How good is Bria Hartley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How good is Bria Hartley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Bria played all 45 minutes. Diggins played 42. Maybe if Geno could have given Bria a 3 minutebreather somewhere along the line, she would have been fresher at the end of regulation and OT would not have been necessary.....just sayin'

Reaction Score
I like her First Team All American chances. She is already having a better season than Renee Montgomery's junior year, and has been stellar in the big games.

The front-runners are Sims, Diggins, EDD, Nneka, Griner. Tough for Hartley to break through that.
For 30 mins yday, I thought Hartley could displace Diggins, but then Skylar took over the game and led her team to victory.

Reaction Score
For those that may have missed it, when Bria went to the bench after fouling out, while she was sitting next to CD, her eyes weld up with tears. I personally love it when a player of her stature cares that much about the game and the outcome. She is a very good player right now and with her willingness to work hard and her drive to become better, only great things in store for her.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
To be fair to Bria, if she fixes her turnovers and late game free throws (I don't think her defense needs to improve, to be quite honest..she was guarding Diggins, and guarding her pretty well..for a lot of the game) she's going to be pretty flawless..like Sue Bird perfect.

It would help if she could develop a pull-up jumper as well...save a lot of charging calls and add another dimension to her game.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
The front-runners are Sims, Diggins, EDD, Nneka, Griner. Tough for Hartley to break through that.
For 30 mins yday, I thought Hartley could displace Diggins, but then Skylar took over the game and led her team to victory.

Skylar couldn't have done it without Novosel and McBride

Reaction Score
Bria is UCONN "s best player when its crunch time......She needs help and KML is still learning to compete at this level and will be a much different player come March.........

Reaction Score
For those that may have missed it, when Bria went to the bench after fouling out, while she was sitting next to CD, her eyes weld up with tears. I personally love it when a player of her stature cares that much about the game and the outcome. She is a very good player right now and with her willingness to work hard and her drive to become better, only great things in store for her.

I could not care less.

Reaction Score

Maybe not the five man team, but there is the ten person first team(the same one that Ms Montgomery was named to her junior year) to which Ms Hartley might find herself named.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We are all very high on next years freshman class. I hope we are not expecting them to come in next season and play like upperclassman. It will take time. Geno will work them in but much like all freshman, they will have their moments of greatness and their moments of inexperience.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
We are all very high on next years freshman class. I hope we are not expecting them to come in next season and play like upperclassman. It will take time. Geno will work them in but much like all freshman, they will have their moments of greatness and their moments of inexperience.
Indeed, though I think Breanna and Morgan are exceptionally college ready, and Moriah, though she may need a little more time to harness her prodigious talents, is not going to be that far behind. I think Breanna is the one of the three who absolutely is vital for next season. We need her size and interior defense. Imagine if someone with her size and athleticism was in the lane yesterday. Or if there was another post player on offense ND had to worry about. She is a missing piece, and her ability to come in and adjust to the college game is going to be critical to our success next year.

Reaction Score
I could not care less.

Would you care to share exactly what it was that moved you to say: " I could not care less."?

At times there is a horrendous lack of appreciation of the efforts of some members of our team, by some members of this board. They just can't seem to do enough or get it quite right.

For example, if I had made similar factural criticisms of the play of Doty or Ferris I could expect an almost viral reaction, from some BYs.

Yet, Bria, who played an outstanding game, is criticized for not doing enough for us to win.

I really do hope that I am able to read a post by someone who points out the fact that by stepping-aside Dolson allowed the ND player driving the baselone a clear path to the basket. Oh, did I forget to mention that this happend in the last 2 minutes of the game? And we were leading by 4 at the time.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Would you care to share exactly what it was that moved you to say: " I could not care less."?

At times there is a horrendous lack of appreciation of the efforts of some members of our team, by some members of this board. They just can't seem to do enough or get it quite right.

For example, if I had made similar factural criticisms of the play of Doty or Ferris I could expect an almost viral reaction, from some BYs.

Yet, Bria, who played an outstanding game, is criticized for not doing enough for us to win.

I really do hope that I am able to read a post by someone who points out the fact that by stepping-aside Dolson allowed the ND player driving the baselone a clear path to the basket. Oh, did I forget to mention that this happend in the last 2 minutes of the game? And we were leading by 4 at the time.

Peace,

John Fryer

I could not care less if a player comes off the court crying or not crying. Rare is the athlete who does not care about the outcome of a game.​

Reaction Score
Indeed, though I think Breanna and Morgan are exceptionally college ready, and Moriah, though she may need a little more time to harness her prodigious talents, is not going to be that far behind. I think Breanna is the one of the three who absolutely is vital for next season. We need her size and interior defense. Imagine if someone with her size and athleticism was in the lane yesterday. Or if there was another post player on offense ND had to worry about. She is a missing piece, and her ability to come in and adjust to the college game is going to be critical to our success next year.

Absolutely amazing!

Breanna, a big, is expected to just step in and right the ship. Whatever happened to the conventional wisdom that "bigs need more time to develop?"

Alternatively, here we have the top rated point guard and the number 2 rated player in the country, Moriah, who "may need a little more time to harness her prodigious talents".

Breanna "the real deal!"

Moriah "a work in progress!"

Does that make Morgan, the third member of our highly rated freshmen class, "a development project?"

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
seems to me they know Bria is good but dont want to give props because they expect BStew to come in next season and be the big cheese.

its incredible how a UConn fan could rip into UConn's BEST player but...
The ripping is all in your mind. When a manager does a performance review of even their best employees they must cite the obvious stellar traits as well as areas for improvement. She simply has areas of improvement. How else can an employee or player improve and produce even better results? Do you think Geno, CD, or Shea overlooked telling Bria about her short comings in this game while extolling her stellar contributions? I still say being careless with the ball in crunch time is not being a clutch player. Not being aware of defense in OT and allowing an uncontested layup is not being a clutch player. Missing absolutely needed free throws in crunch time is not being clutch at least for this game. Yeah, without her this team is average for sure. Without her game contributions Notre Dame does not need OT to beat UCONN. I am a fan but more of Geno's and CD's mind-set.

Reaction Score
Right now, Bria Hartley is the second best player in the Big East Conference, and could very well be the most talented. She has had to shoulder some unexpected responsibilities this season, and may just have to wrest the mantle of leadership from the tri-captains.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Absolutely amazing!

Breanna, a big, is expected to just step in and right the ship. Whatever happened to the conventional wisdom that "bigs need more time to develop?"

Alternatively, here we have the top rated point guard and the number 2 rated player in the country, Moriah, who "may need a little more time to harness her prodigious talents".

Breanna "the real deal!"

Moriah "a work in progress!"

Does that make Morgan, the third member of our highly rated freshmen class, "a development project?"

Peace,

John Fryer
What?

I suggested that Breanna's size was a critical piece. No one is expecting her to be the best player on the team. She just plays a position we don't currently have on the team. And no one is expecting her to "right the ship"; this is a Final Four-caliber team this year without her.

Bigs typically do need time to develop, but that doesn't mean she can't contribute. How's Elizabeth Williams doing? What about Chiney her freshman year? Griner didn't have a good enough freshman year for you? Breanna Stewart is going to play as a freshman, and she's going to play a lot.

Meanwhile, Moriah, who has all the talent in the world, doesn't have anywhere near the international experience the Breanna has. Breanna's just played more basketball, including with and against current college players, and has stood out. BTW, PGs take time to develop too- notice how three #1-seeded teams with freshmen PGs (UConn, Baylor, and Tennessee) flamed out last season? Not a coincidence.

Morgan, like Stewart, has played a lot of international ball, as well as a lot of games against elite competition at the high school level. She's going to come in very seasoned for a high school player, more so than Moriah.

My comments had nothing to do with any of the three's four-year career projections. This is about who's the most seasoned, most ready to contribute immediately, and plays the position of greatest need. And of the three, that happens to be Stewart. All three are the real deal. And all three will be works in progress, for that matter.

Reaction Score
Right now, Bria Hartley is the second best player in the Big East Conference, and could very well be the most talented. She has had to shoulder some unexpected responsibilities this season, and may just have to wrest the mantle of leadership from the tri-captains.
Hopefully you are right. As a leader she needs to take control from the upperclassmen if they are being ineffectual. I don't see Tif as a leader. Doty has more the personality but more than volume is needed to be a leader. Kelly is a leader by example but this team needs a vocal leader who is willing to call out players who are not performing and properly executing the offense and defense. A leader also checks other players' attitude and adjusts their attitude with the proper cajoling or coercing or a combination. She must put team and victory first and not worry about hurt feeling. She can do this. She must do this or the team will contine to flounder against real competition.

Reaction Score
The ripping is all in your mind. When a manager does a performance review of even their best employees they must cite the obvious stellar traits as well as areas for improvement. She simply has areas of improvement. How else can an employee or player improve and produce even better results? Do you think Geno, CD, or Shea overlooked telling Bria about her short comings in this game while extolling her stellar contributions? I still say being careless with the ball in crunch time is not being a clutch player. Not being aware of defense in OT and allowing an uncontested layup is not being a clutch player. Missing absolutely needed free throws in crunch time is not being clutch at least for this game. Yeah, without her this team is average for sure. Without her game contributions Notre Dame does not need OT to beat UCONN. I am a fan but more of Geno's and CD's mind-set.

And I will believe you when I see you apply that mind-set to Doty and Dolson.

Oh, don't we have another female coach?

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
I'm with Blackbird. Uconn would not have been in the game without her, no question about that. But she had turnovers, a bunch. She gave Diggins a hard time at times, and at other times Diggins took her to school. And she showed she is vulnerable to a good defender picking her clean.

Overall? More positive than negative, but she has weaknesses.

bria had 25 points, 9 rebounds, and 6 assists. diggins had 22 points,2 rebounds, and 2 assists. for most of that game bria took diggins to school, at both ends of the court. bria pretty much kept uconn in the game, and it wasn't until late in the game that diggins was effective, at which point bria had to be worn down. i wouldn't be surprised if there are some knowledgeable people who might take bria over diggins right now. and she's 2 years younger.

Reaction Score
Absolutely amazing! Breanna, a big, is expected to just step in and right the ship. Whatever happened to the conventional wisdom that "bigs need more time to develop?" Alternatively, here we have the top rated point guard and the number 2 rated player in the country, Moriah, who "may need a little more time to harness her prodigious talents". Breanna "the real deal!" Moriah "a work in progress!" Does that make Morgan, the third member of our highly rated freshmen class, "a development project?" Peace, John Fryer
What?! You want logic on a board for fanatics?! Chaos, NCorBust

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It is not criticism. It is simply citing facts.

I'll give you some facts. At approximately 4:30 p.m. ET today, your hero Tebow will meet a couple fellows named Troy Polamalu and James Harrison. plus a few of their mean-spirited colleagues. Let's see how that goes.

Reaction Score
And I will believe you when I see you apply that mind-set to Doty and Dolson. Oh, don't we have another female coach? Peace, John Fryer
Geno - Head Coach
CD - Associate Head Coach
Shea - Assist Coach (Guards)
Marissa - Assist Coach (Bigs)

Due to thier positions Geno and CD coach whomever they like.
Bria is a guard.
Shea coaches guards.
Marissa coaches bigs.
Ergo Shea, Geno, and CD coach Bria and Marissa does not.

The logic you so desire.

Chaos, NCorBust

P.S. Please explain: "And I will believe you when I see you apply that mind-set to Doty and Dolson." I want to know exactly what you mean.

Reaction Score
I'll give you some facts. At approximately 4:30 p.m. ET today, your hero Tebow will meet a couple fellows named Troy Polamalu and James Harrison. plus a few of their mean-spirited colleagues. Let's see how that goes.
Ha ha! You have failed to read or note in several posting that Upink and I grew up 65 miles SE of Pittsburgh. Thus we are Stiller fans. We now live in Denver. We are Bronco fans. Admittedly we are torn, since we believe Tebow has been unfairly set upon by the sports jerknalists. Ordinarily when the Broncos and the Steelers play we hope for the Steelers to win. Upink's favorite player is Polamalu. Harrison is my favorite player. Today we win either way. So you lose!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The Steelers are severely banged up and playing on the road. I could see Denver winning a low-scoring game this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom