Hurley on Coaching Rumors | The Boneyard

Hurley on Coaching Rumors

Reaction Score
We will see what happens in the coming weeks. If theres anybody out there that thinks Hurley coming here is a 100% lock, maybe you should come back to reality. Im not saying he wont be the coach, but what we are hearing so far is just speculation and rumors. There is still a long way to go before this is wrapped up.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
We will see what happens in the coming weeks. If theres anybody out there that thinks Hurley coming here is a 100% lock, maybe you should come back to reality. Im not saying he wont be the coach, but what we are hearing so far is just speculation and rumors. There is still a long way to go before this is wrapped up.
He could coach himself into a "better" situation with two tournament wins.

Reaction Score
He could coach himself into a "better" situation with two tournament wins.
What "better" jobs are available that fit what he's looking for? Only one that comes to mind is Louisville and I'm not sure he'd want to touch that situation, much less that he's a Northeast guy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What "better" jobs are available that fit what he's looking for? Only one that comes to mind is Louisville and I'm not sure he'd want to touch that situation, much less that he's a Northeast guy.

None. I'm not sure he'd even want the Pitt job. It's UConn or stay at URI.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
That's much better than "There is no truth to those rumors. I love URI and plan to be here for as long as possible."
And even that type of statement can be safely ignored — see Roy Williams after the ‘03 title game when asked about the UNC job.

Reaction Score
I do feel for Hurley. He has two stresses one try to get wins in the tournament. The second he doesn’t want his team to think he is leaving but it’s bitter sweet for him. I think because he is in Pitt if he does lose early then he will go and start working for UConn. It’s funny but the Charleston coach or Crean should be next for Pitt.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Personally, I’d choose Pitt.
I obviously can't speak for Hurley, but at UConn,

-Wouldn't have to move family
-I would argue an easier path to NCAA tournament, as I don't think Cinci/Houston/WSU will be as good next year
-Winningest program, in terms of titles, in the last 20 years
-Somewhat of a relationship with Calhoun(?)
-His buddy Tom Moore would likely love to tag along

If Hurley's number 1 factor is coaching in the best possible conference, then we are doomed.
But if other factors take precedent, then we are in good shape compared to Pitt. If he wants to leave URI in the first place, that is...

Reaction Score
URI fans are in huge denial right now. On twitter they are taking these comments to mean he's staying. I simply said 'he didn't come out and say 'I'm staying'' and one guy basically said no chance he's leaving, etc etc Yikes

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Can’t blame them for wanting to stay focused on the tournament and hope he’ll be there forever, but it is naive to put any stock in these types of media statements.

Reaction Score
URI fans are in huge denial right now. On twitter they are taking these comments to mean he's staying. I simply said 'he didn't come out and say 'I'm staying'' and one guy basically said no chance he's leaving, etc etc Yikes
Yeah they are in for it. Because the job was never posted I believe they already have the coach ready. URI fans have it coming to them. If URI loses, Friday we could possibly see Hurley to UConn

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I don't really understand what UConn's selling point would be to Dan Hurley. I want him as much as the next guy but the A10 and AAC are comparable conferences while URI is nationally relevant and UConn is not at this point. Yes, we could offer him more money as URI barely pays him anything, but if he is looking for money, I feel as though there are P5 schools that could offer this guy more. If he is looking from a basketball perspective, URI is in much better shape currently from a national standpoint than UConn. Essentially, why would a guy like Dan Hurley want to come to UConn right now?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't really understand what UConn's selling point would be to Dan Hurley. I want him as much as the next guy but the A10 and AAC are comparable conferences while URI is nationally relevant and UConn is not at this point. Yes, we could offer him more money as URI barely pays him anything, but if he is looking for money, I feel as though there are P5 schools that could offer this guy more. If he is looking from a basketball perspective, URI is in much better shape currently from a national standpoint than UConn. Essentially, why would a guy like Dan Hurley want to come to UConn right now?

FAIL. The AAC is ten times the conference the A10 is. It's better than the Pac was this year. UConn is the best job open right now, including Louisville (which may get huge sanctions). Better than Georgia or Pitt. Better than 75% of "P5" jobs.

Reaction Score
This is one hell of a take.

So because URI has been better for two years, they’re more nationally relevant? UConn is a historical program. Of course they’re at a low point, they’re firing a coach. It’s asinine to say that makes URI the better job.

UConn has been a top 15 paying school for a long time for basketball. I don’t think Pitt would offer any more money than UConn.

Hurley is a really promising coach, but let’s not act like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas or UNC would be at his door if they needed a coach. A program like UConn or Pitt is the logical next step for him.

Reaction Score
Or coach himself out of the UConn job with a dismal performance.
It makes it tough to watch the URI games. I'd like to see his team play great and exhibit the traits we want to see in our team but the longer URI goes, the more risk he may not come here. I don't personally think that Benedict wouldn't hire him if URI loses. We're accustomed to dismal performances the past 4 years anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom