Hurley: “seemed like guys confidence was down” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley: “seemed like guys confidence was down”

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I'd encourage you to watch Jim Calhoun in the last 4 minutes of close games. I'm pretty neutral on Hurley's court demeanor, so I've got no dog in this particular fight. When games were close late, Calhoun turned into an analytical genius--his personality changed. He started playing chess instead of basketball. I've heard these words directly from an assistant coach's mouth.

This is where I do have a dog in the fight... Hurley has yet to show he has an analytical mind in that capacity. I'll stand by that. At this point, it seems undeniable. He needs to be better coaching the end of games. It wasn't just this game--we missed shots we shouldn't have. We may not have won regardless of his coaching with our shooting the way it is. But when there's a PATTERN of bad closeouts to game, coach needs to start looking in the mirror.

Be careful saying this the UConn is the greatest team on earth crowd is going to come after you.

Reaction Score
I'd encourage you to watch Jim Calhoun in the last 4 minutes of close games. I'm pretty neutral on Hurley's court demeanor, so I've got no dog in this particular fight. When games were close late, Calhoun turned into an analytical genius--his personality changed. He started playing chess instead of basketball. I've heard these words directly from an assistant coach's mouth.

This is where I do have a dog in the fight... Hurley has yet to show he has an analytical mind in that capacity. I'll stand by that. At this point, it seems undeniable. He needs to be better coaching the end of games. It wasn't just this game--we missed shots we shouldn't have. We may not have won regardless of his coaching with our shooting the way it is. But when there's a PATTERN of bad closeouts to game, coach needs to start looking in the mirror.
It’s been a pattern since he’s been here. Hurley does a ton of things really well: game plans are excellent, scouts other teams well, has some quick hitters on in bounds (on UConn side) and for quick looks for Sanogo/3 point shooters that get good shots Etc etc. The thing he needs to improve on is adjusting a bit on the fly and late game situations. Teams have thrown some different looks late in games and the team panics. I’m not even just focusing on WVU game, more so the larger picture. Just like the players, he’s learning how to attack these final few minutes. What sets to draw on, what line ups to roll out etc.

Still hopeful once the full stable of players are back, they can improve enough to win these games. And unrelated, I want to see Diggins get some PT. This team needs another ball handler, that much is very clear. Not saying he needs 30 min a game but I’d like to see him sprinkled into these line ups.

Reaction Score
This is simply not true. This sentiment was stupid the first time some boomer said it, and it's stupid now when you said it. Get a grip.Every single player on our team is tough. Get used to it.

It's always so cute when fatasses sitting on their couch criticize college kids tougheness on this board. These guys go to class full-time, practice 2+ hours a day and take a beating in games. They're tougher and more athletic than 99.9% of people on this board. Just stop.

I would absolutely love to watch you try to hang with Sanogo in post drills or chase Hawkins around screens for an afternoon. Then we can decide who's tough.
You took that somehow way too personally. Funny to me. Relax bud, you'll live longer.

If I must clarify, these players are tough physically for sure. No doubt about it, but mental toughness is not showcased as of late is my point. Losing close games, not getting down to the ground for 50/50 balls, hanging their heads after a stupid turnover, etc. Some of these guys may develop the mental toughness needed and some may transfer like a Vance Jackson from school to school to school.

Sanogo against a 5'11" white dude in a post up would make for some comedy though, I'll give you that.

Reaction Score
It is the "me" generation (and I don't want to derail this thread with that) but I think every kid who signs up to play for Hurley knows what they are in for. During their recruitments they talk to current players, they sit in on practices, they hear what other coaches say about Hurley. Hurley has a type of guy he wants in his program, and "soft" is not his type.

Don't think it's an issue of them not having the grit or being "weak" mentally in general. It's a composure issue that is situational. They need to figure out how to keep the team composed when stuff goes sideways.
I agree with the "situational" sentiment. I do think that these guys can get tougher and learn to step up to the moment. Someone or multiple players will eventually step into that role and other roles will be defined throughout the season. I'm not disappointed or disheartened by their performance thus far this season, and I do think there is grit and determination in each one of these players otherwise they would've gone to another school. It's more so a complacency and a tentativeness to relinquish the last shot or critical moment to someone else. Don't like seeing that is all.

Reaction Score
You took that somehow way too personally. Funny to me. Relax bud, you'll live longer.

If I must clarify, these players are tough physically for sure. No doubt about it, but mental toughness is not showcased as of late is my point. Losing close games, not getting down to the ground for 50/50 balls, hanging their heads after a stupid turnover, etc. Some of these guys may develop the mental toughness needed and some may transfer like a Vance Jackson from school to school to school.

Sanogo against a 5'11" white dude in a post up would make for some comedy though, I'll give you that.

Your statement is just as stupid the second time around. Congrats.

I'd recommend making an actually coherent argument instead of claiming I'm not relaxed. Suggests you have nothing worthwhile to say. Give me a lick of evidence that "mental toughness" is on the decline, and we'll have a discussion.

Reaction Score
Did he actually rip the team at halftime about their shot selection or are you speculating? I didn't think their first half shot selection was poor overall. Yes, there were some bad ones like that Johnson spot-up 3 in transition. They got a lot of really good looks the first half. They just missed badly.
Disagree on the Johnson 3, he needs to take that shot 100 out of 100 times. Especially against a West Virginia team with that half court defense. Those are the type of shots that when they don't go down for Johnson and Hawkins you coach them up and tell them it's a good shot. I have no idea what was or wasn't said but in the first half we had a ton of good shots that didn't go down, and in the 2nd half we had a ton of good looks we didn't take which led to bad shots not going down

Reaction Score
Disagree on the Johnson 3, he needs to take that shot 100 out of 100 times. Especially against a West Virginia team with that half court defense. Those are the type of shots that when they don't go down for Johnson and Hawkins you coach them up and tell them it's a good shot. I have no idea what was or wasn't said but in the first half we had a ton of good shots that didn't go down, and in the 2nd half we had a ton of good looks we didn't take which led to bad shots not going down

Yep. We need to ditch the contested 3s. If you're open you have to shoot, plain and simple. If it doesn't fall like earlier this week, it doesn't fall. Can't leave potential points on the court like that.

Reaction Score
Did he actually rip the team at halftime about their shot selection or are you speculating? I didn't think their first half shot selection was poor overall. Yes, there were some bad ones like that Johnson spot-up 3 in transition. They got a lot of really good looks the first half. They just missed badly.
Thought I heard it mentioned on the telecast but of course its speculation as I wasn't in the locker room nor have I read about it anywhere. Nonetheless I'm pretty confident in the speculation, there were at least 4 bad choice threes, the Johnson one was the worst, Hawkins had one, Whaley & Akok.

Reaction Score
Yep. We need to ditch the contested 3s. If you're open you have to shoot, plain and simple. If it doesn't fall like earlier this week, it doesn't fall. Can't leave potential points on the court like that.
Everyone knows the difference between a good and a bad shot. Getting good shots is what basketball offense is about and of course you want to shoot before the defense gets set whenever you can find those good transition opportunities. An example of a good, quick shot is the quick 3 Cole took in transition during UConn's best run of the game. I 100% agree that Johnson can & should take open 3's - but this one happened to occur on the break almost off a dead run sprinting in transition and with no one to rebound. A bad shot isn't a good shot just because its a 3-pointer. I will also agree you shouldn't only use the results to judge process - but everyone in the gym and watching knew that was missing badly.

Reaction Score
Everyone knows the difference between a good and a bad shot. Getting good shots is what basketball offense is about and of course you want to shoot before the defense gets set whenever you can find those good transition opportunities. An example of a good, quick shot is the quick 3 Cole took in transition during UConn's best run of the game. I 100% agree that Johnson can & should take open 3's - but this one happened to occur on the break almost off a dead run sprinting in transition and with no one to rebound. A bad shot isn't a good shot just because its a 3-pointer. I will also agree you shouldn't only use the results to judge process - but everyone in the gym and watching knew that was missing badly.

Wasn't referring to that shot in particular--I don't remember. Agree... if you have a rebounder and an open 3 take it. Doesn't make sense except for a select few guys otherwise.

Reaction Score

I'm 50 and have seen every UConn game Calhoun ever coached. I was talking about him in general.
I have said Hurley needs to work on his end of game coaching. All I said is it is not ALL on him and the players have their share of responsibility in it as well and BOTH players and coaches need to do better. I'm not willing however to lay every little trip or boneheaded mistake on the coach. That is ridiculous. Calhoun was a amazing but players made gaffes at the end of games under him too. It wasn't nearly as often as he was a legendary coach and had better teams but it happened. Darius Rice/Shamon Tooles anyone?

Reaction Score
I'm 50 and have seen every UConn game Calhoun ever coached. I was talking about him in general.
I have said Hurley needs to work on his end of game coaching. All I said is it is not ALL on him and the players have their share of responsibility in it as well and BOTH players and coaches need to do better. I'm not willing however to lay every little trip or boneheaded mistake on the coach. That is ridiculous. Calhoun was a amazing but players made gaffes at the end of games under him too. It wasn't nearly as often as he was a legendary coach and had better teams but it happened. Darius Rice/Shampn Tooles anyone?
Agree with your observations. JC in his early years at UConn and in the Big East had games where he was outcoached by guys who eventually went into the HOF-as did he. He was "schooling" everyone with his in-game coaching and strategies as his UConn career evolved and continued .No news there.

DH -like early JC- is also learning the game vs HOF coaches now that his talent on the roster has been upgraded. He will evolve and begin managing those end of game situations better through his players on the floor. Perspective.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
confidence was down? duh. let's review.
1. after camp, coach sez 'offense goes thru adama.'
20% of season in, coach is correct, and adama brings it, while rj is stepping it up, bigly, and tymart continues to be a 11/7 rock. noice. all told, a reliable interior offense develops. then, no adama, no tymart? no reliable interior offense. not from akok (still too soon, guy is just finishing his first couple of games, and looks more comfortable with each one.), not from ajax, a fine player who many here are starting to figger out that shooting is not his thing (how long till sum kooks here figger out that a horse game between he and sool could take a month to complete?), not from hawk, another fine player who should eventually settle down, not from whaley, who, quite frankly, is Mr Mistakeless (luv, luv, luv dat). forget typo, 10 years in, his record is clear -no handle, no dish, no boards (tho he seems to be less afraid of getting touched lately, and has picked up a board every now and then), no blocks, no steals, no interior skill. currently, he's 36% fg overall (worst on team), 31% from 3 (worst on team), soooooooo, no reliable interior offense without the two dudes. period. at one point, typo fired up a particularly odious jack that made an unnatural sound as it clanked, and it resonated thruout the building. everrone there heard it, and sum reacted with 'that's an odd sound....'
no one to throw it to inside? that's gotta hurt confidence in the game plan.
2. playing in Morgantown, a lovely place filled with lovely folks, but playing their first big game at home with a packed crowd in a loooong time. folks were jacked to the max, yet few took my sweet UConn hockey shirt as a personal affront. Morgantown and Providence are my two 'must try to be there' away games. big fun, tho the folks in rhody can be a bit prickly at times. soooo, 12000 amped fans, who adore their coach, screaming their heads off? against our team which mostly hasn't had that experience yet? that's gotta hurt confidence in the game plan.
(heard at the game with around 2:30 to go: 'coach! why u taking out jmoney? u know that ur going to put him back in!' he did.)
given these two simple truths, hard to be confident driving ur car with 3 tires.
great game, great folks, and going in, a few neighbors thought typo would be a problem for them, but by the third q, they all thought 'forget him.'
they did like my jmoney cheers, and when coach took him out near the end, most also thought 'why?' after watching him fly around the floor all game.
and oh, playing the exact same minutes each season, around 19, his resume shows serious factual improvement results for well, everrthing each season. high up in league stats thus far for assists and steals, while adding almost 50% moar in points, and shooting 41% overall, with 42% on 3's. only guy whose to's equal his steals. ajax is still 1 to/ 1 assist - sumbody fix that, please. of course, jmoney also leads in assists/to's ratio as well. we got cheated when they didn't count his bucket.
i'd be more confident iffn typo's time was distributed to jmoney and hawk. other than that, coach is fine, team is fine, future is fine when we get back to adama and tmart, cuz, u know, that interior scoring thing.
pro tip: try to make a game at Morgantown or Providence - big fun, except that part, if ur driving to WV, where the trip computer sez 'proceed for 100 miles on this road.' 100 miles? (aboot 450 miles overall)
that's longer than our entire state! good thing we had a pail of black rock turnpike bagel king bagels - those things are starting to be a problem for me as lately, they're gone by late midday, and the store just closes. i was a bagel 'take them or leave them' sort until this recent revelation. must be his sourdough base. tasty!
and now, as a public service announcement for the hard of thinking,
https://bigeastconf_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/2021-2022/uconn.htm

Reaction Score
I don’t pin this on confidence. Missing those 2 major players changes every aspect of those final game closing minutes, and we still only lost by 3 points. We have enough talent to be in every game we play but if we have bad shooting the result will likely not be there. Even average 3 point shooting the other night gives us a 10 point win. We should not get down on the team because it could be ugly for awhile.
Fair point, but this needs to be seen in the longer view. It occurred last year, and the year before. There are always reasons why, but a pattern has emerged.

Reaction Score
Your statement is just as stupid the second time around. Congrats.

I'd recommend making an actually coherent argument instead of claiming I'm not relaxed. Suggests you have nothing worthwhile to say. Give me a lick of evidence that "mental toughness" is on the decline, and we'll have a discussion.
Participation trophies. Sounds like you may have a trophy case full of them.

Reaction Score
Look to the top - Hurley himself gets wound up to the max, and I think that woundupness carries over to his team and gets everyone playing tight. Crunch time loose beats tight.

Hurleys job in those instances is to project calm confidence “everything is under control - we got this”
Not to put you on the spot but how would you explain Jim Calhoun in this situation?

Reaction Score
Can someone explain why no one in the Media has asked Hurley why Diggins is not getting any run?
I think the fan base deserves to know why our future point guard is riding the pine when DH is concerned with burning up Cole.

Reaction Score
Rims were tight for UCONN, Huggins made a defensive switch at just the right time and no one other than Cole could seem to make a play when it mattered. We win this game with either Tyrese or Adama on the floor.

Reaction Score
Participation trophies. Sounds like you may have a trophy case full of them.

I have 17 amateur full-contact fights. There are two championship belts sitting in my living room. I went to college on a basketball scholarship.

GFTO of here. You don't know what toughness is, and never will.

Reaction Score
confidence was down? duh. let's review.
1. after camp, coach sez 'offense goes thru adama.'
20% of season in, coach is correct, and adama brings it, while rj is stepping it up, bigly, and tymart continues to be a 11/7 rock. noice. all told, a reliable interior offense develops. then, no adama, no tymart? no reliable interior offense. not from akok (still too soon, guy is just finishing his first couple of games, and looks more comfortable with each one.), not from ajax, a fine player who many here are starting to figger out that shooting is not his thing (how long till sum kooks here figger out that a horse game between he and sool could take a month to complete?), not from hawk, another fine player who should eventually settle down, not from whaley, who, quite frankly, is Mr Mistakeless (luv, luv, luv dat). forget typo, 10 years in, his record is clear -no handle, no dish, no boards (tho he seems to be less afraid of getting touched lately, and has picked up a board every now and then), no blocks, no steals, no interior skill. currently, he's 36% fg overall (worst on team), 31% from 3 (worst on team), soooooooo, no reliable interior offense without the two dudes. period. at one point, typo fired up a particularly odious jack that made an unnatural sound as it clanked, and it resonated thruout the building. everrone there heard it, and sum reacted with 'that's an odd sound....'
no one to throw it to inside? that's gotta hurt confidence in the game plan.
2. playing in Morgantown, a lovely place filled with lovely folks, but playing their first big game at home with a packed crowd in a loooong time. folks were jacked to the max, yet few took my sweet UConn hockey shirt as a personal affront. Morgantown and Providence are my two 'must try to be there' away games. big fun, tho the folks in rhody can be a bit prickly at times. soooo, 12000 amped fans, who adore their coach, screaming their heads off? against our team which mostly hasn't had that experience yet? that's gotta hurt confidence in the game plan.
(heard at the game with around 2:30 to go: 'coach! why u taking out jmoney? u know that ur going to put him back in!' he did.)
given these two simple truths, hard to be confident driving ur car with 3 tires.
great game, great folks, and going in, a few neighbors thought typo would be a problem for them, but by the third q, they all thought 'forget him.'
they did like my jmoney cheers, and when coach took him out near the end, most also thought 'why?' after watching him fly around the floor all game.
and oh, playing the exact same minutes each season, around 19, his resume shows serious factual improvement results for well, everrthing each season. high up in league stats thus far for assists and steals, while adding almost 50% moar in points, and shooting 41% overall, with 42% on 3's. only guy whose to's equal his steals. ajax is still 1 to/ 1 assist - sumbody fix that, please. of course, jmoney also leads in assists/to's ratio as well. we got cheated when they didn't count his bucket.
i'd be more confident iffn typo's time was distributed to jmoney and hawk. other than that, coach is fine, team is fine, future is fine when we get back to adama and tmart, cuz, u know, that interior scoring thing.
pro tip: try to make a game at Morgantown or Providence - big fun, except that part, if ur driving to WV, where the trip computer sez 'proceed for 100 miles on this road.' 100 miles? (aboot 450 miles overall)
that's longer than our entire state! good thing we had a pail of black rock turnpike bagel king bagels - those things are starting to be a problem for me as lately, they're gone by late midday, and the store just closes. i was a bagel 'take them or leave them' sort until this recent revelation. must be his sourdough base. tasty!
and now, as a public service announcement for the hard of thinking,
https://bigeastconf_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/2021-2022/uconn.htm
Well done........

Charlie Sheen Applause GIF

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Look to the top - Hurley himself gets wound up to the max, and I think that woundupness carries over to his team and gets everyone playing tight. Crunch time loose beats tight.

Hurleys job in those instances is to project calm confidence “everything is under control - we got this”
this is a good word, 'woundupness.' props.
methinks hawk has a case of this. i expect that his affliction will dissipate in time.

Reaction Score
It also falls on the veterans. Who on the team can you say is a leader? Who do you see holding everyone accountable on the court? No one.

Martin and Sanogo are the only ones I’ve seen talk trash to the opponents and bully them.
Leaders are usually guys who are future Huskies of Honor, which is what this team is lacking. Sanogo maybe, if he gets to play a couple two three full seasons.

Reaction Score
Not to put you on the spot but how would you explain Jim Calhoun in this situation?

Explained a little in post 18, and see maybe when I spoke of Hurly "getting wound up" or "going wild" it could be conflated with Calhoun yelling at his players.

What I was specifically referring to in the original post was a shot of Hurly pacing the sidelines in the waning moments of the game looking like his head was going to explode. He wasn't addressing anyone at the time. We aren't there, and don't know all the specifics, so we each kind of have to fill in the blanks using our personal experience. To me his manor pretty much shouted "We are so forked." I've got to believe the players pick up on that as well, and it gets everyone tight at the worst possible time.

Could be totally misreading the situation, after all we lost a tough road game without two critical starters. No big deal, but Hurly himself said the players seemed hesitant to shoot. Which of course prompts the OP's "why?"
Just calling it as I read it from my couch.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
That’s why I didn’t get the “he ripped the team at halftime” comment the other poster made. If he ripped them for not making the good looks, then it’s pretty clear what the problem was with their confidence in the second half. We got a bunch of good shots in the first half, the only problem was they didn’t fall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom