How big a role do think Vital will play next season? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How big a role do think Vital will play next season?

Reaction Score
Vital is not a lead guard on any major team in the country. He is someone who like his own head coach said last year he should concentrate on sticking to strengths: shooting and rebounding. He can't dribble to save his life or yours. Top guards are guards who can create on their own or create for others, Vital cant do either. He is a spot up shooter, who plays very hard and puts it all out there. He's a warrior but def not best player on team.

I agree with everything you’re saying with the exception of your last sentence. He is our best player, namely because we suck and there’s just no one on the team better than him overall.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
How many contested 2’s does Vital take vs AG? How many more times does AG get into the lane and actually shoot per game compared to Vital? Find those stats for me. Regardless, I’ll do a better bet with you and say AG hits more game winning or game tying shots next year.
Give up - he offered you a solid bet and you come back with some BS bet
You are banking on 2 freshmen who have never stepped onto a CBB court or played against guys bigger, stronger and faster to step in and outshine someone whose been doing it for 2+ years
These two new guards may be good but they aren't upper echelon good - yet - they won't be starting or wearing a Duke, UK, KU, UNC or MSU uniform
CV isn't an AA but he isn't bench fodder either
Right now, based on past production - yes, CV is the best on the team

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Vital made 79 3 pointers last season. If he has 79 again he will set the record for 3 pointers made at UConn. Right now Rashad and Shabazz are number 1 and 2. You know sniper is going to go after that record.
Maybe the old sniper could go for playing on one winning team at Uconn in his 4 years.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This thread reminds me of all the Carlton bashing that went on before (and during) last season.

He was very bad during the beginning of the season and he was serviceable at the end..

Reaction Score
i just want him to tighten up his game in regards to over penetration and shot selection. Hopefully the Bouk can push him for playing time which should only make Vital better.

Reaction Score
Maybe the old sniper could go for playing on one winning team at Uconn in his 4 years.

He's going to do both. UConn will be a winning team this year.

Reaction Score
Give up - he offered you a solid bet and you come back with some BS bet
You are banking on 2 freshmen who have never stepped onto a CBB court or played against guys bigger, stronger and faster to step in and outshine someone whose been doing it for 2+ years
These two new guards may be good but they aren't upper echelon good - yet - they won't be starting or wearing a Duke, UK, KU, UNC or MSU uniform
CV isn't an AA but he isn't bench fodder either
Right now, based on past production - yes, CV is the best on the team
2nd in the team in points, 2nd in rebounds, and first in steals last year.

He’s going to be a key player for us and that some fans think he shouldn’t says more about them than him.

I will give up bc there is not point in arguing what I already know will happen. I will let next season speak for itself. I want Vital to be a KEY player but he is not “the one”. Come back and review my posts mid to late season, that’s how confident I am

Reaction Score
I am so confident that Vital will not be our BEST player, that if I am wrong, I promise to everyone on the BY that I will dedicate a Vital Apology thread for doubting him. But that likely won’t happen.

The “BEST” player to me is the player that we want to have the ball in his hands when the game is on the line, and the main player that other teams key in on. Like Adams was for us last year. We will see what happens.

Reaction Score
This thread reminds me of all the Carlton bashing that went on before (and during) last season.

Saying that someone isn’t the BEST player on the team as oppose to a KEY player and team leader isn’t remotely close to bashing. It’s stating a viewpoint based on observation. And there is absolutely nothing negative or wrong about it. It just IS.

Reaction Score
Considering the leap he made in year one under Hurley I think he’ll take another step and be in consideration for all conference (third team).

I, unlike many others apparently, think Vital can be the second best option on a winning team. However, that’s also only going to happen if Carlton, Polley and Sid make a leap and the freshman can contribute immediately.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Doubt he'd be back if Hurley didn't put a ton of work in to re-recruit him

Reaction Score
Saying that someone isn’t the BEST player on the team as oppose to a KEY player and team leader isn’t remotely close to bashing. It’s stating a viewpoint based on observation. And there is absolutely nothing negative or wrong about it. It just IS.
I didn't say anyone was bashing him.

But you can pretend that quotes like "he's our best player, namely because we suck" aren't backhanded compliments, I choose not to.

Reaction Score
I will give up bc there is not point in arguing what I already know will happen. I will let next season speak for itself. I want Vital to be a KEY player but he is not “the one”. Come back and review my posts mid to late season, that’s how confident I am
I didn't say he was "the one".

Reaction Score
He was very bad during the beginning of the season and he was serviceable at the end..
He was only a sophomore. Most here wrote him off after one year under poor coaching. He's got all-conference potential before he's done at UConn.

Vital improved a lot under Hurley. He's our best shooter. He'll be a senior, with Carlton a legit threat inside and commanding double teams, he'll play an important role as a catch and shoot guy. Not to mention leading the team in steals.

Reaction Score
I didn't say anyone was bashing him.

But you can pretend that quotes like "he's our best player, namely because we suck" aren't backhanded compliments, I choose not to.
He was getting bashed because he was terrible early in the season.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I am so confident that Vital will not be our BEST player, that if I am wrong, I promise to everyone on the BY that I will dedicate a Vital Apology thread for doubting him. But that likely won’t happen.

The “BEST” player to me is the player that we want to have the ball in his hands when the game is on the line, and the main player that other teams key in on. Like Adams was for us last year. We will see what happens.

That’s a rather subjective take considering how even UConn history doesn’t look kindly on it.

The 2006 season, with it all on the line, went denham brown and rashad, not future lottery picks Rudy gay or Hilton Armstrong.

The 04 big east tourney, we put the ball in the hands of Ben Gordon, nkt national player of the year Emeka Okafor.

And 2014, against Kentucky, instead of going to shabazz, the ball went to cromah. Who didn’t even start the game.

Reaction Score
Have you seen his advanced stats? He's by far our best offensive player and defensive player.

- Last season he had an offensive rating of 114. The last UConn guard to have an offensive rating like that was Shabazz in 2014.
- He shot 41% from 3 (171st in the country)
- 81% from the line (206 in the country)
- Had a true shooting percentage of 61.2% (134th in the country)
- A 17.8% defensive rebounding rate (444th in the country, and thats as a guard)
- A 3% steal rate (146th in the country).
- He had a defensive rating of 99.6 which was by far the best of any guard on the team last year (And about 500th overall for all of D1 at any position).

He was by far our best player last year. Yes he turns it over a lot, but beyond that he's a very good player.

You can argue it all you want and may even have a valid point in a couple areas, at least for the argument you wage. But using "by far" in any category with him is not a winner. He's a nice solid player who has come a long way in his 3 years. Can't deny his 40% 3pt shooting is critcal, his passion and hustle a big part of the team effort, his defense is pretty good mostly, his rebounding impressive. Heck he may even get the short end of the stick here with many but I saw a nice improvement in 18-19. So in all reality if he improves where he needs to he will be a huge piece but if he's our best player overall we will be a .500 team at best. We need people with higher ceilings to step up even incoming freshmen in order to increase our level of competitiveness.

Reaction Score
That’s a rather subjective take considering how even UConn history doesn’t look kindly on it.

The 2006 season, with it all on the line, went denham brown and rashad, not future lottery picks Rudy gay or Hilton Armstrong.

The 04 big east tourney, we put the ball in the hands of Ben Gordon, nkt national player of the year Emeka Okafor.

And 2014, against Kentucky, instead of going to shabazz, the ball went to cromah. Who didn’t even start the game.
What? 2006 the ball was always in Marcus Wiliiams hands in crunch time. 04 it was either in Gordon's or Okafor's hands in crunch time they were probably the two best players in the country. In '14 the ball was always in Napier's hands in crunch time. His name is Kromah, only reason he got a touch is because Kentucky blitzed Bazz and left Kromah wide open under the hoop.

Reaction Score
Now that Jalen Adams is gone I think Vital loses some of that chip on his shoulder and takes on a more leadership/captain role and because of that his game will improve. I always thought there was some kind of friction between those two.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
What? 2006 the ball was always in Marcus Wiliiams hands in crunch time. 04 it was either in Gordon's or Okafor's hands in crunch time they were probably the two best players in the country. In '14 the ball was always in Napier's hands in crunch time. His name is Kromah, only reason he got a touch is because Kentucky blitzed Bazz and left Kromah wide open under the hoop.

Against Washington and George mason, those guys got the ball.

Reaction Score
CV might not be the most gifted player on the team but he might have the most rounded game, if that makes sense. I love his work effort and expect him to be improved from last year. Let’s hope the rest of our guys work as hard as Christian.

Reaction Score

This probably seemed more clever before you typed it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom