How good will Tennessee be next year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How good will Tennessee be next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Since UConn is favored to win next year...everybody knows that it is a down year. :)

That being said TN is loaded with talent. Graves, Harrison, Burdick, Russell, Simmons, Massengale, Tucker, Carter, Reynolds... I'm picking them for the final four along with Duke who will be loaded with returnees and a top recruiting class, UConn, of course and Stanford who will come out of the weak West.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think Graves, already a standout as a freshman, is a real blue-chipper already but will make a big jump next year as all top players do. You add a big body like Mercedes and that gives Graves more room to do damage. They also bring back Carter. Given the lack of really dominant teams out there next year aside from UCONN, I think the LVs can go far next year. They might start a little slow (again) with a freshman center and all, but by tournament time they will be tough, barring injury. I think they will make it to Nashville.

Funny how Graves has fared in our estimation as the season unfolded.

Pre-season: Fine player but doesn't hold a candle to Stewie
Mid-season: Wow, she's doing great, did we underestimate her (and over-estimate our prodigy).
Post-season: Go back to pre-season

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Also worth noting is the effect of having the top overall recruit in your class sign on:
2012: Breanna Stewart-14 points, 6 boards, 2 blocks per game, Final Four MOP on loaded roster (First Title in 3 years)
2011: KML-15 points, 5 rebounds, played in Final Four on very talented roster
2010: Chiney Ogwumike-12 points, 8 rebounds, 57% FG, Final Four on loaded roster
2009: Brittney Griner-18 points, 8.5 rebounds, 6.4 blocks, Final Four on average roster (first Final Four in 5 years)
2008: EDD-26.7 ppg, no NCAA on weak roster
2007: Maya Moore-18 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists on very talented roster, led team to Final Four (first time in 4 years)

I'd consider Tennessee to have a similar roster to Baylor's in 2009-10. Not saying Russell will have the same impact that these other recruits have had, but odds are she'll have a tremendous impact on Tennessee from the get go.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'd say Graves is every bit as good as I thought she'd be. Which is very good...but no, doesn't hold a candle to Stewie. Hardly a slight.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think Russell will have a impact right away. Harrison did improve a good amount this year. Graves had to do a lot more when Harrison was out. Carter will be real good.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Earlier in the year there was a thread about the importance of guard play at Tennessee. I looked at some stats and discovered how bad UTenn has been in the A/TO category over the last few years. It just doesn't seem to be high on their coaching list.

This year they were ranked 61st in that category. They had an A/TO ratio of 0.92! Contrast that to UConn's 1.43 (ranked 3rd).

Offense has always been over looked at TN, and with it also the development of their guards. When they have had a guard come in with complete skills, then we have a different story. But lately that hasn't happened.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I'd say Graves is every bit as good as I thought she'd be. Which is very good...but no, doesn't hold a candle to Stewie. Hardly a slight.

I liked what I saw of Graves when I watched a few Tennessee games, however she hangs out at the low post most of the time which limits her impact on the game (unlike our bigs who play both high and low post positions). Graves is big and strong and goes after rebounds and putbacks very hard.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yeah and Texas lost early when the FF was on their campus. Doesn't look like a good omen for teams called UT to host the FF in their state.

So you are saying if the WCBB Final Four is ever held in Ohio... dont count on Toledo to make it ? ;)

Reaction Score
I think Graves, already a standout as a freshman, is a real blue-chipper already but will make a big jump next year as all top players do. You add a big body like Mercedes and that gives Graves more room to do damage. They also bring back Carter. Given the lack of really dominant teams out there next year aside from UCONN, I think the LVs can go far next year. They might start a little slow (again) with a freshman center and all, but by tournament time they will be tough, barring injury. I think they will make it to Nashville.
I think you nailed it Mike. In 2014-15 when Simmons leaves and Russell and Tucker have a year under their belts I think they become the 2nd best team in the country. But the gap between 1 and 2 will be huge.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
So you are saying if the WCBB Final Four is ever held in Ohio... dont count on Toledo to make it ? ;)

Heh. Exactly. In 1997, when the FF was in Ohio, and UT (The one on Toledo) made it to the dance by winning the MAC, and bringing a 27–3 record, they were beaten by Stephen F. Austin, which isn't UT but they are a University from Texas.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
In 2007 Ohio State was a 4 seed, with a FF, not in their home town, but at least in their home state.

However, they were upset in the first round by Marist.

So not a good track record for teams playing in tourney with chance to play at home, especially or UT teams, but others as well.

Reaction Score
Since UConn is favored to win next year...everybody knows that it is a down year. :)

That being said TN is loaded with talent. Graves, Harrison, Burdick, Russell, Simmons, Massengale, Tucker, Carter, Reynolds... I'm picking them for the final four along with Duke who will be loaded with returnees and a top recruiting class, UConn, of course and Stanford who will come out of the weak West.

a) the west is not as weak as you think it is. It's easy to research the classes coming in at Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UW, etc.
b) how strong will the leftover conference AAC be?
c) there is no guarantee Stanford will be in the F4 due to injuries. We lose Kokenis, but get Beebe back, a top 5 post player, a player the media failed to mention this yr. I do like our chances, IF we are healthy. We won in TN before and can do it again.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Yeah, keep an eye on UW. They almost made the tourney this year but for a late season stumble, but a great coaching staff (McGuff, Neighbors, Barnes) will have a better year next year.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
We won in TN before and can do it again.

That location had special significance because of Azzi, from Oak Ridge, which is barely out of Knoxville. I don't see any similar connection next year, but I'd never discount the possibility that Stanford will be in Nashville.

Reaction Score
That location had special significance because of Azzi, from Oak Ridge, which is barely out of Knoxville. I don't see any similar connection next year, but I'd never discount the possibility that Stanford will be in Nashville.

yea, I aware of that, was there.

Reaction Score
Tenn beat no one of substance to get to Elite 8. Could be better next year and lose earlier. Expect Uconn, Duke, Trees, Maryland, ND to be better than Tenn and if Tenn isn't a 1 seed could be playing some pretty good teams in sweet 16.
I think Tenn will be right there with ND and Stfd. Maybe Russell won't make a big impact her freshman year but I'm inclined to think that Russell plus Tucker plus Carter plus Graves making the sophomore leap will put Tenn somewhere between #4 and #6 for 2014.

Reaction Score
Stanford has TN at home in Dec., likely before heading east to play UConn.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
That game normaly is right before Christmas. Looking forward to the game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And may you knock the orange right out of their uni's!! You guys landed McCall and Johnson, both top 20 kids, and then 3 others including Samuelson - who I don't know if she will be really good, good, or average. Will Kokenis be back? At least you have Orrange. What do you expect Stanford to look like for next year?

Reaction Score
And may you knock the orange right out of their uni's!! You guys landed McCall and Johnson, both top 20 kids, and then 3 others including Samuelson - who I don't know if she will be really good, good, or average. Will Kokenis be back? At least you have Orrange. What do you expect Stanford to look like for next year?

I hope so! We got much needed post help for Chiney, plus getting Beebe back from ACL will help too. It looks like Toni will NOT be back :( Stanford and Toni haven't said what's wrong, but I completely respect her privacy and applaud Stanford for following HIPPA and not giving into fans or media. We just hope she is okay and can finish school and gets healthy.

Camp and Greene should be stronger in the backcourt after limited time due to injuries, and Orrange really improved too. We'll be top 5 and should win the conf as Cal loses more than us.

Reaction Score
That game normaly is right before Christmas. Looking forward to the game.

Yea, so we may go east first then come back and finish at home before the holiday break.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hope so! We got much needed post help for Chiney, plus getting Beebe back from ACL will help too. It doesn't look like Toni will NOT be back :( Stanford and Toni haven't said what's wrong, but I completely respect her privacy and applaud Stanford for following HIPPA and not giving into fans or media. We just hope she is okay and can finish school and gets healthy.

Camp and Greene should be stronger in the backcourt after limited time due to injuries, and Orrange really improved too. We'll be top 5 and should win the conf as Cal loses more than us.
I forgot about getting Bebe back. She was a top 10 recruit in her year too. Stanford should be right up there - you only lose Tinkle.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Best of the South. Duke, Tennesee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt... and UNC. Best of the West: Stanford. Best of the Midwest: Notre Dame and Maryland. Then there is UCONN.

Reaction Score
Actually twice for UT. In 1985, they would end up ranked #1 in the AP, and the FF venue was their home court. But they were tripped up by Western Kentucky 92–90 in the Regional semifinals. They went on to win an NC in 1986 in Kentucky.

Then in 1987, they would again be good enough to earn the #1 spot in the AP poll, with a Final Four at their home arena. This time, they would make it to the Final Four, but they were tripped up 79–75 in the National Semi-final.
According to the wiki link you provided you have the wrong result. Tenn won NC by 23 according to Wiki.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom