Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

So the answer is "unknown". Hard to believe it would cost them $150mm to leave now. It looks like the "wait it out and let the conference implode " approach makes the most sense.

Reaction Score
The context of this thread is CR and people making the ludicrous assumption that WBB has any pull relative the current environment . It has zero. I would much rather watch the best at a sport, as most. A D3 BB team would destroy UConn WBB.

Silly. I HOPE ... this was worth you spitting up little of last night's bbq chicken. LOOK ... it is all out of our hands. We root for a State U in a small state. But soon all that's gonna be left is Alabama (a small state) + ND + Texas Austin. Weeping this week are Cyclones, Mountaineers, BaylorBears and Jayhawks; and others ... if they knew what is coming in just a short period.

If eyeballs want to watch WBB, you have pull. We all don't know where this is gonna be in 10 years; which is a helluba difference from 1975

Reaction Score
The context of this thread is CR and people making the ludicrous assumption that WBB has any pull relative the current environment . It has zero. I would much rather watch the best at a sport, as most. A D3 BB team would destroy UConn WBB.
WBB does have pull in a streaming environment. UConn's women's basketball is an underrated media asset.

Reaction Score
Texas is cueing up the Clash....maybe it will be better for the Big 12 to let them go a year or so early...

Should I stay or should I go now
If I go there will be trouble
And if I stay it will be double
So ya gotta let me know
Should I cool it or should I blow?
Should I stay or should I go ?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
WBB does have pull in a streaming environment. UConn's women's basketball is an underrated media asset.
You can tell that the poster arguing otherwise hasn't cut the cord, rhetorically at least.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whoa, don't let those moving goalposts knock you over buddy.

What you said was that UConn Woman's Basket "has no value." Do you now concede that that statement was demonstrably false?

Once we concede (and frankly everyone knows it, even you) that UConn WBB has value then you have believe that any reasonably intelligent decision maker would take that value into account. Now, as I have noted, no one is going to offer Connecticut conference membership because our WBB team, but I guarantee you there is a computation of the value, including potential subscribers, if they are doing an even vaguely competent evaluation.

Reaction Score
The OU and UT moves to the SEC have been in the works for months. ESPN has probably been been playing chess for months to determine the disposition of its other assets in the wake of that now-public bombshell. Each of us has institution-centric views which favor our alma maters, but those opinions mean nothing unless they happen to coincide with what ESPN wants, and what it wants has probably been decided already. Stay tuned as events slowly unfold.

Funny you mention that because as callers express their angst or giddiness with the pundits at these moves on ESPNU, it's as if the network and it's influence cease to exist. The fans understanding fluctuates between shallow and nuanced, but never do the show hosts talk about how their network primarily uses it's leverage to influence outcomes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO Alabama will have more competition in recruiting with these additions. How much and how soon is the question, but OU and Texas could get a quick bump.

Reaction Score
UT fans want to go to the Big Ten. I suppose the Big Ten can squat and wait it out for the next move.

Unless the SEC schools develop into prestigious schools, which is possible, the Big Ten still has the upper hand.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
maybe it will be better for the Big 12 to let them go a year or so early...
From a headache perspective, sure. But as soon as TX & OK are gone, the fat paychecks get a lot smaller. Monetarily it's better to string it out to 2025 and keep the cash coming.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
My two cents:
  • F the Big 12. This is karma for the goat rodeo they put us through a few years ago. I welcome the new P4, but F them too (see below).
  • F the SEC. They are the Augustus Gloop of the NCAA Wonka Factory.
  • F the B1G. They are a bunch of elitist snobs with overrated athletics and academics.
  • F the ACC. Any conference that selects Louisville over UCONN for admission is either too dumb, shortsighted, and/or greedy to be taken seriously as a collegiate conference.
  • Cheers for AD Dave for getting us into the NBE/football independence at the right time.
  • Cheers to RE 2.0 and team for recruiting PLAYERS for the independent football team.
However, I will drop the NBE/independence like an overheated burrito if a P4 conference comes calling.

Reaction Score
sorry

I just don't find the National college football scene that interesting if it is only a SEC thing. For your generic Mississippi State, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia scrum, I don't think I care about spending two-four hours of a Autumn afternoon watching. I don't want to hear Penn State fans opine how WVU isn't worthy of their media rights number; NO ... Texas is doing what we all know Texans do. The idea that College Football means everthing - imho - is one of diminishing interest. What matters is rivalry ... what matters with WBB at UCONN is the stories; the games are interesting and the development of student athletes. I don't care how much the Florida State coach makes nor the new SEC deal at ESPN. Find me a office coffee room in LA the week of the USC v UCLA game ... and I will perk up.

It gives me no solace to know 15 Universities are confronting the angst UCONN faced a decade ago. I can be happy - I found - in 10 other sports rather than a SEC day

Maybe ESPN is in tune with you...with so many entertainment options available for viewers...maybe focusing on a smaller 64 team league makes some sense.

Reaction Score

I would make them stay. They absolutely want this to be settled and just write a check. You can get into those negotiations or you can just say this is the contract. Live with it. Nobody has really been willing to hold the line but the Grant of Rights is a little more complicated. Makes the exit fee just that much higher. If you can force Texas and Oklahoma to hang around for 4 years, who knows what happens.

Reaction Score
The word from down south is that the college football model will ultimately look more like the NFL structure of conferences and divisions. BTW, I was told that ESPN (DISNEY) is fully engaged in these efforts and has been crouching behind the wizard curtain. The new structure has been unofficially branded as "NFL Saturday". There's talk of an expanded ACC and PAC 16/20 (?), with both coastal conferences forming the "bread of a football sandwich" with the SEC and B1G as the meat filling. All the PAC and ACC Olympic sports would be played within each conference but each year a select rotating group of their football (perhaps basketball) teams would travel cross country to play vs each other. It's now looking like 16 (some say 20) in each of the four conferences. The scramble is on.
I was also told by a Texas buddy that last weekend's quieting of A&M's response was due to a private spanking by the SEC, who essentially told the Aggies that they better not try and screw up the TX/OU move. "This deal alone is worth $75M to each member school--and you can be voted out!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom