obviously its going to be fluid, but your take is a good start.

What's glaring there is its sad that Akok is only getting 10 a game. I hope he makes us all eat a prediction like that. But I cant argue with it at this juncture.

Hurley has mentioned at least once that Akok needs to realize the talent on the roster this season isn't the same as the talent when Akok was a true frosh. Reading between the lines, Hurley's saying Akok needs to improve or get passed by.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom