Hurley mentions Possible Starting Lineup Change | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hurley mentions Possible Starting Lineup Change

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sorry, I misunderstood. It just takes every rebound in a game and designates it offensive and defensive. Turnovers are not factored in the denominator for OReb or DReb%; like you said that wouldn’t make sense.
Thanks for being patient with me. Defensive rebounds opportunities are lost when we cause an opposing turnover. The number of total rebounds is decreased certainly but the loss to defensive rebounds - the numerator - gets hurt to a greater degree.

Maine out rebounded UConn but those 24 turnovers were a significant reason for that. That would certainly hurt UConn in the defensive rebounding category if I understand what you have told me.

Thanks for posting all this information.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Not sure who tabulates this. When CV and BA have been the two guard in the lineup, BA has been the PG and CV the SG. I don't think CV has any minutes at the point this year, certainly not 22% of our PG minutes.
From my observation they have interchanged the role making it difficult for defenses to know who the primary is.

Reaction Score
Thanks for being patient with me. Defensive rebounds opportunities are lost when we cause an opposing turnover. The number of total rebounds is decreased certainly but the loss to defensive rebounds - the numerator - gets hurt to a greater degree.

Maine out rebounded UConn but those 24 turnovers were a significant reason for that. That would certainly hurt UConn in the defensive rebounding category if I understand what you have told me.

Thanks for posting all this information.

Yes, you're correct. Anyone still using raw "rebounding margin" is a fool and intentionally ignorant at this point. The KenPom stuff is based on %'s as you thought it might be. For individuals it's based on the number of rebounds while you're on the court and the percentage that you get. For teams it's the overall % of gotten vs. available as a team. It's usually split into offensive and defensive.

And your guess is correct. We were more effective rebounding our chances on both ends of the court (offensive and defensive) against Maine despite "losing the rebounding battle" in the game. We just had less opportunities. We rebounded ~81% of their misses, which is quite good actually. They grabbed 78%, so we did not do a very good job on the offensive glass despite them being in a zone, but we still did rebound better than them. We missed Sid Wilson in that zone oreb department.

Not sure who tabulates this. When CV and BA have been the two guard in the lineup, BA has been the PG and CV the SG. I don't think CV has any minutes at the point this year, certainly not 22% of our PG minutes.

It's definitely not perfect. There's some sort of secret sauce algorithm for the positions. It's mostly sorted by height and weight, with some deference for assist rate for PG. Vital has a much higher assist rate and is shorter. Vital actually has an assist rate higher than 30+ teams' starting PG.

Reaction Score
If I were Hurley I would start Bouknight over Polley because Polley cant rebound. He only grabbed 2 boards today in 26 minutes. Bouknight is an outstanding rebounder, Particularly on the offensive end. Hurley doesn’t sub before the first time out at all so who starts does matter, our starters do generally get more playing time and set the tone. Polley played 26 minutes today compared to Bouk’s 19. That should be the other way around.
Bouk positions himself well. He always seems to be in a good spot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes, you're correct. Anyone still using raw "rebounding margin" is a fool and intentionally ignorant at this point. The KenPom stuff is based on %'s as you thought it might be. For individuals it's based on the number of rebounds while you're on the court and the percentage that you get. For teams it's the overall % of gotten vs. available as a team. It's usually split into offensive and defensive.

And your guess is correct. We were more effective rebounding our chances on both ends of the court (offensive and defensive) against Maine despite "losing the rebounding battle" in the game. We just had less opportunities. We rebounded ~81% of their misses, which is quite good actually. They grabbed 78%, so we did not do a very good job on the offensive glass despite them being in a zone, but we still did rebound better than them. We missed Sid Wilson in that zone oreb department.

It's definitely not perfect. There's some sort of secret sauce algorithm for the positions. It's mostly sorted by height and weight, with some deference for assist rate for PG. Vital has a much higher assist rate and is shorter. Vital actually has an assist rate higher than 30+ teams' starting PG.

I do think when those two are in, Vital takes the PG on the defensive end. Adams can play the point on offense and defend the SF position in some situations.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Thank you.

Reaction Score
Agree, Gilbert been underperforming, but lacks a logical replacement. CV underperforming and the best player on the team is his backup. Make the move Dan.
CV leads the team in scoring ,rebounding ,steals and assists, and is shooting 90% from the FT line.
This underperforming has to stop , let’s just sit him down.

l

Reaction Score
And bricks. That's why we have 2 losses.
Exactly, time to pass the torch. We don't need him to be the leader in scoring anymore. He was leading because it was necessary and we had no one else. Now we have guys that are more talented that make us significantly better. Get them more experience now for when we play the tougher games and hopefully the NCAA tourney. It's so important to their development that they make the big dance this year so that next year they can say they have been there done that and will be more ready to make a deep run with confidence.

Reaction Score
Exactly, time to pass the torch. We don't need him to be the leader in scoring anymore. He was leading because it was necessary and we had no one else. Now we have guys that are more talented that make us significantly better. Get them more experience now for when we play the tougher games and hopefully the NCAA tourney. It's so important to their development that they make the big dance this year so that next year they can say they have been there done that and will be more ready to make a deep run with confidence.

CV is instrumental to the success of this team.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
CV is instrumental to the success of this team.
The reason for the two losses were because CV was cold. He's a streak shooter and the problem in the past was no one outside of CV (and Jalen) could step up and fill the void. That is no longer the case. A lot more options available if players go through a bad spell.

Reaction Score
CV’s shot selection was not the reason the team lost. This is just more emotional BS from people who are angry that he happened to come here during a losing era.

He shot a combined 7 for 33 in those 2 losses. I would say his poor shooting/ shot selection played a pretty big role in those losses. 21% shooting while taking lots of shots is factual, not some "emotional BS" . Do you even consider facts before you post?

Both CV and AG have played much better recently, but they played a big part in those two losses shooting a combined 14 for 65. Better shot selection is crucial to becoming a better team and both guys seemed to have gotten the message.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
For those curious, CV passed Doron Sheffer for 28th on the schools all time scoring list last game. Sitting at 1330. If he continues to average 15 ppg for the next 25 games he’ll pass Boatright for 9th all time. Obviously his era coincides with one of the darkest in program history but that is still impressive for a kid who came in with little to no expectations.

Reaction Score
CV leads the team in scoring ,rebounding ,steals and assists, and is shooting 90% from the FT line.
This underperforming has to stop , let’s just sit him down.

l

We've been through this.....scroll up dude.

Reaction Score
He shot a combined 7 for 33 in those 2 losses. I would say his poor shooting/ shot selection played a pretty big role in those losses. 21% shooting while taking lots of shots is factual, not some "emotional BS" . Do you even consider facts before you post?

Both CV and AG have played much better recently, but they played a big part in those two losses shooting a combined 14 for 65. Better shot selection is crucial to becoming a better team and both guys seemed to have gotten the message.

Breaking news - one of teams best players shoots poorly during loss. It's almost as if there's a correlation between one of your best shooters not shooting well and not winning a game. When he finds his shot like he had last season he'll be one of the best players in the conference.

Reaction Score
I don't think most of us are saying he's not a good player, and obviously we still need him to play well and score, but we just don't NEED him to be the man anymore. Uconn is better when CV shoots less strictly because he's only shooting his better looks. That's the perfect kind of guy to play 20 minutes a game, not 30. We need his leadership right now, that doesn't mean he needs to eat up 10 minutes that Bouk and BA should have on the court, who are both better, more talented, and are the future of the team. That's all I'm saying at least.

Reaction Score
Breaking news - one of teams best players shoots poorly during loss. It's almost as if there's a correlation between one of your best shooters not shooting well and not winning a game. When he finds his shot like he had last season he'll be one of the best players in the conference.

One of the best players in the conference. Ok. Exactly how delusional are you?

Reaction Score
One of the best players in the conference. Ok. Exactly how delusional are you?

He shot 52% from 2, and 41% from 3 last year, and had a true shooting percentage of 61.2% which is insanely high for a guard (134 in the country). He’s shooting 98% from the line this year.

How many players average 16 and 10 as a guard while top 10 in the country in steals and FT %? If he brings his shooting back up towards last years numbers he’s a first team all conference player.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

There are so many additional factors–based in statistics and “facts”–which contributed to both losses that you and others choose to ignore because making CV the scapegoat makes you feel good about yourselves.

This is Chief with Dyson all over again.

Reaction Score
He shot 52% from 2, and 41% from 3 last year, and had a true shooting percentage of 61.2% which is insanely high for a guard (134 in the country). He’s shooting 98% from the line this year.

How many players average 16 and 10 as a guard while top 10 in the country in steals and FT %? If he brings his shooting back up towards last years numbers he’s a first team all conference player.

16 and 10? Now you are just making things up.
The real numbers are 14 and 8, and I will bet you the 8 drops to less than 6 as the season wears on.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
The real numbers are 14 and 8, and I will bet you the 8 drops to less than 6 as the season wears on.

no no! hung up on #s !!

Reaction Score
14 and 8? Now you are just making things up.
The real numbers are 14.6 and 8.1

It was 16 and 10 before last game. Sorry I didn't look up the updated numbers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom