How about Sid? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How about Sid?

Reaction Score
Sid gave us a quick 6-6 shot blocker and now we have a 6-10 Akok who blocks everything.
Gaffney had a 5 assists and 1 turnover yesterday and shot 2 for 3 from three as did Bouk. You can see now why Chief defended him when he was still getting over the injury. I saw a lot of him last season and Chief trusts the eye test.
Danny is correct 10 man rotations don’t work even if you have UK level talent.

Cheif - it's funny you say that about Gaffney. I was talking to an AAU coach who's pretty well respected and he told me he thought of the three freshmen - that Gaffney would be the guy we'd like the most from the off. He said he was a really smart player who doesn't do anything that's gonna blow you away - but he impacts the game in a ton of other ways... and to that point he's correct- but the same can be said of all three of our freshmen. And that's what I like so much about the class as a whole.

Reaction Score
Cheif - it's funny you say that about Gaffney. I was talking to an AAU coach who's pretty well respected and he told me he thought of the three freshmen - that Gaffney would be the guy we'd like the most from the off. He said he was a really smart player who doesn't do anything that's gonna blow you away - but he impacts the game in a ton of other ways... and to that point he's correct- but the same can be said of all three of our freshmen. And that's what I like so much about the class as a whole.

Its a really good class. The one thing we haven't seen this season, which we started to see of Gaffney yesterday is his athleticsm. Because of the ankle injury and playing a timid in his limited minutes, he didn't show that he is the elite athlete from his highschool tape. Now I think we will see more of it.

Reaction Score
I go with Hurley's quote. Sid hasn't devolved, but the kids have developed into players that provide more than Sid. Sid has to put in the effort required to get better than the kids.

Jelly!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think you will all be disappointed in how little Hurley says to clarify this.

Reaction Score
If you listen to Hurley's presser yesterday he said it was Sid's duty to make sure Hurley can't keep him out of lineup.
Whaley has made sure Hurley has to play him this year and I'd bet Whaley does the same next year.
Hurley (or any good coach) doesn't find minutes for players. Players force coaches to find minutes for them.
Whaley plays cause we have 3 post players

Reaction Score
Because Sid AVERAGED 13 minutes per game thru 9 games up until yesterday. Playing the walk ons before him tells me it's more than just a practice issue. Just my opinion.
OR it was simply time to put the walk-ons in the game. Putting Sid in at that time would have come off as vindictive. Message sent without ruining Christmas completely for the kid.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Without reading what Silver had to say in UConn Daily, When I saw this thread reemerge and this tweet, I immediately thought he doesn't practice to the level of Hurley's liking. Sometime it is astonishing what excuses they can hide behind, but they don't just roll the ball out every three or four days and have these guys chase after it.

Yes Allen. "We talkin' 'bout practice," and there's work to be done.

Reaction Score
Lol more like generic athlete quote szn, which is never not in season.

1577130309302.png

Lamar's go-to

Reaction Score
i think you have to go back to the “most nba talent” quote. he had no reason to say that. wasn’t his guy, hadn’t played yet, not a player you’d expect him to mention there but he did. he obviously sees a lot of potential in him that sid has sparingly flashed the last two years. i think this is effort related and DH trying to send a message to work harder.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You can buy that if you like, but playing the walk ons and not playing Sid at all tells me there is a bit more to the story. Objectively, you have to see that.

I believe Hurley is forthcoming saying Sid needs to bring it everyday and force his way in to the rotation.
I'm also eyes wide open in to the reasons behind why Did ain't bringing it everyday.

C

Chief00

I agree with all your points. I think Gaffney can be one of those PG’s. who will be an extension of the coach. Invaluable.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Did you watch Whaley today vs a smaller team? He played excellent did everything no one notices because it's not in box scores. Got to loose balls, hedge/help defense was really good and he got out to the shooter unlike Josh (not a good match up for him not a hammer at him at all). Set picks, rebounded, kept balls alive he had a nice game as the back up. Not sure you throw any of those 2 ahead of him as of yet automatically.
This is the key that unlocks the Sid mystery. Lest we forget Whaley did not get much playing time last season. There was a need for another big and we were confused as to why Whaley didn’t play.

Whaley thought about transferring at the end of last season but after a heart to heart talk with DH he applied himself in the off season.

Hurley felt there was more in Whaley and he wasn’t getting it because Whaley wasn’t working hard enough. Hurley did not reveal the problem until it was solved. The first we heard what was up with Whaley was preseason.

It’s still conjecture but it appears DH believes Sid could significantly improve if he worked harder and he’s sending a message.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is the key that unlocks the Sid mystery. Lest we forget Whaley did not get much playing time last season. There was a need for another big and we were confused as to why Whaley didn’t play.

Whaley thought about transferring at the end of last season but after a heart to heart talk with DH he applied himself in the off season.

Hurley felt there was more in Whaley and he wasn’t getting it because Whaley wasn’t working hard enough. Hurley did not reveal the problem until it was solved. The first we heard what was up with Whaley was preseason.

It’s still conjecture but it appears DH believes Sid could significantly improve if he worked harder and he’s sending a message.
well thought out and written post. It has no place on this board.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Honestly, we cannot read too much into the rotations until we play in conference...that’s when the rotation begins to matter...everything going on know is strategic, and gives Danny the best understanding of who he has going into conference. What happens in crunch time...it is still audition season for Danny...in a couple years that method will probably change
I think we are seeing the end of the 10 man rotation - Dan will probably cut it to 8 for conference and then 7 for the tournament unless the bench really develops into a weapon

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Whaley also played against UNH because Carlton really didn't.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Polley becoming a lights out shooter was very bad news for Sid. Going to need to do the little things. Hurley definitely decided before the game today that Sid was not playing.
Sid offers some things on defense which I don't see much of from Polley. We might see more of Sid when the competition of league play means we will have times where we need stops and rebounds; like coming from behind. I think everyone is rooting for the kid. Perhaps his defense can help give him some confidence on offense; especially on the break. We will need more rebounding than Vital and Carlton.

Reaction Score
Can't see how you can be so sure on any of this
Whalley has the mobility and the mid range shooting that would make him a serviceable 4. A little work on a handle and a few quick step moves to the basket and there is time for him. He sure looked like a player who belonged today, unlike Josh's play the last few games.
Nobody knows what the deal with Sid is so the speculations and regulating him to the end of the bench are premature

I’m sure if two things. First, playing more than 10 guys is too much. 8-9 rotation guys is ideal, so it’s just a process of elimination as to who the odd men out will be. Second, if springs and brown can’t combine to take away whaleys minutes next year then I don’t think we’re gonna be as good as people hope/expect

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Whaley can’t play PF. He’s gonna be joining Wilson at the end of the bench with the addition of Springs and Javonte Brown Ferguson. 10 rotation guys max
Not that you might not be right, but I always find it funny when guys who haven’t played a college game are already putting a guy with 4 years of some experience on the bench for good. Wilson is a guy who lots of people thought was too good not to get major minutes. Athleticism alone doesn’t get the job done for most players at high D1 levels.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom