How big a role do think Vital will play next season? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How big a role do think Vital will play next season?

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
I think this upcoming team is the kind of team well see vital thrive on, say what you want about if hes the best or not but when it comes down to it I think the pieces fit this year. If Polley improves on what he was already doing well but also adds some depth to his skills, and now having a formidable carlton in the paint, with akok on the wing, and a healthy AG I think it will spread the floor and allow for him to thrive at what hes good at. As for his turnover numbers do we really think theyre that much worse than the turnover king Jalen?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Let's see if his game matures. He's a senior, so no more off-balance, 3-point heaves with 12 on the shot clock. And just because you made the last one doesn't mean you get to chuck it up the next time you touch the ball.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
Which has been the case the past two seasons, and could also very likely be the case next year as well.

People absolutely love Gilbert, but he shot 38% FG, 33% 3PT, and averaged 2.3 TOs a game.

Contrast that with Vital's 45% FG, 40% 3PT, same TOs, but better defense and rebounding.

I like Gilbert a lot, but the Yard wants to somehow will him into being the next great PG. He'll need to stay healthy and prove it on the floor. Hopefully he can.
People also like to not talk about how hes undersized and had difficulty at times penetrating and getting a good shot in the lane

Reaction Score
Vital last year shot it better than Shabazz did his senior year, do you want Vital taking shots for you over Shabazz?

Open three? Probably. But they shot essentially the same from three than Shabazz's senior year. There isn't a statistical difference in .05%

Reaction Score
There is why it’s not even w arguing w you. Most clutch shooter in UConn history vs Vital and you pick Vital. Now you are just trolling. Goodbye

Did he say last second shot? Did he say game winner? Where'd clutch come form?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
People also like to not talk about how hes undersized and had difficulty at times penetrating and getting a good shot in the lane

He improved considerably at it this past year.

Reaction Score
By end of November hopefully our best players are:
1) AG
2) Carlton
3) vital
By end of February:
1)ag
2)Carlton
3) polley/bouknight
4) vital/gaffney/sid
Gotta hope Akok is up there no?

Reaction Score
I’m done bro. You have no clue and there is nothing i or anyone can do about it. Carry on with your day

Right on. Enjoy thinking percentages don't matter when AG is firing up 3's at 31% next year. BUT AT LEAST HE'S GETTING IN THE LANE!!!!!111!!!

Reaction Score
2nd in the team in points, 2nd in rebounds, and first in steals last year.

He’s going to be a key player for us and that some fans think he shouldn’t says more about them than him.
Yes and we were terrible. We have someone arguing they would rather have Vital taking shots for us than Napier.

Reaction Score
Yes and we were terrible. We have someone arguing they would rather have Vital taking shots for us than Napier.

Open 3, not shots. Keep moving the goal posts though. You’re arguing he isn’t our best player and you haven’t said anything except “Nope” and then comparing him to shabazz. I’m not arguing we weren’t terrible, we were. I’m not arguing having vital as your best player is bad. It is. He is our best player though.

Reaction Score
Open 3, not shots. Keep moving the goal posts though. You’re arguing he isn’t our best player and you haven’t said anything except “Nope” and then comparing him to shabazz. I’m not arguing we weren’t terrible, we were. I’m not arguing having vital as your best player is bad. It is. He is our best player though.
Open three you said you wanted Vital taking the shots over Shabazz then said it wasn't statistically different enough to matter. Considering Vital shot twos at a 6% better clip I inferred you want Vital taking those shots over Napier as well.

Reaction Score
There is no reason to believe Christian won't improve. If these freshman all show us something we'll be happy to have him hitting open 3's. If 5 guys are a threat to score we'll be fine.

Reaction Score
Have you seen his advanced stats? He's by far our best offensive player and defensive player.

- Last season he had an offensive rating of 114. The last UConn guard to have an offensive rating like that was Shabazz in 2014.
- He shot 41% from 3 (171st in the country)
- 81% from the line (206 in the country)
- Had a true shooting percentage of 61.2% (134th in the country)
- A 17.8% defensive rebounding rate (444th in the country, and thats as a guard)
- A 3% steal rate (146th in the country).
- He had a defensive rating of 99.6 which was by far the best of any guard on the team last year (And about 500th overall for all of D1 at any position).

He was by far our best player last year. Yes he turns it over a lot, but beyond that he's a very good player.

Vital is not a lead guard on any major team in the country. He is someone who like his own head coach said last year he should concentrate on sticking to strengths: shooting and rebounding. He can't dribble to save his life or yours. Top guards are guards who can create on their own or create for others, Vital cant do either. He is a spot up shooter, who plays very hard and puts it all out there. He's a warrior but def not best player on team.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Vitals shooting numbers are better bc he primarily takes set jump shots from a pass, and his lay ups are typically uncontested bc he literally cannot get into the lane the way AG gets into the lane. Like I said, numbers don’t tell the full story

Numbers certainly don't tell the whole story, though the advanced metrics heavily favor Vital.

I think Gilbert has the potential and has shown flashes of being a great player, but you're eyes are playing tricks on you if you thought Gilbert was considerably better than Vital last season.

Again, Gilbert could/should be the better player, especially if healthy, but that doesn't make up for the fact that Vital was a significantly better player overall last year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Our best player? Geez I hope not. He deff improved last year from his first two seasons but ideally he comes off the bench. He scores a lot because he takes 50 shots a game. He’s like a fantasy qb stat filler. 2tds/300 yards passing /3 ints/and 1 rushing td. Cam newton type
Please show me one box score where CV put up more than 25 shots
My 8 yo grandson has more knowledge and common sense with UConn BB than your take
Lets be real here
wow

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Vital was our best player last year. We don't want him to be a best player this year if he is our best player this year (unless he made an insane, could possibly get drafted off-season leap) we will have a .500 or losing record. We want Vital in the mix but not our best player. The numbers are important and tell a large story ignoring them is dumb putting all your stock in them is also stupid. Carry on boneyard.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Please show me one box score where CV put up more than 25 shots
My 8 yo grandson has more knowledge and common sense with UConn BB than your take
Lets be real here
wow

This is a spicy take from someone as yourself...

Reaction Score
This thread, smdh. Jalen was disappointing but give me a break, he was better than Vital. Christian got open looks because other teams gameplanned to stop Jalen and Alterique who are better basketball players. Vital plays really hard, can hit open threes, and rebounds really well for a guard but he's a 6'1 guard who can't really dribble or create for others.

Anyone who thinks Vital does anything better than Napier on a basketball court should pick another sport to follow.

Reaction Score
This thread, smdh. Jalen was disappointing but give me a break, he was better than Vital. Christian got open looks because other teams gameplanned to stop Jalen and Alterique who are better basketball players. Vital plays really hard, can hit open threes, and rebounds really well for a guard but he's a 6'1 guard who can't really dribble or create for others.

Anyone who thinks Vital does anything better than Napier on a basketball court should pick another sport to follow.

This.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom