How big a role do think Vital will play next season? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

How big a role do think Vital will play next season?

Reaction Score
He improved last year. But he didn't get all the way there. Just because his shooting percentages were pretty good doesn't mean he made good decisions often enough. He was much better, but he still didn't pass in several key situations where he should have and made a number of bone-headed plays.

So how much better can he be at the mental side of the game? How much can he bring himself to defer to others, make a few more assists and perhaps not be one of our leading scorers on many nights?

Yet somehow Craig Austrie who was a 35% shooter on mostly loaded teams and people are saying he was a better smarter player? Every player makes boneheaded plays sometimes. This is clearly a case of selective memory. He developed a repuation of having poor shot selection, so now if he takes 15 shots and 2 of them are bad shots some people only remember the 2

Reaction Score
I liked Austrie but he wasn't good. He didn't make anything happen.

Look at the players he was surrounded by. It wasn't his job to "make anything happen."

I think even Chief would call BS on the idea that Vital is better than Dyson. That's a Skip Bayless level take.

Reaction Score
Look at the players he was surrounded by. It wasn't his job to "make anything happen."

I think even Chief would call BS on the idea that Vital is better than Dyson. That's a Skip Bayless level take.

We’re talking about the same Dyson right? The same Dyson who’s best year wasn’t better than Vitals last year, right? The only thing he did better than Vital was get to the rim. Worse 2 point %, worse 3 point %, worse FT%, worse rebounding, worse rebounding %. Similar steal numbers. More assists, but not a great A:TO ratio, and was great at getting to the line. Sure he played against better competition on better teams, but let’s not pretend he was a god. Put vital on those uconn teams with better talent, and he’s getting a hell of a lot more open looks than he does as the second option last year. This vital trashing is crazy, he had one of the better years a UConn guard has had in a while last year while as a second option the majority of the year between Adams and Gilbert out.

You can take it even further if you want.

Dysons best 2% year was lower than Vital last year.
Dysons best 3% year was lower than Vital last year.
Dysons best FT% year was lower than Vital last year.
Dysons best rebounding year was lower than Vital last year.
Dysons scored more than 14 points a game 1/4 years. Vital has done that 2/3 years.

This is all while having a way higher usage than Vital. Peoples revisionist history is absurd.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We’re talking about the same Dyson right? The same Dyson who’s best year wasn’t better than Vitals last year, right?

I'm guessing this is your attempt at condescension. Your take is awful. I like Vital, he works hard, I don't "trash" the kid, but he's not better than Jerome Dyson, who put up all those numbers against teams marginally better than Tulane and USF. Jerome drove me crazy at times but he brought it in literally dozens of games in which Vital wouldn't have sniffed the court.

Tell me you think he's better than Rashad Anderson was too. He certainly averages more points, rebounds and assists for his career than Rashad did.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing this is your attempt at condescension. Your take is awful. I like Vital, he works hard, I don't "trash" the kid, but he's not better than Jerome Dyson, who put up all those numbers against teams marginally better than Tulane and USF. Jerome drove me crazy at times but he brought it in literally dozens of games in which Vital wouldn't have sniffed the court.

Tell me you think he's better than Rashad Anderson was too. He certainly averages more points, rebounds and assists for his career than Rashad did.

Christian Vital is a better basketball player than Rashad Anderson. Not a better shooter. Rashad was perfect for that team, and perfect in that role.

Jerome Dyson was a career 31% three point shooter and 42% career from two. He didn’t average more points than Vital has the last two years until his senior year. If he had “brought it” he would have averaged more points, he would have shot better from the field, and he would have shot better from three. Dyson is not a better basketball player than Vital, and it’s not close.

Reaction Score
This board is so dumb sometimes it's embarrassing. We've got people saying they would rather Vital shooting open threes than Napier, people comparing Napier and Vital's stats, people saying Vital was our best player last year, people saying Vital is better than Dyson...

Vital is better than dyson. And it isn’t close.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This board is so dumb sometimes it's embarrassing. We've got people saying they would rather Vital shooting open threes than Napier, people comparing Napier and Vital's stats, people saying Vital was our best player last year, people saying Vital is better than Dyson...

Stop bringing up Napier. Youre the only one bringing up Napier and he has literally nothing to do with the discussion.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Do any of you ever stop whining about how much worse the current team is than the mid-2000s teams? You should, because UConn basketball will forever continue to make you miserable if you don't.

Reaction Score

I'm assuming this Dave guy and the other fools who think Vital is better than Dyson, Rashad, and Denham because he has better stats has to be a teenager. Anyone who is old enough to have watched and still thinks Vital is better than them should pick another sport to follow or just stop watching sports.

No knock on Vital, we are all fans of how he competes but this is beyond stupid.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Stop bringing up Napier. Youre the only one bringing up Napier and he has literally nothing to do with the discussion.

A player has to be as good as Shabazz for @superjohn and others not to think they're garbage.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
No knock on Vital, we are all fans of how he competes

You guys certainly aren't. You endlessly complain how much worse he is than the players we had last decade. You blame him personally for the team's losing record.

I get that you are distressed at how far the program has fallen, but stop taking it out on kids that aren't the problem.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming this Dave guy and the other fools who think Vital is better than Dyson, Rashad, and Denham because he has better stats has to be a teenager. Anyone who is old enough to have watched and still thinks Vital is better than them should pick another sport to follow or just stop watching sports.

No knock on Vital, we are all fans of how he competes but this is beyond stupid.

I’m 30, old enough to have watched Dyson when he was there. He took horrible shots, didn’t shoot well from the floor, and turned the ball over a ton (Which Vital does too).

Reaction Score
I brought up Napier's stats because this stat nerd is anointing Vital better than other players based off his stats. He said he would rather have Vital taking open threes than Napier, since Vital had a higher percentage on 2's I gather he would rather Vital taking 2's than Napier as well. We had others say it's closer than you may think between Napier and Vital.

Reaction Score
You guys certainly aren't. You endlessly complain how much worse he is than the players we had last decade. You blame him personally for the team's losing record.

I get that you are distressed at how far the program has fallen, but stop taking it out on kids that aren't the problem.
When people make dumb statements they're going to be called out, that's how message boards work. Pretending Vital is better than these players doesn't make you a bigger Vital fan than others, it makes you an idiot.

Reaction Score
When people make dumb statements they're going to be called out, that's how message boards work. Pretending Vital is better than these players doesn't make you a bigger Vital fan than others, it makes you an idiot.

Ignoring blatant proof that disregards your biases doesn’t make you a bigger basher than others, it makes you ignorant.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I brought up Napier's stats because this stat nerd is anointing Vital better than other players based off his stats. He said he would rather have Vital taking open threes than Napier, since Vital had a higher percentage on 2's I gather he would rather Vital taking 2's than Napier as well. We had others say it's closer than you may think between Napier and Vital.

I’d rather have kyle korver shooting threes than Russell Westbrook.

Now tell me how your untrained eyes make me wrong.

Reaction Score
I’d rather have kyle korver shooting threes than Russell Westbrook.

Now tell me how your untrained eyes make me wrong.
What??? So would everyone. One is a great shooter, the other sucks at shooting.

Reaction Score
This is amazing how you keep digging. Yep, Vital is better than Dyson, Rashad, and Denham.

Digging? Tell me the season Dyson had that was better than Vitals last season. You have 4 to choose from. This should be easy since he was clearly the superior player.

Reaction Score
Who mentioned denham.

You’re strawmanning again.

Who are you adding next to your made up list for comparison?

Okafor?

Right. And with Anderson and Dyson and Vital, its hard to compare them because they are all very different players, but they are in the same class of good role players, but you're in some trouble if they are your best or 2nd best players

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom