6) 14-12
7) 13-13

8) 19-8, then he started to become the legend that he is today

What I'm saying is that it takes time to find what works for you as a coach

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Coach K coached 5 years at Army, was 73-59 and the last year there was his worst at 9-17

Then he went to Dook, where his career began

17-13
10-17
11-17

I'm thinking his first year must have been with the "other coaches" players too

a 500 coach through his first 8 years

Last edited:
Reaction Score
all at Northeastern

1) 19-7
2) 12-11
3) 12-12
4) 12-13
5) 12-14
6) 14-12
7) 13-13

8) 19-8, them he started to become the legend that he is today

And then the vast majority get worse and get fired.

willie99

Reaction Score
And then the vast majority get worse and get fired.

Nope, even the great ones had to learn the ropes, with my point being "it takes time" to find your inner self in a tough profession

willie99

Reaction Score
Bill Belichick was fired by the Cleveland Browns after 5 seasons, went 36-44

Then started 5-11 with the Patriots

the GOAT started his career 41-55

Now I'm not comparing Ollie favorably to any of these guys, just pointing out "it takes time" to evolve

Kevin is still very young

Reaction Score
all at Northeastern

1) 19-7
2) 12-11
3) 12-12
4) 12-13
5) 12-14
6) 14-12
7) 13-13

You can't compare back then and today, it was a very different time, before big money changed the game. JC built the program. The Uconn coaching position should be viewed as a destination job. The standard has been set, the bar raised.

KO is probably better suited to be an NBA coach, I'm not sure yet. Other coaches do more with less, and it seems like KO needs a stacked team to win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
all at Northeastern

1) 19-7
2) 12-11
3) 12-12
4) 12-13
5) 12-14
6) 14-12
7) 13-13

willie99

Reaction Score
You can't compare back then and today, it was a very different time, before big money changed the game. JC built the program. The Uconn coaching position should be viewed as a destination job. The standard has been set, the bar raised.

KO is probably better suited to be an NBA coach, I'm not sure yet. Other coaches teams do more with less, and it seems like KO needs a stacked team to win.

What program has not diminished after a coaching legend leaves? Almost all have, in every sport at every level

One exception may be KU, when they replace Williams with Self

The programs take a step backwards, and then many if not most regroup and regain their footing and step it up again

Reaction Score
I don’t think UCONN has the time to wait for Coach Ollie to develop. I think the program is close to being on life support. There is only one thing worse than a disgruntled fan base and that’s one that no longer cares. I hope it doesn’t get to that point.

Reaction Score
Calhoun technically started at Old Lyme high school in 1968 and coached one full season. My father was on the team. In his late 20s at the time, Calhoun’s go-to criticism to his 16 year old players was to yell to them they “s*** the bed” whenever they screwed up. They also ran many a lap.

The team finished 3-16 that season. Everyone starts somewhere.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why you are making excuses for Ollie. He hasn't started at a mid-major like Calhoun and K. He's being paid like a high major coach and is actually one of the highest paid college basketball coaches and he's not producing like that. If he were a CEO of a major corporation, which is what he's being paid like, he'd probably already be fired. Typically people in business, sports, everything, don't get paid $3 million to learn on the job. Maybe he took a job he wasn't ready for and maybe it's Warde Manuel's fault for giving him that job. But that is in the past and we can't change that. Obviously we got a NC in 2014 and I wouldn't give that back. But we're here now.

He started out well his first 2 seasons and then it's been down hill the last 3 seasons (2015-2016 was O.K. but in my opinion that team under achieved big time). There are rumblings that there are things behind the scenes that he has lots of problems running a program, which is more troubling to me for the future.

He won't get as many years as Calhoun and K to improve. If he was at a mid-major or low major he'd have a much longer leash. I'm not advocating firing him at this point but he does need to start showing something or else he will be fired. UConn should be able to do much better with their $3 million salary offer than what they are getting right now. I'm not expecting another Jim Calhoun to walk through the doors anytime soon but we should expect better. If people want to wait another 3-4 years before Ollie starts producing like he's being paid you might be the only ones at games. He's already starting to lose the fan base. UConn can't afford to have the crowds they're having at games. I've been a fan of UConn basketball for over 40 years and even 40 years ago I don't remember the crowds being this small. UConn fan outrage will turn to apathy and then we're going to be in big trouble. UConn can't afford for that to happen.

Reaction Score
I like this thread a lot because it shows that not all hope is lost. The only difference I see between JC and KO early career is his posture in games and player respect. Players don't seem to trust KO and often make joke about him when they leave. Also JC was confident even in a loss he was always drawing stuff up and his team put forwards a effort. That's what I see lacking here. That's why I get upset watching this program.

Reaction Score
Calhoun had an eye for hidden talent and then getting the best out of his players. He’s got to be a grinder in golf....

Reaction Score
Unless you are a blue blood and there are only 4. (Kentucky, Duke, NC and Kanasas) You always are going to have a stretch of several yrs where the team struggles and the fans call for the coach's head. This happens because the ones and done that can turn around the program does not go there. Sterling Gibbs will tell you the difference between Willard n Ollie was night and day. UCONN was the best thing to happen to him. Well, Willard got rid of that club house cancer from Brooklyn and the team is alot better now. Is he a much better coach now also. I am not sure but he has pieces that want to learn. Shonn Miller also loves the team and he practically spend this whole summer here training and rehabbing. What does it tell u that 2 mature intelligent athletes people wants to work with Ollie. They had many college coaches. Now, I can't say what happen with last yr's team but I'll continue to root for this team. I am really looking forward to the team in 2018

Reaction Score
Willie
You do know that Northeastern moved from D2 to D1 I’m Calhoun’s 2nd year, right? Think that might have contributed to some of those records?

2nd point, K, Dean, Calhoun all started at lesser programs and learned their crafts before taking over bigger ones. Ollie never learned the basics.

Finally, just stop. When Ollie takes multiple teams to the Final Four, wins multiple titles you can compare him tonDean, K and Jim Calhoun. Until then please stop. You just make yourself look foolish.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why you are making excuses for Ollie. He hasn't started at a mid-major like Calhoun and K. He's being paid like a high major coach and is actually one of the highest paid college basketball coaches and he's not producing like that. If he were a CEO of a major corporation, which is what he's being paid like, he'd probably already be fired. Typically people in business, sports, everything, don't get paid $3 million to learn on the job. Maybe he took a job he wasn't ready for and maybe it's Warde Manuel's fault for giving him that job. But that is in the past and we can't change that. Obviously we got a NC in 2014 and I wouldn't give that back. But we're here now.

He started out well his first 2 seasons and then it's been down hill the last 3 seasons (2015-2016 was O.K. but in my opinion that team under achieved big time). There are rumblings that there are things behind the scenes that he has lots of problems running a program, which is more troubling to me for the future.

He won't get as many years as Calhoun and K to improve. If he was at a mid-major or low major he'd have a much longer leash. I'm not advocating firing him at this point but he does need to start showing something or else he will be fired. UConn should be able to do much better with their $3 million salary offer than what they are getting right now. I'm not expecting another Jim Calhoun to walk through the doors anytime soon but we should expect better. If people want to wait another 3-4 years before Ollie starts producing like he's being paid you might be the only ones at games. He's already starting to lose the fan base. UConn can't afford to have the crowds they're having at games. I've been a fan of UConn basketball for over 40 years and even 40 years ago I don't remember the crowds being this small. UConn fan outrage will turn to apathy and then we're going to be in big trouble. UConn can't afford for that to happen.
The fan base already disappear in football and it is not coming back. The sad reality is that with the AAC, we will not have an excited base because most casual fan do not care for playing football against Tulsa, Tulane etc. They watch 1-3 games a yr. The attendance against our old big east rivals in basketball will be a better gauge of our fans impact. I went to the Providence game and it was UCONN 2/1 over Prov fans. I know one sure way to an empty arena for the program is to fire Ollie, destroyed our recruiting for 2018 and 2019. None of the coaches being mentioned has any pedigree to bring in high level recruits for the AAC. Now if we have 8 million a yr for somebody like Donovan with the state budget. He probably cant do any better

willie99

Reaction Score
Willie
You do know that Northeastern moved from D2 to D1 I’m Calhoun’s 2nd year, right? Think that might have contributed to some of those records?

2nd point, K, Dean, Calhoun all started at lesser programs and learned their crafts before taking over bigger ones. Ollie never learned the basics.

Finally, just stop. When Ollie takes multiple teams to the Final Four, wins multiple titles you can compare him tonDean, K and Jim Calhoun. Until then please stop. You just make yourself look foolish.

"just stop", because none of those guys did it in their first few years, that's my argument

It takes time

you can keep pretending coaches are great out of the gate, but I think that's delusional

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

KO is probably better suited to be an NBA coach, I'm not sure yet. Other coaches do more with less, and it seems like KO needs a stacked team to win.

Indiana considered a destination job?

Reaction Score
"just stop", because none of those guys did it in their first few years, that's my argument

It takes time

you can keep pretending coaches are great out of the gate, but I think that's delusional

I don't think anyone doubts that Ollie can eventually become a good coach. The question is will he develop before our program is completely ruined.

We should hire a coach that is already seasoned - knows how to build a staff, knows how to recruit players that fit a system, knows how to develop these players, knows how to prepare a team for a game, motivate, make in game adjustments, etc.

We do not need to pay 8m to get a Billy Donovan in order to upgrade our situation. Right now Ollie is a bad D1 coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom