Hurley on Coaching Rumors | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley on Coaching Rumors

Reaction Score
What, exactly, was factually inaccurate in the post you quoted?

That the A-10 was a one bid league last year which is factually incorrect obviously. Somebody also said the AAC was ten times better than the A-10 which is interesting since it has less NCAA bids than the A-10 since its inception ‍♂️. Maybe on court results don’t matter in terms of who is better these days, or ten times better, who knows.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That the A-10 was a one bid league last year which is factually incorrect obviously. Somebody also said the AAC was ten times better than the A-10 which is interesting since it has less NCAA bids than the A-10 since its inception ‍♂️. Maybe on court results don’t matter in terms of who is better these days, or ten times better, who knows.
Can't just leave it there, post links showing the respective bids.

TJT

Reaction Score
Can't just leave it there, post links showing the respective bids.

I listed it in an earlier post yesterday.

The A-10 has sent more teams to the tournament (18 for the A-10 and 15 for the AAC) and has actually also earned more NCAA units (24-22) than the AAC even with UConn's 2014 national championship. The AAC trumps the A-10 with a national championship but comes up short on other NCAA Tournament performance metrics.

NCAA BIDS AND UNITS BY LEAGUE SINCE 2014
2014 AAC: 4 (11 units*) / A-10: 6 (10 units)
2015 AAC: 2 (3 units) / A-10: 3 (5 units)
2016 AAC: 4 (5 units) / A-10: 3 (5 units)
2017 AAC: 2 (3 units) / A-10: 3 (4 units)
2018 AAC: 3 / A-10: 3
TOTAL AAC: 15 (22 units) / A-10: 18 (24 units)

* UConn National Championship

Reaction Score
Anyone else wondering that if we land Hurley and he is as successful as we hope, he becomes the next name mentioned to replace Ratface, Roy, Squid, etc. I realize you never not pursue your top choice because of this, but I can't get the thought out of my head and remain enamored with guys that would view UConn as their job of a lifetime.
Let’s hope he lands here and he’s that successful.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Anyone else wondering that if we land Hurley and he is as successful as we hope, he becomes the next name mentioned to replace Ratface, Roy, Squid, etc. I realize you never not pursue your top choice because of this, but I can't get the thought out of my head and remain enamored with guys that would view UConn as their job of a lifetime.

That was supposed to be Ollie, an alum who bleeds blue.

The reality is there probably won't be another Calhoun, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
I don't really understand what UConn's selling point would be to Dan Hurley. I want him as much as the next guy but the A10 and AAC are comparable conferences while URI is nationally relevant and UConn is not at this point. Yes, we could offer him more money as URI barely pays him anything, but if he is looking for money, I feel as though there are P5 schools that could offer this guy more. If he is looking from a basketball perspective, URI is in much better shape currently from a national standpoint than UConn. Essentially, why would a guy like Dan Hurley want to come to UConn right now?

You are beyond delusional. In my reading on ESPN to brush up to fill out brackets, I saw a story about "who is this year's Kemba Walker" which talks about what star player could will their under the radar team to a national title, the way Walker did in 2011 or Napier did in 2014 also at Connecticut. So since URI has been good for 2 years and we sucked, tons of people talk about URI nationally and don't know UConn??

Hand in your UConn T-shirts brother, we don't need you anymore, go root for URI

Reaction Score
That was supposed to be Ollie, an alum who bleeds blue.

The reality is there probably won't be another Calhoun, unfortunately.
I agree, who cares about if we keep Hurley (if hired and if successful) forever, let's just have him come here and be successful... if we lose him to a bigger name job in 5-10 years, I can live with that

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I listed it in an earlier post yesterday.

The A-10 has sent more teams to the tournament (18 for the A-10 and 15 for the AAC) and has actually also earned more NCAA units (24-22) than the AAC even with UConn's 2014 national championship. The AAC trumps the A-10 with a national championship but comes up short on other NCAA Tournament performance metrics.

NCAA BIDS AND UNITS BY LEAGUE SINCE 2014
2014 AAC: 4 (11 units*) / A-10: 6 (10 units)
2015 AAC: 2 (3 units) / A-10: 3 (5 units)
2016 AAC: 4 (5 units) / A-10: 3 (5 units)
2017 AAC: 2 (3 units) / A-10: 3 (4 units)
2018 AAC: 3 / A-10: 3
TOTAL AAC: 15 (22 units) / A-10: 18 (24 units)

* UConn National Championship

Are you including Wichita State in those numbers? Have you considered TV exposure?

In a season when URI was good, and UConn terrible (not counting conf tournament games):
  • URI was on ESPNU 7 times (that was the most exposure, ESPN's 4th rated network). CBSSN 6 times.
  • UConn was on CBS 2 times, ESPN 5 times, ESPN2 5 times, ESPN News 4 times, ESPNU 3 times, CBSSN 6 times.
I'm not saying the A-10 sucks. It's a good mid major league. Always has been. But the AAC is primed to be a power basketball league once UConn, Memphis and Temple return to form.

Reaction Score
I agree, who cares about if we keep Hurley (if hired and if successful) forever, let's just have him come here and be successful... if we lose him to a bigger name job in 5-10 years, I can live with that
Even Kansas lost a coach to another school. They'd still rather have had Roy Williams for those years than not, I'm sure.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

It's a concern, but it's also a long way down the road. In order for Hurley to be a hot coaching candidate for the big guys, he would have to come here and consistently put UConn in the top 10 or take us on a deep tournament run. With where the program stands today, I wouldn't mind being in that position in the future.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
3D726944-B2E4-4A75-AB56-208092347B69.jpeg

Annnnd we’re off

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

If someone comes here and is very successful, they are going to draw a lot of interest, no matter who they are. That's a good thing.

We do not want it the other way around.

Reaction Score
You can't outlaw talk of coaching changes. You can certainly ban one school actually negotiating with another school's coach during the season. Frankly, it's absurd the NCAA doesn't bar that.
@businesslawyer How would such a hypothetical NCAA ban impact or prevent a coach's agent, attorney, father, etc. speaking with and negotiating a contract on behalf of a client? Any time, pre-, during, or post- season?

Reaction Score
@businesslawyer How would such a hypothetical NCAA ban impact or prevent a coach's agent, attorney, father, etc. speaking with and negotiating a contract on behalf of a client? Any time, pre-, during, or post- season?

How does the NBA ban it? If you don't get caught, it is what it is. And you can't control what your father does. But how many people are going to lie under oath about the contacts they had with the coach and whether they were an intermediary? And if the schools know they face heavy penalty for taking those calls, they have to worry about it being worth it.

Reaction Score
How does the NBA ban it? If you don't get caught, it is what it is. And you can't control what your father does. But how many people are going to lie under oath about the contacts they had with the coach and whether they were an intermediary? And if the schools know they face heavy penalty for taking those calls, they have to worry about it being worth it.
@businesslawyer Potentially lying under oath is acknowledged as a reasonable concern. However, I suspect far more casual conversations about more than today's weather occur between schools and prospective coaches' representatives than we may like to believe. Ban it? Maybe, perhaps even more by a future institute replacing the ever credible NCAA ...

Reaction Score
@businesslawyer Potentially lying under oath is acknowledged as a reasonable concern. However, I suspect far more casual conversations about more than today's weather occur between schools and prospective coaches' representatives than we may like to believe. Ban it? Maybe, perhaps even more by a future institute replacing the ever credible NCAA ...

I repeat, how does the NBA ban it? Obviously, you don't weed out supersecret conversations, but you don't let anyone breath a word of it because if you do punishments will be severe. There is no reason the NCAA can't be as firm on this as the NBA.

Reaction Score
I repeat, how does the NBA ban it? Obviously, you don't weed out supersecret conversations, but you don't let anyone breath a word of it because if you do punishments will be severe. There is no reason the NCAA can't be as firm on this as the NBA.
Haven't the fogiest idea about much of anything regarding the NBA, but if they've managed to contain, likely not entirely control, coaches' agents and franchises negotiating perhaps it's a model down the road for college ball. Unfortunately, I've lost much confidence in far too much about college athletics, coaches, athletics' administration, and in particular, the NCAA. Hence, the reference to a possible new start with a new entity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom