"Hurley is eyeing the expected opening at UConn" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Hurley is eyeing the expected opening at UConn"

Reaction Score
Probably right but playing in New England and coaching in NE vs the Huskies could be the reason he would understand the challenge of repairing a program like UConn. He's from NYC and has plenty of money so while yes he would make less, he probably will no matter where he would land. These guys have ego's beyond belief, it may be just the challenge itself that intrigues him.

We can dream, probably not even on the table but wold certainly like it better than any other option if it were.

My point is that Donovan isn't going to willingly walk away from his current situation. If he gets fired who knows, but he's not giving up 3+ million a year to leave by choice.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
No doubt we need someone immediately to try to keep what we have, the recruits committed and work on the players available (transfers, 5ths). So waiting for a Donovan would create a huge gap in the roster more than likely.

If they were gonna do that they’d have to basically hold onto Ollie until June and then fire him and get Donovan.

You have to be VERY confident that Donovan was going to come here to do that.

Reaction Score
If they were gonna do that they’d have to basically hold onto Ollie until June and then fire him and get Donovan.

You have to be VERY confident that Donovan was going to come here to do that.
If Donovan is let go by OKC, my guess is he takes a year or two off from coaching and works tv. He is probably exhausted from this and I doubt he has the energy to rebuild a program, especially with this roster. Furthermore, what the hell would we pay him? Donovan can command a salary in mid 3s to even 4s. If we can't afford a buyout, there is no shot we can afford Billy D. It would be nice though.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
even if he is the right answer, 2018/2019 is completely in the tank and would probably be worse than this year.
If Jalen stays, Vital stays, Carlton, Kwintin, Polley and Diarra stay and we get a decent coach, we'll have a better record next year than we've had the last two.

Reaction Score
If Jalen stays, Vital stays, Carlton, Kwintin, Polley and Diarra stay and we get a decent coach, we'll have a better record next year than we've had the last two.
Yeah, but we still wouldn't be a tournament team. Thats a big IF too. That front court is simply brutal.

Reaction Score

Only if the kids improve dramatically over the summer. Otherwise maybe one more win?

Need better players and shooters I don't care who we bring in to coach.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah, but we still wouldn't be a tournament team. Thats a big IF too. That front court is simply brutal.

Carlton and Diarra have the makings of a pretty good frontcourt at some point down the line. Maybe not next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they made a big leap this offseason.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I took a peak over at the Pitt board for their reaction to this article and it sounds like the difference here could be Hurley doesn't want to leave New England

Now that sounds like a Jim Calhoun thing :)

Reaction Score
Only if the kids improve dramatically over the summer. Otherwise maybe one more win?

Need better players and shooters I don't care who we bring in to coach.
A good coach would have had us in the NIT this year. Our rotations were horrendous.

Reaction Score
Carlton and Diarra have the makings of a pretty good frontcourt at some point down the line. Maybe not next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they made a big leap this offseason.
I agree with Carlton. Love his potential. However, I think Diarra is pretty much who he is. Maybe with time, he will become a smarter player, but I don't see much upside in terms of ability.

Reaction Score
A good coach would have had us in the NIT this year. Our rotations were horrendous.

Doubt it, they're awful. Larrier played too much but who takes his spot and makes shots? Onurah played too much and the freshmen should've gotten more time but their impact is also minimal given more minutes. Anderson played too much but that's on the injury to Gilbert and again who else?

Maybe 500 with his team with better rotations but that's about it, nothing more they aren't very good.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I agree with Carlton. Love his potential. However, I think Diarra is pretty much who he is. Maybe with time, he will become a smarter player, but I don't see much upside in terms of ability.

It could go either way. I'm hoping our new coach is able to break him of those bad habits and keep him on the court 25-30 minutes a game, because I love the way he crashes the boards and doesn't panic with the ball in the paint.

Reaction Score

Key word is "smarter". He tends to be like AB for now who hardly improved his on court understanding of the game for 4 years. Diarra didn't adjust well in this, his 2nd year in all reality so I am nervous you are correct. I do think the ability is there however if he can learn to play defense on the blocks.

Reaction Score
No clue how plugged in the writer really is, but what he is saying is true.

Side note on Diarra: He is a lot like URI’s Cyril Langevine, who has developed really well under Hurley.

Reaction Score
I believe that a great coach could make a difference with this group next year but less and less do I think that players will become “great shooters” over the summer if they only take their 500 shots a day. Something has to happen with the 3 point defense too.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
How credible is this site?

They’re solid, locally. As I mentioned earlier, they’re about as “plugged into” Pitt athletics as any other source. The guy who wrote the story (Vukovcan) was a long time sports producer for the local CBS affiliate (KDKA) and breaks a lot of Pitt stories/commits before the other Pittsburgh outlets.

the Q

Reaction Score

Side note on Diarra: He is a lot like URI’s Cyril Langevine, who has developed really well under Hurley.

I’m hoping he develops like Hassan Martin

Reaction Score
Key word is "smarter". He tends to be like AB for now who hardly improved his on court understanding of the game for 4 years. Diarra didn't adjust well in this, his 2nd year in all reality so I am nervous you are correct. I do think the ability is there however if he can learn to play defense on the blocks.
Yeah, Carlton has it in him to be very good. Unfortunately, we saw a spurt of improvement but it kind of leveled off and even fell back some. Classic problem with KO kids. They just don't seem to make big improvements over a season or even season to season.

Reaction Score

The comparison that most interests me is what Hurley did with Hassan Martin. Similarly ranked coming out of highschool, similar builds, and he turned Martin into an elite rim protector, DPOY type player

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
If we get Hurley, and those 6 guys (Jalen, CV, Carlton, Kwintin, Diarra, Polley) come back, we'll win 20 games next year.
The URI forum is in denial stage. They’re insisting that Hurley won’t go to a school to “rebuild.” Most schools are at a low point when hiring a new coach, so that point makes little to no sense.

URI loses everyone but Dowtin, Fatts, and Langevine. UConn is likely returning at least Gilbert and Wilson, and maybe Adams. I’m sure Hurley could work with that.

I’m rooting for URI in the tourney, but those people are in for a rude awakening. The writing has been on the wall since he hired Moore.

Reaction Score
I don't like Hurley but heard that he is coming. They r waiting till the NCAAT to be over to avoid conflicts
. Marshall might be coming as an assistant also

the Q

Reaction Score
The URI forum is in denial stage. They’re insisting that Hurley won’t go to a school to “rebuild.” Most schools are at a low point when hiring a new coach, so that point makes little to no sense.

URI loses everyone but Dowtin, Fatts, and Langevine. UConn is likely returning at least Gilbert and Wilson, and maybe Adams. I’m sure Hurley could work with that.

I’m rooting for URI in the tourney, but those people are in for a rude awakening. The writing has been on the wall since he hired Moore.

I want them to lose early so this can get done fast and his stock doesn’t rise anymore.

Reaction Score
If we get Hurley, and those 6 guys (Jalen, CV, Carlton, Kwintin, Diarra, Polley) come back, we'll win 20 games next year.

So if we don't he didn't live up to expectations?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom