Hurley Planning on an 8 man rotation | The Boneyard

Hurley Planning on an 8 man rotation

Reaction Score
From today's Courant:
Hurley plans an eight-man rotation where all eight get starter minutes, including the first guard, first forward and maybe the first guard/wing off the bench playing significant roles.
“You want to be in the top eight,” he said, “and if you don’t earn the top eight, you settle into the role we need you in.”

Seems like the 8 are probably: Cole, Hawkins, Gaffney at guards, Martin and Jackson at wing forward, and Whaley, Akok, and Sanogo in the front court.
Perhaps Polley will be sprinkled in here and there. Diggins, Springs, Johnson, and Floyd (Hoping he just redshirts) are probably not going to get many minutes to begin the year

Reaction Score
Going to some awfully upset players. As I have stated before, team chemistry might be an issue

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I just can't see Polley coming back and not having a role. But maybe Jackson and Hawkins have played significantly better.
I keep forgetting about Tyler when I project and think about the upcoming season. He’s been recruited over each of the last 4 seasons but there is always room for a 6’9 guy who can hit over 35% of his threes.

Reaction Score
Polley/Jackson polar opposites. If Jacksons shot, supposed, improvement doesn't show itself in games could be outside the 8. But Polley has to play some D and rebound. If he doesn't do that then he's outside the 8.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
an 8 man rotation with 12 kids who can play may not be the best solution and it will cause chemistry issues
DH better talk to some coaches who have handled this situation on the D1 level because this is all so new to him

Reaction Score
Coaches make statements all the time for purposes other than that they are true. Motivating players. Relaxing fanbases. Getting reporters off their backs.

I get why people want to analyze these statements, but remember that Hurley doesn't necessarily believe these words as they come out of his mouth, and that's before even considering how much his view of the team could change between now and the trip to the Bahamas.

Reaction Score
Starter like minutes means to me close to 25 minutes a game. 8x25=200. If I was a starter I want more than 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
Going to some awfully upset players. As I have stated before, team chemistry might be an issue
This is the best possible thing for the team, for any team. UConn went all these recent years with no real competition for minutes and they weren't any good because of it we, they finally have it now. There's a lot of very good players who are going to battle for minutes, that's what pushes teams to be better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Coaches make statements all the time for purposes other than that they are true. Motivating players. Relaxing fanbases. Getting reporters off their backs.

I get why people want to analyze these statements, but remember that Hurley doesn't necessarily believe these words as they come out of his mouth, and that's before even considering how much his view of the team could change between now and the trip to the Bahamas.
Yeah Hurley is even less reliable than Calhoun in terms of the odds of getting anything meaningful or truth-based out of his comments. I have found it most healthy to put zero stock in what he says, and a lot of stock in what he does.

Reaction Score
I keep forgetting about Tyler when I project and think about the upcoming season. He’s been recruited over each of the last 4 seasons but there is always room for a 6’9 guy who can hit over 35% of his threes.
Problem is he doesnt do much of anything else and is a horrendous defensive player so when does he get minutes? I mean hes got to see minutes because he can shoot but his minutes will need to be first half let him get a few shots and if hes hot he gets more if not he rides the pine the rest of the night.

Reaction Score
Starter like minutes means to me close to 25 minutes a game. 8x25=200. If I was a starter I want more than 25 minutes.
This wont be for the season. I think the 8 will make up the rotations hes going to work until he finds one that really clicks and thatll be the 5 going forward and theyll ultimately see the most minutes.

Reaction Score
Obviously not wishing for it, but with the intensity of practices and games you have to figure there'll be one or two guys at least nicked up enough to be out for some games. We'll need and be better off with a long and effective bench. Let's wear out other teams with physicality and running fast!

Reaction Score
Polley/Jackson polar opposites. If Jacksons shot, supposed, improvement doesn't show itself in games could be outside the 8. But Polley has to play some D and rebound. If he doesn't do that then he's outside the 8.
If Jackson had Polley’s shot he would have been gone already
If Polley had Jackson’s athleticism he would be gone also .
So we would have two less guys to worry about playing time.
Their imperfections are fine with me me because watching kids work on improving their weaknesses and growing as players is one of the things I love about college basketball.
It’s a long season and unforeseen things happen. It will work out.

Reaction Score
From today's Courant:
Hurley plans an eight-man rotation where all eight get starter minutes, including the first guard, first forward and maybe the first guard/wing off the bench playing significant roles.
“You want to be in the top eight,” he said, “and if you don’t earn the top eight, you settle into the role we need you in.”

Seems like the 8 are probably: Cole, Hawkins, Gaffney at guards, Martin and Jackson at wing forward, and Whaley, Akok, and Sanogo in the front court.
Perhaps Polley will be sprinkled in here and there. Diggins, Springs, Johnson, and Floyd (Hoping he just redshirts) are probably not going to get many minutes to begin the year
Hurley has already said Polley will be playing starter like minutes, so if there's 8 he's gonna be one of the 8

Reaction Score
I see 8 man rotation come tourney time but we have so many cupcakes early I see a lot of players eating

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm not convinced he means 8. I suspect he's keeping the competitiveness juices high.

But that's just me.

Also could mean 8 man rotation but not necessarily the same eight every game.

As others have mentioned, Sanogo, Whaley and Cole are penciled in. Martin looks to be solid as the #4. Short of foul trouble I see each of them getting 20+ every game. I think Sanogo, Whaley and Cole will be north of 25 minutes. So, I'll go 27+27+27+22. That's 103.

That leaves the four of Akok, Jackson, Polley, Gaffney and Hawkins fighting for the minutes for four spots each night and a total of 97 minutes. IF all five played equally that's still 19 minutes apiece each game. Not unreasonable to see one of those five just not clicking or meshing with team based on opponent and some nights getting 20+ minutes and some nights getting 6-8.

Diggins has been dinged up and seems to be the obvious choice of odd man out of the guards. Springs is odd man out up front. Between Akok and Johnson between a rotation player, I'll go with Akok. If Floyd can give anything this year, it's a bonus.

Also, as should be stated every season, injuries have a marvelous way of making it all work out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom