Hurley: “seemed like guys confidence was down” | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley: “seemed like guys confidence was down”

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I agree with the "situational" sentiment. I do think that these guys can get tougher and learn to step up to the moment. Someone or multiple players will eventually step into that role and other roles will be defined throughout the season. I'm not disappointed or disheartened by their performance thus far this season, and I do think there is grit and determination in each one of these players otherwise they would've gone to another school. It's more so a complacency and a tentativeness to relinquish the last shot or critical moment to someone else. Don't like seeing that is all.
Right. There is so much potential in this team, it obvious to anyone watching. We have one of the most athletic teams in the country. Our basketball skills are above average all things considered. But our main weakness right now is the mental aspect.

If we fix the mental aspect and make it a strength and not a weakness, then between that and our athleticism we can make up for any skill deficiencies we have.

The pieces are there, and agree it is frustrating in Hurley year 4 this is still a problem. But I’m (foolishly?) confident they will figure it out.

Reaction Score
I have 17 amateur full-contact fights. There are two championship belts sitting in my living room. I went to college on a basketball scholarship.

GFTO of here. You don't know what toughness is, and never will.
If my math is correct, you should have at least 15 participation trophies.

Reaction Score
If my math is correct, you should have at least 15 participation trophies.

TBH I do have a couple from elementary school soccer somewhere in a box in my basement. I distinctly remember my coach giving me player of the week, and saying "Husky429, I've never seen you run before!"

Didn't like soccer so much. Hated baseball. Basketball and punching people in the face was my jam.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Right. There is so much potential in this team, it obvious to anyone watching. We have one of the most athletic teams in the country. Our basketball skills are above average all things considered. But our main weakness right now is the mental aspect.

If we fix the mental aspect and make it a strength and not a weakness, then between that and our athleticism we can make up for any skill deficiencies we have.

The pieces are there, and agree it is frustrating in Hurley year 4 this is still a problem. But I’m (foolishly?) confident they will figure it out.

I mean this genuinely isn't shooting a basketball skill?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I mean this genuinely isn't shooting a basketball skill?
Yes, but it's not the only skill set. We are elite at rebound, shot blocking and defense. Above average at passing. We do lack in ball handling and shot making.

All things considered, I believe our "skill sets" would be above average. But athleticism and poise (if we can get some) can overcome those deficiencies. Games will still be ugly & low scoring, but we should come out on the right side of the W/L column more times than not. That's why it's imperative they figure out the confidence aspect ASAP.

Reaction Score
I'd encourage you to watch Jim Calhoun in the last 4 minutes of close games. I'm pretty neutral on Hurley's court demeanor, so I've got no dog in this particular fight. When games were close late, Calhoun turned into an analytical genius--his personality changed. He started playing chess instead of basketball. I've heard these words directly from an assistant coach's mouth.

This is where I do have a dog in the fight... Hurley has yet to show he has an analytical mind in that capacity. I'll stand by that. At this point, it seems undeniable. He needs to be better coaching the end of games. It wasn't just this game--we missed shots we shouldn't have. We may not have won regardless of his coaching with our shooting the way it is. But when there's a PATTERN of bad closeouts to game, coach needs to start looking in the mirror.
Jim ain’t exactly doing anything right now. Why not stick him in the 1st row behind Hurley?

Reaction Score
Jim ain’t exactly doing anything right now. Why not stick him in the 1st row behind Hurley?

Doesn't really work like that. You've gotta know your players' games inside and out to make these kind of intuitive split-second decisions. Calhoun isn't going to be able to do that for him... I do think having Kimani or Tom have a little more game-day autonomy to make decisions wouldn't be a bad idea.

Reaction Score
Doesn't really work like that. You've gotta know your players' games inside and out to make these kind of intuitive split-second decisions. Calhoun isn't going to be able to do that for him... I do think having Kimani or Tom have a little more game-day autonomy to make decisions wouldn't be a bad idea.
Pride has not kept old Larry Brown off the bench. Hurley could bring him on the bench. Know it won’t happen but the man is a fountain of hoop knowledge.

Reaction Score
Players take on the personality of the coach, it's kind of known around college basketball now that Hurley isn't all that adaptable in games and gets tight down the stretch.
You're gonna need to provide some evidence for "kind of known around college basketball".

Reaction Score
You're gonna need to provide some evidence for "kind of known around college basketball".
Well, we know it, and we're just dopey message board jockeys. You don't think coaches who are paid to notice such things haven't caught on as well?

Reaction Score
Your evidence is what coaches do in the closing minutes of games and how coach responds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom