Hurley on Coaching Rumors | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley on Coaching Rumors

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
14EFA9CE-6735-4444-87E6-56DB507FA558.jpeg

#HurleyWatch

Only saw one Pitt fan there, but caught a bunch of dirty looks from URI fans who noticed my UConn polo.

In other news, I saw Duke fans arguing about where they felt they were entitled to sit prior to their shoot around. Its always heartwarming to get reminders of just how miserable their fans are

Reaction Score
View attachment 29412

#HurleyWatch

Only saw one Pitt fan there, but caught a bunch of dirty looks from URI fans who noticed my UConn polo.

In other news, I saw Duke fans arguing about where they felt they were entitled to sit prior to their shoot around. Its always heartwarming to get reminders of just how miserable their fans are
Hahaha dirty looks we are used to that. Fans are jealous of UConn and how fast we grew as a powerhouse. Plus keep recruiting him lol

Reaction Score
I don't really understand what UConn's selling point would be to Dan Hurley. I want him as much as the next guy but the A10 and AAC are comparable conferences while URI is nationally relevant and UConn is not at this point. Yes, we could offer him more money as URI barely pays him anything, but if he is looking for money, I feel as though there are P5 schools that could offer this guy more. If he is looking from a basketball perspective, URI is in much better shape currently from a national standpoint than UConn. Essentially, why would a guy like Dan Hurley want to come to UConn right now?

New member, most likely a RI fan... but this is just an awful take. AAC got three teams in higher seeds than the highest A-10 seed. A-10 was a one bid league last year. AAC has never been fewer than two.

Reaction Score
Of all the small things the NCAA can penalize, one thing they are not doing is outlawing talks of coaching changes before the season ends. It hurts the kids IMO. This is not fair to the URI team, even if I would love it if the coach did come over.

But I think they should make efforts to outlaw this. I mean, if they are limiting all sorts of other things like texts and stuff.

Reaction Score
This is one hell of a take.

So because URI has been better for two years, they’re more nationally relevant? UConn is a historical program. Of course they’re at a low point, they’re firing a coach. It’s asinine to say that makes URI the better job.

UConn has been a top 15 paying school for a long time for basketball. I don’t think Pitt would offer any more money than UConn.

Hurley is a really promising coach, but let’s not act like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas or UNC would be at his door if they needed a coach. A program like UConn or Pitt is the logical next step for him.

Sorry. that's trolling.

We can argue how much better the AAC is than the A-Ten. But to argue that URI as a program is anywhere near UConn? Because it had two decent years?

Reaction Score
Of all the small things the NCAA can penalize, one thing they are not doing is outlawing talks of coaching changes before the season ends. It hurts the kids IMO. This is not fair to the URI team, even if I would love it if the coach did come over.

But I think they should make efforts to outlaw this. I mean, if they are limiting all sorts of other things like texts and stuff.
It is primarily the fans that keep the narrative going and you can't outlaw them. The NCAA has no control over fans so a law or rule would have no teeth.

Reaction Score
I don't really understand what UConn's selling point would be to Dan Hurley. I want him as much as the next guy but the A10 and AAC are comparable conferences while URI is nationally relevant and UConn is not at this point. Yes, we could offer him more money as URI barely pays him anything, but if he is looking for money, I feel as though there are P5 schools that could offer this guy more. If he is looking from a basketball perspective, URI is in much better shape currently from a national standpoint than UConn. Essentially, why would a guy like Dan Hurley want to come to UConn right now?

I disagree with everything in this post. The Atlantic 10 and the AAC are NOT comparable. The AAC, with UCONN and Memphis down this year, have a 2 seed (Cincinnati), a 4 seed (Wichita State) and a 6 seed (Houston) in this year's bracket. The A-10 has an 7 seed (URI), an 11 seed (St. Bonaventure) and a 12 seed (Davidson). Had URI not lost to Davidson, they would have been a 2 bid league. URI has been good for two years while UCONN has won 3 National Championships in the last 14 years and 4 National Championships in the last 19 years. The Atlantic 10 has won zero National Championships...for as long as it has been a league.

It is always better to be the guy that replaces the guy that replaced the legend than to be the guy that replaces the legend. Danny Hurley has proven himself to be a program builder (Wagner and URI) and has demonstrated an ability to recruit. He would be a great get for UCONN, but we shall see how things develop.

Reaction Score

This is incredibly stupid

Reaction Score
It is primarily the fans that keep the narrative going and you can't outlaw them. The NCAA has no control over fans so a law or rule would have no teeth.

You can't outlaw talk of coaching changes. You can certainly ban one school actually negotiating with another school's coach during the season. Frankly, it's absurd the NCAA doesn't bar that.

Reaction Score
View attachment 29412

#HurleyWatch

Any DB sightings?

Reaction Score
Don't forget: almost every player in the URI rotation is a senior. The majority of his kids are leaving next year no matter what happens in the tournament and no matter what their coach decides to do in the offseason. Pretty good time for him to choose to take a better job.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don't forget: almost every player in the URI rotation is a senior. The majority of his kids are leaving next year no matter what happens in the tournament and no matter what their coach decides to do in the offseason. Pretty good time for him to choose to take a better job.

And zero of our better players are seniors, even if one did decide to leave.

Reaction Score
New member, most likely a RI fan... but this is just an awful take. AAC got three teams in higher seeds than the highest A-10 seed. A-10 was a one bid league last year. AAC has never been fewer than two.

The A-10 has been a 3-6 bid league since the AAC’s inception. Never a one bid league in that time period. It has more bids than the AAC since the AAC inception. Why all the inaccurate facts about the A-10?

Reaction Score
You can't outlaw talk of coaching changes. You can certainly ban one school actually negotiating with another school's coach during the season. Frankly, it's absurd the NCAA doesn't bar that.
In general I agree but schools would hire search firms to contact coaches without naming names but both parties would know who was who. I guess they could pass a rule prohibiting coaches from talking. End of season should be soon enough to get the job done.
Edsall bolting on his team immediately after a bowl game still bothers me and there is no way UConn should have rehired him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Personally, I’d choose Pitt.

If the money's the same, UCONN is still the better job.

Quite frankly, the only thing Pitt has over UCONN is conference. And yet, it's much harder for a school like Pitt to win and dance in the ACC.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
-I would argue an easier path to NCAA tournament, as I don't think Cinci/Houston/WSU will be as good next year
The ACC has nine teams in the tournament. The AAC has three.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

But that's because the AAC as a whole wasn't that good this year. Not because there aren't more available. If you are a good team, you are getting in, with likely a good seed. Just perform.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
View attachment 29412

#HurleyWatch

I don't know why, but I love this little mini storyline of Pgh at the URI shootaround. cracks me up

Reaction Score
The A-10 has been a 3-6 bid league since the AAC’s inception. Never a one bid league in that time period. It has more bids than the AAC since the AAC inception. Why all the inaccurate facts about the A-10?
You are correct. But it really doesn’t matter. Saying Rhode Island is a better job than UConn is mental

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It should be easier for UConn to finish in the top 3 in the AAC than the top 9 in the ACC.
It's far easier to win the AAC tournament than the ACC tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom