Hurley - “Shut Up” | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley - “Shut Up”

Reaction Score
It was FSU's injured Cofer who pointed at the scoreboard...And after the game, during the hug, they laughed about it...kinda bizarre, but kinda not...

It's game...unlike a stoic Leonard Hamilton...Hurley is much more emotional. The camera was on him all night (as opposed to stone faced Hamilton).

But with his animation, rubber face, and a split screen on him often, Hurley was the game face. And he looked high strung.

It was a rough and tumble game...FSU's high scorer, Mann, had to leave the game because the ref noticed that his jersey was torn (to Hamilton's displeasure). But Hamilton's being upset is signalled by a a frown.

Hurley obviously didn't think his guy could be clean blocked on a jam (replays tell different)...and he was upset. And yelling.

It was an emotional game with both teams scrapping on defense...no big deal....I wish the T had not been called...but it was.... and won't be the last.

Reaction Score
And...we knew what Hurley was about...

From UConn Blog earlier in season...

"UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley doesn’t hide his emotions very well on the sideline. If he’s angry, he’ll stomp his feet like a kid having a tantrum or yell so loud the entire arena can hear. When he’s excited, Hurley will hype up the crowd or go into the stands to help a player up. For him, it’s all part of the team-building process.

“A lot of opposing arenas are going to get some show this year,” Hurley joked. “When you’re first starting out and trying to build something, a mindset, a toughness and mentality, that’s how you have to coach your first year or two when you’re not quite as well-rounded in terms of having everything you need as a team. I’m going to have to will these guys through games, I’m going to have to coach every possession like it’s the end of the world.”

“Once we become a more well-rounded team with an overall better everything, you’re not going to see that maniacal, sideline stalker,” he said. “You’ll see it at times when we need it but you won’t see it possession in, possession out.

sooooo.....Hurley set out to be a sideline stalker (his words)...and being over the top is a deliberate strategy..it may well get him an occasional technical...but that is his plan...it is deliberate.

Reaction Score
I know the T came at the wrong time, but I’ll take a coach working the ref’s, moving up and down the sidelines, firing up his players anyday over a sourpuss, clipboard thrower who pouts and gives up. Anyday

Reaction Score
Hamilton on the game and Hurley....

“I think Coach has done such a great job with this team, that they're definitely an NCAA Tournament team. They're going to do very well in their conference. He needs to be congratulated for that. This was a very hard-fought game for us. Obviously, it's a very aggressive game, a lot of fouls. That's what happens when you have two teams that are hungry and aggressive and determined to go out and fight for a victory."

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I wonder if the OP bet the game? The "T" was difference between a win or a loss, or maybe he's just frustrated with loss by the Huskies and those few seconds were when the final nail was put in the coffin. Jalen's miss sealed the deal, but it was a long-shot even if he made it.

Fewer turnovers and make free throws and we win. Two fixable problems. Even sticking a few open looks last night could have made the difference, there were many chances to fight back, we just fell short. Collectively, this team has to learn how to win, and they will.

Hurley's passion is NOT an issue, I love it. Now I wish he would just start antagonizing the press, that would be awesome.

Reaction Score
Hurley is pushing an inferior undersized and less talented team to be competitive with upper echelon teams with every ounce of energy he has. I can not believe the criticism I am reading about his interactions with officials and coaching. That game is a 30 point loss under KO. There are unrealistic expectations for this squad which have snowballed based on cupcake blowouts and an SU win. The man hates to lose just like Calhoun and we are beyond lucky to have him. If Jalen had turned into Kemba we might have something to be unhappy about, but he surely did not.

Reaction Score
Was Jalen fouled? At the game it looked like he got pounded in the body, and that's a foul even if the block is clean. But we don't have the benefit of a replay at the game

Compared to previous calls that looked like a foul from where I was sitting.

Reaction Score
Hurley is pushing an inferior undersized and less talented team to be competitive with upper echelon teams with every ounce of energy he has. I can not believe the criticism I am reading about his interactions with officials and coaching. That game is a 30 point loss under KO. There are unrealistic expectations for this squad which have snowballed based on cupcake blowouts and an SU win. The man hates to lose just like Calhoun and we are beyond lucky to have him. If Jalen had turned into Kemba we might have something to be unhappy about, but he surely did not.

When we went down 15/16 the team came back. If Vital had hit his open corner 3 I believe the lead would have been down to 5. Last year this team would have rolled over and lost by 25+.

Hurley is the guy I want coaching this team. I wish I could play for him. This team will get better. Don’t be surprised if we win the AAC this year.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When we went down 15/16 the team came back. If Vital had hit his open corner 3 I believe the lead would have been down to 5. Last year this team would have rolled over and lost by 25+.

Hurley is the guy I want coaching this team. I wish I could play for him. This team will get better. Don’t be surprised if we win the AAC this year.
We had a lot of chances to really make it competitive down the stretch but failed to hit big shots/get the stops we needed.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the OP bet the game? The "T" was difference between a win or a loss, or maybe he's just frustrated with loss by the Huskies and those few seconds were when the final nail was put in the coffin. Jalen's miss sealed the deal, but it was a long-shot even if he made it.

Fewer turnovers and make free throws and we win. Two fixable problems. Even sticking a few open looks last night could have made the difference, there were many chances to fight back, we just fell short. Collectively, this team has to learn how to win, and they will.

Hurley's passion is NOT an issue, I love it. Now I wish he would just start antagonizing the press, that would be awesome.

Agree willie with all but one. Sure they can get better at the FT line with even more work but can the TO's come down? Or do we have players who will always be who they are and never understanding the necessity of the possession? Again I feel for Hurley he sees a couple of talented guards who he can't get to understand the nature of the solid possession. He will continue to see them make stupid plays and passes, then smile and say my bad. It will kill him too, he knows how it feels for 4 years on one! Head bang

Reaction Score
Oh
Compared to previous calls that looked like a foul from where I was sitting.

Replay on TV showed block was clean...no body...just hand on ball...talking heads also pontificated..."clean block".

Reaction Score
Hey...if Hurley's "Crazy Ivan" strategy works...great.

Dabo got a lot of flack for his animation and yelling on the sidelines...worked for him.

Reaction Score

Didn’t bet the game - Just thought the interaction between Hurley and the FSU player was rather interesting. To be fair I like Hurley’s emotion and passion, I guess after a few years of seeing our coach with this glazed eye look or stank face at the ends of games, it’s refreshing to see a guy with so much passion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This thread is a disaster.

Dan is clearly Bob's son. He looked exactly like Bob Hurley with this one.
I thought the same thing during the game. After a bad call there was a camera angle with BH in the background and DH in the foreground. Both were shaking their heads.

I like the passion but yelling at the other's team player with seconds to go, isn't strategic it's a tantrum. Love Danny but he is still working out the balance between being a passionate head coach and the head case that he was as a player. Refs will give him more deference in time, especially if he is successful.

Reaction Score
Nice to see the den mother of the KO fan club, @Kathy, is still around to like any anti-Hurley post she can find.
FYI - where were you last night, I was in Newark just like I was at MSG 2 weeks ago and will be there again 2 weeks from now. I also go to all games at Gampel and XL just like I have for the last 36 years. Not much I haven't seen or heard. Passion is great, Calhoun was very passionate and emotional but Hurley needs to worry less about opposing fans and players. The only ones that need to respect him are his players.

CL82

Reaction Score
I know right? We need a coach like Jim Calhoun. He'd never get a technical....:rolleyes:

(FWIW, Calhoun's T's seemed to be strategic more often than not.)

Reaction Score
I think Hurley will reel it in when he gets his players here and ingrains his standards in them. This team needs a firey coach who will go to mat for his players and coaches every play whether up or down by 15
#trusttheprocess

Reaction Score
Honestly if an FSU player was mouthing off disrespectfully towards our players I have no problem with Hurley telling the kid to shut up. The kid is at least 18 years old. He should know to have more class than that. He obviously didn’t so Hurley told him to shut his trap.

Does that make Hurley classless? I don’t think so. He sees himself as an authority on that court and authority has the right to set boundaries when the line is crossed.

It’s a dominance thing and I’m okay with our head coach being assertive on the court. Our players see that and will take on those traits.
Honestly if an FSU player was mouthing off disrespectfully towards our players I have no problem with Hurley telling the kid to shut up. The kid is at least 18 years old. He should know to have more class than that. He obviously didn’t so Hurley told him to shut his trap.

Does that make Hurley classless? I don’t think so. He sees himself as an authority on that court and authority has the right to set boundaries when the line is crossed.

It’s a dominance thing and I’m okay with our head coach being assertive on the court. Our players see that and will take on those traits.

Was at the game with a clear angle to the back of our bench. Sometime during the first half (i think it was Mann - I could be mistaken), got a and one on what looked like a questionable call. Said player turned, looked directly at Hurley and starting pumping his chest and gesturing.

That crap was going on all game from the FSU players. It was totally warranted.

Reaction Score
I know right? We need a coach like Jim Calhoun. He'd never get a technical....:rolleyes:

(FWIW, Calhoun's T's seemed to be strategic more often than not.)
As was Dan Hurley's, it's not a coincidence his T came at the exact moment the game was out of reach

CL82

Reaction Score
As was Dan Hurley's, it's not a coincidence his T came at the exact moment the game was out of reach
And how do you think it was productive?

Reaction Score
Let Hurley be Hurley.

He has gotten to where he is by being exactly what we see on the sideline. He doesn't need to dial it back or calm down or as the Courant said today,"Hurley is the right guy at the right time but, man, maybe he’d be better off at 99 mph every so often."

Wrong, man. That's him. If you want him on the sideline that's what you get. It is a thousand times improvement over our previous coach on bench. It is called passion. And it's a good thing. Peace. Out.

CL82

Reaction Score
Let Hurley be Hurley.

He has gotten to where he is by being exactly what we see on the sideline. He doesn't need to dial it back or calm down or as the Courant said today,"Hurley is the right guy at the right time but, man, maybe he’d be better off at 99 mph every so often."

Wrong, man. That's him. If you want him on the sideline that's what you get. It is a thousand times improvement over our previous coach on bench. It is called passion. And it's a good thing. Peace. Out.
Meh. Jim Calhoun evolved and improved as coach over his career. The good ones always do. So will Hurley. This is his first year at a national program. He'll find the right balance.

Reaction Score
And how do you think it was productive?
Not productive, saying he seemed to not want to give away points when the game was still up for grabs. To me that's strategic and I'd rather him work the refs with no T up to that point

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom