Hurley: “I think [Hawkins] is going to be a first-round draft pick at the end of the year” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley: “I think [Hawkins] is going to be a first-round draft pick at the end of the year”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Handle and strength are all that separated Hawkins from being really good last year. I get the sense that this is a well grounded kid with solid focus and a really good work ethic. Easy to see why Hurley sees a high ceiling for him, especially if his handle has improved. I think it's more a show of confidence than an intent to put pressure on him.

Reaction Score
Handle and strength are all that separated Hawkins from being really good last year. I get the sense that this is a well grounded kid with solid focus and a really good work ethic. Easy to see why Hurley sees a high ceiling for him, especially if his handle has improved. I think it's more a show of confidence than an intent to put pressure on him.
Great take and refreshing change from the negativity.

Reaction Score
I think Hawkins lost all confidence after that bad turnover against Auburn, which is a shame because we don’t win that game without him. Feel like it all compounded from there.

He progressed a lot as a defender throughout the year and if he really has put on 15 pounds of muscle then I have no concerns with his defense or strength.

Handle is a tough one. Hopefully he’s developed enough of a handle to survive. He won’t be bringing the ball up the court, just needs to be able to get it in his spot and create some space.

The tools and circumstances are there for him to make a huge jump and play himself into the first round. He’s just gotta deliver on it.

Reaction Score
Hawk will be fine.. Gonna make a lot of dough playin' at the next level..

Let's let the kid redeem himself and show his skills.. A good kid that is workin' hard at his deficiencies.

Reaction Score
This is something Hurley has always done to instill confidence. When he first got here he said Jalen AND Sid had a shot at the league. He said the same about Bouknight and Tyrese. So he's batting .500.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is something Hurley has always done to instill confidence. When he first got here he said Jalen AND Sid had a shot at the league. He said the same about Bouknight and Tyrese. So he's batting .500.
ABC

1667347157294.png

Reaction Score
Not sure it’s needed to state that he will be a first rounder but I’m sure Dan has his reasons. Samson is going to be on that wall someday too but he’s yet to have even earned a starting spot. Really would prefer to just let them earn it and not say much at all which is normally the way he is. We hear nothing from the man, then BOOM!

Anyway he played Hawkins last year as he should have no reason to think he deserved more time. The flashes were really all we saw now it’s time for some consistency on both ends. I do believe his improvement on the defensive end last year was very important. Can’t wait to see who he is when the balls thrown up, and the others as well.

Let’s go!!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not sure it’s needed to state that he will be a first rounder but I’m sure Dan has his reasons. Samson is going to be on that wall someday too but he’s yet to have even earned a starting spot. Really would prefer to just let them earn it and not say much at all which is normally the way he is. We hear nothing from the man, then BOOM!

Anyway he played Hawkins last year as he should have no reason to think he deserved more time. The flashes were really all we saw now it’s time for some consistency on both ends. I do believe his improvement on the defensive end last year was very important. Can’t wait to see who he is when the balls thrown up, and the others as well.

Let’s go!!!!
I think BYers have short memories. Aside from Auburn, Hawkins really wasn't hitting from outside, was turnover prone and was awful defensively early in the season. He tightened up the defense and earned minutes. His ballhandling became less reckless. He started making more shots. In short, he got better. So we are expecting him to keep getting better. If he does, he should be very good.

Reaction Score
He didn't do it on purpose. If we lost, woudn't it have been fair to say he blew the game?
"He almost did X, but didn't."

In some circumstances, that sentence is equivalent to "He tried to do X, but didn't." In this case, it isn't.

"He almost blew the game." is much more straightforward and accurate.

Reaction Score
There were way too many sequences last year where Hawkins looked like a boy among men.

Physical and mental toughness are much more of an issue than skill.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
There were way too many sequences last year where Hawkins looked like a boy among men.

Physical and mental toughness are much more of an issue than skill.
Yes he (and the other true freshman, namely SJ) performed appropriate to his (their) experience and highlighted how capable our coaching staff is at developing strength, mental toughness and defense.

If Hawk and Samson take the same developmental leaps that Adama and AJ took from Freshman to Sophomores we're a top 25 team with final four upside based on the talent of those 4 players alone.

The upside will come down to ball handling, how well our transfers gel and just how much defense and rebounding toughness we lost with the departure of Whaley, Martin and Cole.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes he (and the other true freshman, namely SJ) performed appropriate to his (their) experience and highlighted how capable our coaching staff is at developing strength, mental toughness and defense.

If Hawk and Samson take the same developmental leaps that Adama and AJ took from Freshman to Sophomores we're a top 25 team with final four upside based on the talent of those 4 players alone.

The upside will come down to ball handling, how well our transfers gel and just how much defense and rebounding toughness we lost with the departure of Whaley, Martin and Cole.
Yes, and I'll get the usual response for working in Samson here. My argument has been along these lines.

Samson played 68 minutes. He didn't do much. He was behind Whaley (5th year), Akok (3rd year) and even Polley (5th year) who all played the 4. He's somewhat new to the game compared to American kids. We didn't really need him at the 4, and what minutes he did get mostly came as a backup 5, where his lack of strength was exposed on defense. He's added a lot of muscle since.

Hawkins played 398 minutes. He had some glaring problems in his game in the first 68+ minutes he played (despite the critical effort vs Auburn). But he had only Martin in front of him, and Martin played the 3 at times, so we needed Hawk to play. Needed the shooting. Over the course of the 330 extra minutes he played, he got a lot better, especially on defense. He still struggled to score from 2pt in league play, he too, needed to get stronger, and did.

I see no reason why Johnson wouldn't similarly improve, or even more so.

Reaction Score
3 Huskies mentioned in this article. Actually 5. Hawkins and Jackson as potential first rounders and Sanogo a 2nd rounder. Karaban and Clingan in the "Future Prospects" category. No mention of Johnson.

The college basketball season is now only days away and, as part of our preview, we will be breaking down the best potential NBA prospects by conference.

Our pre-season coverage of draft prospects will stay consistent with the strategies uncovered in our recent poll of NBA scouts and executives.

Initially, our objective will be to establish a list of potential prospects for the coming draft and sort them into five main categories: potential lottery candidates; potential first round candidates; potential second round candidates; potential candidates for the Portsmouth Invitational or the G League Combine; and finally prospects to keep an eye on for future years.

Reaction Score

JORDAN HAWKINS, G, CONNECTICUT

High school ranking: 55

2021-22 stats: 5.8 points, 2.0 rebounds and 0.5 assists per game

Why he’ll make a jump: When it comes to players projected to take a big step forward during their second season, there aren't many whose name is coming up more often than Jordan Hawkins of Connecticut. The Huskies sure need him to be the guy for them because they've lost a lot of scoring punch with the departures of RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin.

They've got a stud on the interior in Adama Sanogo and Hawkins could make life a lot easier if he's able to live up to the hype. There were certainly some bright flashes of potential last season. He scored 16 points in just 15 minutes against Auburn very early in his career and showed the ability to be explosive off the bench. With an offseason to add some needed strength, get more comfortable with what is expected of him and to see how much opportunity he has ahead of him, there's no reason that Hawkins can't flourish during his sophomore season.

Those, like myself, who are picking him to break out this season aren't exactly going on a limb. But, he should end up making us look good and that will be great for Dan Hurley and Uconn.

Who wants to tell Bossi it's UConn and not Uconn? :)

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Lol at the excuses being made on why Hawkins, a future NBA talent at a position with no depth, didn’t play.

We’ve literally never had problem playing talented freshman before. This is not college football where you tuck away guys for a year.

Reaction Score
Lol at the excuses being made on why Hawkins, a future NBA talent at a position with no depth, didn’t play.

We’ve literally never had problem playing talented freshman before. This is not college football where you tuck away guys for a year.
A position with no depth? Tyrese Martin got drafted and got a guaranteed contract. In the NBA. Hawkins WAS the depth. He was also behind Andre Jackson, a player with an extra year on campus who is also a future NBA talent (projected top 35 pick this year). Other player in the way was a 5th year senior reigning 6 Man of the Year in the conference who is 3 years older and has been in the system for 4 years.

He didn't play much right away because he sprained his ankle the Saturday before the season opener. He ramped back up, played a bunch, then even more when Martin got hurt. Then Martin came back and Hawkins had a 4-game shooting slump to start Big East play where he shot 3/22 combined. Then he got COVID. He didn't play much the next 7 games as he was recovering and improving. Then he started playing more again before he got the season ending concussion. It's not excuses, it's just the reality.

Reaction Score
Hawk, if he can stay injury free, will be the Hawk - no doubt in my mind. However, he is still a very young man and Hurly needs to be somewhat careful on how much pressure he puts on his shoulders - especially at the onset of the season.
CP3 sees a huge upside in AH's game and ability to translate the skills he has at the next level but he needs to work on a few things. I'm sure CP3 gave Hurley the lowdown and I hope DH handles it correctly but most importantly - positively
I see big things happening in Storrs this coming winter
Chief likes Jordan’s game, but I agree what’s wrong waiting for him to create a body of work, a resume if you will before certifying for the NBA. He mostly came off the bench last season, and there were good moments and non productive ones.
The appropriate motivation is Jordan did not even make the Big East third team, as voted by the coaches. Yet, somehow he’s NBA ready because a scout saw him torch up a practice.
Again, I think he can leave here a very good player but quite frankly the last thing Danny needs is another guy leave too early. Thankfully, Jordan is an outstanding citizen off the court, but he can get stronger and more confident from game experience. A good wine takes time.

Reaction Score
3 Huskies mentioned in this article. Actually 5. Hawkins and Jackson as potential first rounders and Sanogo a 2nd rounder. Karaban and Clingan in the "Future Prospects" category. No mention of Johnson.

The college basketball season is now only days away and, as part of our preview, we will be breaking down the best potential NBA prospects by conference.

Our pre-season coverage of draft prospects will stay consistent with the strategies uncovered in our recent poll of NBA scouts and executives.

Initially, our objective will be to establish a list of potential prospects for the coming draft and sort them into five main categories: potential lottery candidates; potential first round candidates; potential second round candidates; potential candidates for the Portsmouth Invitational or the G League Combine; and finally prospects to keep an eye on for future years.

I understand potential and projecting to a NBA style game. However, to minimize game production is a mistake. Of course, Adama Sanogo is an NBA capable player. He can beat the other team. Who wouldn’t want a strong guy who can rebound, score and defend on their side? Sometimes these articles overthink things.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
A position with no depth? Tyrese Martin got drafted and got a guaranteed contract. In the NBA. Hawkins WAS the depth. He was also behind Andre Jackson, a player with an extra year on campus who is also a future NBA talent (projected top 35 pick this year). Other player in the way was a 5th year senior reigning 6 Man of the Year in the conference who is 3 years older and has been in the system for 4 years.

He didn't play much right away because he sprained his ankle the Saturday before the season opener. He ramped back up, played a bunch, then even more when Martin got hurt. Then Martin came back and Hawkins had a 4-game shooting slump to start Big East play where he shot 3/22 combined. Then he got COVID. He didn't play much the next 7 games as he was recovering and improving. Then he started playing more again before he got the season ending concussion. It's not excuses, it's just the reality.
Ryan Boatright playing behind Shabazz and Lamb, way better talents. Got 30 minutes a game. Jalen Adams on a veteran team got 25 mins. Hell did you know Deandre Daniel’s started over Roscoe Smith and Niels Giffey his freshman year coming off an NC?

But you think a bunch is 15 mins a game and this guy couldn’t get PT because of Tyler Polley? These are excuses. I am not exaggerating when I say outside of when Martin was hurt he had two games where he played over 20 minutes. That was 21 and 20. He literally never got close to getting the time past successful players who didn’t have his level of talent got.

Reaction Score
Ryan Boatright playing behind Shabazz and Lamb, way better talents. Got 30 minutes a game. Jalen Adams on a veteran team got 25 mins. Hell did you know Deandre Daniel’s started over Roscoe Smith and Niels Giffey his freshman year coming off an NC?

But you think a bunch is 15 mins a game and this guy couldn’t get PT because of Tyler Polley? These are excuses. I am not exaggerating when I say outside of when Martin was hurt he had two games where he played over 20 minutes. That was 21 and 20. He literally never got close to getting the time past successful players who didn’t have his level of talent got.

Deandre Daniels started early but his minutes decreased his freshman year much like Hawkins, maybe even less.

Reaction Score

Ryan Boatright didn't play behind Shabazz or Lamb. He started alongside them. Those 2 got more minutes than any of the guys ahead of Hawkins did. So if Hurley wanted to start Hawkins alongside Martin and Jackson (NBA talents), he'd have to take minutes from Whaley and push Jackson to the 4, another 5th year senior and reigning conference defensive player of the year.

As mentioned in another comment, the people whose minutes Boatright actually took from was freshmen DeAndre Daniels and sophomores Giffey snd Roscoe Smith. Roscoe earned the lions share between those 3 and Daniels was posting 7 minutes or less in the last 7 games of the year and didn't crack 20 minutes a game from December onward. 5* recruit, future NCAA champion, NBA draft pick DeAndre Daniels playing less than 10 minutes s game??? Calhoun doesn't recognize talent, clearly.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think BYers have short memories. Aside from Auburn, Hawkins really wasn't hitting from outside, was turnover prone and was awful defensively early in the season. He tightened up the defense and earned minutes. His ballhandling became less reckless. He started making more shots. In short, he got better. So we are expecting him to keep getting better. If he does, he should be very good.
That's a logical sequence and it might have helped if DH added the "if" factor instead of just pronouncing it as if it was already done. It's still possible based on potential unless we are in for an enormous surprise. As you pointed out he got better because he worked at it (with coaches willing to help). It always comes down to talent, being teachable and hard work. No doubt the raw talent is there. Just have to overcome obstacles which is easier said than done. Interesting that Kemba admitted to being taken to school by Rondo when they were teammates on that summer tour. I am sure he knew before that tour that he needed to overcome the problem with his mid-range game. He found out exactly what he needed to do to shore up his game and he worked at it. No doubt that increased his confidence as we saw in his last year from the very start. Everyone is pulling for you Hawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom