Houston Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Houston Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not the WNBA money it is the overseas money. When you add overseas PLUS WNBA for a top-tier pick I think it's definitely worth it.

Secondly, I think she can work on her master's degree while she plays professionally.

And as I said -- if she really wants to be a pro player and travel around the world playing basketball - why blow that chance if your knee can go out then it is all over - forever? Everything you worked for your whole life. And the feeling of competition that you have "lived" your whole life. .

I'm sorry - but imo future is much better if you play pro, travel overseas and continue to meet people from all over the world, while being exposed on TV for more time - while getting your masters. Wonderful opportunity to play pro ball in both WNBA and Overseas.
Of course she can play here and there, and then get her Masters (or work for it between gigs), but she certainly recognizes the short lifetime of pro basketball for her (knee).

Reaction Score
WNBA isn't big enough money. She said she wants a Masters degree, which would serve her much better in the future. I think she gets it.

There's no substitute for a good education. That's a gift you give yourself for a lifetime. Statistically, the well-educated make significantly more money than those with less. Morgan seems too smart to give up what she calls a "free" Master's degree. There is life after sports.

Reaction Score
There's no substitute for a good education. That's a gift you give yourself for a lifetime. Statistically, the well-educated make significantly more money than those with less. Morgan seems too smart to give up what she calls a "free" Master's degree. There is life after sports.
Morgan said very clearly that she "definitely" will return and finish her master degree.
I don't understand why some people here still insist WNBA and oversea have more money and better for her.

Can we just respect Morgan's word and leave her alone?

Reaction Score
When Stewie and Mo were out everyone wondered who would be harder to replace. Tonight showed the most difficult player for Uconn to replace on the floor this season is....Morgan Tuck.
The Huskies could have been out of it from a long plane ride but they all were atrocious from outside in the first half and Morgan's inside dominance and calming effect was sorely missed.
Also, after 2 or 3 very good games, why is Geno again having Saniya riding the bench? Could the Illio-Tibial Band be flaring up again? Chong was played sparingly in the second half. Did not even make an appearance in garbage time.
Just wondering if something is physically wrong or is Geno just resting her or has he put her in the doghouse yet again for something real or imaged? Seems the least little thing and she is on the bench yet some other can play terribly quarter after quarter and game after game and nothing happens to them. Wild drives to the hoop, missed layups, bricks from three, turnstile man up defense and bad fouls that look more like hockey than basketball and yet they staying.

Reaction Score
Overseas is very physical and overseas AND WNBA is brutal on a questionable knee.

I agree. And that's why she'll get paid a lot of money too and once she gets her masters she is going to do exactly that- go into the WNBA AND play overseas, right?

Reaction Score

Well I'm with Geno on this. She has worked all her life to get to the point of being a professional player. She hasn't worked all her life to get a free education. She worked all her life to be a pro player. SO she pays for her masters for one year with the very good money she gets from overseas and WNBA.

She still gets a good education WHILE doing what she has had a dream to do all her life. What more substitution is there than this?

Reaction Score
Morgan said very clearly that she "definitely" will return and finish her master degree.
I don't understand why some people here still insist WNBA and oversea have more money and better for her.

Did you listen to the game last night? Did you hear that Geno had recommended she go? I don't know why you get so defensive on this? What's the big deal we have a discussion on this? Al that I said was - I'm with Geno on this-- BUT as a fan would LOVE to see her back. Is that so bad? They spoke about it on TV. I didn't create the subject.

Reaction Score
When Stewie and Mo were out everyone wondered who would be harder to replace. Tonight showed the most difficult player for Uconn to replace on the floor this season is....Morgan Tuck.
The Huskies could have been out of it from a long plane ride but they all were atrocious from outside in the first half and Morgan's inside dominance and calming effect was sorely missed.
Also, after 2 or 3 very good games, why is Geno again having Saniya riding the bench? Could the Illio-Tibial Band be flaring up again? Chong was played sparingly in the second half. Did not even make an appearance in garbage time.
Just wondering if something is physically wrong or is Geno just resting her or has he put her in the doghouse yet again for something real or imaged? Seems the least little thing and she is on the bench yet some other can play terribly quarter after quarter and game after game and nothing happens to them. Wild drives to the hoop, missed layups, bricks from three, turnstile man up defense and bad fouls that look more like hockey than basketball and yet they staying.

I don't know why she got benched last night. But SC was throwing up bricks from 3 too, right? And her defense couldn't have been that great because as she played a bit in the 1st half - the 1sthalf - that's when the defense was at it's worst, right? I don't know though if it was her but Houston did dictate tempo.

But I think it's because of Chong's limitations. My guess is you are frustrated more that Nurse is playing when she seems to playing badly at times - then why not use Chong more? My guess is - we know Geno thinks Chong plays as you put it turnstile defense (obviously not that bad.). If Chong isn't scoring - what else can she do well? Nurse gives a physicality that UCONN needs which is rebounding and toughness - of which those aren't the strongest team attributes overall for this specific team until Butler arrived.

Only a guess I made up here- other than Chong can do one thing well- which is shoot to score. Passes okay for a guard. the others do other things than shoot to score which Geno seems to have preference for.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did you listen to the game last night? Did you hear that Geno had recommended she go? I don't know why you get so defensive on this? What's the big deal we have a discussion on this? Al that I said was - I'm with Geno on this-- BUT as a fan would LOVE to see her back. Is that so bad? They spoke about it on TV. I didn't create the subject.
Pam Ward didn't say that Geno recommended Morgan go pro; she said he "wasn't so sure" she'd be back. Not exactly the same thing.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I've been wondering about the Chong situation as well. She was pulled right after that nifty floater midway through the third quarter. I hope it was for rest, but I wonder about something she may have done, or not done, on the defensive end.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think he did - the only clear 'horses mouth' on this is from the last Geno show - he definitely said that the players who leave early really don't seem to love the college and academic environment and those that stay do, and Morgan seems to really enjoy it. And Morgan clearly said she is intending to stay and complete a masters.

For any athlete whose first 'job' is going to be an un-guaranteed $50,000 who has the option to get a masters degree for free with free training, medical, room, and board that will improve her future earnings potential after her professional career (worth at least $50,000) it seems like a pretty good deal. Add in the fact that every athletes next game might be their last, it makes even more sense. These are not athletes signing their first contracts for millions of dollars like those entering the NFL or NBA who with that first contract have at least set themselves up for at least a few years should their career end early. Fo Morgan who does not have a clean medical history it makes even more sense to get a masters.

Reaction Score
Pam Ward didn't say that Geno recommended Morgan go pro; she said he "wasn't so sure" she'd be back. Not exactly the same thing.

Have you heard Geno thinks she should go pro?

Reaction Score
I don't think he did - the only clear 'horses mouth' on this is from the last Geno show - he definitely said that the players who leave early really don't seem to love the college and academic environment and those that stay do, and Morgan seems to really enjoy it. And Morgan clearly said she is intending to stay and complete a masters.

For any athlete whose first 'job' is going to be an un-guaranteed $50,000 who has the option to get a masters degree for free with free training, medical, room, and board that will improve her future earnings potential after her professional career (worth at least $50,000) it seems like a pretty good deal. Add in the fact that every athletes next game might be their last, it makes even more sense. These are not athletes signing their first contracts for millions of dollars like those entering the NFL or NBA who with that first contract have at least set themselves up for at least a few years should their career end early. Fo Morgan who does not have a clean medical history it makes even more sense to get a masters.

Again I disagree with those of you who just look the WNBA as the primary source of income. I want her to stay too as a UCONN fan. But you can't ignore she will probably be a high draft pick and certainly have an opportunity to play overseas and get some darn good bucks.

And were they talking about her knee last night how it will hold up?

Didn't they say something about "only so many miles in that knee?"

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
You're kidding, right? They won by 39 points.

See the beginning of the game?
Played like a chicken with their head cut off.
the lack of poise was pretty dismaying
Doesn't matter how much they won by.
the lack of composure was pretty alarming
And I attribute it to the absence of Morgan.
Then they figured out how to reconnect; led by Gabby
the D took over as the boss said
And the game got back into control.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Personally, I think there are too many unknowns about why Geno sat players yesterday. Could be doghouse time, nagging injuries, caution about aggravating almost healed injuries, persistent illnesses hitting the team, resting players due to the current travel schedule and the possibility of USF giving the team a good run for the money, or some combination thereof.

I realize that speculation is part of the charm and fun of these boards, but as regards why players have found their way to the bench, and whether or not Tuck will come back for her senior year, are matters that I am content to find out as events unfold.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Again I disagree with those of you who just look the WNBA as the primary source of income. I want her to stay too as a UCONN fan. But you can't ignore she will probably be a high draft pick and certainly have an opportunity to play overseas and get some darn good bucks.

And were they talking about her knee last night how it will hold up?

Didn't they say something about "only so many miles in that knee?"
I am not thinking of only the WNBA, but that is her first paycheck, and with a knee that requires her to rest at times during a 5 month college season, playing a twelve month long schedule of games is probably not a good idea for her, so she will definitely have a choice to make. And the medical and training staff available overseas is spotty at its best, and if you are injured, they just stop paying you.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And yet on TV this week she once again said she is returning.

Reaction Score
Then they figured out how to reconnect; led by Gabby
the D took over as the boss said
And the game got back into control.

All with Tuck still on the bench. And they won by 39.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Overseas definitely has more money compared to WNBA or a masters degree with no experience-that is undisputed. What is best for Moran will be determined by Morgan and her parents-also undisputed. Morgan leaving is a possibility- possibilities lead to speculation until about the second week in April.

Reaction Score

That's a way over-interpretation of anything she's said. She has said she is definitely planning on coming back. Way short of any sort of commitment or promise or giving her "word."

Reaction Score
Why did Gneo pull BS? Her defense was awful. The last basket I believe she allowed the post to go inside without much opposition- didn't body her at all - then Stewie could have kept her near the baseline, all of sudden Stewie over-commits for no reason at all- or maybe she is just trying to block the shot instead of also concentrating on positioning.. The kid is able to now go right and use her left shoulder to fend off Stewie. The announcer said the same thing about she was able to use her shoulder. IMO the announcer probably thought - "Why the hell did Stewie allow that?"

Then I think you can see in the background Geno on the sidelines stomping mad- he immediately signals to the bench for Butler. That play was inexcusable for an experienced player like Stewie. And rightfully so he benched Stewie the rest of the game. OFC once Butler came in things turned. I think others came in.

I thought Butler and Gabby played well.
I thought KLS had a good 2nd half not great but good.
I thought Nurse had a good 4th qtr.

I love KLS - love her - she has to be able to hit 3's- but as much as I love her- boy is Geno going to get on her over the next 3 years or so. On rebounding sometimes and defense overall she goes very soft. Not a little soft. OFC I'm saying while I'm sitting on my fat arse with a bag of doritos.
With KLS it's easy to see the potential of greatness as she clearly got the tools, the hight and the basketball iq. She needs to become stronger physically!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom