Hurley on Coaching Rumors | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley on Coaching Rumors

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If the money's the same, UCONN is still the better job.
I posted that mostly to troll; I would let myself be courted by both (and perhaps a few other suitors) and then decide, based on a variety of factors; the conference, expectations, facilities and "feel" among them.

As for the money, the conventional wisdom appears to be that Pitt will be in position to offer more. Even if the money is the same, the taxes and cost of living could make a big difference (although I know @storrsroars told me last year that Pittsburgh real estate has risen dramatically in the past few years).

I have zero insight on recruiting connections and how that factors into the analysis, but in terms of a place to raise a family, I also think the Pittsburgh area has a lot to offer and Pittsburgh itself is a very cool city imo. And dare I say, perhaps better positioned for economic prosperity for the near and long term?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But that's because the AAC as a whole wasn't that good this year. Not because there aren't more available. If you are a good team, you are getting in, with likely a good seed. Just perform.

It should be easier for UConn to finish in the top 3 in the AAC than the top 9 in the ACC.
It's far easier to win the AAC tournament than the ACC tournament.

Syracuse made it this year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I posted that mostly to troll; I would let myself be courted by both (and perhaps a few other suitors) and then decide, based on a variety of factors; the conference, expectations, facilities and "feel" among them.

As for the money, the conventional wisdom appears to be that Pitt will be in position to offer more. Even if the money is the same, the taxes and cost of living could make a big difference (although I know @storrsroars told me last year that Pittsburgh real estate has risen dramatically in the past few years).

I have zero insight on recruiting connections and how that factors into the analysis, but in terms of a place to raise a family, I also think the Pittsburgh area has a lot to offer and Pittsburgh itself is a very cool city imo. And dare I say, perhaps better positioned for economic prosperity for the near and long term?

Pitt is basically starting from scratch. They have none of their old NYC pipeline and are well removed from having any kind of "personality" other than boring Jamie Dixon ball. I don't know where Hurley has had his greatest successes in recruiting, but how well he can do in the NYC metro would be a key. Outside of the Ivies, Pitt is one of the most urban campuses in the East and country and suburban kids don't do nearly as well as city kids.

Pitt also talked to Tom Crean within the past week. And with Matta declining Georgia, I think those are the top two targets with Hurley perhaps third. Heather Lyke's connections are B1G and I'd assume she'd go there to fill the job.

Last edited:

TJT

Reaction Score
New member, most likely a RI fan... but this is just an awful take. AAC got three teams in higher seeds than the highest A-10 seed. A-10 was a one bid league last year. AAC has never been fewer than two.

I was curious as to the two leagues NCAA history since the AAC came into being. I was a bit surprised by what I found when I looked things up.

The A-10 has sent more teams to the tournament (18 for the A-10 and 15 for the AAC) and has actually also earned more NCAA units (24-22) than the AAC even with UConn's 2014 national championship. The AAC trumps the A-10 with a national championship but comes up short on other NCAA Tournament performance metrics.

NCAA BIDS AND UNITS BY LEAGUE SINCE 2014
2014 AAC: 4 (11 units*) / A-10: 6 (10 units)
2015 AAC: 2 (3 units) / A-10: 3 (5 units)
2016 AAC: 4 (5 units) / A-10: 3 (5 units)
2017 AAC: 2 (3 units) / A-10: 3 (4 units)
2018 AAC: 3 / A-10: 3
TOTAL AAC: 15 (22 units) / A-10: 18 (24 units)

* UConn National Championship

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yeah they are in for it. Because the job was never posted I believe they already have the coach ready. URI fans have it coming to them. If URI loses, Friday we could possibly see Hurley to UConn

It would be like the old Yankee Conference days when they were our arch rival and we used to routinely kidnap the Rhody ram mascot. He spent plenty of time grazing in Storrs. If we pull this off we get to keep "The Ramnapping Trophy" in perpetuity, with Hurley's name on it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Even if the money is the same, the taxes and cost of living could make a big difference (although I know @storrsroars told me last year that Pittsburgh real estate has risen dramatically in the past few years).

In a vacuum, those are good points, but Hurley's family and connections are all in the Northeast. That's big.

I'm not certain how much cost of living affects a coaching decision, but I'm guessing not much. They do so well, that it becomes moot. CT has great schools if DH decides to move his kids, so there's that.

Reaction Score
Just him saying the right things
EXACTLY!!!! What else could he possibly say in public? Has zero merit.

Am a little surprised he admitted this happens every year. He's that good, or he thinks he's that good?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
EXACTLY!!!! What else could he possibly say in public? Has zero merit.

Am a little surprised he admitted this happens every year. He's that good, or he thinks he's that good?

URI has given multiple extensions/upgrades to his contract in the past specifically to hold off on him getting poached. There's been plenty of interest. Maybe not top jobs like UCONN, but interest nonetheless.

Reaction Score
The ACC has nine teams in the tournament. The AAC has three.

If you are going to measure what is the best basketball conference by the number of schools invited and seeding than the Big East wins.... the same % of teams invited to dance as the ACC but two #1 seeds.

Reaction Score
We will see what happens in the coming weeks. If theres anybody out there that thinks Hurley coming here is a 100% lock, maybe you should come back to reality. Im not saying he wont be the coach, but what we are hearing so far is just speculation and rumors. There is still a long way to go before this is wrapped up.
I dont think anyone here thinks its 100% that hes coming here but we`ve seen much stronger denials from coaches that flew the coup. I honestly would be more surprised by him not taking the job then by taking it. A guy like Hurley takes a URI job knowing and hoping that someday its a stepping stone to the big jobs.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Don't forget: almost every player in the URI rotation is a senior. The majority of his kids are leaving next year no matter what happens in the tournament and no matter what their coach decides to do in the offseason. Pretty good time for him to choose to take a better job.
Yeah they are
And due to that I wonder out loud what has happened to that team in the last 2-3 weeks
They are not peaking when they should be
I talked to a business associate who is a URI alum he doesn't like Hurley as a game coach but says he is good at recruiting middle of the road (3*) guys and developing them in 4 years.
He is a URI season ticket holder and says there is a lot of talk of Hurley leaving but there is that buyout

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Obviously we're probably not going to get much info until after URI is eliminated, but have we seen anything definitive that UConn is interested in Hurley? I'm sure we are, but has any reporter actually stated that "sources say UConn is eyeing Hurley" or anything like that?

Reaction Score
Yeah they are in for it. Because the job was never posted I believe they already have the coach ready. URI fans have it coming to them. If URI loses, Friday we could possibly see Hurley to UConn

The job must be posted at some point in time. I'm sure it will be posted for a short time once the legal beagles in Labor Relations & Human Resources have the i's dotted & t's crossed, plus, there's really no hurry to post if Hurley is the target & URI is still playing. Bunch of back room stuff going to be ready to pounce when they can.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Saying “they know where my head is at” is far different from “they know I am not going anywhere,” or “they know I am where I want to be.” Coach speak.

"They know I'm gone"

Reaction Score
I think Hurley either comes to UCONN (if offered) or stays at URI (family related).

Anyone else wondering that if we land Hurley and he is as successful as we hope, he becomes the next name mentioned to replace Ratface, Roy, Squid, etc. I realize you never not pursue your top choice because of this, but I can't get the thought out of my head and remain enamored with guys that would view UConn as their job of a lifetime.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The A-10 has been a 3-6 bid league since the AAC’s inception. Never a one bid league in that time period. It has more bids than the AAC since the AAC inception. Why all the inaccurate facts about the A-10?

What, exactly, was factually inaccurate in the post you quoted?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom