How good will Tennessee be next year? | The Boneyard

How good will Tennessee be next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DanDar

They are getting a 6'5 center and a top 10 guard. Do you think they will finally be able to beat teams in their path to meet up with UConn?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Guard play will determine how far Tenn goes next year. IMHO if Simmons starts for most of their games and in the tournament, then they bow out in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8.

A lot of fans and experts thought that Elizabeth Williams the #1 post player coming out of HS would get Duke to the promise land and so far it hasn't. Many are expecting the same out of Mercedes Russell. IMHO Mercedes is not the talent that Williams was coming out of HS, so I would expect similar results. The potential is there, but I don't think the Lady Vols have a SuperStar that can carry a team for 6 games in the tournament. Now if they get to the Final Four, which is held in Nashville, then they'll definitely have the fan support. Can you imagine a UConn vs Lady Vols game for the National Championship in Nashville? An ESPN Dream.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I think they will be pretty good. I think Holly has finally figured out that Simmons isn't the answer, and will figure out how to fix that, or excise it. Russell didn't do much at the WBCA game, and I missed the McD game, but I expect her to be a force, and they have enough other pieces to return to the top tier.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Will definitely be interesting to see--they'll have a very strong frontline in Russell/Harrison/Graves/Burdick. Guards should be strong with Tucker/Massengale/Simmons, still think that they wont be a final four team until 2014-15. Honestly I don't know if Simmons' presence is positive or negative in the lineup....with someone as streaky as her, it's dangerous giving her the green light to shoot at will. For Tennessee to be a final four team, I think they need Graves/Russell each taking 10+ shots a game, plus Harrison averaging about 6-7 shots a night off the bench. I also think next year will be make or break for Massengale in regards to her living up to her hype, she wasn't healthy all of this season but I think she needs to do a better job of commanding the team, distributing the ball and scoring herself, just need her to be a more aggressive player. Not sure if this will happen though prior to the graduation of Simmons.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think they will be pretty good. I think Holly has finally figured out that Simmons isn't the answer, and will figure out how to fix that, or excise it. Russell didn't do much at the WBCA game, and I missed the McD game, but I expect her to be a force, and they have enough other pieces to return to the top tier.

She was MVP of the McDonald's game so she performed well in that one.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think Graves, already a standout as a freshman, is a real blue-chipper already but will make a big jump next year as all top players do. You add a big body like Mercedes and that gives Graves more room to do damage. They also bring back Carter. Given the lack of really dominant teams out there next year aside from UCONN, I think the LVs can go far next year. They might start a little slow (again) with a freshman center and all, but by tournament time they will be tough, barring injury. I think they will make it to Nashville.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
What is good about Simmons is that she takes a lot of shots, makes some, and keeps Tennessee in the game(s).

What is bad about Simmons is that she takes a lot of shots, misses many, and keeps Tennessee's opponent(s) in the game(s).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
From the little I saw of TN this year I think the problem starts with Massengale and Simmons. I just don't think they are consistently reliable which is what you need from your guards. But TN did play better than I expected and had a very good year considering what went before and Holly being in her first year. They will have a strong front court, but counting on their freshman Tucker and the other two is a pretty tough read for their success.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Earlier in the year there was a thread about the importance of guard play at Tennessee. I looked at some stats and discovered how bad UTenn has been in the A/TO category over the last few years. It just doesn't seem to be high on their coaching list.

This year they were ranked 61st in that category. They had an A/TO ratio of 0.92! Contrast that to UConn's 1.43 (ranked 3rd).

Reaction Score
I think UTenn has a really good front line with Russell/Harrison/Graves/Burdick. when I've watched Massengale play, she's been a tentative shooter...this may be a strength if it means more assists to the front line. Simmons is the reverse...if she keeps taking early shots and driving with her head down, she squanders the value of that front line. Conversely, if she can drive and dish and shoot defenses out of a packed zone, she can make that line hummmm. Really up to Holly and her staff to get the right chemistry, and if they do they could be a Final Four team with the talent they have.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I don't think they will be much better than this year. They lose Spani and Williams, probably their two most reliable players, and bring back a lot of mediocrity, except for Graves, who is very good. If the incoming frosh are able to offset the graduation losses to any degree, they will be fortunate.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Earlier in the year there was a thread about the importance of guard play at Tennessee. I looked at some stats and discovered how bad UTenn has been in the A/TO category over the last few years. It just doesn't seem to be high on their coaching list.

This year they were ranked 61st in that category. They had an A/TO ratio of 0.92! Contrast that to UConn's 1.43 (ranked 3rd).
LOL. I can recall reading an article at the end of last season saying that UT had undertaken a detailed statistical analysis of their performance measured against other top teams. I believe one of the conclusions was that they had a much lower level of assists and this would need to be a major point of emphasis going forward.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
On a historical note, the only time that the FF has previously been played in TN was back in 1990 when UTenn was the defending champion and the FF was in their home Knoxville at TBA instead of Nashville like in 2014. It was the 48-team tourney era back then, and as #1 seed UTenn after a 1st round bye got its 2nd-round game at home to knock off ODU. The regionals were in Norfolk, VA though, and after beating Clemson in the 3rd round the Vols met up with #2 seed Virginia and lost in OT. So they never got to play in their own home FF.

A lot of the questions for the 2014 Vols will again revolve around the question who they catch and where prior to the FF. And if they do lose in an FF game, they will blame it all on Vanderbilt, and with good reason.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I don't think they will be much better than this year. They lose Spani and Williams, probably their two most reliable players, and bring back a lot of mediocrity, except for Graves, who is very good. If the incoming frosh are able to offset the graduation losses to any degree, they will be fortunate.

Don't forget Carter. I do agree they lose a lot, but I thought ND lost a lot.

Reaction Score
... A lot of fans and experts thought that Elizabeth Williams the #1 post player coming out of HS would get Duke to the promise land and so far it hasn't. Many are expecting the same out of Mercedes Russell. IMHO Mercedes is not the talent that Williams was coming out of HS, so I would expect similar results ...

Wow - that's quite a logical leap, given that there must be a dozen other variables to be factored into the calculation.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
On a historical note, the only time that the FF has previously been played in TN was back in 1990 when UTenn was the defending champion and the FF was in their home Knoxville at TBA instead of Nashville like in 2014. It was the 48-team tourney era back then, and as #1 seed UTenn after a 1st round bye got its 2nd-round game at home to knock off ODU. The regionals were in Norfolk, VA though, and after beating Clemson in the 3rd round the Vols met up with #2 seed Virginia and lost in OT. So they never got to play in their own home FF.

A lot of the questions for the 2014 Vols will again revolve around the question who they catch and where prior to the FF. And if they do lose in an FF game, they will blame it all on Vanderbilt, and with good reason.

Yeah and Texas lost early when the FF was on their campus. Doesn't look like a good omen for teams called UT to host the FF in their state.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I say a very good team. Add Russell to Harrison and Graves that improved the post game. Add Carter and Reynolds to guards. The team should be stronger than last year baring injuries. I expect a final four.

Reaction Score
Tenn beat no one of substance to get to Elite 8. Could be better next year and lose earlier. Expect Uconn, Duke, Trees, Maryland, ND to be better than Tenn and if Tenn isn't a 1 seed could be playing some pretty good teams in sweet 16.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Actually twice for UT. In 1985, they would end up ranked #1 in the AP, and the FF venue was their home court. But they were tripped up by Western Kentucky 92–90 in the Regional semifinals. They went on to win an NC in 1986 in Kentucky.

Then in 1987, they would again be good enough to earn the #1 spot in the AP poll, with a Final Four at their home arena. This time, they would make it to the Final Four, but they were tripped up 79–75 in the National Semi-final.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Guard play will determine how far Tenn goes next year. IMHO if Simmons starts for most of their games and in the tournament, then they bow out in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8.

A lot of fans and experts thought that Elizabeth Williams the #1 post player coming out of HS would get Duke to the promise land and so far it hasn't. Many are expecting the same out of Mercedes Russell. IMHO Mercedes is not the talent that Williams was coming out of HS, so I would expect similar results. The potential is there, but I don't think the Lady Vols have a SuperStar that can carry a team for 6 games in the tournament. Now if they get to the Final Four, which is held in Nashville, then they'll definitely have the fan support. Can you imagine a UConn vs Lady Vols game for the National Championship in Nashville? An ESPN Dream.
Yes and UConn winning their 9th NC against Tenn in Tenn and Geno passes Pat?????????????

bballnut90

Reaction Score

If Tennessee is healthy next year (always a huge if) then they'll be a much improved team. A healthy Massengale/Burdick/Carter/Harrison will be huge. Add in the top overall recruit in the country, plus a stronger Graves (assuming she hits the weights this summer) and Tennessee looks pretty potent. They will be a far cry from UCONN or from the traditional Tennessee Final Four teams, but they'll be a strong team that should be a final four contender. I'll be very surprised if we see Tenn drop 8 games next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom