How big a role do think Vital will play next season? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

How big a role do think Vital will play next season?

Reaction Score
This board is so dumb sometimes it's embarrassing. We've got people saying they would rather Vital shooting open threes than Napier, people comparing Napier and Vital's stats, people saying Vital was our best player last year, people saying Vital is better than Dyson...

Those are all dumb takes but Vital is better than Austrie ever was. Let’s at least admit that.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Those are all dumb takes but Vital is better than Austrie ever was. Let’s at least admit that.

He’s the only one comparing vital to Napier....

But vital was clearly the best player last year. Not the most talented, but he made it work for him. Not to mention both the guys you would probably argue over vital missed Time with injuries.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
You have to remember that Dyson played against much better competition than Vital has and on much deeper teams.

Reaction Score
Who mentioned denham.

You’re strawmanning again.

Who are you adding next to your made up list for comparison?

Okafor?
Try and follow along. This Dave guy thinks Vital is way better than Dyson because of his stats. He thinks the same about Vital over Anderson because of stats, since Vital's stats are better than Denham's I inferred he would also think Vital is better than Denham.

I'm convinced you don't even know what you're watching...
That’s a rather subjective take considering how even UConn history doesn’t look kindly on it.

The 2006 season, with it all on the line, went denham brown and rashad, not future lottery picks Rudy gay or Hilton Armstrong.

The 04 big east tourney, we put the ball in the hands of Ben Gordon, nkt national player of the year Emeka Okafor.

And 2014, against Kentucky, instead of going to shabazz, the ball went to cromah. Who didn’t even start the game.

the Q

Reaction Score
Try and follow along. This Dave guy thinks Vital is way better than Dyson because of his stats. He thinks the same about Vital over Anderson because of stats, since Vital's stats are better than Denham's I inferred he would also think Vital is better than Denham.

Again. No one said vital was better than brown. No one. Brown was a small anedote about how abused the standard of the guy taking the last shot is automatically a better player is.

Reaction Score
I agree with that, the other stuff being said is insanity.
I’ll possibly give u that vital is better than Austrie but to say he’s better than dyson and shoddy is beyond comical.

the Q

Reaction Score

You could’ve swapped out Ben Gordon for brown and been just as ridiculous. Because neither was being compared to vital. At all.

Reaction Score
I’ll possibly give u that vital is better than Austrie but to say he’s better than dyson and shoddy is beyond comical.

Find me a better year Dyson had than Vital had last year. You have 4 years to choose from.

Reaction Score
You could’ve swapped out Ben Gordon for brown and been just as ridiculous. Because neither was being compared to vital. At all.
Ben Gordon has better stats than Vital. You aren't following along with anything.

Are you not seeing any of Dave's million posts?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ben Gordon has better stats than Vital. You aren't following along with anything.

Are you not seeing any of Dave's million posts?

Why are you ignoring my post? I’m still waiting for you to find a year Dyson had that was better than Vitals last year. Were you unable to?

Reaction Score
CV is a hard playing kid who gives a lot of intangibles along with his toughness. Rebounding for a guard his size is outstanding, yet at the same time there are going to be a few head scratching plays along the way like when he dribbles into the trees and gets stripped or throws it away for no apparent reason. It goes with his package so take it or leave it. He can be red hot from long range and go ice cold but I really think we need his fighter mentality. That is his biggest asset, that along with his apparent fearlessness out there. Looking for a big year from him. For all of their talent Bouknight and Gaffney will have a long way to go to be as effective as CV who is battle hardened.

Reaction Score
Listen. CV wud not be better than dyson even if dyson was out all night at club NV and had a noon big east game the next day. With that being said, I’m glad CV game back. He made a nice jump from the previous two years last year. He ll be an important 3rd or 4th piece this year. Wish him nothing but the best.

Reaction Score
Listen. CV wud not be better than dyson even if dyson was out all night at club NV and had a noon big east game the next day. With that being said, I’m glad CV game back. He made a nice jump from the previous two years last year. He ll be an important 3rd or 4th piece this year. Wish him nothing but the best.

You couldn’t find a year Dyson had a better season than Vitals last season either???

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yet somehow Craig Austrie who was a 35% shooter on mostly loaded teams and people are saying he was a better smarter player? Every player makes boneheaded plays sometimes. This is clearly a case of selective memory. He developed a repuation of having poor shot selection, so now if he takes 15 shots and 2 of them are bad shots some people only remember the 2

Did you watch him play? Nobody made as many dumb plays as he did, even last year. Going one on a defender on a break instead of passing to a wide open teammate. There were loads of examples.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Gaffney and Bouknight will be very good players for us but anyone who thinks they will start over CV at any point this season will probably also be the same guy complaining our guys are too skinny. Those dudes are kids and CV is a man. Those bodies are not ready for big roles in cbb.

Reaction Score
Did you watch him play? Nobody made as many dumb plays as he did, even last year. Going one on a defender on a break instead of passing to a wide open teammate. There were loads of examples.

Still waiting for the explanation for how he manages to be a very efficient scorer while taking dumb shots all the time

Reaction Score
Gaffney and Bouknight will be very good players for us but anyone who thinks they will start over CV at any point this season will probably also be the same guy complaining our guys are too skinny. Those dudes are kids and CV is a man. Those bodies are not ready for big roles in cbb.
I do see CV as our starting 2 guard to begin the season, but as Gaffney and Bouknight get adjusted and gain confidence, they may begin to impact the game talent-wise in ways that might cause Hurley to make changes. They are definitely going to have to earn it, and who knows what sort of jump Brendan Adams may make. I'm cool though with senior CV starting and getting major minutes. He is a leader with his competitive fire and effort. Each year CV has gotten better and last season he was very solid for us. I expect he'll be even better this year.

Reaction Score
CV is a hard playing kid who gives a lot of intangibles along with his toughness. Rebounding for a guard his size is outstanding, yet at the same time there are going to be a few head scratching plays along the way like when he dribbles into the trees and gets stripped or throws it away for no apparent reason. It goes with his package so take it or leave it. He can be red hot from long range and go ice cold but I really think we need his fighter mentality. That is his biggest asset, that along with his apparent fearlessness out there. Looking for a big year from him. For all of their talent Bouknight and Gaffney will have a long way to go to be as effective as CV who is battle hardened.
Couldn’t have said it any better myself! I totally agree!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Still waiting for the explanation for how he manages to be a very efficient scorer while taking dumb shots all the time

He was somewhat efficient last year, not "very". Before that he was terribly inefficient. He makes some shots that are bad ones. Still a bad choice. Sometimes he gets blocked or stripped or loses the ball when he should have passed. It wouldn't show up in shooting percentages, it wasn't a shot. But it was a wasted scoring opportunity.

I think he reduced his dumb shots to about Dyson level last year. Higher than I like, but I can live with it. It's the decisions not necessarily involving shots that are the problem. He needs to be more comfortable being a facilitator. I think he'll take another step in that direction this year. He has to overcome two years of bad habits. Normally I value experience more than most people, but in his case it means unlearning a lot.

Reaction Score
He was somewhat efficient last year, not "very". Before that he was terribly inefficient. He makes some shots that are bad ones. Still a bad choice. Sometimes he gets blocked or stripped or loses the ball when he should have passed. It wouldn't show up in shooting percentages, it wasn't a shot. But it was a wasted scoring opportunity.

I think he reduced his dumb shots to about Dyson level last year. Higher than I like, but I can live with it. It's the decisions not necessarily involving shots that are the problem. He needs to be more comfortable being a facilitator. I think he'll take another step in that direction this year. He has to overcome two years of bad habits. Normally I value experience more than most people, but in his case it means unlearning a lot.

52-41-82 splits for a guard with the amount of shots he takes is not “somewhat efficient”. It’s very efficient. I agree that the two years prior he wasn’t efficient. I also agree he need some to be a better facilitator. With how good he is from three he should be able the pump fake and drive or pump fake draw the defense, and find an open player. I don’t think we’ll ever see him run point, but he was never expected to do that.

Reaction Score
He's not our best player. He's not our best on ball defender either. Lets pray for UConn's upcoming season that Vital is not the best player we have. He is a good shooter and rebounder for his size and has the biggest heart and desire but not best player.
Who is the best player?

Reaction Score
Considering the leap he made in year one under Hurley I think he’ll take another step and be in consideration for all conference (third team).

I, unlike many others apparently, think Vital can be the second best option on a winning team. However, that’s also only going to happen if Carlton, Polley and Sid make a leap and the freshman can contribute immediately.
Who is the first best option on this team??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom