"Hurley is eyeing the expected opening at UConn" | The Boneyard

"Hurley is eyeing the expected opening at UConn"

Reaction Score
So a trusted source of some Pitt beat writer named Mike Vukovcan is telling him that Hurley is eyeing UConn.

I hope the open secret nature of the rumors flying around means it's a done deal.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Locally, this site has a pretty good reputation when it comes to Pitt. They’ve had all the Stallings stuff dead-on and are usually the first in on Pitt-related commits/news.

I’m not planning a parade yet, but this is good to hear.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Danny Hurley: Depending on which jobs become open, Hurley will be a hot candidate. PSN is being told that Hurley is eyeing the expected opening at UConn, where Kevin Ollie is expected to get fired.

Pitt Basketball Coaching Candidate Rumor Mill

1. Who is going to believe a Pitt beat writer? Hurley is Pitt's #1 choice by several sources and he wants to coach in the ACC. Writer is placing fear in Pitts eyes.
2. Taste test - 127 wins vs 110 wins in last 6 years .617% winning % vs .579% in last 6 years
3. AAC vs ACC
4. Will Pitt afford a new salary, ex coach buyout as well as pay Rhody's termination fee (DH just signed an extension last summer) ? Probably

Highly unlikely UConn will do #4

Reaction Score
Sure, right before the NCAA tourney , Hurley is going to notify "sources" that he is looking at the Uconn job. You dolts are being trolled.

That's when this stuff happens. I know it's fun to believe that coaches never think about anything beyond the current players, but they're human, and if you're planning on making an enormous life decision, your wheels are typically turning well beforehand. That doesn't mean he isn't fully invested in his team but it isn't hard to put out feelers in this day and age.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I will start and end there.

Is Hurley inevitable at this point Chief? Kind of hoping Donovan was sick of coaching guys who don’t listen. Heck I may even consider Crean before him but probably not an awful choice. Guess we will see.

Reaction Score
Sure, right before the NCAA tourney , Hurley is going to notify "sources" that he is looking at the Uconn job. You dolts are being trolled.

It's a local rumor site champ, it's not like it's headline news on ESPN. +1 for "dolts" though, haven't heard that since I was like 6.

Reaction Score
Is Hurley inevitable at this point Chief? Kind of hoping Donovan was sick of coaching guys who don’t listen. Heck I may even consider Crean before him but probably not an awful choice. Guess we will see.

Donovan could get fired depending on how RWB and PG feel about him but highly unlikely he walks away from 6 mil a year coaching a top 10 player in the NBA to come make roughly half as much rebuilding a program in the AAC.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Why would he come here (or Pitt?), pretty soon there's going to be openings at Dook, UK, AZ, MSU, KU and the FBI

Isn't anybody paying attention? Or are our mammary issues that bad?

Reaction Score
Why would he come here (or Pitt?), pretty soon there's going to be openings at Dook, UK, AZ, MSU, KU and the FBI

My mammary issues have always been bad willie:cool:...or good?

Reaction Score
Donovan could get fired depending on how RWB and PG feel about him but highly unlikely he walks away from 6 mil a year coaching a top 10 player in the NBA to come make roughly half as much rebuilding a program in the AAC.

Probably right but playing in New England and coaching in NE vs the Huskies could be the reason he would understand the challenge of repairing a program like UConn. He's from NYC and has plenty of money so while yes he would make less, he probably will no matter where he would land. These guys have ego's beyond belief, it may be just the challenge itself that intrigues him.

We can dream, probably not even on the table but wold certainly like it better than any other option if it were.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
My mammary issues have always been bad willie:cool:...or good?

much better than thinking about college hoops

a few years ago I was watching a movie with Jennifer Connolly in it, and I accidentally typed mammary instead of memory in some post on a political forum, so I blame Jennifer for this deviant behavior

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I took a peak over at the Pitt board for their reaction to this article and it sounds like the difference here could be Hurley doesn't want to leave New England

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I'm a big Donovan fan, but......

The biggest problem with Donovan is he probably wouldn't be fired until june.

even if he is the right answer, 2018/2019 is completely in the tank and would probably be worse than this year.

Reaction Score
I'm a big Donovan fan, but.

The biggest problem with Donovan is he probably wouldn't be fired until june.

even if he is the right answer, 2018/2019 is completely in the tank and would probably be worse than this year.

No doubt we need someone immediately to try to keep what we have, the recruits committed and work on the players available (transfers, 5ths). So waiting for a Donovan would create a huge gap in the roster more than likely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom