Hurley - “Shut Up” | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hurley - “Shut Up”

Reaction Score
everyone here that's complaining are probably the same people in past years who would also complain that ollie wouldnt even leave his seat and make the same hermit the frog face on the bench that the camera would close up on... wow u guys are something else. we have a coach willing to fight for our team, get technicals to try and fire up the team (see syracuse game) and u guys can do nothing but complain over the stupidest most petty ish ive ever seen. this is why i dont like to come on this board because we have literal babies who are crying over a tough coach getting T's. by the way the game is out of reach and sorry for the grammar produced on this post because im outside and my hands are freezing.

Reaction Score
We should have beaten Zona, IMO. Florida State would beat us 8 or 9 out of 10, they are just bigger, more athletic, and better than us at this point.

While I do agree for the most part, yesterday was one of those 2-3 chances out of 10 there was an open door for a W and we blew it playing sloppy. Nova is huge.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To be strategic it has to have a long term objective. Which it does. He is building a reputation.

A technical in a game would be tactical not strategic.
Building a reputation as a coach that yells at the other teams players? I sure hope that isn't what he's shooting for. You'd have a better, though still flawed, argument if he got the T by arguing with a ref.

He's a bright, emotional guy. He'll figure out the right balance eventually but this was a time he let his emotions get away from him.

Reaction Score
This was not as bad as the T that time a clipboard was thrown to the ground killing any momentum...I think vs Cincy that 16-17 season if I recall.

Reaction Score
@NJHoops seems to be the most knowledgeable poster IRT Hurley, by far. These were some of her comments. Quite prescient.

"People will love the energy and the working the refs until the team loses a game they think they should have won... then it’s all, “calm down, the refs are fighting back, focus, you’re making your team too tight and tense...”

All part of being a fan. Enjoy the ride :)"

"Yep. It’s been true everywhere he’s coached. So much hate. I only care about what his players and the guys who work for and with him think, and that’s all love.

I actually prefer the Hurley you’ll see in another season or two, but whatever works. And, as was mentioned before, regarding the change of pace from chest bump to handshake, he’s not out of control, but people who want to hate interpret it that way."

"But it works much better when it’s coming from the guys on the court. They’ll get there- either through recruiting or the current guys adjusting- and then Dan will get to calm down a bit."

Reaction Score
Hurley shouldn't tell the other teams players to shutup. It's a bad look.
we don't know exactly what happened. FSU was chippy all game and talking nonstop all game.

Whatever Hurley is doing, it's working. Do I love that it appears like he yelled at a kid on the other team? No. Does it bother me? No, not really. I'll take the passion over apathy any day of the week. Hurley is a smart guy. He knows what he's doing. Maybe his emotions got the best of him. Maybe he heard something that was over the line. FSU didn't seem to have an issue with it, so neither will I.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
People complaining about Hurley are stupid. If he didn't act the way he does, this team would lose this game by 30 points easy.
This is a Head scratcher
I think that DH is a great choice as KOs replacement and the guy knows the game
But to say that all the faces and his constant questioning of the refs is worth 30 points?
I have coached for almost 30 years as level as high as college and I can tell you that the coaches that play the refs are heroes to their fan base but it comes to hurt 75% of them in the end.
DH doesn't have the cred of JC, K or the others who have been known to whine and scream and he is a LONG way from earning that
He needs to harness that nervous energy in direction of his team, learn the best use of time outs and make several needed adjustments that have been staring at him since game 1
I like DH, I like the hire, I like the energy, I like the way the kids are into the system - I don't understand the ref baiting
There was absolutely no need for that T yesterday - none at all.
To those who blame JA for missing the lay-up that led to the supposed DH frustration and all those during the game chat who used the words such as suck, overrated, underdeveloped, weak, unimproved when talking JA - Pure idiocy and IMHO fair-weather fandom

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I haven't posted on here in years... but recently started coming back on and browsing. I just have to say... you guys think Dan Hurley's emotions/temper/demeanor is immature or over the top? Must be new fans obviously. Welcome to UConn basketball folks. Jim Calhoun was the king. Nice to have it back!
DH is no JC - this from a fan since 1965

Reaction Score
????

Geno had a back n’forth with their best player who was a total punk. She tried to hurt his PH twice as the Huskies pulled away and in the congrats line wouldn’t talk to Geno shaking her head. The way she acted and the punkish moves hopefully Muffet penalized her.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The love affair with Hurley is still going on. He’s coaching like every minute is the end of the world. As a fan it was SO fun to watch the first few games but now I’m getting super annoyed. He’s so over the top. It’s really embarrassing. I love what he’s doing in terms of coaching and recruiting but I’m not ok w his over the top style rn

Perhaps you can make a cover of Poker Face entitled "I miss that Ollie Face"

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
we don't know exactly what happened. FSU was chippy all game and talking nonstop all game.

Whatever Hurley is doing, it's working. Do I love that it appears like he yelled at a kid on the other team? No. Does it bother me? No, not really. I'll take the passion over apathy any day of the week. Hurley is a smart guy. He knows what he's doing. Maybe his emotions got the best of him. Maybe he heard something that was over the line. FSU didn't seem to have an issue with it, so neither will I.
It's an even worse look when the other teams' players are being disrespectful and immature.
It's not Hurelys job to control the other teams players. No one said be apathetic, but yelling at another teams player is unnecessary.

Reaction Score
It's not Hurelys job to control the other teams players. No one said be apathetic, but yelling at another teams player is unnecessary.

we don't know what happened. I'm not going to jump to conclusions based off of a small clip. I'm just going to assume there's a method to his madness until he proves otherwise.

arch

Reaction Score
Geno had a back n’forth with their best player who was a total punk. She tried to hurt his PH twice as the Huskies pulled away and in the congrats line wouldn’t talk to Geno shaking her head. The way she acted and the punkish moves hopefully Muffet penalized her.

Don’t think there was a back and forth in that case. That’s why the ????. Totally agree that Geno has had “conversations” with opposing players. I think he has outgrown these lapses. Pretty sure he thinks so too.

High energy coaching is a tough line to walk. The team is running on his energy instead of their own. Looking forward to the day he can back off. I think he is too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He got T'd up. Wasn't ideal timing. But that's not why we lost that game and it wasn't the difference or even *a difference*

There's enough cohesiveness with this group to allow them to hang around with teams like this -but we just don't have that fifth gear or anyone who can get there with any regularity.

Reaction Score
A lot of people are only focusing on the shut up. If you watched the game you would know that the camera was on Hurley for about 5-10 seconds before that where he was clearly yelling at the refs. It seemed like he was mad about something going on with the FSU bench (not sure if players or coaches or both).

My lip reading isn't great, but it seemed like he said something about standing up and something about "out of the box". Maybe he felt the players or coaches were standing up and stepping on the court and getting in the way.

It was at that point the FSU bench players starting talking to Hurley. That is when he told them to shut up. You can say that Hurley shouldn't have said it, but the FSU coach should not be allowing his players to talk smack to the opposing coach. Hurley didn't say anything to them until they engaged him. Now with all that said I do have to admit, Hurley is the type of coach you love when he's your team's coach, but hate when he's the opposing coach. He's like Frank Martin, but with less angry yelling at his own players.

Also- been reading this board for a handful of years now, finally decided to post. Sorry if I got long winded. That's why I don't post.

Reaction Score
Perhaps maybe Vital shouldn’t have gotten the T and focused on the game and not his emotions/ego. I was behind the FSU bench and Adams and the bench were mouthing off to each other. Jalen maybe should have shown up and played harder. Dogged it for much of the game. Cocky player. That being said, the FSU players were juiced up and talking very much, not to mention a couple drunk fans on the baseline front row yelling and pumping their chests. The refs really also lost control of this game from the get go.

Reaction Score
He got T'd up. Wasn't ideal timing. But that's not why we lost that game and it wasn't the difference or even *a difference*

There's enough cohesiveness with this group to allow them to hang around with teams like this -but we just don't have that fifth gear or anyone who can get there with any regularity.

I think we have a couple 5th gear guys but they aren't the impact we require
A lot of people are only focusing on the shut up. If you watched the game you would know that the camera was on Hurley for about 5-10 seconds before that where he was clearly yelling at the refs. It seemed like he was mad about something going on with the FSU bench (not sure if players or coaches or both).

My lip reading isn't great, but it seemed like he said something about standing up and something about "out of the box". Maybe he felt the players or coaches were standing up and stepping on the court and getting in the way.

It was at that point the FSU bench players starting talking to Hurley. That is when he told them to shut up. You can say that Hurley shouldn't have said it, but the FSU coach should not be allowing his players to talk smack to the opposing coach. Hurley didn't say anything to them until they engaged him. Now with all that said I do have to admit, Hurley is the type of coach you love when he's your team's coach, but hate when he's the opposing coach. He's like Frank Martin, but with less angry yelling at his own players.

Also- been reading this board for a handful of years now, finally decided to post. Sorry if I got long winded. That's why I don't post.

Welcome good post, spot on with the Frank Martin. Similarities are there as you say he’s tougher in the face of the kids though.

Reaction Score
Unless he steps out on the court and clotheslines an opponent, I don’t care what kind of antics he engages in to keep his team motivated and fire in the belly. He is a god send and is saving a great basketball program that was headed down the toilet at light speed.

Reaction Score
The love affair with Hurley is still going on. He’s coaching like every minute is the end of the world. As a fan it was SO fun to watch the first few games but now I’m getting super annoyed. He’s so over the top. It’s really embarrassing. I love what he’s doing in terms of coaching and recruiting but I’m not ok w his over the top style rn

LOL! Get used to it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom