Houston Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Houston Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hard to tell based on TV coverage but it seemed like Geno got mad at Stewie in the 3rd when Gilbert once again turned on her left shoulder and made another basket in the lane. Just a guess but maybe he emphasized that at the half and she let Gilbert turn that way anyway. She got pulled immediately and he seemed to yell at her when she exited but I'm not sure how long it lasted because camera left that area.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Stats:

FG% 49.1%
3 point FG% 28.6%
Free throws 14-14, 100%
Rebounds 36, 11 offensive
Assists 12 on 28 made baskets
TOs 8 :)

Reaction Score
I think Butler does stop Houston's offense....good job

Reaction Score
Lots of talk about Tuck coming back.. "Geno not so sure she's coming back"

I'm with Geno. Go to the WNBA. - If ofc if she wants to play in WNBA. That knee is brittle. As a fan -- would love to have her stay.

Reaction Score
KLS has at least 4 rebounds deep in the paint tonight.
If she would only jump for them like Gabby, and doesn't need to get that far off the floor. Just enough to get a few more. They were available.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Like a Chinese fire drill in the first quarter
Gabby was fab, Kia calmed down, Butler's usefulness apparent, Moriah not completely right
Katie Lou is a gamer.
Sonia and Phessa got caught up in the early hysterics.
Maybe Chong as well. Hard to tell how she's feeling
Amazing how much they missed Morgan
They were fine w/o Moriah...not so much w/o Morgan.

Reaction Score
Stats:

FG% 49.1%
3 point FG% 28.6%
Free throws 14-14, 100%
Rebounds 36, 11 offensive
Assists 12 on 28 made baskets
TOs 8 :)
Butler, Gabby and KLS combined for 21 rebs.....

Reaction Score

Why did Gneo pull BS? Her defense was awful. The last basket I believe she allowed the post to go inside without much opposition- didn't body her at all - then Stewie could have kept her near the baseline, all of sudden Stewie over-commits for no reason at all- or maybe she is just trying to block the shot instead of also concentrating on positioning.. The kid is able to now go right and use her left shoulder to fend off Stewie. The announcer said the same thing about she was able to use her shoulder. IMO the announcer probably thought - "Why the hell did Stewie allow that?"

Then I think you can see in the background Geno on the sidelines stomping mad- he immediately signals to the bench for Butler. That play was inexcusable for an experienced player like Stewie. And rightfully so he benched Stewie the rest of the game. OFC once Butler came in things turned. I think others came in.

I thought Butler and Gabby played well.
I thought KLS had a good 2nd half not great but good.
I thought Nurse had a good 4th qtr.

I love KLS - love her - she has to be able to hit 3's- but as much as I love her- boy is Geno going to get on her over the next 3 years or so. On rebounding sometimes and defense overall she goes very soft. Not a little soft. OFC I'm saying while I'm sitting on my fat arse with a bag of doritos.

Reaction Score
I bet Geno is resting Napheesa, Stewie and Mo for Sunday.

Or they could be in the doghouse. Who knows.

He was resting BS because she deserved to be benched. The team played much better when she was out.
NC didn't play much in 2nd half because she wasn't doing anything.

They were resting alright. The same way KLS rested a few games ago.

IMO Mo resting not because being benched- she just didn't look quite right.

Reaction Score
Butler completely shut down Gilbert (only 6 pts) in 2nd half.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Give Deb Antonelli her due for casting the lone AA vote for Morgan. I guarantee she'll get many more votes if she comes back.
I believe Deb was talking about her vote fromlasdt year. Morgan should get plenty of AA votes this year.

Reaction Score
Hard to tell based on TV coverage but it seemed like Geno got mad at Stewie in the 3rd when Gilbert once again turned on her left shoulder and made another basket in the lane. Just a guess but maybe he emphasized that at the half and she let Gilbert turn that way anyway. She got pulled immediately and he seemed to yell at her when she exited but I'm not sure how long it lasted because camera left that area.

I just saw your post. I replied to another poster on the same subject. I saw the same thing. And I think Deb Antonelli said something about it. And I'm sure Deb Antonelli was also thinking "what the hell are you doing Stewie?"

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I agree with this 100%. They haven't all worked, but I love the idea. This is also the reason I never thought Butler's perceived (by some posters) slowness in running the floor would hinder our transition game. Sometimes a transition game's best friend is a defensive rebound followed by a strong outlet pass.
Jumbo- guilty as charged! I was one of them. I like having 5 extremely agile and fast players on the court. But her def rebounds and ability to keep the ball high, and find streaking players down court is awesome and makes fast breaks a real threat every shot! Mia Culpa!

Reaction Score
WNBA isn't big enough money. She said she wants a Masters degree, which would serve her much better in the future. I think she gets it.

It's not the WNBA money it is the overseas money. When you add overseas PLUS WNBA for a top-tier pick I think it's definitely worth it.

Secondly, I think she can work on her master's degree while she plays professionally.

And as I said -- if she really wants to be a pro player and travel around the world playing basketball - why blow that chance if your knee can go out then it is all over - forever? Everything you worked for your whole life. And the feeling of competition that you have "lived" your whole life. .

I'm sorry - but imo future is much better if you play pro, travel overseas and continue to meet people from all over the world, while being exposed on TV for more time - while getting your masters. Wonderful opportunity to play pro ball in both WNBA and Overseas.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Geno pulled Collier right after a Houston player hit a long shot, a player who she evidently was guarding and overall she did not look good. That's ironic because, the St. Louis Post Dispatch newspaper's sports section had a front page article on her today.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
WNBA isn't big enough money. She said she wants a Masters degree, which would serve her much better in the future. I think she gets it.
WNBA + overseas money significantly better than masters degree with no experience.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
All that goes away if Tuck is on the court and KSL sticks her 3's.

Tuck would likely be bothered by the zone and that's a big if with KLS considering she's still shaky from outside. UConn still has the talent to beat any style, but those options seem the best for opponents.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Jumbo- guilty as charged! I was one of them. I like having 5 extremely agile and fast players on the court. But her def rebounds and ability to keep the ball high, and find streaking players down court is awesome and makes fast breaks a real threat every shot! Mia Culpa!
Geno-ista, by all means, no mea culpa necessary! There's more than one way to score in transition, and I certainly wouldn't argue with a strategy of having five very fast players on the court. I just didn't think having Butler out there would slow us down all that much. Only my opinion. (I would've said this back when it was being discussed more in the offseason, but I didn't stop lurking and start posting until last week.)

I too like the way Natalie keeps the ball high after grabbing a defensive rebound. She's occasionally held the ball lower on the offensive end and been tied up a couple times, but I'd expect that to happen less often as her thumb returns to normal and she becomes more comfortable receiving passes, etc.

Reaction Score
Tuck would likely be bothered by the zone and that's a big if with KLS considering she's still shaky from outside. UConn still has the talent to beat any style, but those options seem the best for opponents.

Zone hasn't stopped Tuck this year and then trapping Stewie - you better have size to do it - and Stewie is a fine passer. One time or two times it might surprise after that - Tuck will cut on opposite side of the whoever is trapping Stewie And if the double isn't quick enough Stewie can shoot over anyone. With her arms and athleticism -- I think a consistent-effective trap on Stewie is a bigger IF than at least a decent KLS knocking down 3's. I've never seen it work for any decent time this year vs Stewie while I have seen KLS in some games drill 3's.

Too much experience and talent for the UCONN duo in the paint and once Stewie passes back out - - the guards can attack the basket if Tuck hangs out at mid-range. Tuck has a beauty mid-range game too. And now that you have two bigs doubling Stewie - I think to be effective you need two, you're defensive rebounding becomes messed up.

SO far this year before this game the UCONN offense and Tuck haven't really been stopped yet this year, have they? SO while the zone keeps UCONN from scoring 120 points, it hasn't prevented them enough to struggle offensively. Their offense has rolled vs top-tier teams even while they haven't shot so hot.

I think what you propose can work. Many things can. A team can play them a gimmick defense box and one or triangle and two. Or if you drive enough get UCONN in foul trouble. I just think thought the more you gimmick the more you pray - and the more you have to pray- the quicker the chance you have to get blown out. But it can work what you say.
But there is a reason why Stewie has 50 assists and just 22 turnovers and Tuck has 43 assists and 18 turnovers. They are VERY experienced and pass VERY well. Unlike for example the MD girl - Jones who had 0 assists and 5 turnovers vs UCONN. And leading up to that point her assist numbers were anemic for a such a high-powered MD offense. With Jones- she is much easier to double.

With the passing and experience - you could be asking for big trouble. Anything can happen though in one game.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I believe Deb was talking about her vote fromlasdt year. Morgan should get plenty of AA votes this year.
Actually, I think meant pre-season this year.

Reaction Score
He was resting BS because she deserved to be benched. The team played much better when she was out.
NC didn't play much in 2nd half because she wasn't doing anything.

They were resting alright. The same way KLS rested a few games ago.

IMO Mo resting not because being benched- she just didn't look quite right.

I think she was ill. Just before he took her out, the camera isolated on her and she was coughing uncontrollably. She has been fighting the flu the last several weeks; a relapse perhaps?

Reaction Score
I think she was ill. Just before he took her out, the camera isolated on her and she was coughing uncontrollably. She has been fighting the flu the last several weeks; a relapse perhaps?

That would explain it. Thank you. She looked very soft.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is another 4 games in eight day stretch with lots of travel, so I think Geno was happy to rest Morgan, and then pull Breanna before the end of the third quarter, and Moriah early in the fourth. The old ladies of the team need their rest! I also picked up on that shot of Stewart coughing so I think she is probably not 100%.

The team struggled mightily in the first quarter, but they still ended up scoring 76 points with Stewart out for the fourth and Morgan out for the game ... not that bad a result. And the final margin of 39 isn't too shabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom