Hurley Planning on an 8 man rotation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Planning on an 8 man rotation

Reaction Score
I don't believe this.

Our team is deeeeep and if we have a shortened bench, it wouldn't be until deep into the BET and March Madness.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Hurley recruits winners. Maybe Kentucky & Duke who are filled with a bunch of prima donnas would have “chemistry” issues over playing time. But Hurley recruits high character. Don’t expect someone not getting minutes to effect the team chemistry.

Reaction Score
Eight guys will get starter-like minutes (more or less), ten guys will be around double digit minutes. Five players are not going to sit around doing nothing. C’mon, now.
Why not? I am pretty sure the two best teams in the country last year played no more than 8 guys meaningful minutes. Having a 10 man rotation just so guys aren't "sitting around doing nothing" does not seem like the best way to win basketball games.

Reaction Score
i think calling his plan an "8-man rotation" is a little misleading -- if you watch the entire media availability, he talks about playing 10 guys, with the first big, first guard, and first wing off the bench getting starter-level minutes. seems to indicate that these roles are going to be flexible and will have a lot to do with how guys (especially the freshmen) distinguish themselves in the coming weeks.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hurley has traditionally leaned on small lineups, so I would think the forwards will be the ones getting cut back. Carlton averaged 11 mpg last year (which doesn't include a couple of DNP's) yet he is good enough to be recruited by one of last year's Final Four teams.

Reaction Score
I think the big question is who will be those 8 guys right now. Seems fairl

Likely sitting:
  • Springs
  • Diggins
  • Floyd

Definitely in the 8 (IMO or from reports...):
  • Cole
  • Sanogo
  • Whaley
  • Hawkins
  • Akok

... one of these guys isn't going to get starter-type minutes... your guess is as good as mine. Maybe Gaffney if we use him purely as a backup PG.
  • Polley
  • Gaffney
  • Rese
  • Jackson

Reaction Score
Cole, Whaley, Sanogo, Jackson, Akok, Martin, Hawkins are all playing.
Gaffney will have to play as the back up pg - thats 8 already
Which leaves Polley out of the "top 8"... and it is hard to see him not being involved. Very Interesting.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Likely sitting:
  • Springs
  • Diggins
  • Floyd

• Cole
  • Sanogo
  • Whaley
  • Hawkins
  • Akok

... one of these guys isn't going to get starter-type minutes... your guess is as good as mine. Maybe Gaffney if we use him purely as a backup PG.
  • Polley
  • Gaffney
  • Rese
  • Jackson

All reports put Martin in the second group. No mention of Johnson?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cole, Whaley, Sanogo, Jackson, Akok, Martin, Hawkins are all playing.
Gaffney will have to play as the back up pg - thats 8 already
Which leaves Polley out of the "top 8"... and it is hard to see him not being involved. Very Interesting.

Really see this shaping up as a 3 fighting for 2 spots between Polley, Gaff and Jackson.

Might even convince me it's 4 fighting for 3 spots with Akok fighting for starters minutes.

Reaction Score
Going to some awfully upset players. As I have stated before, team chemistry might be an issue

an 8 man rotation with 12 kids who can play may not be the best solution and it will cause chemistry issues
DH better talk to some coaches who have handled this situation on the D1 level because this is all so new to him

Yeah, because bad team chemistry has been a hallmark of all of Coach Hurley's teams.

In fact, one of the best things about Hurley's programs has been the culture & chemistry.

God, some of you BY'ers are so insufferable & unintentionally/intentionally daft.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Hurley has traditionally leaned on small lineups, so I would think the forwards will be the ones getting cut back. Carlton averaged 11 mpg last year (which doesn't include a couple of DNP's) yet he is good enough to be recruited by one of last year's Final Four teams.
I'm honestly impressed you somehow managed to make this about Carlton.

Reaction Score
Really see this shaping up as a 3 fighting for 2 spots between Polley, Gaff and Jackson.

Might even convince me it's 4 fighting for 3 spots with Akok fighting for starters minutes.
Maybe. My guess is that jackson is a starter though.

Reaction Score
All reports put Martin in the second group. No mention of Johnson?

Forgot him. I'd think he's probably in the 10mpg-ish group.

All reports definitely do not have Johnson in that second group.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Likely sitting:
  • Springs
  • Diggins
  • Floyd

• Cole
  • Sanogo
  • Whaley
  • Hawkins
  • Akok

• Polley
  • Gaffney
  • Rese
  • Jackson

You are missing Martin from the "definite" category and Johnson altogether. Martin probably as definite as anyone other than Cole and Sanogo. I don't think Polley will get starter minutes or anything close to it. Gaffney may not either. Jackson almost certainly will.

Cole
Sanogo
Martin
Whaley
Akok
Jackson
Hawkins
Gaffney

That's my projected 8. Polley and Johnson in the next category getting some minutes.

Reaction Score
Houston also returned 1 player 6’8 or above. They needed a big. We had a plethora of them

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Houston also returned 1 player 6’8 or above. They needed a big. We had a plethora of them
And all reports have Carlton being the 4th big on the depth chart there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
i think calling his plan an "8-man rotation" is a little misleading -- if you watch the entire media availability, he talks about playing 10 guys, with the first big, first guard, and first wing off the bench getting starter-level minutes. seems to indicate that these roles are going to be flexible and will have a lot to do with how guys (especially the freshmen) distinguish themselves in the coming weeks.
And match-ups. Everyone needs to be ready, even those not in the current 8.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are missing Martin from the "definite" category and Johnson altogether. Martin probably as definite as anyone other than Cole and Sanogo. I don't think Polley will get starter minutes or anything close to it. Gaffney may not either. Jackson almost certainly will.

Cole
Sanogo
Martin
Whaley
Akok
Jackson
Hawkins
Gaffney

That's my projected 8. Polley and Johnson in the next category getting some minutes.
Bingo, I think that's exactly how things look at this point. Polley will get minutes but not a long leash, if he isn't making threes he will sit.

Reaction Score
Just a thought: If Johnson really becomes a lottery pick, as Hurley has been predicting, that means he will most likely be gone after 2 years, at most. It would be a shame if the first of those 2 years was spent on the bench. On the other hand, is he really good enough to become a lottery pick if he can't force Hurley to play him (with a high usage rate) in his first season?

Reaction Score
My guess is that 9 guys will play a lot. They are the predictable 9. Samson will be the 10th. He will play sparingly perhaps, especially at the beginning, but he's too talented to not get a taste every so often to get some game development and kept happy. May pay dividends down the road with foul trouble and/or injuries.

Reaction Score

Cole
Sanogo
Martin
Whaley
Akok
Jackson
Hawkins
Gaffney

I know, grain of salt and everything with what Hurley says, but if we're analyzing Hurley's comments about 8 guys getting starters minutes we can't just ignore this

Reaction Score
DH is just calling it like he sees it as of today--A snapshot of where they're at. The season is a motion picture that ebbs and flows over a series of games.

DH has maintained that his coaching philosophy about PT is dictated by the play/effort of his guys in practice and in games.

He's got a deep and competitive roster. Let's see who wants to play. 8 is just a number

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The more I read this thread, I'm starting to believe this is just a motivational quote from DH. There's just no way we dont go at least 9 deep to start the season. The rotation could absolutely be shortened by BE/NCAA tournaments, and perhaps some by conference play, but he's gonna let the guys lose in the cupcake non conference games.

Reaction Score
Best use of Polley is as a hot hand.

Let him take a few shots; if he’s hot he stays in and if he’s not he needs to get off the court
Or as a decoy
When you prepare a team for UConn Polley is a guy you identify.
When he became a top option , closer guarding of him effected his shot selection. If a guy 30 years removed from the game understands this so does a D1 coach. Polley has to do a better job of identifying the read and giving it up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom