How big a role do think Vital will play next season? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

How big a role do think Vital will play next season?

Reaction Score
Listen. CV wud not be better than dyson even if dyson was out all night at club NV and had a noon big east game the next day. With that being said, I’m glad CV game back. He made a nice jump from the previous two years last year. He ll be an important 3rd or 4th piece this year. Wish him nothing but the best.
Who are the 1st, 2nd or maybe 3rd option before. Please don’t name freshmen who haven’t played a minute of college ball yet. Also, please don’t say Gilbert. Good player who, through bad luck, just hasn’t been able to put it together.

Reaction Score
Those are all dumb takes but Vital is better than Austrie ever was. Let’s at least admit that.

Better at what? I mean Austrie brought to the table exactly what was needed for a team who lost players. His ability to play within the team concept and himself, under control at all times was required at that point. CV wouldn't have been able to take that role no way, no how. Now Craig trying to be the guy to score, rebound, drive and play tough as nails for these past couple of years probably couldn't provide what CV has done for us. They both had/have their positive gifts for their teams but just aren't a fair comparison. CV is a better "basketball player" overall no doubt but in situations Craig would be the better choice.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Better at what? I mean Austrie brought to the table exactly what was needed for a team who lost players. His ability to play within the team concept and himself, under control at all times was required at that point. CV wouldn't have been able to take that role no way, no how. Now Craig trying to be the guy to score, rebound, drive and play tough as nails for these past couple of years probably couldn't provide what CV has done for us. They both had/have their positive gifts for their teams but just aren't a fair comparison. CV is a better "basketball player" overall no doubt but in situations Craig would be the better choice.

I have to disagree. Even before losing Dysons mediocre shooting that team needed more outside shot making. It was way too reliant on price having a good night. Especially when Robinson was the 3. Ann’s price delivered for the most part. But he struggled that night and with no one else’s pick up the slack it cost us.

Michigan st barely even acknowledged Austrie’s existence on the court. Having a good spot up shooter like vital on that team almost certainly would’ve sent them to the ncg rather than losing to a vastly inferior team.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I can't believe how polarizing this thread has been. Interesting stuff. Here my $0.02.

Vital has always reminded me of Brian Fair. I was a little young during Fair's career but I remember him being a big time spark plug off the bench. Clearly, Vital plays a lot more than Fair did and CV does a lot more on defense and on the glass. The part of the game Christian needs to work on most are his drives to the rim. He dribbled the ball off himself out of bounds OFTEN when driving last yr. He also has the type of mentality that would get a team going like Donny Marshall had.

I really hope this team makes the NCAA Tourney this yr. He deserves a shot at it. On a good team CV is a starter/6th man IMO. He's a catch and shoot guy who can get hot and turn a game around. What makes him a starter is his defense and his rebounding. This cant be overlooked.

I don't think he's our best player, because of his shot creation limitations, but he may be our most important player, if that makes sense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who are the 1st, 2nd or maybe 3rd option before. Please don’t name freshmen who haven’t played a minute of college ball yet. Also, please don’t say Gilbert. Good player who, through bad luck, just hasn’t been able to put it together.

From the New Haven Register:

"Now, Hurley is labeling Alterique Gilbert as “the leader of the program.” No doubt, Gilbert is a Hurley-type player. He’s a natural-born winner and leader, never afraid to take the big shot. He’s got a little Kemba in him.

Calling Gilbert the face of the program could be considered a bit of a jab at Adams. It also may be a poke at Vital, a junior who by experience and production would be the logical successor to that title after Adams got hurt.

Instead, after starting 45 straight games, Vital has started the last three on the bench. After playing at least 31 minutes in 14 straight games, Vital has played 26, 24 and 23 in the last three.

It’s clear that aspects of Vital’s game and/or personality irk Hurley. The coach was incensed at Vital’s defense — or lack thereof — at the end of the Wichita State game, allowing Samajae Haynes-Jones to hit a buzzer-beating (though, to be fair, tough) game-winnin shot. He’s frustrated by Vital’s ill-advised 3-pointers, his 1-on-4 drives to the basket, his defensive breakdowns and mental mistakes. Look no further than Sunday, when Vital inexplicably fouled Collins with 28.9 seconds left on the opposite end of the floor, two seconds after UConn had taken a three-point lead. It was an effort play, but not a very smart one."

Reaction Score
I have to disagree. Even before losing Dysons mediocre shooting that team needed more outside shot making. It was way too reliant on price having a good night. Especially when Robinson was the 3. Ann’s price delivered for the most part. But he struggled that night and with no one else’s pick up the slack it cost us.

Michigan st barely even acknowledged Austrie’s existence on the court. Having a good spot up shooter like vital on that team almost certainly would’ve sent them to the ncg rather than losing to a vastly inferior team.

Disagree all you want but CV would've had trouble finding minutes on that team. But that's why we have opinions. You are so far off on this one it's almost laughable to me so I will not even try to get into it.

I like CV and I know you are in love with his game but these are 2 different worlds we speak of. Big East, Michigan State in the FF, Dyson and you want to compare? :eek:

the Q

Reaction Score
From the New Haven Register:

"Now, Hurley is labeling Alterique Gilbert as “the leader of the program.” No doubt, Gilbert is a Hurley-type player. He’s a natural-born winner and leader, never afraid to take the big shot. He’s got a little Kemba in him.

Calling Gilbert the face of the program could be considered a bit of a jab at Adams. It also may be a poke at Vital, a junior who by experience and production would be the logical successor to that title after Adams got hurt.

Instead, after starting 45 straight games, Vital has started the last three on the bench. After playing at least 31 minutes in 14 straight games, Vital has played 26, 24 and 23 in the last three.

It’s clear that aspects of Vital’s game and/or personality irk Hurley. The coach was incensed at Vital’s defense — or lack thereof — at the end of the Wichita State game, allowing Samajae Haynes-Jones to hit a buzzer-beating (though, to be fair, tough) game-winnin shot. He’s frustrated by Vital’s ill-advised 3-pointers, his 1-on-4 drives to the basket, his defensive breakdowns and mental mistakes. Look no further than Sunday, when Vital inexplicably fouled Collins with 28.9 seconds left on the opposite end of the floor, two seconds after UConn had taken a three-point lead. It was an effort play, but not a very smart one."

I never said vital was the leader of the program.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is why we can't have nice things... Two college careers at the same school during different eras are not similar.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Who is the first best option on this team??

Dan Hurley's perspective:

"Asked if he felt Vital responded well to his benching, Hurley said: “Let’s just keep this to a basketball perspective. He competes his tail off. Those defensive rebounds, getting fouled, really just spurred on the team with those effort plays. He’s got to fight the urge to try to do too much off the dribble. If he relies on his 3-point shot and puts value on being a great defender and a good defensive rebounder, he’s a really valuable, good player on the court. When he starts trying to do too much off the dribble, things start to go sideways and he loses value as a player. But I loved the way the whole group competed today.” "

When he doesn't try to do too much he's "good" and "valuable". Not sure Dan thinks Vital is the best player on this team, or the first option. I can find these quotes all day. Vital's points mostly come from other people breaking down defenders and making passes to him. Now he hits those shots, which is fantastic. But he's not a guy who can create offense for the team.

the Q

Reaction Score
Disagree all you want but CV would've had trouble finding minutes on that team. But that's why we have opinions. You are so far off on this one it's almost laughable to me so I will not even try to get into it.

I like CV and I know you are in love with his game but these are 2 different worlds we speak of. Big East, Michigan State in the FF, Dyson and you want to compare? :eek:

Dude. It’s Craig Austrie. Guy was not a good shooter at all.

Reaction Score
Dude. It’s Craig Austrie. Guy was not a good shooter at all.

DUDE he played PG on the team when needed during his stay. He didn't make lots of mistakes doing so, CV couldn't handle that role period. Like I said who's better at what?

the Q

Reaction Score
DUDE he played PG on the team when needed during his stay. He didn't make lots of mistakes doing so, CV couldn't handle that role period. Like I said who's better at what?

We may be looking at this totally differently. Austrie is a better pg than vital. But Vital is not a pg. I’ve never said otherwise.

but vital would’ve been the one replacing Dyson as the 2 after Jerome got hurt, imo. Vital is simply the better player for that role. Better shooter, defender and rebounder.

Reaction Score
We may be looking at this totally differently. Austrie is a better pg than vital. But Vital is not a pg. I’ve never said otherwise.

but vital would’ve been the one replacing Dyson as the 2 after Jerome got hurt, imo. Vital is simply the better player for that role. Better shooter, defender and rebounder.

Better defender than Dyson, rebounder? Maybe even on the rebounding but you are either overrating CV as a defender or underrating Jerome. Give you better shooter but not a better scorer so offensively while pretty close vs who Dyson played against in his career I'd take Jerome's offense but it's close I will give you that.

Listen I like the fact we have CV here we are lucky he returned. We'd be better served if he were our 6-8th man because we'd then have the talent of teams that Dyson and Austrie played on. But we don't so we need him to improve steadily on what he lacks - control, ball handling and more concentrated defense staying home indent cheating all the time. He's good as he is minus those things but he'd be real good if he can polish up on what he needs to. Rooting for him we all are.

Reaction Score
I will say Gilbert is option 1, Carlton 2, right now vital wud be three. The freshman - I believe, at least akok- overtake vitAl by March. Now if u want to say that due to AGs injuries and the question mark of the freshmen, and the fact that we don’t have much else , then yes vitAl wud be our top option, by default. That’s not saying much tho to boost the pro vital argument

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley's perspective:

"Asked if he felt Vital responded well to his benching, Hurley said: “Let’s just keep this to a basketball perspective. He competes his tail off. Those defensive rebounds, getting fouled, really just spurred on the team with those effort plays. He’s got to fight the urge to try to do too much off the dribble. If he relies on his 3-point shot and puts value on being a great defender and a good defensive rebounder, he’s a really valuable, good player on the court. When he starts trying to do too much off the dribble, things start to go sideways and he loses value as a player. But I loved the way the whole group competed today.” "

When he doesn't try to do too much he's "good" and "valuable". Not sure Dan thinks Vital is the best player on this team, or the first option. I can find these quotes all day. Vital's points mostly come from other people breaking down defenders and making passes to him. Now he hits those shots, which is fantastic. But he's not a guy who can create offense for the team.
Less off a role than his previous seasons. Ideally he will be a 3 and D 6th man but since we haven't addressed our rebounding we still may need rebounding from a 6'1 guard which scares the hell out of me.
This is what Hurley envisions for him. It's up to Bouknight or Gaffney to be ready fairly early.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This is what Hurley envisions for him. It's up to Bouknight or Gaffney to be ready fairly early.

It wouldn't surprise me if CV is starting in the fall. It would surprise me if he's starting in January. He'll get points, he is a valuable piece.

We have something CV has never really faced before, options. If he is over-aggressive on D and gets burned, or hoists bad 3's or drives 1 on 4, he will get yanked. Bouknight, Gaffney, even Adams can all take his place. Adams is going to play more than people think.

And I don't think we will play 3 guards as much. Sid will probably be at the 3, with some Polley, Bouknight and Adams also taking those minutes.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't surprise me if CV is starting in the fall. It would surprise me if he's starting in January. He'll get points, he is a valuable piece.

We have something CV has never really faced before, options. If he is over-aggressive on D and gets burned, or hoists bad 3's or drives 1 on 4, he will get yanked. Bouknight, Gaffney, even Adams can all take his place. Adams is going to play more than people think.

And I don't think we will play 3 guards as much. Sid will probably be at the 3, with some Polley, Bouknight and Adams also taking those minutes.

Could see that and hope the freshman are ready to be a big part immediately. Adams needs to get quicker on his feet more than anything else and also get his ball handling in order has a ways to go don't think he's ready to take CV's time. Like his work ethic so a kid like that could know everything he needs to do in the summer and come back a different player, hope so.

Polley to me is the 3 until someone else gets better too or the freshmen step up. If he can rebound better he plays much more within the plan than Sid so he keeps his spot to me. Hope they all get better and we see a huge fight for minutes that's the ultimate cluster.

Reaction Score

Vital can be a very good 3 and D guy for us, we need both Bouk and Gaffney to emerge as seconds break you down ballhandlers/scorers. They bring ability and athleticism that we are sorely lacking.

Reaction Score
Maybe the old sniper could go for playing on one winning team at Uconn in his 4 years.

Without injuries to Jalen and AG we had a winning team this year. Not by much, but still. Don't blame that on CV.

Reaction Score
All true. It’s a very wide disparity though.

No one here said vital was the most talented player. But he was the most efficient and effective. The only people that were trying to compare him to bazz....were the ones saying we shouldn’t be comparing him to bazz.

I’ve said my piece on vital before. He’s not the best player on a traditional UConn team. But he’s a rashad type with better d and rebounding. Still a quite useful player. But it is an indictment on recruiting the last few years.

Unfortunately we need Rashad, not a Rashad type. If Rashad died, I'd bury him in the pet sematary...

Reaction Score
I don't understand how many on here seem to believe in Hurley, yet don't think our players will improve from year to year. Last year we saw improvement from Carlton, Polley, and Vital. They are going to IMPROVE MORE for this season. Gilbert will also improve and should have much better numbers than what was shown last year and I don't think its unrealistic that he will be one of the best players in the conference. Wilson will improve as well and Akok, though he hasn't played has been with the program for a while now.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think this is the point when we realize fans have different opinions about Vital especially when comparing him to former players and we move on. And we return to the topic of the thread not the topic in your head.
we can call it diversity of thought or maturity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom